Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

What To Do With Masterson

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

What To Do With Masterson

Postby BrianM » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Would like to start a discussion regarding a Masterson extension or potentially trading him this winter or at the trade deadline.

I was looking at the potential free agent starting pitchers for the next off season and it is a much better crop of pitchers than what is available this year, especially among the top tier.

Homer Bailey
Justin Masterson
Clayton Kershaw
Jon Lester
James Shields
Max Scherzer

Masterson may be the worst pitcher on this list, yet he probably would have been the highest paid starting pitcher in FA if he were available this year. There is a chance that some of these guys may sign an extension before FA, but I'm going to proceed on the assumption that they won't.

Chad Billingsly (14M club option)
Yovanni Gallardo (13M club option)
Brandon Morrow (10M club option)
Josh Beckett
Jorge De La Rosa
Josh Johnson
Jake Peavy
Brett Anderson (12M club option)
Dan Haren (If he pitches fewer than 180Inn)
Colby Lewis
Brandon McCarthy

These guys also add to the depth of the FA pool for next year. I'd be shocked if Gallardo's and Morrow's options are not picked up, and, if healthy, I would expect Anderson and Billingsly's options to be picked up, but you never know.

All 6 of the first group are likely to receive qualifying offers. If Johnson has a rebound year, it is also very likely that he receives the offer. It is less likely that Peavy and Beckett receive QO, but there is an chance depending on how well they perform this year, especially for Peavy. There were only 2 pitchers (not including Kuroda) to receive QO's this year, and that number should more than triple next year

We can do one of three different things regarding Masterson:

A. Sign to an extension before ST
B. Attempt to Trade now or in July
C. Take our chances in FA next winter

I posted this free agent info because I feel it is relevant for both Masterson and the FO to consider when making a decision. I was hoping the board could help me figure out exactly why it is relevant and see if we could come to some conclusions.

The questions I have for everybody are:

*Do we think the depth of next years FA starting pitchers will make it easier to resign Masterson after the 2014 season?

*Do we think the excessive spending during FA this year will limit low/mid market teams from being able to spend next year?

*What have we learned about the QO thus far, and how do we think it will impact Masterson's market next year if he is 1 of 7/8 pitchers carrying compensation?

*Do we think it would be wise for Masterson to discuss, and strongly consider accepting an extension right now rather than taking his chances in a competitive FA market?

*Despite the fact he is a necessity if we want to compete, should we really consider trading him if he is offered a quality extension and rejects?

*How should next years market effect our decision on whether to trade him now?

*Does the current FA and Trade market increase or decrease Masterson's value in a trade?

I like the idea of playing GM, and I would think these questions have to be crossing Antonetti's mind when considering what to do in this situation. There are other things that could and probably will play a factor in this, specifically payroll limitations, but I would just like to know everyone's thoughts and what they would do if they were GM.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Re: What To Do With Masterson

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Keep him and ergo keep or window of opportunity open this year. Worry about next year next year.

If Masterson leaves before the season it is like waving the white flag for 2014.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am

be happy about what you ask for.. you might get it.. eg..I asked for a visit to spring training..I'm bringing my sticks.. your questions are pretty good...

*Do we think the depth of next years FA starting pitchers will make it easier to resign Masterson after the 2014 season? A glut of pitching may create a feeding frenzy or the law of supply and demand will take over.. Masterson, if he becomes a FA will be the target of clubs that believe they cannot afford the "six names" types. I don't believe it will be any more difficult or easy to resign Masty.. If he directs his representation to do what he wants.. that is..

*Do we think the excessive spending during FA this year will limit low/mid market teams from being able to spend next year? Simple answer: no. The spending this year could be tied to the added funds from the new national TV contracts. The rule of thumb, when teams get 10 'new' dollars in revenue, they spend five.. In 2013, the Indians payroll came in at $ 80 MM. There is new revenue of $ 25 MM per team.. so, expect almost all the teams to spend most of $ 12 MM on new player acquisitions, or up to around $ 92 MM for the Indians.. & it's financially prudent and an easy guess in spending..

*What have we learned about the QO thus far, and how do we think it will impact Masterson's market next year if he is 1 of 7/8 pitchers carrying compensation? A QO limits the market away from teams that could best be described as having multiple needs. A QO doesn't prevent the top five in payroll spending in any way..

*Do we think it would be wise for Masterson to discuss, and strongly consider accepting an extension right now rather than taking his chances in a competitive FA market? Masterson has to have a comfort level with Tito & the front Office. He could direct his people during the arbitration process to get a deal done. "Strongly", as you've stated is a good description..

*Despite the fact he is a necessity if we want to compete, should we really consider trading him if he is offered a quality extension and rejects? 2008 scenario is being played out.. After the 2007 run to the ALCS, CC Sabathia was in a walk year. Mr Dolan decided to KEEP CC. We all know what happened.. and CC was traded before the deadline. Masterson is the team's # 1 starter.. Unless a trade that improves the team for 2014 and beyond is made before ST..Masty should stay..

*How should next years market effect our decision on whether to trade him now? IDK.. The market dynamics say that plentiful supply should reduce costs.. best guess.. costs will remain outrageously high..

*Does the current FA and Trade market increase or decrease Masterson's value in a trade? Masty is a front of the rotation horse. His value in trade in this or any market will always be high.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby go_tribe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:07 pm

I think it's very simple. If we can get a Taijuan Walker or Archie Bradley caliber player back, then we must do it 100 percent. The fan base will bitch at first, but the reality is we can still compete with one of those 2 in our rotation this year. Look at the Cards last year as a perfect example. You can win with young studs right away. Hell, look at Salazar last year, he started our playoff game so it's not like if we trade Masty the season is being given up.

If the offers are on the Cliff Lee circa 2009 level however, then we must keep him and try and extend him. I don't want to trade him just to trade like they did with Lee. If offers are topping out at Tyler Skaggs level prospects, or Aaron Sanchez type starters then the answer is NO.

And If we do end up trading Masterson, I don't want them to sink the saved money into Ubaldo. If JImenez wants to come back, then it has to be a club friendly price. He's just not worth the risk.

I wouldn't mind them over paying Masterson to stay long term, because I love the guy as a player and person. He brings more to the team than just what we see on the field, like Swisher for example. It still kills me that they gave away Cliff Lee, if ever there was a guy worth keeping it was him.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Return to Beyond The Minors