Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am

GeronimoSon wrote:CP Rage.. Outrageous.. The homer to Viciedo was a mistake pitch.. no doubt about it.. ball up and out over the plate that "Tank" drilled just over the wall in RF.. That's a pitch CP cannot make.. Then, two K's.. nasty sliders and fastballs down in the zone.. The CWSox hitters had no chance.. The homer to De Aza was not on a mistake pitch.. fastball down and in and just off the plate. Most hitters foul that one off their front leg, or, at best, rope a foul ball to the stands just past the first base dugout. De Aza golfed it out.. Tip of the cap time..not time to boo.. After that, CP was rattled and Tito got him the hell outta there..

Um...what? The ball was belt high and out over the plate. De Aza ripped it out. That was a worse pitch than the Viciado HR (though both were bad pitches).

Personally not the biggest fan of fans booing their own guys (can understand it but rarely approve). Perez is one of the few guys that I think deserves it. Bashed the front office, fans (even if they deserved it), hasn't pitched well, and was busted for weed....not exactly a guy that should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby danh8 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Both pitches were up.. Perez needs to work at the knees and below.. When he gets up around the belt he's always susceptible to the gopher ball. To me, at crucial times he just appears to lose his mechanics and just look to muscle the ball up there and that's when he rides high. The book has been out for awhile.. He just needs to tame the demon between his ears.
Last edited by danh8 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:16 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:The comparison between Brantley and Beltran wasn't about WAR or OPS+ or RBI's after the seventh inning of home games during the sixth month of a season and other Stat-head bullshit. It was about their approach to the each at bat. The countenance exhibited during an at bat. Their demeanor on the field, Their intrinsic knowledge of how the game is played and the beauty of the execution of that insight. Some day, someone real bright is going to take the FanGraphs inspired Dave Cameron wannabes and his band of Neo-Statisticians out into the sunshine and show them that there is more to the game than fWAR and UZR150..

At the end of the day, both Michael Brantley and Carlos Beltran are Major League Outfielders. Both hit for decent average and decent power. Both are very good defenders and they both make their teams better for them being in the line up. My comments are not wrong.. disagreeing for the sake of disagreement is nonsense...

Chiz has a chance of being left off the post season roster. It may be a decision that has already been made, too. Chiz is a left handed batter who is defensively 'adequate' but limited to batting against RHP's.. He's redundant to Big G in that regard. Mike Aviles has held down the third base spot rather well recently and offers versatility that allows Tito the option of keeping G on his bench for dramatic moments in games. Aviles is not a gold glover but has done an equal or superior job to Chiz, overall with the bat & with the glove. If you're Lonnie Chisenhall, you can't believe you have a guaranteed spot.

Jose Ramirez's contract was purchased from Akron on September 1st. He's not eligible for inclusion on the post season roster unless there is an injury substitution..

Jason Kubel will probably get to see some action beginning tonight..perhaps as a DH. The Indians need to get him going. With Swisher in RF, CSan at 1B, the DH spot opens up for him. The OF could be Brantley, Stubbs and Raburn, left to right.. while Michael Bourn may get the night off. The question becomes.. will Tito move Dr Smooth to the leadoff spot to face the CWSox RH'er Axlerod?

Brantley vs Beltran isn't just about stats....simply watching them (I question whether you do much of this anymore), they just aren't too similar. I mean yes, you are right they are both MLB outfielders (wow, so observant you are), and yes both the Royals (team Beltran played for when he was Brantley's age) and the Indians were/are glad to have them as they make the team better. You've just described at least half the OFers in baseball. If Brantley hits for decent power than Beltran hit for great power. Face it, you're comparing apples to oranges. O wait, you're never wrong...I forgot :rolleyes

There is no way the Tribe is talking about leaving Chiz off the playoff roster. No way in HELL do they go with Aviles, Cabrera, and Kipnis as their only 3B, SS, 2B on the roster. That's just ridiculous to even say. I gave you a maybe with Ramirez, but if he can't go then no way is Chiz left off, not even a discussion. Chiz's chance of being left off the roster right now is the same as the chances of me being added to it....zilch.

Lonnie has actually been arguablly better with the bat than Aviles this year too (really they are about the same). Not to mention that Chiz is hitting .286 with a .953 OPS and 3 HRs in the month of September (10 starts, 37 PAs). Aviles? Hitting .220 with a .664 OPS and 1 HR (12 starts, 41 PAs). But again, that's all besides the point. Absolutely need at least 1 backup infielder.

We'll see on Kubel. With the righty on the mound and Bourn banged up he may see some time in RF even. Was really hoping the change of scenery would get him going but hasn't happened yet (not much playing time either). I don't see how Brantley doesn't hit leadoff to be honest now. Kipnis is the much better option when looking at the year as a whole but he's just in too great a funk right now. Brantley hitting over .360 in September (.375 OBP). Gotta give him the shot IMO. The only thing maybe that would keep Brantley from hitting leadoff would be if Tito wanted to bat him 3rd (move Kip to leadoff) to still give Brantley more of an opportunity to hit with men on base. That said, I'd still go leadoff tonight with him.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:22 pm

danh8 wrote:Both pitches were up.. Perez needs to work at the knees and below.. When he gets up around the belt he's always susceptible to the gopher ball. To me, at crucial times he just appears to lose his mechanics and just look to muscle the all up there and that's when he ride high. The book has been outfor awhile.. He just needs to take the demon between his ears.

The long ball has absolutely killed him this year. He's averaging 1.7 per 9 innings this year, nearly double his career mark heading into the year (0.9). Previous three seasons was at 0.6, 0.8 and 0.9. Trending up sure, but nothing really suggested we'd see this. To me he just doesn't seem as focused this year. Seemed like he was going thru the motions against Vicieado. Woke up after the homer and blew the next 2 guys away (he can be that good)...then just left a pitch up. He definitely owed Giambi a nice steak dinner after the game.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby El Em » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I bear no malice in considering the the Beltran/Brantley "26 year old" comparison, but I do not really see it. That said, I really enjoy Brantley and have "defended" him for years against the "is this all we got for CC crowd?"...he is a very good player who has shown an amazing amount of clutch performance this year. He is one of my personal favorites, but at a similar age, Beltran radiated star power with just an eye test...numbers are considerably better even with an "era" adjustment. Grady was as close as we had to a talent like Beltran. He's no Beltran, but I am very happy we have Dr. Smooth!

Larry
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 pm

I am excited to see Masterson back on the mound...hopeful he can build back up to starting in a potential ALDS.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby El Em » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Just an inning, but Masty looked free and easy...very strong!

Way to go Tribe! I'm hoping 3 of 4 sews it up for us in Minneapolis , but In any case, I continue to enjoy the ride.
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 am

El Em wrote: He's no Beltran, but I am very happy we have Dr. Smooth!

+1

And agree on the Grady/Beltran comp.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:25 am

El Em wrote:Just an inning, but Masty looked free and easy...very strong!

Way to go Tribe! I'm hoping 3 of 4 sews it up for us in Minneapolis , but In any case, I continue to enjoy the ride.

Very nice to see Masty back out there. Today and tomorrow will be keys on how he feels. Looked great but with adrenaline going, hopefully all is good with that oblique. Going to be interesting to see how he's used...Definitely want to see him starting, but he could by dynamite out of that pen. Could be our Lincecum this year.

I think 3 of 4 in Minny will sew it up too. Angels are playing very well right now (took 2 of 3 from the red hot A's). They still have a shot at an above .500 season (are 78-80 right now). They aren't gonna be an easy win like the Astros were for the Rangers. Tribe can't let up but like our chances right now. Still hoping to pass the Rays and get that top Wild Card spot. Can't believe I'm saying this....but go Yankees! (just threw up in my mouth a bit)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

The change in the Wild Card Race for the AL took a night off.. nothing changed.. The Rays won, the Rangers won and the Indians won. ho hum. As of this morning, the race appears as it did yesterday with one less game to play..:

+ 1 .............Tampa ( Yankees then on the road for the Jays )
0 ...............Cleveland ( On the road against the Twins)
-1 ..............Rangers ( Hosting the Angels)

All three teams have four games remaining as of the morning of 9/26. All three teams have no more off days until the end of the regular season..

The Yankees send their best SP (currently their best) in the form of "Super" Nova against Alex Cobb, who seems to be getting it done with smoke and mirros.. If the Yankees have any heart left after being eliminated, tonight would be the night for them to recover what little dignity they can muster and stop from being swept... The Angels / Rangers rivalry was planned to hit a crescendo this weekend, but, that didn't happen.. Instead, the Angels will get the chance to stick it to the Rangers by eliminating them in a spoiler role. Jerome Williams gets the start against Matt Garza. Williams' season may best be described as 'indifferent". He sports a sub .500 record and mediocre ERA, and, generally, a below league average stat line. Tonight's start, his last of the season, should mean something as he finishes his ARB II season and prepares for his ARB III season in 2014..

The Indians send Zach McAllister to the bump coming off a W against the Stros. He lasted five innings and was pulled in the rain shortened game. Z-Mac has pitched against the Twins twice in his last ten starts, getting W's both times. He's pitch 13.1 IP's giving up 3 earned runs. He's had outstanding / quality starts each time. Hopefully, he can continue that against Andrew Albers who had his career best game ever in a two hit shut out against the Indians in the second week of August. Should be a good matchup...made better from the Indians perspective with Joe Mauer shut down and Justin Morneau playing for the Pirates...

Musings on last night's game at Progressive Field.. What a crowd!!. The place was rockin and rollin, especially when Nasty Masty took the ball in the ninth. Dr Smooooooth did his thing and Nick Swisher hit a bomb. There were a few "ooops's", however, it was a brilliant close to the home portion of the regular season. There is no doubt, Cleveland is a BASEBALL TOWN!!.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 am

Nice story about Big G's big night...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

Class act.. class act in every way.. both for Big G and the Indians as an organization...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 am

One very interesting (IMO) development is that the Indians are currently listing Corey Kluber as their starter for tomorrow's game and not Kazmir (listed as the Friday starter). Kazmir should have been going tomorrow (on an extra day's rest mind you). This would seem to tell you that the Tribe is lining up Kluber to be the Wild Card Game starter as it sets him up to pitch that day on normal rest (he's going on normal rest tonight now too thanks to the Monday off day we had). Little surprised by this with how well Kaz has pitched in the month of September. Kluber hasn't been bad of late but think most would agree he hasn't looked quite as sharp. Kaz in theory could still go on 3 days rest but doubt we'd see that...though he would almost certainly be sitting out in the bullpen as an option.

Then again...Tribe could in theory rap up the Wild Card spot before Kaz even pitches on Friday (2 Tribe wins, 2 Texas losses and we're in)....which would change everything...

But as things stand now, assuming nothing changes with how the rotation is set up for the rest of the regular season...you likely have...

WC Game: Kluber
ALDS Game 1: Ubaldo
ALDS Game 2: Kazmir
ALDS Game 3: Kluber
ALDS Game 4: McAllister (maybe Salazar?)
ALDS Game 5: Ubaldo

Not bad....not bad at all....and that's assuming Masterson doesn't start...

Also:
Tiebreak Game 1 (if needed): Salazar
Tiebreak Game 2 (if needed): McAllister

Hopefully none of these will be needed though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ChadS17 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 am

Hermie13 wrote:One very interesting (IMO) development is that the Indians are currently listing Corey Kluber as their starter for tomorrow's game and not Kazmir (listed as the Friday starter). Kazmir should have been going tomorrow (on an extra day's rest mind you). This would seem to tell you that the Tribe is lining up Kluber to be the Wild Card Game starter as it sets him up to pitch that day on normal rest (he's going on normal rest tonight now too thanks to the Monday off day we had). Little surprised by this with how well Kaz has pitched in the month of September. Kluber hasn't been bad of late but think most would agree he hasn't looked quite as sharp. Kaz in theory could still go on 3 days rest but doubt we'd see that...though he would almost certainly be sitting out in the bullpen as an option.

Then again...Tribe could in theory rap up the Wild Card spot before Kaz even pitches on Friday (2 Tribe wins, 2 Texas losses and we're in)....which would change everything...

But as things stand now, assuming nothing changes with how the rotation is set up for the rest of the regular season...you likely have...

WC Game: Kluber
ALDS Game 1: Ubaldo
ALDS Game 2: Kazmir
ALDS Game 3: Kluber
ALDS Game 4: McAllister (maybe Salazar?)
ALDS Game 5: Ubaldo

Not bad....not bad at all....and that's assuming Masterson doesn't start...

Also:
Tiebreak Game 1 (if needed): Salazar
Tiebreak Game 2 (if needed): McAllister

Hopefully none of these will be needed though.

Kazmir wasn't exactly stellar in two starts against the Royals this month. Personally I would go with Kluber as he has been better overall this year. This appears to be the direction Tito is going with the rotation change as you mentioned. I would hate to see Kazmir with one of his 5IP/4ER outings in a game this important. Obviously would be a short leash, but still..

Also worth considering that he would be facing the Rays (his former team). He dominated the Mets and many thought facing his former team gave him extra life. That wouldn't make my decision for me, but worth a thought.

And why isn't Salazar guaranteed a spot in the rotation? Especially now with the pitch count off?
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:36 am

ChadS17 wrote:Kazmir wasn't exactly stellar in two starts against the Royals this month. Personally I would go with Kluber as he has been better overall this year. This appears to be the direction Tito is going with the rotation change as you mentioned. I would hate to see Kazmir with one of his 5IP/4ER outings in a game this important. Obviously would be a short leash, but still..

Also worth considering that he would be facing the Rays (his former team). He dominated the Mets and many thought facing his former team gave him extra life. That wouldn't make my decision for me, but worth a thought.

And why isn't Salazar guaranteed a spot in the rotation? Especially now with the pitch count off?

Personally just don't think he has a guaranteed spot right now, but I may be wrong. Francona just still seems pretty set in his ways, will ride the guys that have got him here. McAllister has been around longer than Salazar so think he gets the nod. Stubbs keeps getting to play against RHP even though Raburn and Kubel are better against them. Why? Well defense but also just seems Francona likes what he knows. At least that's the way it seems to me. Took him forever to give Gomes more time behind the plate too.

I know the Tribe seems to have lifted the inning count...but for how long? Talent wise I definitely think he deserves it. And I would put him in...but I'm not sure the Indians feel the same. Again, I may be wrong. Also, I just think it would be very, very tough to leave McAllister completely off the playoff roster. He's been a big part of why we are here. I know you could put him in the pen as a long man but a guy like Albers could give you 2 innings and you don't really need a long-man, especially in a short series. Realize it's what's best for the team and not a single player, but still. As crazy as it sounds...if Masterson is healthy, the best current 4 man rotation may be Ubaldo, Masterson, Kazmir, and Salazar with Kluber and Mcallister in the pen/off the roster...Can't remember the last time the Tribe had this much good rotation depth.

Tony mentioned he thinks Salazar and Masterson will get the start in the Wild Card game (splitting up game) if Ubaldo has to go Sunday (if he doesn't then I think everyone would agree Ubaldo goes in that game). That could be an option for sure. Kluber and Masterson or Kluber and Salazar could be too (Kluber has yet to go 6 innings since returning from the DL) IMO.

Suppose the "simple" thing to do would be to only go with 12 position players and 13 pitchers. Gets all 6 starters on the team in some capacity plus the 7 relievers that seem like locks. Just think a 9 man pen is a bit much personally....though would give him some options to pull a starter real early.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Here's what we think we know....

-Wild Card Tie Breaker Game(s) will be played with the expanded rosters...as it's considered a regular season game... So, the full, all hands situation exists. It's after the tie breakers are completed that the rosters are reduced to 25 for the Official Wild Card Play In game.

-For that game, the Indians, if they are fortunate to get that far... would only need one starter, and then 15 or 16 position players and 8 or 9 relief pitchers. This means that just about every position player will make the Wild Card Play In game while all but one starting pitcher.. won't..

-After the Wild Card Play In Game, then the rosters can then be adjusted again. This time to reflect the need for three or four starters and the corresponding decrease in pen or position players. Should be interesting...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Edible14 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:51 pm

So, if I'm reading Tony right, it looks like Salazar and Masterson will be a sort-of piggyback situation for the playoff run. Which I like. If they truly don't believe that either of those guys can be stretched to a full start at this point, then it's a great use of two very good pitchers. After that, it's between Kazmir and McAllister for the last spot (as Kluber and Ubaldo are locks, who would've guessed that at the season's start?). I say Kazmir at least for the ALDS, since that would be against the Red Sox. The Sox are lefty heavy (Ortiz, Ellsbury, and Drew. Also, Nava and Salty are switch hitters with much worse stats against lefties). So having Kazmir match up against them wouldn't be a bad idea.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby go_tribe » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:32 pm

CP get the hell off this team, my GOD he sucks
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 pm

CP can go home and smoke a doobie with his dog for all I care. He's a liability.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 am

Well at least Perez hasn't cost us the win with his most recent suck streak. Maybe Francona will get the memo that says "Perez is not the answer at closer."
Forget using Masterson to "piggy-back" anyone. We'd better use him in high-leverage situations....8th and/or 9th innings. He's the best pitcher in the pen.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby danh8 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:37 am

I always knew that if it ever came to this type situation this is how it would play out with Perez.. His nature is to avoid when it gets hot and heavy. He leaves the locker when his performances are bad, he can't take what the fans give him on twitter.. I mean, a closer has to have intestinal fortitude. He can't shrink under pressure or cave when things are rough ...they have to thrive in that climate. He's always shown everything but that..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby danh8 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 am

Chiefroy wrote:Well at least Perez hasn't cost us the win with his most recent suck streak. Maybe Francona will get the memo that says "Perez is not the answer at closer."
Forget using Masterson to "piggy-back" anyone. We'd better use him in high-leverage situations....8th and/or 9th innings. He's the best pitcher in the pen.

That's the thing that we have to look at as a positive. He hasn't cost us the playoffs yet ..thankfully. Although, if he wouldn't have blown those games vs the Tigers we may have won the division.. I digress .. But, this ends his career in a Tribe uniform I presume. He didn't cost us this season like I was fearing he would. Hopefully we can get the closer role defined with Shaw, Masterson, Salazar ..I'd keep Smith in the 8th inning role, myself. But, to me ..all that's gone on with Masterson just leads me to believe he's the best person. He can be dominant in that role to close out the year.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 am

danh8 wrote:
Chiefroy wrote:Well at least Perez hasn't cost us the win with his most recent suck streak. Maybe Francona will get the memo that says "Perez is not the answer at closer."

That's the thing that we have to look at as a positive. He hasn't cost us the playoffs yet ..thankfully. Although, if he wouldn't have blown those games vs the Tigers we may have won the division.. I digress .. But, this ends his career in a Tribe uniform I presume. He didn't cost us this season like I was fearing he would. Hopefully we can get the closer role defined with Shaw, Masterson, Salazar ..I'd keep Smith in the 8th inning role, myself. But, to me ..all that's gone on with Masterson just leads me to believe he's the best person. He can be dominant in that role to close out the year.

If I were Tito, I would leave Smith in the 8th and try Shaw out as closer.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 am

The change in the Wild Card Race for the AL took a second night off in a row.. That is nothing changed again.. The Rays won on Mariano Night in the Bronx, the Rangers committed a dozen errors (or so it seemed) and were able to get a come back, on a walk off home run from Jurickson Profar and the Indians tried to give the game away late with a second poor performance from CP Rage.. The Tribe held on to beat the Twins. So, as of this morning, the race appears as it did yesterday with one less game to play..:

+ 1 .............Tampa ( On the road against the Jays )

All three teams have three games remaining as of the morning of 9/27. All three teams have no more off days until the end of the regular season..

Musings on last night's game.. Dr Smoooth is doing his thing in the clutch.. with grace and confidence. You can see him growing into that middle of the order, major influence, team leader every night. Since he started hitting the ball with soooo much regularity, the Indians have taken off.. The Yanimal !! WOW. A two run dinger, his improving defense behind the dish / game calling and his ability to shut down the running game makes him indispensable to the success of the club. Droob's barehanded grab and throw all in one motion is just another example of why this defensive wizard is so revered by the rest of MLB, tremendous play. Tito using Matty Carson in RF as a defensive replacement for Raburn was a big move.. ginormous.. perhaps saved the game.. Nice to see Stubber's getting on base with two walks.. oh.. and he had a hit as well.. The pitching was just good enough last night.. not great. not all star level.,. just enough..

Onto game two of the four game series.. The Indians send Corey Kluber to the bump riding a four game winning streak. He's been resilient and has started to get his command of all three of his pitches back. Tonight could be his best night of the year.. He's due for a great game!! Pedro Hernandez has faced the Indians w/ two starts. His results have been mixed, losing an early May game while winning a late June game. In the May 3rd start, he allowed 5 runs while pitching into the sixth inning that the Twins eventually lost in extra innings in, perhaps, Drew Stubbs best moment of the year.. Hernandez was only able to last five innings in his second start against the Indians before being removed in a game the Twins eventually won. He's a short / stocky lefty who the Indians have shown are able to handle..

This season's final three games are all must win, provided the other two clubs continue to keep pace with the Indians. It should continue to be loads of fun...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:58 am

From mlb.com on tonights Rays-Jays game:

"...the Rays could use a rebound performance from Jeremy Hellickson (12-9, 5.16 ERA). The right-hander owns a 7.75 ERA over his past nine starts, averaging 4 1/3 innings per outing while surrendering a .338 average and eight homers. The Rangers touched him up for five runs in only 2 2/3 innings in his last start, on Sept. 17."

Hopefully the Blue Jays will be able to get to Hellickson, who has been abysmal in his last nine starts. RA Dickey (13-13) goes for the Jays. If his knuckler is knuckling the Rays might finally get beat after winning seven straight.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby theshow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:00 am

What is going on with Vinnie Pestano? Is bringing him back an option?
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:26 am

theshow wrote:What is going on with Vinnie Pestano? Is bringing him back an option?

The attacking style and command of both his slider and fastball are just not the same for VP this season. From the World Baseball Classic on, he hasn't been the same guy. He just doesn't seem to be able to put the ball on the corner.. or just off.. It's affected his results in a negative way. Some believe his confidence is shaken.. others speculate that he suffered some kind of minor injury early on and hasn't recovered/has changed his mechanics so slightly that it's indiscernable from last year.. but still, affecting his control and command..

IDK.. but it's clear, he's not the same bulldog / attacking back of the pen kind of pitcher.....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby nubballguy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:43 am

theshow wrote:What is going on with Vinnie Pestano? Is bringing him back an option?

Not an option you'd want! Not at this point in the season as his struggles have not abated.

His best hope is to regroup and come back strong in spring training and re-establish himself.
He's always been a fierce competitor and fan favorite, lets hope he can reclaim his former effectiveness and not wither away like a Jensen Lewis.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:27 am

A.Zajac wrote:
danh8 wrote:

I agree with both of you on Shaw. Between Shaw, Allen, and even Salazar, It seems like Shaw does the best job of keeping the ball in the ball park. I think he could get the job done.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:47 am

Just for the sake of perspective...the opposing SP the Indians and Rangers are scheduled to face the rest of the year...

Friday: Cleveland vs. Pedro Hernandez, Texas vs. CJ Wilson

Saturday: Cleveland vs. Cole DeVries, Texas vs. Garrett Richards

Sunday: Cleveland vs. Scott Diamond, Texas vs. Jason Vargas

Texas isn't exactly facing great pitchers (Richards and Vargas are back-end kind of guys), but the guys the Twins are starting don't even belong in major league rotations. Look at Hernandez' and DeVries' Triple-A starts this year; In 10 starts, he had an ERA of 7.02 and WHIP of 1.80. In Triple-A, Hernandez was 4.50 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. Granted, DeVries was acceptable last year for the Twins, but this year he's been bad. I've at least heard of Scott Diamond but he's got 49 K in 125 IP this year. None of these guys can miss bats.

All of this being said, I think it's still a lot to ask for the Indians to win all 3 of these games because you never know in baseball, but if the Indians can't win at least 2 of 3 vs. these pitchers they probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyhow.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:49 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
danh8 wrote:

I like the idea of Shaw as a closer. He did it in college didn't he?

That said..if Masterson isn't in the rotation, I'd consider using him in the 9th...and possibly both the 8th and 9th (closer doesn't have to be a 1 inning guy)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:52 pm

nubballguy wrote:

Not an option you'd want! Not at this point in the season as his struggles have not abated.

His best hope is to regroup and come back strong in spring training and re-establish himself.
He's always been a fierce competitor and fan favorite, lets hope he can reclaim his former effectiveness and not wither away like a Jensen Lewis.

Here's hoping he has a Cliff Lee like rebound. Lee has said how much it hurt being left off the 2007 playoff roster. Helped give him even more motivation/drive going into the 2008 season. Pestano is clearly getting left off this year's playoff roster (assuming we make it)...obviously not expecting a Cy Young year from Pestano but if he could reclaim his former stuff, that's be HUGE. A 2011-2012 Pestano, Allen, and Shaw in the 7th-9th innings would be very nice. Would make losing Smith and Perez a lot easier.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm

The fall off of Vinnie Pestano isn't too shocking. Middle relievers don't have long shelf-lives. He wasn't ever regarded as that good of a prospect and he quickly turned into a dominant MLB reliever -- that wasn't likely to last if you look at historical precedent. There's lots of similar examples out there.

Regarding the bullpen situation -- I wouldn't be shocked to see Chris Perez left off a post-season roster, if the Indians make it that far.

I'm good with a closer by committee situation if it comes to it. Justin Masterson, Joe Smith and Bryan Shaw are all extremely effective vs. RH with their low arm slots -- I don't think any of them fit the traditional closer mold. With his taller, high 3/4 arm slot, Cody Allen should be effective vs. both LH and RH hitters, but I don't think we all would trust him closing things out because at times he's shaky.

I'd prefer Masterson, Smith or Shaw closing it out vs. RH hitters, but if the Indians are fortunate enough to play the Red Sox in the ALDS, who do you feel most comfortable pitching in the 9th vs. David Ortiz? I'm not sure the Indians have a clear cut answer; you could even throw Rzepcynski out there vs. him if available.

After the blown save vs. the White Sox this week, I thought you still had to stick with Perez but I'm ready to pull the plug. He's a clear non-tender this off-season and I think the Indians have better options. There's no time to wait things out. Depending on how he's used in the coming days and his health, the answer could be Masterson. The other guys are so inexperienced.
Last edited by OhioBaseball on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:36 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
..“After Clubs have been assigned their A, B and C designations, Club A would host Club B on Monday, Sept. 30 (tentatively). The winner of the game would be declared one Wild Card winner. Club C would then host the loser of the game between Club A and Club B on Tuesday, Oct. 1 (tentatively) to determine the second Wild Card Club.”

Because the Indians have the best record in the three way world, they get to pick what spot they want first.. probably Club A from the MLB tie designation rules. The Rays would get to pick next (they have the second best record in the three way world) and would probably decide that they want to play one game at home as opposed to one (A-B) game on the road or two games on the road. The Rays have been tremendous at home, so, they would probably pick C as that would mean they couldn't lose on the road, and would host the loser or the A-B game..

Some might believe that if team B is the loser of the A-B game, getting a second chance against Team C on the road would be an advantage.. It's not.. being the loser of the A-B game means your top two starters are burned for the single, win or go home play in game.. Any team that wants to have their # 3 starter in that spot not named Detroit would be in trouble..

As it stands now.. there are no ties.. but, there is a realistic chance that there could be two or even three teams tied at the end of the day on Sunday..

Wouldn't that be fun?..

Comments?..

Looks like with only 3 teams left MLB has announced what would happen in a 3-team tie (teams have picked which "club" they'd be):
MLB announced that if there's a 3-way tie the system would go:

Tampa @ Cleveland - game 1
Loser of game 1 @ Texas - game 2

Tribe is your "Club A"
Tampa is "Club B"
And Texas was stuck with "Club C"

Hopefully the Tribe can manage to just make it without this but winning a 1 game playoff on Monday wouldn't be bad. Force Texas to use their 3 best starters in a row, and Tampa to use Price and someone else.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:01 am

I'll say this - we're really good at beating bad teams. And the Twins without Mauer and Morneau - ugh.

After last night I'm going with Masterson as my closer for the last two games and the single wild card play-in game if it comes to that.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:15 am

Finally... some movement/change in the wild card race.. and just slightly for the better from the Indians perspective... The change in the Wild Card Race for the AL came from an ''error" (attributed, to a degree to the turf at the Roger's Center) that saw what should have been a single turn into a mult-run crushing defeat of the Tampa Bay Rays. Their CF'er was in such a hurry to get the ball and throw.. he missed it altogether in shallow CF. The ball rolled all the way to the wall.. and resulted in two Jays runs. So, as of this morning, the race appears as:

0 ...............Tampa ( On the road against the Jays )

All three teams have two games remaining as of the morning of 9/28. All three teams have no more off days until the end of the regular season and, surprisingly, all three teams play matinee games today. The Rangers start off this odd three way with an noon eastern start time..

Musings on last night's game..

Okay.. where is all this offense coming from?.. Oh.. it's the Twins pitching.. Good pitching stops good hitting.. so the converse, lousy pitching generates good offense is in play.. While it's nice to see runs being scored, at bats, where fat fastballs go down the middle of the plate, just a weee bit above mid thigh high, like the ones Swisher watched go by.. can't be permitted such easy passage.. Fattening up the stats isn't the point... Focusing in & have quality at bats.. is.

Corey Kluber pitched like he had a good lead. He put the ball over the plate and made the Twins earn their runs.. and they did. The stats look pretty bad for Kluber, but, the actual game says otherwise.. Rich Hill letting in all the inherited runners wasn't what Tito wanted to see.. It seems like Hill pitches some times.. other times..not so much.His status on the squad has to be shakey.. IDK..

The Big Bats: Kipnis kills Twins pitching.. Asrubal appears to be swinging the bat with a LOT more aggressiveness.. A LOT. The bottom of the order (7-9) was 5/14 with four runs and five RBI's.. When the bottom of the order gets on base like that and is productive.. this team can't be stopped..

Onto Game number 161... the penultimate of the regular season.. 180 days ago, the Indians started their journey with a win over the Toronto Blue Jays.. The season's final home stand saw a helluva walk up and the fans that came.. were incredibly loud and close. The crowd had a 1997 feel to it.. The Indians are on the precipice of being a playoff team. And the BUZZ is in the air..

But... let us harken back to the beginning of the season.. When the optimism of "hope springs eternal" was in the air.. At that time.. like I do with my close friends.. our resident CPA (he really is a CPA..retired from Ernst and Young) presented the yearly prognostication spread sheet..there are 27 of us that have been participating in this little exercise for more than a decade.. At that time..I predicted the Indians would win the AL Central with an 88 win total Plus or Minus two games and go on to face the Cincinnati Reds in the Fall Classic..where they would win in 7 games.. So far.. my predictions aren't horrible: AL East Rays, AL Central Indians, AL West A's AL WC 1: Tigers AL WC 2: Rangers, NL East Nationals, NL Central Reds NL West Dodgers NL WC 1 Cardinals NL WC 2: SF Giants. I completely missed on the Red Sox...would be the worst of the predictions.. Overall, not bad..

I wasn't the only person who made predictions.. The following was offered by several members of the Cleveland area media:

Paul Hoynes; Indians finish: 84-78, fourth in Central. "The Indians' starting pitching isn't good enough to make the postseason despite a 15-game improvement in the win column compared to 2012. {note: how does a team finish six games above .500 and end up in fourth place?..this guy is just stupid}

Bill Liviingston: Indians finish: 80-82, third in Central. "Even with the improved lineup, Jimenez and Masterson would have to win 15 games apiece for this team to contend."

Dennis Manoloff: Indians record: 76-86, fourth in Central. "Terry Francona can't be expected to solve everything in one year. Tribe's improved lineup fails to compensate enough for shaky rotation." { gets the award for farthest off in the prediction awards}

Terry Pluto: Indians finish: 82-80, second in Central. "The Indians will be 82-80 because uneven starting pitching will hold them back."

Bud Shaw: Indians finish: 87-75, second in Central. "Not quite a season of dreams, but the end of a long nightmare." {Closest to being correct}

Sheldon Ocker: Three consistent starters isn’t going to turn the Indians into contenders for the Central Division championship...so, the bottom line for an Indians team that won 68 games in 2012? To win 12 more would be a significant improvement, even though 80 victories won’t put the club in the playoffs, even as a wild-card entry {reading between the lines here.. Ocker didn't say the Indians would win 12 more.. just that a team that improves by 12 game from 68 to 80 would still not make the playoffs.. this is the usual drivel from Seldom Write Ocker..}

So, our half dozen media folks have their recorded predictions in place. NOT ONE OF THEM predicted the Indians making enough headway to be even a wild card contender. These are the same guys that have been predicting the Browns will get to .500 this season.. It's not FAIR to the Indians to have the entire editorial paper media constantly banging away at how these guys aren't good enough. They are good enough..and with a little positive press.. the number of people who go to the games..will increase..

These guys know it. and so does anyone who looks at the attendance numbers and wonder.."... why haven't I gone to a game this year?..."
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Okay.. last wild card posting.. has:

+1 .......... Indians
0 ........... Rangers
0 ........... Rays

The Rays loss to the Jays is devastating to them.. They have really put themselves into a tough situation as they MUST do whatever the Rays do tomorrow, or, their season is over.. The Rangers continued to win and find themselves in the exact same spot.. If either the Rays or Rangers lose while the other team wins.. then that team will be going home. All three teams play a matinee tomorrow as well.. The Rays game starts at 1, the Indians at 2 and the Rangers at 3.. So, scoreboard watching should become a city wide obsession in the the MetroPlex and St Pete via Toronto..

The Indians situation is pretty straight forward..win and they're playing someone on Wednesday at Progressive Field on a warm and wonderful night. Game time temps should be in the low 70's with a left field corner to right field corner wind that will barely ripple the Flag in Center Field.. The Indians would love it if one or both the Rangers / Rays lost.. That would be the most ideal situation. Then, what the Tribe does tomorrow, wouldn't matter.. The next best thing is to see the Rays lose..period..

Musings on today's game.. The first three innings were BRUTAL.. De Vries was being made to look like Cy Young reincarnated... then.. the crack in his armor was exposed.. Kipper did his thing.. followed by CSan.. and the Twins had no answer.. Aviles was out, but a bad call was made allowing a run to score.. Scott Kazmir showed that even though he didn't start with his best stuff.. he found it and was wildly effective, going six strong with 11 K's and two free passes.. Tremendous outing.. ... Scrabble gave up a walk and not much else.. The Twins never raised a threat thereafter..

A professional win by the Son's of Geronimo.. Hopefully.. tomorrow's game will be 'more of the same'...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Congrats to the Sons of Geronimo.. Wild Card Wednesday and Progressive Field will be Rockin !.. woot..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby nubballguy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 pm

The Wahoo Wonders onto Wild Card Wednesday! WAHOO!!!!
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 am

Amazing finish to the season! 10 in a row, clinched top WC spot...2 teams have to waste another pitcher (no Price for the Rays if they move on) and no Moore. Looks like We'd see Cobb from them. Texas without Darvish or Perez...either see Garza or Ogando (or Holland on 3 days rest). Like the Tribe's chances. Salazar starting, figure Kluber will be in the pen (could have started on normal rest). McAllister and Masterson can be out there too, and hell even Kaz is probably gonna be available.

And how about Ubaldo?! Currently sports the 10th best ERA in the AL! (Price could in theory pass him still) Never thought I'd see that. What a turnaround. Lowest ERA in the AL in the 2nd half (by far) for Ubaldo at 1.86 (min 50 IP). If the Tribe can win the WC game, they set Ubaldo up perfectly as the ALDS game 1 starter. ERA is legit too, lowest DIPS in the AL in the 2nd half for Ubaldo as well at 2.41....2nd lowest DIPS in the AL in the 2nd half? Why that would be Scott Kazmir...who could be your game 2 starter. Ubaldo is 3rd in the AL in K/9 in the 2nd half too....Kaz is 5th....and Salazar is 2nd in K/9. Your 1, 2, and 3 starters? Kluber 4? Getting ahead of myself I know, but gotta be excited about this pitching! :cool
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Amazing finish to the season! 10 in a row, clinched top WC spot...2 teams have to waste another pitcher (no Price for the Rays if they move on) and no Moore. Looks like We'd see Cobb from them. Texas without Darvish or Perez...either see Garza or Ogando (or Holland on 3 days rest). Like the Tribe's chances. Salazar starting, figure Kluber will be in the pen (could have started on normal rest). McAllister and Masterson can be out there too, and hell even Kaz is probably gonna be available.

And how about Ubaldo?! Currently sports the 10th best ERA in the AL! (Price could in theory pass him still) Never thought I'd see that. What a turnaround. Lowest ERA in the AL in the 2nd half (by far) for Ubaldo at 1.86 (min 50 IP). If the Tribe can win the WC game, they set Ubaldo up perfectly as the ALDS game 1 starter. ERA is legit too, lowest DIPS in the AL in the 2nd half for Ubaldo as well at 2.41....2nd lowest DIPS in the AL in the 2nd half? Why that would be Scott Kazmir...who could be your game 2 starter. Ubaldo is 3rd in the AL in K/9 in the 2nd half too....Kaz is 5th....and Salazar is 2nd in K/9. Your 1, 2, and 3 starters? Kluber 4? Getting ahead of myself I know, but gotta be excited about this pitching! :cool

I remember the media saying near the beginning of the year that Callaway was trying to get Ubaldo to keep his leg kick more towards third base rather than turning to far back to the point that his eyes actually moved off his target. I did not see the change for a long time, but if you watch him now, you can certainly see how much shorter his motion is. He has lost velocity, but he has proven to be an incredibly intelligent pitcher. He can make the ball move any direction and he has been able to locate it, but his pitch selection has been wonderful. Players are just consistently guessing and always seems off balance.

I think the Ubaldo were seeing right now is very real and I would love to have the opportunity to bring him back next year, I just don't feel like he is going to be an option because of his price tag.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Speaking of Mickey Calloway....if there was a coach of the year award (non-manager), Calloway wins it in a landslide IMO.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

paul hoynes ‏@hoynsie 2m
Indians have told kubel, wood and Guilmet that they won't be on wild card roster.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby timdav » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Have to come clean, and be honest: I'm as shocked as anybody how far the Indians have gone in 2013.

I really didn't think they'd have enough to be too much better than 81-81. Even that would've been a big improvement.

What this team has done so far has been amazing and a real credit to everybody involved with the team.
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 am

This was posted some time ago at Fangraphs and reposted at the PSD sight:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/tampa-ba ... staff-ace/

One thing this article doesn't say.. and can't say.. is when a pitcher faces a club for the first time, and is successful.. then what happens the next time and the next time.. What kind of pitching mix was effective the first time around.. the second meeting..etc. Was the team he was facing on a winning streak or were they slumping..etc.. When you look at the teams that Cobb has faced more than once.. the type of hitters (young/overtly aggressive versus older/wiser/controlled), there appears to be a bit of a pattern.. This guy has been hit well.. The controlled hitting teams.. hit him better the next time and the time after that.. Cobb's overall numbers say he was remarkably consistent.. IDK if that's a true reflection of him...

Examples.. most recently..

Seattle.. First time.. five innings, 3 hits 1 earned run.. three weeks later.. 6 innings 7 hits 4 earned runs and few strikes outs. The Mariners were much better acquainted with him and hit him better the second time around..

Boston.. first meeting was a cold windy barely out of the 40's day in Boston.. Cobb pitched into the 7th inning.. gave up 3 earned runs and had 6 k's The next meeting in St Pete..controlled environment Cobb pitched into the 7th inning, 3 hits, 1 earned run and 6 k's. The next meeting in Boston 4 innings 7 hits 6 earned runs.. he was shelled. So, it can be done..

The Indians have only seen this guy once.. in the controlled conditions at the Trop.. Tomorrow night, will be their second.. The Indians hitters should have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Mr Cobb tomorrow.. At least, there is some evidence that a pattern exists..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 am

That's a great find, Chief. Hopefully the pattern holds and the Tribe will drum up a few runs against Mr. Cobb. They sure suck against pitchers they're facing for the first time, no matter who they are.

I take it the Rays have yet to face Danny Salazar?

Advantage Tribe.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby El Em » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 am

I am excited about the game tonight. In this, I am sure I am not alone.

I wish we were playing a best of three ( hopefully a change MLB makes in the future).
I do not think the pitching matchup really favors us, but I continue to be optimistic about this team's chances.
Salazar cannot implode, I do not think he will...we'll be in this game through the middle innings.
We cannot make many physical or mental errors...we have not over the past few weeks...stay locked in.
I do not think this team is too negatively effected by the pressure of a big game...thanks Tito.
In a one and done scenario, it helps to be a little lucky...I'm feeling lucky, this team does too.
I feel like we will win.
Go Tribe!

L
El Em
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 am

Prosecutor wrote:That's a great find, Chief. Hopefully the pattern holds and the Tribe will drum up a few runs against Mr. Cobb. They sure suck against pitchers they're facing for the first time, no matter who they are.

I take it the Rays have yet to face Danny Salazar?

Advantage Tribe.

Correct, Salazar has not faced the Rays (other than maybe spring training).

Should be a great game. In Cobb's last 7 starts his ERA is 2.59...in Salazar's last 7 starts his ERA is 2.62...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 am

The key to this game is going to be.. which young pitcher can keep it together..but, for widely divergent reasons...

Alex Cobb faced the Indians early in the season and completely dominated the Tribe. He did this while doing nothing unusual or special. He threw strikes..kept the ball down..created ground ball by pitching to contact, the Rays caught the ball, turned double plays..etc.. Alex Cobb doesn't throw as many strikes as his result show. If the Indians can keep their collective heads together..make Cobb throw strikes & take the ball to LF.. then, the times Cobb has been hit, will be repeated.

Danny Salazar is a power pitcher.. he has a devastating split change. When he's throwing his split change for strikes along with his fastball.. he can be very nasty.. He's a bit prone to giving up the long ball..especially on off speed offerings.. So, for Salazar to be effective.. he has to pitch to his strengths which include having his FB up, his split/change in the black.. and keep the ball in the yard..

Neither guy can give away free passes..and both guys will need to control their emotions as they will be playing in front of the largest crowds they've every pitched in front of all year.. The teams played competitive games in their regular season meetings. Tonight's game promises to be more of the same..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Tribe's lineup for tonight:

1. Bourn - CF (hoping he's at 100%)
2. Swisher - 1B
3. Kipnis - 2B
4. Santana - DH
5. Brantley - LF
6. Raburn - RF
7. Cabrera - SS
8. Gomes - C
9. Chisenhall - 3B

And of course, Salazar on the mound.

I like the move of Chiz over Aviles. Was not expecting it but really like it. Chiz earned it with his bat down the stretch. Really outhit Aviles. Nothing else is all that surprising. Those first 8 are the bats that got us here. Can understand why many would want Giambi starting but like his bat off the bench.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Salazar smokes the Rays in inning 1.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors