Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2014 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

2014 MLB Draft

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Just wanted to create an (early) home of sorts for some discussion on the top 2014 draft prospects.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Re: 2014 MLB Draft

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Here's a link from Minorleagueball.com of some of the top 150 prospects for 2014...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/2 ... t-rankings
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:21 pm

homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Here's a few looks via scout.com

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1291189.html

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1292387.html

Here's a look via SI, I've posted before elsewhere....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... los-rodon/

Here's a way too early mock draft....

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014 ... sent/34008
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Here's a few early 2014 draft profiles....

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2014-draft-profiles/
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:34 am

As of now, 1B/OF K. Schwarber and RHP L.Weaver are the "realistic" College guys I'm interested in should we (hopefully) pick in the 16-30 range. With the comp balance pick I'd be looking at 3B S.Travis, C Zagunis or 6'7 RHP Megill and OF Papi in the 2nd (will be a 1st rounder if he repeats last season though). RHP Weaver, C Zagunis, OF Papi would look pretty good
Tondo
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:51 pm

I think both of those guys could be reasonable targets for the Tribe. Weaver really came on last yr. Schwarber is an interesting C/1b prospect...good size & nice bat.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

A few weeks ago the Tribe won the 3rd pick in the competitive balance lottery. Right now, that pick is set to be #34 overall. During the 2013 draft that pick (#34) was Marshall RHSP Aaron Blair (Dbax). The Indians will also benefit from the added bonus slot over $1.5 M. In addition to this the Indians will likely benefit from having a top 60 talent 2nd rd pick, a top 90 3rd rd pick with the corresponding 4th and 5th rd picks likely falling in the top 120 and 150 respectively. Basically, the Tribe could add 6 top 150 players in a fairly talented draft class. That is of course working from the assumption the Tribe will likely remain away from the larger name FA with qualifying offers.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Tony also wrote about a potential qualifying offer being given to Kazmir if he continues to pitch the way he has and stays healthy. I would hope we could resign him if he does continue to pitch well, but if he rejects our qualifying offer that could be another pick and another 1.5 million to our bonus pool. Would make the draft quite interesting.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:54 pm

BrianM wrote:Tony also wrote about a potential qualifying offer being given to Kazmir if he continues to pitch the way he has and stays healthy. I would hope we could resign him if he does continue to pitch well, but if he rejects our qualifying offer that could be another pick and another 1.5 million to our bonus pool. Would make the draft quite interesting.

I find it very hard to imagine Kazmir turning down ~$14M. Doubt the Tribe offers it to him even with how he has played, though suppose crazier things have happened...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 am

That list done by Garrioch has a lot of very good players on it. I'm actually really surprised to see some of the guys I like ranked well outside of the top 15. The Indians could come away with some real quality prospects if they draft around 20th overall and 35th overall (comp pick). It looks to be a good year to do well in the competitive balance draft lottery.

I'm not expecting a comp pick for Scott Kazmir.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:50 pm

I've seen Cease from Milton HS play. He's listed as a SS in one of the above links and as a RHP in another. He's a hitter from all I've heard (very good one) but against us he and his team struggled. We split with them but our pitcher (my step-son) kept them all off balance with his knuckleball, change-up and spotted fastball....second game DK came w/in 1 out of a shut out....first game all runs were unearned.

Edit: Milton did win the state championship in 6A in Georgia
Last edited by daingean on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:That list done by Garrioch has a lot of very good players on it. I'm actually really surprised to see some of the guys I like ranked well outside of the top 15. The Indians could come away with some real quality prospects if they draft around 20th overall and 35th overall (comp pick). It looks to be a good year to do well in the competitive balance draft lottery.

I'm not expecting a comp pick for Scott Kazmir.

Agreed, unless Kazmir and Jimenez are absolutely lights out the remainder of the season. But the notion they get a comp pick on either seems unlikely. Possible but unlikely.

Agreed, Garrioch puts together a long list of prospects take it for what it is, a list. I think he overlooks several of the better prospects, but overall it's worth a look if you want a sneak peak at next yrs draft class.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Here's another way too early mock draft....

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2014-MLB-Mock-Draft
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Here's another brief look at the top 30 draft prospects for 2014....

http://www.minorleaguerundown.com/2013/ ... prospects/
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:03 pm

daingean wrote:I've seen Cease from Milton HS play. He's listed as a SS in one of the above links and as a RHP in another. He's a hitter from all I've heard (very good one) but against us he and his team struggled. We split with them but our pitcher (my step-son) kept them all off balance with his knuckleball, change-up and spotted fastball....second game DK came w/in 1 out of a shut out....first game all runs were unearned.

Dylan Cease is both RHSP & SS. Reports he is up to 97 on the mound should help drive up attention from scouts.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
daingean wrote:I've seen Cease from Milton HS play. He's listed as a SS in one of the above links and as a RHP in another. He's a hitter from all I've heard (very good one) but against us he and his team struggled. We split with them but our pitcher (my step-son) kept them all off balance with his knuckleball, change-up and spotted fastball....second game DK came w/in 1 out of a shut out....first game all runs were unearned.

Dylan Cease is both RHSP & SS. Reports he is up to 97 on the mound should help drive up attention from scouts.

he was like their 3rd starter I think......they had two others in front of him for mound time......he also has a brother on the Milton team.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Heads up!

PG All-American Classic airs on the MLB network this coming Sunday starting at 8:00 PM.

Set Your DVRs on stun.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby PEngle39 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 pm

So Kodi Medeiros is pretty freaking good. Let's hope his funky arm slot and his location somewhat off the beaten scouting path (Hawaii) knocks him into the Tribe's range. His stuff has been absolutely disgusting.....
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

PEngle39 wrote:So Kodi Medeiros is pretty freaking good. Let's hope his funky arm slot and his location somewhat off the beaten scouting path (Hawaii) knocks him into the Tribe's range. His stuff has been absolutely disgusting.....

Tyler Kolek was certainly no slouch, either...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Cameron Varga is my hope. 93-95 on his fastball at 18 and he has a nasty change and a curve that sits around 80
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:24 pm

This is a really, really good draft class. Personally, I'm impressed by California LHP Brady Aiken. Very good body, good athlete, good delivery/arm action, very good movement on his pitches. I think he's arguably better than Kohl Stewart and Matt Garrioch (minorleagueball.com) ranked him 40th in this upcoming class. The Indians could do VERY well with their 1st supplemental round pick this upcoming year.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:36 am

i like Zach Shannon with the comp pick, 6'2 220 can throw up to 94 but plays 3B and will hit for a ton of power. i like Jack Flaherty with our 1st round pick who reminds me alot of Kaleb Cowhert
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Recent Mock that shows Comp Balance picks.

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014 ... -set/38280

While I like Shannon as a pitcher, he's more raw than some of the others. I'd prefer Sean Reid-Foley, who has good command of a nice lively FB & a really good curve. I don't think he'll be available at 24 though.

Chase Vallot is a very good bat spec. Was quite impressed with the bat to ball ablility. If he doesn't stick at catcher he could probably handle LF as he runs pretty good, at least for now. He's like a HS version of Michael Conforto with the bat.

The guy mocked right behind him, Jackson Reetz, looked really good at the Petco event. If that's his usual game he'd be a good get.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I think the Indians are in a good place for the 2014 draft. They'll be 24 or a pick or two earlier (depending on free agency), but they'll probably get a pick for Ubaldo. I doubt Kazmir yields a pick b/c I don't think teams will be willing to make him a good offer and give up a first round pick, but we'll see.

BA came out with their top 50 yesterday. I think the 20 to 50 range is very nice, and there's even some real nice prospects outside of the top 50, too (I'm with Rocky in that Mike Papi is a good prospect).

I know some may look at him and think Mike Leake, but I think Luke Weaver is a very strong pitching prospect. BA ranked him 32, but I think he's (1) better than Aaron Nola at 10 and (2) someone a team could be comfortable taking between 10th and 20th. Weaver is small, but he's a good athlete with very nice arm speed and a polished delivery and arsenal of pitches. His fastball has good velocity (with some projection) with good arm side run and at 3/4 gets enough leverage. I'm not used to seeing good pitching prospects at Florida State, but he's good with probably under appreciated upside and apparent polish.

I've liked SS Trea Turner at NC State for a while now. Whatever team ends up with him will be happy. He needs to continue to get stronger, but very nice skill set, athleticism and projection.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:58 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I know some may look at him and think Mike Leake, but I think Luke Weaver is a very strong pitching prospect. BA ranked him 32, but I think he's (1) better than Aaron Nola at 10 and (2) someone a team could be comfortable taking between 10th and 20th. Weaver is small, but he's a good athlete with very nice arm speed and a polished delivery and arsenal of pitches. His fastball has good velocity (with some projection) with good arm side run and at 3/4 gets enough leverage. I'm not used to seeing good pitching prospects at Florida State, but he's good with probably under appreciated upside and apparent polish.

Even if he is a Mike Leake....is that really a bad thing at 24? Not saying Leake is an Ace but been a solid Major League starter. Could do a lot worse at 24 IMO if he makes it there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am

A few interesting notes from Baseball America that may have gone unnoticed...

-Closest to becoming a major league player (out of college)

# 2. Kyle Crockett

..ahead of Jonathan Gray, Mark Appel, Kris Bryant

Closest to becoming a major league player (out of high school)

# 5 Clint Frazier

Onto draft (picks).. w/ the assumption that Ubaldo declines his option and becomes a free again after declining a qualifying offer, the Indians will find themselves with an interesting group of picks in what is shaping up to be a significantly talented and deep draft. Having the # 24, overall, the # 35 overall (compensation for Ubaldo) and the # 39 overall (competitive balance lottery pick) gives the Tribe three of the top forty or there about..

InRe: Luke Weaver.. the Seminoles haven't produced many outstanding ML'ers in the past.. Weaver represents not much more w/r to physical development.. His polish and command go well with his stuff.. He'd be a good pick. At # 24, he'd be described as a budget pick, if that's what the Indians are after. He could be there when the Indians pick at around # 39..

At # 24 (or there about), the Indians need to look at hitting a home run.. a Michael Cederoth type pick.. Big, Strong, Projects as a FOR SP.. This would be the exact kind of pick the Indians need for their first and most important selection of the 2014 draft.. Michael Cederoth..is a big 6'6 220 pound right hander who can flat out bring it..He has a big loopy/buckle your knees curve ball that you don't want to see if you're in the batter's box.. It looks like it's coming right at you squash.. Best guess.. by the time June 2014 rolls around, this kid will easily be getting top ten mentions..

Another guy for the Indians to look at could be Nick Burdi.. even though he projects as a back of the pen kind of guy.. he's possesses the kind of arm that can't be passed up.. If he can develop a third pitch (to go with his incredible FB / Slider combination), he could become something special... otherwise he projects more as a back of the pen reliever who should spend about sixteen weeks in the minors before making his major league debut. Not every SP can be a starter. Burdi may drop in the draft because of it.. but, he has the arm to be truly dominating..

thoughts?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:44 am

MLB Bonus Baby started up on their '14 Draft coverage.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/mlb-bonus-baby

Nice article on Rodon. One of the replies wants to contrast Rodon/Appel. To me Rodon wins that hands down. Rodon is really good.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Rocky55 wrote:MLB Bonus Baby started up on their '14 Draft coverage.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/mlb-bonus-baby

Nice article on Rodon. One of the replies wants to contrast Rodon/Appel. To me Rodon wins that hands down. Rodon is really good.

The only amateur game I have watched the last couple years was the NC vs NCST game this year. Rodon is awesome. Seems like he has David Price type upside. It does not get much better than that.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:35 am

Michael Cederoth would be great at 24. Very good talent there. I don't see him lasting that long unless he has a bad season, but who knows.

I think Carlos Rodon's slider has some Francisco Liriano in it. It's thrown so hard and has such good, hard break on it. That pitch is why he's racked up so many K's at NC State.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:01 am

OB, I know you've liked Benton Moss for a couple of years. Do you have any sense of what pick range he might be expect to go?

I know it's really early & nothing can be said definitively. Just as it stands, is he worth the 34th pick, the 39th (around that for Ubie), or do you think he'll be gone sooner?

Pretty sure I've never seen him but your description sounds like a pretty polished guy who might move quickly through the system.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:09 am

Houston picking #1 for the 3rd year in a row. Never happened before.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:40 am

Rocky55 wrote:OB, I know you've liked Benton Moss for a couple of years. Do you have any sense of what pick range he might be expect to go?

I know it's really early & nothing can be said definitively. Just as it stands, is he worth the 34th pick, the 39th (around that for Ubie), or do you think he'll be gone sooner?

Pretty sure I've never seen him but your description sounds like a pretty polished guy who might move quickly through the system.

I think Moss' stock dropped a bit late this spring. I saw a few of his starts and he didn't look comfortable -- he really struggled down the stretch. I thought he looked like a late 1st, early 2nd round kind of guy after his freshman year but he probably left a bad taste in people's mouths the way he finished 2013. Based on his bad finish, I'd guess people see him in the late 2nd, early 3rd round now?

I still like him, though. I think he's a Trevor Bauer-lite (the pre late-2013 version) in that he's an undersized RHP with that throws from a tall slot (can effectively pitch up and down with his FB) with a very nice curveball that'll get swings and misses. He was 86-90mph when I saw him late this spring, but I heard he threw very well this fall for UNC (consistently low 90s) so hopefully he's straightened things out.

Right now, given the caliber of guys that potentially look available in the early 20s this June, I wouldn't put Moss in the mix there. If the Indians have two first round supplemental picks (1 competitive balance and 1 for Ubaldo), Moss would be intriguing around there if he pitches well this spring. I've always liked Moss, but it's been as an under-the-radar kind of prospect that wouldn't be a top 10 overall kind of talent but a very nice 1st supplemental/2nd round kind of selection. Not a big RHP, but he pitches with very nice downward leverage, arm speed and with a good curveball and command.

No Moss at 24th, but yes between 35th and 45th if he has a good junior season.

On a separate note, I remember watching Sonny Gray at Vanderbilt and I always thought he had good stuff but I did not see him pitching so well as a starter in MLB so early. When I saw him, he was a short-limbed, small RHP that always had a good curveball with velo between 90-94mph but late this year he was like 92-96mph with his fastball. If anything, those smaller guys are expected to lose velo pitching with less rest in pro ball (college guys only go once a week). Damn impressive improvement for a guy that never categorized as a guy that'd gain velo as he aged.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:03 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:OB, I know you've liked Benton Moss for a couple of years. Do you have any sense of what pick range he might be expect to go?

I think Moss' stock dropped a bit late this spring. I saw a few of his starts and he didn't look comfortable -- he really struggled down the stretch. I thought he looked like a late 1st, early 2nd round kind of guy after his freshman year but he probably left a bad taste in people's mouths the way he finished 2013. Based on his bad finish, I'd guess people see him in the late 2nd, early 3rd round now?

I still like him, though. I think he's a Trevor Bauer-lite (the pre late-2013 version) in that he's an undersized RHP with that throws from a tall slot (can effectively pitch up and down with his FB) with a very nice curveball that'll get swings and misses. He was 86-90mph when I saw him late this spring, but I heard he threw very well this fall for UNC (consistently low 90s) so hopefully he's straightened things out.

Right now, given the caliber of guys that potentially look available in the early 20s this June, I wouldn't put Moss in the mix there. If the Indians have two first round supplemental picks (1 competitive balance and 1 for Ubaldo), Moss would be intriguing around there if he pitches well this spring. I've always liked Moss, but it's been as an under-the-radar kind of prospect that wouldn't be a top 10 overall kind of talent but a very nice 1st supplemental/2nd round kind of selection. Not a big RHP, but he pitches with very nice downward leverage, arm speed and with a good curveball and command.

No Moss at 24th, but yes between 35th and 45th if he has a good junior season.

On a separate note, I remember watching Sonny Gray at Vanderbilt and I always thought he had good stuff but I did not see him pitching so well as a starter in MLB so early. When I saw him, he was a short-limbed, small RHP that always had a good curveball with velo between 90-94mph but late this year he was like 92-96mph with his fastball. If anything, those smaller guys are expected to lose velo pitching with less rest in pro ball (college guys only go once a week). Damn impressive improvement for a guy that never categorized as a guy that'd gain velo as he aged.

Funny that Gray shows up in a post about Moss' late season struggles. I liked Gray a bunch until he got hittable late in his draft season. He did have a high effort delivery. Could've considered maybe he was getting a late season dead arm. Maybe the same thing happened to Moss. Gives credence (once again) to the theory that if a guy does it once he (healthy) can do it again.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:50 am

I was watching the vid of the Chicago game & caught a guy I hadn't seen before, Michael Kopech HS RHP from Texas, who was quite impressive.

Big kid, 6'4" & 190lbs., lanky & loose with some projection left. High leg kick with good deception, fast & loose arm, good controlled delivery, inconsistent arm slot, consistent arm speed on all pitches.

Had a mostly straight FB up to 91 that he moved around in the zone, a nice slider around 79 that he commanded really well, and threw one change or cutter at 83 that bored in on a RHer. I heard that he has a big breaking CB but he didn't throw it.

He must have nice deception because these kids were seeing 95+ and they couldn't catch up to his 90-91. In one inning of work he K'd Monte' Harrison on 4 pitches, Michael Gettys on 7 pitches, & Alex Jackson on 3 straight sliders, the last 2 Jackson just looked at. Gettys fouled off a couple on his hands & K'd on a FB up out of the zone.

These are 3 of the top HS hitters in the country, who'd faced him numerous times. The announcers said that he'd been scuffling earlier in the summer but he had it all for this game.

I like this kid a lot. I haven't seen any rankings except Garrioch's, and he has him in the 45th slot among all draftees. That will probably change but I've seen Kopech & I've seen Cease, who is ranked in the teens & I like Kopech better. Let's get him.

I also liked Gilberto Rodriguez, a HS catcher from Puerto Rico who's like a cat behind the plate. These pitchers were all over the place & only one ball got by him. Showed a nice arm, LH thrower, with a quick release. He played most of the game. He's a switch hitter who got the bat on the ball but doesn't show much power. Project with the bat but with really good defense.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Rocky55 wrote:I was watching the vid of the Chicago game & caught a guy I hadn't seen before, Michael Kopech HS RHP from Texas, who was quite impressive.

Big kid, 6'4" & 190lbs., lanky & loose with some projection left. High leg kick with good deception, fast & loose arm, good controlled delivery, inconsistent arm slot, consistent arm speed on all pitches.

Had a mostly straight FB up to 91 that he moved around in the zone, a nice slider around 79 that he commanded really well, and threw one change or cutter at 83 that bored in on a RHer. I heard that he has a big breaking CB but he didn't throw it.

He must have nice deception because these kids were seeing 95+ and they couldn't catch up to his 90-91. In one inning of work he K'd Monte' Harrison on 4 pitches, Michael Gettys on 7 pitches, & Alex Jackson on 3 straight sliders, the last 2 Jackson just looked at. Gettys fouled off a couple on his hands & K'd on a FB up out of the zone.

These are 3 of the top HS hitters in the country, who'd faced him numerous times. The announcers said that he'd been scuffling earlier in the summer but he had it all for this game.

I like this kid a lot. I haven't seen any rankings except Garrioch's, and he has him in the 45th slot among all draftees. That will probably change but I've seen Kopech & I've seen Cease, who is ranked in the teens & I like Kopech better. Let's get him.

I also liked Gilberto Rodriguez, a HS catcher from Puerto Rico who's like a cat behind the plate. These pitchers were all over the place & only one ball got by him. Showed a nice arm, LH thrower, with a quick release. He played most of the game. He's a switch hitter who got the bat on the ball but doesn't show much power. Project with the bat but with really good defense.

Where do you guys see all this amateur ball?

Do you go out to the games? Are you HS coaches in your areas? Do you just watch games on TV?

I'd like to see some more amateur ball, It just doesn't seem to be readily available to me.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Rocky, I can see the talent in Kopech and agree with your assessment on him. Athletic, loose, big, projectable. Regarding a lower ranking on him, I'd guess that its related to his delivery -- there seems to be extra motion in his delivery, or lots of moving pieces that may throw his command off. Talent-wise, he's up there in first round talk but the perceived need to simplify his mechanics may be what's pushing him down.

Out of curiosity, what is your hang-up on Dylan Cease? I think his arm works really well, or do you just like Kopech that much?

Brian, some of the big HS all american games are televised during the summer. The summer is a great chance to see amateurs in person through showcases, All-American games and the Team USA collegiate team travels to different parts of the country. Also, if you're like me and now live in a part of the country that is terrible for spring baseball, college games are televised during the spring on the ESPN channels. I used to be more directly involved in this stuff and was able to go travel more to see guys in person more outside of the summer, but over the last few years there's a lot of videos posted online of these guys. I remember 10 years ago, if you wanted to see someone play you had to drive/fly to go see them, but this stuff is readily available for free online now. It's pretty great.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:37 pm

BrianM wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:I was watching the vid of the Chicago game & caught a guy I hadn't seen before, Michael Kopech HS RHP from Texas, who was quite impressive.

Where do you guys see all this amateur ball?

Do you go out to the games? Are you HS coaches in your areas? Do you just watch games on TV?

I'd like to see some more amateur ball, It just doesn't seem to be readily available to me.

Brian, I DVRed 2 HS All-Star games off of the MLB Network, one in Petco & the other in Wrigley. Both were in August. I don't have time to watch the 4 hr games in one sitting so I watch parts of them & go back later for more. With that you can re-watch anything that particularly interests you & see lots of things you miss with one viewing. I'm in N Georgia so there's a lot of HS baseball going on. The #3 pick in the '09 Draft went to HS in my town. Baseball in the Southeast is big time. I also get to see a lot of SEC & ACC games with UGA & GTech in my back yard plus Kennesaw State which usually has a few good specs every year.

We've got big doings around here in that a very large baseball/sports complex is being built about 15 miles away from me in Emerson, Georgia. I've heard that we'll be getting lots of the HS All-Star games, possibly some college games, even Braves exhibitions. Some of this is hearsay but I do know Perfect Game is involved & also former Braves mgr. Bobby Cox.

http://www.lakepointsports.com/our-story

As OB said, there are lots of vids around on the net. Youtube is a good source, Baseball Factory (a sponsor of the Wrigley game) has tons just by themselves. You could see lots of guys that don't make the All-Star games on Youtube. The first time I saw Addison Russell was on a short Youtube vid. Also, ESPN has occasional college games, including most of the CWS games.

OB, I din't mean to give the impression that I don't like Dylan Cease. He's smallish but has very good arm strength with not much effort & is very polished. I'd have no prob projecting him to be a MOR SP in MLB. I just really like Kopech. I've heard that his delivery is much simpler out of the stretch. I can see where you're coming from as he tried to steer a few FB's with the expected results but he threw 3 Balls & 11 Strikes in his 1 IP.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:20 pm

Rocky55 wrote:OB, I din't mean to give the impression that I don't like Dylan Cease. He's smallish but has very good arm strength with not much effort & is very polished. I'd have no prob projecting him to be a MOR SP in MLB. I just really like Kopech. I've heard that his delivery is much simpler out of the stretch. I can see where you're coming from as he tried to steer a few FB's with the expected results but he threw 3 Balls & 11 Strikes in his 1 IP.

I was just curious. Regarding Kopech, sometimes conventional wisdom about guys' deliveries is just wrong. That delivery looks like it's got too many moving parts, but for some pitchers it's not an issue. That's sometimes how you can get front of the rotation guys in the 2nd/3rd round. You can always smooth things out a little with the delivery in pro ball, too. Kopech looks like a guy that could rack up K's with his arm speed, breaking ball and deceptive delivery. Good athlete, too, so he could get by with a bit more complicated of a delivery. You've got me intrigued!

I know we've brought him up before, but Mike Papi of Virginia isn't getting much love from what I've seen. I expect him to get earlier round talk than what he's currently getting. His swing isn't as pretty as Fisher's (at UVA), but he's a very good hitter and his athleticism and projection is underrated. I don't understand why the love was so strong for Colin Moran last year, but so weak for Mike Papi this year? Underrated college prospect.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:14 am

...and another name/prospect to consider....

Sean "Nuke-Em" Newcomb suffered through a season where mono dragged him down, but when this kid is hale, healthy and hearty, he'll remind you of a younger/stronger Jon Lester... Could be a draft day 'steal' in the post first round comp area.

Thoughts?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:OB, I din't mean to give the impression that I don't like Dylan Cease. He's smallish but has very good arm strength with not much effort & is very polished. I'd have no prob projecting him to be a MOR SP in MLB. I just really like Kopech. I've heard that his delivery is much simpler out of the stretch. I can see where you're coming from as he tried to steer a few FB's with the expected results but he threw 3 Balls & 11 Strikes in his 1 IP.

I was just curious. Regarding Kopech, sometimes conventional wisdom about guys' deliveries is just wrong. That delivery looks like it's got too many moving parts, but for some pitchers it's not an issue. That's sometimes how you can get front of the rotation guys in the 2nd/3rd round. You can always smooth things out a little with the delivery in pro ball, too. Kopech looks like a guy that could rack up K's with his arm speed, breaking ball and deceptive delivery. Good athlete, too, so he could get by with a bit more complicated of a delivery. You've got me intrigued!

I know we've brought him up before, but Mike Papi of Virginia isn't getting much love from what I've seen. I expect him to get earlier round talk than what he's currently getting. His swing isn't as pretty as Fisher's (at UVA), but he's a very good hitter and his athleticism and projection is underrated. I don't understand why the love was so strong for Colin Moran last year, but so weak for Mike Papi this year? Underrated college prospect.

I know Papi's not getting rated very high and I don't understand it. A guy who's a well known prospect out of HS, performs at a high level at a big time program in a good conference, hits great, runs good, fields well, has a good arm, puts up these stats:

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/m- ... mcume.html

All accomplished in the fewest AB's of any starter on the team, what else do you want. I've seen lots of pretty swings miss a lot of baseballs(hello Lonnie Chisenhall). Papi puts the bat on the ball with good results. He's as good as any college bat I saw last year.

Bonus link coverage of another UVA player from last year, one Mr. Crockett, who's making some noise in the Tribe system. Helluva hitter too. :biggrin
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 am

Thanks for the info on the TV stuff guys. I appreciate it.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Here's a guy who looks promising. Like the bat. Looks athletic, runs decent. Future 3B probably. Arm looks good. PG had him @ 85 last yr off the mound. Nice fielding actions. PG had very little about him. There are 4 vids on youtube. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQ2LjgmvTA

Down the page on youtube I saw a vid of the front runner in the best name category, Handsome Monica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZXv_uRxSg

Not sure he sticks at C but the bat looks good. That's about the shortest swing I've ever seen outside of Senior's Day at the golf course. Looks like good power potential with nice contact. What else could we want?

Here's something from PG:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Play ... ?ID=274150

I'll take both of these guys, Mr. Grant.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Some kind of random thoughts about guys that may be available at 24th overall;

Brandon Finnegan; LHP, TCU. Can't help but to compare him to Billy Wagner. There's some effort in his delivery, but his fastball/curveball combination is really impressive for someone his age. He's starting now and it may be premature to move him to the bullpen, but this guy is strong, stout and has arm strength comparable to Wagner and physically is really the same. I think he needs his delivery to be toned down a little bit, so I'm not sure he's a "move him to the pen and he's near MLB ready" yet but he's got another year of development ahead of him before the draft. Looks like a two-plus pitches lefty out of the pen with big arm strength.

Kyle Schwarber; 1b/DH, Indiana. Him being a midwest guy, I've seen a good deal of him. I'm surprised he's ranked as high as he has been. He's definitely a good hitter and has power. His body is bad and it's always going to be an issue; will get worse as he ages. He's not going to catch in MLB. People that really like him may see some David Ortiz in him (he's ~4 inches shorter). I don't see Prince Fielder-type of power in his swing. I think the most realistic outcome is a left handed version of Billy Butler. I think he's a low risk draft pick because he's going to hit, but he's not athletic and no guarantee that he can handle 1b, especially being relatively short. He's going to stand out as a non-prototypical 1b in MLB. I know 1b isn't a position that requires much athleticism, but MLB 1b's generally have some good athletic characteristics.

Jack Flaherty; ss/rhp, California HS. Just going off tapes, he looks like a top 10 overall talent out of high school. He's a great athlete with a projectable, athletic body frame. He runs very well, has good arm speed. He swings the ball well in BP, and even as a pitcher he looks good. Personally, he's not my type of a pitching prospect b/c I think his slot is too low and I wouldn't take him in the 1st round as a pitcher, but if it turns out that he can't hit pro pitching, trying him as a pitcher is a good option that may offset the risk of him as a pitcher. If you go watch him at a showcase, you may leave thinking he was the best talent in the country. Him being ranked outside of the top 30 gives me some pause, though, in that he may not be so great in-game at the plate. Tyler Greene, Jr? (the guy from Miami that went to Georgia Tech and played for STL)

Aaron Nola, rhp, LSU: I can't believe BA ranked this guy 10th overall. No way. Not a first round guy to me.

Alex Verdugo, OF/LHP, Arizona HS: I love this guy's swing and potential for power given his size. His extension and bat speed is very impressive. Runs well and can throw well. He looks good as a pitcher, too, but given how much I like his bat speed and extension, I like him more as a position talent. He's an exciting prospect and would be a good selection in the first supplemental round. His size may limit his upside and may keep him out of the first round, but he's going to be a fun follow. Could easily go back to pitching if he struggles vs. pro pitching.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 am

With the decline of every Qualifying Offer & the likelihood of the Yankees resigning Robinson Cano and possibly Hiroki Kuroda, the draft positions are set.. IF Ubaldo signs elsewhere (still open for consideration), the Indians would then have picks # 24, 37 and 45 in the coming June First Entry draft.. With three in the top fifty, the Indians draft pool will be swelled by the addition of these two picks. It's a deep and talented draft and could be even further augmented if the Indians / Rockies / Cardinals decide to make a trade that would include the Rockies giving up their competitive balance draft lottery selection (projected # 43).. We shall see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Just a note. The last time the Tribe had 3 picks in the 1st and 1st supplemental rounds, they took 3 HS pitchers and none ever pitched for the Tribe.

1. Dan Denham - washed out
2. JD Marting - did make it to the show but as a Natinal
3. Alan Horne - never signed
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:50 pm

daingean wrote:Just a note. The last time the Tribe had 3 picks in the 1st and 1st supplemental rounds, they took 3 HS pitchers and none ever pitched for the Tribe.

That draft (2001) was such a critical and influential draft. You've also got your other early HS picks (OF Mike Conroy, SP Jake Dittler, SP Travis Foley) -- the Indians whiffed on all of them. (I actually liked J.D. Martin a good deal) Even add in a projectable, upside college guy in Nick Moran (3rd round) and they missed on him, too. Not only did that draft totally suck, but it shaped future drafts many years after that focused on lower ceiling college players after the Indians burned their hand on the stove with younger, upside guys in 2001.

That was a totally miserable draft. Outside of saving some money on not signing Alan Horne, it couldn't have turned out worse. The Indians couldn't possibly do worse this time around, right?!?
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:52 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
daingean wrote:Just a note. The last time the Tribe had 3 picks in the 1st and 1st supplemental rounds, they took 3 HS pitchers and none ever pitched for the Tribe.

That draft (2001) was such a critical and influential draft. You've also got your other early HS picks (OF Mike Conroy, SP Jake Dittler, SP Travis Foley) -- the Indians whiffed on all of them. (I actually liked J.D. Martin a good deal) Even add in a projectable, upside college guy in Nick Moran (3rd round) and they missed on him, too. Not only did that draft totally suck, but it shaped future drafts many years after that focused on lower ceiling college players after the Indians burned their hand on the stove with younger, upside guys in 2001.

That was a totally miserable draft. Outside of saving some money on not signing Alan Horne, it couldn't have turned out worse. The Indians couldn't possibly do worse this time around, right?!?

I am not sure what it is but the Tribe just hasn't been good at developing starting pitchers. Salazar is the first one in a long time. I suspect its the approach but they are also quick to move guys too. Some organisations are just good at it. In recent years we spent 2nd rounders on guys like Howard and Brown. I wouldn't be opposed to us using one of the 3 on a SP but I don't really trust the org to develop him. You gotta try but I'd prefer 2 of the picks on position guys and 1 on a SP until they prove they can develop a guy. I one way, I think Grant knows this org is not good at developing guys which is maybe a reason Naquin was taken above Wacha. Not saying it was The Reason.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 pm

daingean wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:

I am not sure what it is but the Tribe just hasn't been good at developing starting pitchers. Salazar is the first one in a long time. I suspect its the approach but they are also quick to move guys too. Some organisations are just good at it. In recent years we spent 2nd rounders on guys like Howard and Brown. I wouldn't be opposed to us using one of the 3 on a SP but I don't really trust the org to develop him. You gotta try but I'd prefer 2 of the picks on position guys and 1 on a SP until they prove they can develop a guy. I one way, I think Grant knows this org is not good at developing guys which is maybe a reason Naquin was taken above Wacha. Not saying it was The Reason.

Despite the above, check out the latest mock:

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014 ... icks/39952

I'd be really happy with Reid-Foley, even allowing for my dislike of hyphenated names. This mock also is the first to include Michael Kopech in Round 1. This guy saw the same game that I saw.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:12 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:With the decline of every Qualifying Offer & the likelihood of the Yankees resigning Robinson Cano and possibly Hiroki Kuroda, the draft positions are set.. IF Ubaldo signs elsewhere (still open for consideration), the Indians would then have picks # 24, 37 and 45 in the coming June First Entry draft.. With three in the top fifty, the Indians draft pool will be swelled by the addition of these two picks. It's a deep and talented draft and could be even further augmented if the Indians / Rockies / Cardinals decide to make a trade that would include the Rockies giving up their competitive balance draft lottery selection (projected # 43).. We shall see...

Don't forget that teams will lose 1st rounders for signing any of those FA's that declined the QO. Of the teams that don't have protected first rounders, I think its fair to say that the Yankees and Texas will probably lose their 1st rounders pushing our first pick up 2 spots to 22. The Giants, Angels, Orioles, Royals, and Nationals all draft in front of us and I think it is fair to assume that at least one of these teams will also be singing a FA linked to compensation, so our first pick will probably move up 3-4 spots to 20 or 21 and our second and third picks could each move up anywhere from 4-7 spots. We could have picks 21, 32, and 40 come June. Hopefully we can produce something with them.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Next

Return to Indians Prospect Talk