RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Catchers for 2009

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Catchers for 2009

Postby osueddy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm certainly not an expert like most of you guys are on here, but my favorite part of the offseason is just anticipating where the players will end up to start the season. Here is my attempt to guess where they will be, though I hope to just start some discussion so I can here from all of you. Thanks again Tony for the great website....I like the new format.

The ages listed below are their ages during the '09 season. I'd like to talk about the 1st Basemen sometime next week.

Cleveland
Victor Martinez (30) .278 - .337 - 2 - 35 (266 AB)

Kelly Shoppach (29) .261 - .348 - 21 - 55 (352)

This is solid unless Shapiro unloads Shoppach. If that happens is Toregas or Gimenez ready to be a ML backup? Or would the Indians keep someone like Fasano?

Columbus
Chris Gimenez (26) Akr - .339 - .487 - 6 - 26 (177)
Buf - .272 - .354 - 3 - 19 (195)

Wyatt Toregas (26) Buf - .219 - .301 - 2 - 25 (155)
Akr - .296 - .371 - 12 - 35 (162)

Once again, without a trade these two seem set. They both performed well at Akron last year, but who will do well in AAA.

Akron
Carlos Santana (23) Inl. Emp. - .323 - .431 - 14 - 96 (350)
Kin. - .352 - .452 - 6 - 19 (105)
Akr - .125 - .125 - 1 - 2 (8)

Alex Castillo (23) Kin - .226 - .271 - 8 - 44 (265)

One reason the Indians can trade Shoppach is Santana. I'm not sure if Castillo can/will be the backup here. He probably needs another year at Kinston. Would they sign another filler like Espino here?

Kinston
Brian Juhl (23) Kin - .240 - .366 - 3 - 21 (121)

Adam Davis (24) Kin - .203 - .283 - 4 - 16 (148)
LC - .196 - .307 - 3 - 17 (194)

Doug Pickens (24) LC - .235 - .356 - 1 - 18 (149)
MV - .226 - .330 - 1 - 7 (84)

Juhl and Pickens don't appear to be ML talent, and Adam Davis struggled hitting with the transition to C from 2B. I wish Matt McBride were healthy enough to catch, but he hits well enough to not be at Kinston. Castillo would be nice to have here at Kinston.

Lake County
Richard Martinez (22) LC - .304 - .413 - 5 - 13 (135)
Kin - .182 - .357 - 0 - 0 (11)

Michael Valadez (23) LC - .242 - .308 - 1 - 14 (132)
MV - .271 - .302 - 0 - 3 (59)

I thought Richard Martinez was surprising last year in limited at bats at LC. Is high draft pick Alcombrack ready to make the move away for the NYPL?

Mahoning Valley / Arizona League Indians
Robert Alcombrack (21) MV - .248 - .322 - 1 - 13 (165)
Chun-Hsiu Chen (20) GCL - .261 - .336 - 3 - 15 (115)
Juan Aponte (21) GCL - .183 - .272 - 0 - 10 (71)
Moises Montero (19) GCL - .042 - .179 - 0 - 2 (24)

Catchers that have been released (or possibly released?)
Sal Fasano
Yamid Haad
Armanda Camacaro
Damaso Espino
Zach Booker
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Re: Catchers for 2009

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:33 am

Shoppach most certainly will be traded.

No way both Gimenez and Toregas are at Buffalo. One is either in Cleveland (Toregas) or one is traded or picked up in rule 5 if unprotected (Gimenez). The backup at Buffalo will be one of Camacaro or Fasano.

At Akron Santana is obviously the starter, and one of Juhl or Castillo is the backup. Maybe Camacaro if he is brought back and Fasano is in Buffalo (or somehow Gimenez and Toregas are in Buffalo).

At Kinston McBride will be the regular starter and I would have to believe any of Juhl, Castillo, Pickens or Valadez is the backup. Two of those four are likely released. Also Adam Davis likely is released too and doesn't get out of spring training.

Lake County will likely see Alcombrack as the starter or splitting time with Rich Martinez.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:20 pm

Tony,
I see you are remembering Santana in this case. :lol:

On a serious note, I recall you saying that Santana could step in for VMart on an extended period if necessary IF Vmart got hurt and Shoppach had been dealt. Do you think that is the case as soon as Spring Training or more a later in the season possibility, say come June or July??

On another note: while the club seemed pleased by Sal Fasano's contributions this season, any idea on how Sal felt he was treated and taken care of?? While the Tribe might want Sal back in another capacity, he still has to want that too.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:29 pm

I don't recall saying Santana is ready to take over for an extended period for Vic if he was hurt......I do think by the end of the season that could maybe be the case, but he projects as more an option in 2010. He still has a lot to prove in 2009 at Akron and maybe Columbus.

If Vic gets hurt, so be it. I mean, who takes over for Sizemore if he gets hurt? Peralta? We just can't afford to keep a bona fide staritng catching option on the bench to backup Vic in fear of Vic getting hurt. Shoppach needs to be used as currency in a trade to get a frontline starter....and I would be fine with Fasano, Toregas, or Gimenez as the backup.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Tony,
I think you misunderstood me. I am fine trading Shoppach to fill some or all of our other needs (I can hope can't I).

The reference to Santana stepping in came from an earlier thread here or at tfc.com. When the idea of Shoppach getting dealt came up, I (and others) wondered about 'the worst case scenario' and you pointed out that Santana would likely get the everyday opportunity over Wyatt or Chris. I was trying to follow-up here and see if there was a point when that might be.

From the response above, I get the idea that you might have changed your stance on that one. Santana might get a chance in the majors (due to injury in 2009) but it would likely be after an opportunity is afforded Wyatt/ Chris (in 2009).

Edited to add ( ) to final paragraph -mt88
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Oh no, Santana will be an everyday guy. Just not this year until maybe late if in fact Victor is hurt. If Shop is traded and Vic is hurt early in the year, then you'd likely see some sort of platoon with Gimenez and Toregas. If Fasano is a non-roster player in Columbus, he could be added to the mix at that time as well.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:38 am

If Shoppach is traded (which I also think will happen), then I'd like to see Fasano tabbed as Vic's backup. He's a vet and worked great with the pitchers. I think if you paired him up with Sowers next year (I'm still high on Sowers and think 2009 is gonna be the year he busts out), I think you'll be suprised with the nice results. Sal will make a great coach someday and will give us that extra vet on the bench (much like Trot in 2007) that's so invaluable.

I also think you could possibly see both Gimenez and Toregas at AAA next year. There's a chance that the DH spot will be open for one of them. You'd most likely have to add another catcher in that case but I could see a guy like Yamid Haad (meaning someone like him) being brought in to be a filler at the AAA level.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Hermie13 wrote:If Shoppach is traded (which I also think will happen), then I'd like to see Fasano tabbed as Vic's backup. He's a vet and worked great with the pitchers. I think if you paired him up with Sowers next year (I'm still high on Sowers and think 2009 is gonna be the year he busts out), I think you'll be suprised with the nice results. Sal will make a great coach someday and will give us that extra vet on the bench (much like Trot in 2007) that's so invaluable.

I also think you could possibly see both Gimenez and Toregas at AAA next year. There's a chance that the DH spot will be open for one of them. You'd most likely have to add another catcher in that case but I could see a guy like Yamid Haad (meaning someone like him) being brought in to be a filler at the AAA level.

the only issue I see is why use a roster spot on Sal just because hes a solid vet Torgeas is ready and this team doesnt have any extra 40 man spots just to carry a player to be a veteran presence , besides this is Victors 8th year in the majors hes pretty much a vet. I like Sal but it doesnt make sense to bring him back
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm

8th year in the majors? He didn't come up in 2001 or 2002.....

Toregas struggled mightily at AAA and had to be sent back down to AA this past year. He's not really ready for the MLs. The nice thing about Sal is you can wait to put him on the 40man roster til you move Westbrook to the 60-day DL, thus it doesn't cost you a spot really to start the season. Sal works with pitchers MUCH better than Vic, Shop, or Toregas.

I'd also rather see Toregas and Gimenez getting everyday at-bats to start next year rather than sitting on the bench in Cleveland.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Hermie13 wrote:8th year in the majors? He didn't come up in 2001 or 2002.....

Toregas struggled mightily at AAA and had to be sent back down to AA this past year. He's not really ready for the MLs. The nice thing about Sal is you can wait to put him on the 40man roster til you move Westbrook to the 60-day DL, thus it doesn't cost you a spot really to start the season. Sal works with pitchers MUCH better than Vic, Shop, or Toregas.

I'd also rather see Toregas and Gimenez getting everyday at-bats to start next year rather than sitting on the bench in Cleveland.

my bad 7th year in the majors same point, and really there is no way you can say who works pitchers better thats an impossibility, Torgeas struggles were with he bat and he played a lot better if that's an issue use Gimenez who didnt struggle, neither torgeas or Giminez are really going to get much better the extra at bats not a huge help, and on top of that neither will get at bats everyday next year if they are both in AAA, if you want a defense catcher who doesnt hit well , might as well use Torgeas
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:35 pm

Only 5 years as a starter and fully on the team. Victor is a team leader and the unofficial captain....but there's somthing to say about a guy like Fasano that's been around a lot of years and has the experience. He's worked with so many different pitchers over the years. He'd be a MUCH better fit for our young starters than a very green Toregas.

And Gimenez did struggle a lot last year too.

Like I said, I can see both getting regular at-bats....either completely splitting catchers duties (still more ABs than they'd get in Cleveland) or one DHing.

I could see a lineup as follows in Columbus next year:

1. Brantley - LF/CF
2. Crowe - CF/LF
3. Barfield-2B (not a #3 hitter, but I want him to get tons of ABs and think Cleveland will too)
4. Laporta - RF (played here when with Milwaukee)
5. Hodges - 3B
6. Brown - 1B
7. Toregas - C/DH
8. Gimenez - DH/C
9. a SS.....try and bring back Tony Graffanino if you can or Andy Cannizaro. Someone who can play here til Josh Rodriguez is able to move on up.

Cooper and Linden will get some consideration for DH at-bats as well.

o, and you CAN say if a guy works better with pitchers. Coaches and scouts say it all the time about certain catchers. It's one of the most important attributes for a catcher to have (like a QB running an offense in football, some guys have it, some don't). Sal is valuable to this team as a backup. I really hope he's brought back, and if Shop is traded, I think he will be.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 pm

If Fasano is brought back, it will be as a non-rostered player (NRI) on a minor league deal. He'd have all spring training to fight with Toregas and Giminez for the backup role (provided Shoppach is dealt). It is likely he would be assigned to Columbus though and would be insurance if Toregas/Gimenez struggle or get hurt. At some point between now and the end of next season I could see him being approached for a managing job in the minors or as an instructor/coach.

With Martinez, Toregas, Santana, and Gimenez all likely to be rostered, there is no way you have a 5th catcher....even given Gimenez's position flexibility.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Tribe had 4 catchers rostered this year....1 more isn't that outrageous (especially since Santana also has position flexibility).

Don't see Sal becoming a coach just yet. He was playing in the minor leagues last year before we got him.....he reminds me of Taylor from the movie Major League. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy that wants to give up playing just yet....and since he doesn't have bad knees, he'll land somewhere next year. Several teams will be looking for backup catchers, and he's cheap and hit decently well for the Tribe this year. His stock is up if anything....

I could also see one of Toregas/Gimenez getting dealt (along with Shop, but in separate deals). Not very likely, but we do have depth at the position now with Santana and even Matt McBride (though not really playing catcher anymore), plus the really young guys....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Tribe had 4 catchers rostered this year....1 more isn't that outrageous (especially since Santana also has position flexibility)..

Correct.

Although that was during the season. Indians only rostered three catcher at the roster deadline last Nov 20th (Martinez, Shoppach, Toregas).

They slot their 40-man slots for the offseason. As it is, three has always been their max. They'll have to likely go with four this offseason because of Santana and Gimenez, unless one is traded. Pushing the 40-man catcher listing from three to four or even five may not seem like much, but when you only get 40 spots to protect players it means you end up exposing a promising young pitcher/infielder/outfielder as a result. Also, it leaves you short with rostered players at those positions and much less flexibility in-season. The reason they have four catchers rostered this year is they could get away with it with Vic hurt 60% of the season and with other players 60-day DLed.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Also would like to add I dont know if you want to say a player who has only played one position the last 2 years still has position flexibility, Santana is a catcher end of story
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:49 am

Santana has played 3B and the OF as recently as last year. Santana actually didn't play AT ALL as a catcher in 2006 (only 3B and OF). Santana is a lot like Russell Martin (converted 3B)......and ironically Martin has been rumored to be heading back to 3B possibly.....I could see down the road Santana making a move from behind the plate if he continues to hit the way he does, or if Victor is extended beyond 2010.....

Plus Victor is a 1B as well (could see Aubrey being traded thus opening another spot). Slim chance Garko gets traded this winter too (could see it possibly for Brian Roberts)....in that case, Victor would be a 1B mostly thus having 4 other catchers isn't a big deal (though I'm not a fan of moving Vic to 1B, it's still a possibility to consider).

I do agree, that Sal won't be rostered this winter, but like I said, could be rostered the day before the regular season when Westbrook is moved to the 60-day DL, thus clearing a roster spot.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:04 pm

Hermie13 wrote:I do agree, that Sal won't be rostered this winter, but like I said, could be rostered the day before the regular season when Westbrook is moved to the 60-day DL, thus clearing a roster spot.

Yes, I agree. That could happen.

Although my bet is Huff gets that roster spot when Westbrook is 60-day DLed.

By the way, anyone at anytime can change positions. But as of right now, the Indians are 120% committed with keeping Santana a catcher.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:30 pm

Only way Huff gets that roster spot is if he's put on the 25 man roster and in the roation coming out of ST.....and I don't think that'll happen, though possible. Unless traded, I think Sowers gets that 5th spot in the rotation. Out of minor league options and has teased everyone with spots of greatness. I'm a big fan and think 2009 will be his breakout year.....I'd hate to see it somewhere else like with Guthrie.....

I agree on Santana....but we were 120% committed to Martinez being a catcher...but once we saw how well he hit at the ML level we needed to get him more ABs and moved him to 1B some. Same thing could easily happen with Santana, especially if we struggled at finding a 3B or Hodges doesn't pan out.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:55 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Only way Huff gets that roster spot is if he's put on the 25 man roster and in the roation coming out of ST.....and I don't think that'll happen, though possible. Unless traded, I think Sowers gets that 5th spot in the rotation. Out of minor league options and has teased everyone with spots of greatness. I'm a big fan and think 2009 will be his breakout year.....I'd hate to see it somewhere else like with Guthrie..

Sowers is not out of options. He has one left.

And yeah, with my claim that Huff gets rostered at the end of spring it means he gets the #5 spot.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:20 pm

2006 was the first, 2007 was the second, and 2008 was the third......how is Sowers not out of options then? I hope you're right though....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:25 pm

Hermie13 wrote:2006 was the first, 2007 was the second, and 2008 was the third......how is Sowers not out of options then? I hope you're right though....

Sowers wasn't optioned in 2006.

His contract was purchased mid-season 2006 and he wasn't optioned back to the minors until 2007.

So, 2007 & 2008 means one option year left.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks.

Still think he'll make the team out of ST (unless traded)...but we'll see.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:55 pm

I see no way Sowers makes the team out of spring training unless Laffey or Huff are hurt, or the Indians have injuries to the Top 4 in the rotation. He's clearly at the bottom of the pecking order.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 am

The Tribe left Sowers up and sent Laffey down.....I still think they like Sowers more than Laffey. Huff is interesting...but I can see him starting in AAA then getting a call up.

In any case, I see at least one of those 3 getting traded this winter....so could answer the question for us....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Hermie, here is a list with player options left.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/teamCont ... eason=2009
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks....unfortuantely I can't veiw that site right now. Work blocks a lot of sports sites and that's one of them....yet somehow this one isn't blocked....go figure.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:Hermie, here is a list with player options left.

thanks great resource post
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:51 pm

jellis wrote:
Duane Kuiper wrote:Hermie, here is a list with player options left.

thanks great resource post

Yours truly did that by the way....and I have it linked on this site under the Indians section.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Is Zach Jackson out of options then (says unknown on that link)? I thought he was......but obviously that doesn't mean much.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:11 pm

I believe Jackson is out of options....still confirming though.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:15 pm

2007 and 2008 were 2 (played in the minors both years)......and 2006 his contract was purchased in June, then optioned back to AAA in July.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Hermie13 wrote:2007 and 2008 were 2 (played in the minors both years)......and 2006 his contract was purchased in June, then optioned back to AAA in July.....

Then yeah, he is out of optons.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:40 am

A little FYI about options not commonly known:

Option years are not burned if the player is optioned down for less than twenty total days in a season.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:43 pm

20 in a row or 20 total days?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:46 pm

As it says, "20 total days".
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:29 am

Alright. Wasn't sure if your post was direct from a source or just your own words...why I was checking...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 pm

wasnt sure where to put it but some more national on shoppach

Doug (Frisco,TX): Could Victor Martinez bring back more than Shoppach? Would the Indians make a move with Victor for a #3 starter.

SportsNation Keith Law: Can we stop this talk of Shoppach as an everyday catcher, please? I know his stat line was nice this year, but he struck out 133 times in 357 AB and he'll chase that breaking ball low and away until the end of time. He's a really nice backup. If they can trade him and get more than that in return, by all means - Carlos Santana is coming fast anyway.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk