RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Randy Newsom news

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Randy Newsom news

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Check out his recent blog entry....some very deep, interesting stuff he says:

http://www.dugoutcentral.com/blog/?p=1966
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Randy Newsom news

Postby lofgren09 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:52 pm

I don't know about nobody booing him at all. He almost choked the playoffs away against Bowie, and even I booed him
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I lost my heart...

That worry changed me a lot and for the first time baseball became a job

I wonder how many other players had the same thing happen.

The Indians may be good at managing on the field stuff but I think they are sorely lacking in managing the mental aspects of the players. Minors and ML.

Moving players so slow through the system just frustrates them and sets them up to not perform up to their abilities. They press and lose their enthusiasm for the game.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby lofgren09 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Ryan Goleski for example.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MickS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Goleski didn't exactly tear it up in his big chance with the A's either. Is that the Tribe front office's fault too?
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:10 pm

lofgren09 wrote:I don't know about nobody booing him at all. He almost choked the playoffs away against Bowie, and even I booed him

hmm....'don't know about nobody'.....sorry, but double negatives really bug me, lol

And who boos at a minor league game, seriously.....

eh, you gotta walk a fine line sometimes. Yeah keeping guys down can really hurt them, but rushing them to the bigs too fast can also really hurt them (Marte for example). You get rushed too fast and you lose your confidence and start pressing. Cabrera had this problem with Seattle, which (foolishly) led to him getting traded to us for Perez. They jumped him up to AAA and wanted to rush him to the bigs....he pressed very hard at AAA though. Tribe moved him back down to AA in 2007, where he got his confidence back....and well you know the rest.

Having seen Newsom pitch a few times.....I like him...but his stuff isn't anything overly special. Could be a nice ML reliever....or could be a Mastny/Mujica up there....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby lofgren09 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Goleski did tear it up at Kinston/Akron in 2006 had 27 hrs and 106 rbi and hit over .300 and he was stuck at Akron the following year.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:
I lost my heart...

That worry changed me a lot and for the first time baseball became a job

I wonder how many other players had the same thing happen.

The Indians may be good at managing on the field stuff but I think they are sorely lacking in managing the mental aspects of the players. Minors and ML.

Moving players so slow through the system just frustrates them and sets them up to not perform up to their abilities. They press and lose their enthusiasm for the game.

Yeah, Duane, I know you have been waiting for that piece where I talk about some of this stuff. But, if you look at Randy's comments in his blog everything I have been talking about before about guys being frustrated starting at a level lower than they think they should have or the slow progression in the system is laid out in his words. Randy is an upfront and honest guy....maybe too much. He and I talk often, and I saw exactly what he is talking about plain as day during my last visit to Akron in late August when he and I talked off the record for 20 minutes about stuff.

I gotta commend him though for putting it all out there and doing what he can to rekindle that spirit of the game. Without that passion, you have no fire and do not perform to the best of your abilities. When i first read his blog entry I for a second there thought he was about to announce his retirement though! I'd have flown to Venezuela and knocked him out if that would have happened because I think he is going to get that chance with someone this year. When he does get that chance, he will be completely re-energized.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby lofgren09 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:22 pm

To get things straight, I am not an English major, and the reason I booed was because I was cold and tired and wanted to go home, and he wasn't going to get the outs needed to end the game.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

ha, I laughed because that's something you learn in like the 1st grade.....no need to be an English Major.

Fair enough I guess....I'm not a fan of EVER booing the home team (unless of course you're on the road watching your team) unless a player isn't hustling or giving him all (aka, Manny being Manny times or when Garko didn't run out that grounder). Times like that you boo. Not when a guy is struggling.

I find it interesting that the 'harshest' fans in sports are said to be the Philly fans.....where they have only won 1 WS in their 100+ year history......Indians (and all of Cleveland fans) are right up on that list and have won 2 WS in their 100+ year history.....Sensing a bit of a pattern here......

Hard to win when you're getting booed at home....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm

I havent see Newsom pitcher in person and the only side armers I remember really for the Indians are Olin and Matt Miller are either of them similar comps, he has a good track record would rather see him than mujicca who I seem to irrationally dislike
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby lofgren09 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Seriously i dont see how Newsom is considered a prospect at all. The only thing with him is he induces ground balls at a high rate. But when he gets hit, he gets lit up like a Christmas tree. He will never see any time with the Indians. His fastball sits at like 84. He also has some control issues. Not a good combo. Seriously someone who wanted to sell stock of himself when he cant get out of Akron doesn't deserved to be hyped.
lofgren09
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm

FWIW.... Newsom was lit up even worse in his second outing.

Allowed 3 runs without recording an out..... his ERA now sits at a sample size affected 81.00 (0.2IP, 6ER).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MickS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm

lofgren09 wrote:Goleski did tear it up at Kinston/Akron in 2006 had 27 hrs and 106 rbi and hit over .300 and he was stuck at Akron the following year.

In the prospect world 2006 was a lifetime ago. Good numbers at high A ball a few years ago can't outweigh his recent dismal seasons as he tried to move up the ranks. I think falling flat on his face as a major leaguer for Oakland counts for more than a good season at Kinston in 2006.
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:59 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:FWIW.... Newsom was lit up even worse in his second outing.

Allowed 3 runs without recording an out..... his ERA now sits at a sample size affected 81.00 (0.2IP, 6ER).

And the beat rolls on for our young Indians pitchers this offseason....
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:13 pm

MickS wrote:Goleski didn't exactly tear it up in his big chance with the A's either. Is that the Tribe front office's fault too?

:roll:
The guy was injured. He had wrist surgery 3 months before ST.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby MickS » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:
MickS wrote:Goleski didn't exactly tear it up in his big chance with the A's either. Is that the Tribe front office's fault too?

:roll:
The guy was injured. He had wrist surgery 3 months before ST.

How's he looking now? And how old is he?
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby TheWord » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Add Goleski to the list of one year wonder prospects who will never see the big leagues.
TheWord
Rookie Baller

Postby jhonny » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 pm

That's exactly the type of pressure players get when they actually make it to the Show. Things don't come easy in the majors, there's no reason pretend they do in how you operate your minor league system.

Baseball is a job, and a grind. And it's tough to improve and make adjustments. I don't think systems that promote people really quickly have much different results than the Indians do. I'm not taling about the great minor league players, either. I'm talking about the average type - the Newsoms, the Goleskis, etc.

When you're a niche relief pitcher, either you dominate (like that kid in Akron, or Chad Bradford from moneyball) in the minors or you don't get called up.
jhonny
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Indians Prospect Talk