RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2013 MLB Draft

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. This is a guy we should target:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Play ... ?ID=319879

His father was such a pain in the ass to the Tribe, I think a pre-emptive strike is in order.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised with that kind of pick. He has the MLB bloodlines a lot of teams like. I think he has a chance to develop into an everyday player some day.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Wed May 29, 2013 11:56 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:Been meaning to post this but keep forgetting. This is a guy we should target:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Play ... ?ID=319879

His father was such a pain in the ass to the Tribe, I think a pre-emptive strike is in order.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised with that kind of pick. He has the MLB bloodlines a lot of teams like. I think he has a chance to develop into an everyday player some day.

Thats cant be Torri Hunter's son...looks nothing like him.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 am

Musings on the coming draft.. now just a week away...

I was going back through an notebook / journal I keep for phone conversations and other business related stuff.. On the back of the previous page, from time to time, I'll come across a name or a posting or a blurb or a comment from some online place that catches my eye.. On the back page of a notebook from about six or eight weeks ago.. I wrote the following names down as potential second round/mid 70's selections for the Indians draft:

-Ivan Watson.. right handed Outfielder, Ruston High School. Masher with ML potential. Swing Speed is phenomenal..
-Cody Thomas.. hard to say what this kid would be best at.. supreme athlete with speed and power...
-Trevor Clifton.. big RHP with lots of projection.. could be a diamond in the rough..
-Carlos Salazar.. RHP from the valley.. has Fresno St Committ, but this is a FOR SP down the road..
-Dominic Smith..lefty athlete..more than a baseball player..
-Max McPhearson.. speed merchant.. the kind that is a game changer.. the next kenny lofton? ..

Anyone of these guys with the 79th pick would be a nice addition to the fold.. imho, of those names listed, Cody Thomas should be the biggest target...comments?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 am

Dominic Smith -1b / LHP is a guy I think goes top 20 picks. He's got power at 1b and a 92 mph FB as a P.

I'd prefer the Tribe land one of Salazar or Clifton of those listed. Salazar has the power arm to dream on.

There are a number of talented HS players that bring a lot of projection that should be available throughout the middle rounds. Honestly, I look at a number of these guys and its hard to really differentiate them. That's actually a good thing because while the draft lacks a number of stars at the top of the draft there is some talent there. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of these guys from this draft class develop into solid major league contributors. That may sound like a blanket statement of sorts but the point is this draft doesn't lack talent, it lacks a volume of upper tier talent.

This being said there's 100+ guys that grade out as 2-4 round talents, IMHO. Point being a second round talent could be had in the third and fourth round for the Tribe, IMO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Dominic Smith -1b / LHP is a guy I think goes top 20 picks. He's got power at 1b and a 92 mph FB as a P.

I'd prefer the Tribe land one of Salazar or Clifton of those listed. Salazar has the power arm to dream on.

There are a number of talented HS players that bring a lot of projection that should be available throughout the middle rounds. Honestly, I look at a number of these guys and its hard to really differentiate them. That's actually a good thing because while the draft lacks a number of stars at the top of the draft there is some talent there. I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of these guys from this draft class develop into solid major league contributors. That may sound like a blanket statement of sorts but the point is this draft doesn't lack talent, it lacks a volume of upper tier talent.

This being said there's 100+ guys that grade out as 2-4 round talents, IMHO. Point being a second round talent could be had in the third and fourth round for the Tribe, IMO.

On Dominic Smith.. while I don't recall the article ( I was waiting to board a plane at DFW).. I got the distinct impression that this kid's best path has yet to reveal itself. The only thing that stood out was his left handed athleticism..

Salazar's coach or his opponent's coach or someone raved about him being the best pitcher he'd ever seen in 30 years.. or some form of hyperbole..

I don't know where you're going with the next paragraph.. lots of talented guys.. who knows where they're be drafted?

I'm surprised there isn't more focus on this Cody Thomas. Tremendous skills sets.. tall, athletic.. leadership.. etc.. kid has it all. He'd be exactly why the Astros would take Moran (and pay him the slot money commensurate with his talent.. about a # 6 $ 3.5 MM, thereby saving enough $$$$ to sign a guy like Cody Thomas. That would be quite a coup...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 4:37 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Dominic Smith -1b / LHP is a guy I think goes top 20 picks. He's got power at 1b and a 92 mph FB as a P.

On Dominic Smith.. while I don't recall the article ( I was waiting to board a plane at DFW).. I got the distinct impression that this kid's best path has yet to reveal itself. The only thing that stood out was his left handed athleticism..

Salazar's coach or his opponent's coach or someone raved about him being the best pitcher he'd ever seen in 30 years.. or some form of hyperbole..

I don't know where you're going with the next paragraph.. lots of talented guys.. who knows where they're be drafted?

I'm surprised there isn't more focus on this Cody Thomas. Tremendous skills sets.. tall, athletic.. leadership.. etc.. kid has it all. He'd be exactly why the Astros would take Moran (and pay him the slot money commensurate with his talent.. about a # 6 $ 3.5 MM, thereby saving enough $$$$ to sign a guy like Cody Thomas. That would be quite a coup...

RE: 79th pick...
Guys like Josh Hart, Stephen Wrenn and Matt McPherson are all similar types of talents. College arms like Emanual, Blair, Williams, Covey, S. Frazier, Overton barely are set apart from each other. A lot of similar talents.

I've not seen anyone big on Cody Thomas - although I am aware he's been rated 200-250 range talent. Some of these guys will likely slide around come the draft bc of similar skill sets. Depending on teams of course and what they value - but there's really not much of a difference in talent between guys like Will Crowe, Kevin Davis, Trevor Clifton, Carlos Salazar and Alec Hansen according to some "experts".

The point: there's going to be some flexibility and the Tribe could come away with something like...
C. Frazier, Salazar and Clifton in rds 1-4.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Keith Law is projecting the Astros to go with Colin Moran at 1 with a sizable under slot deal that would allow the Astros to spend big later in the draft. For a system void of impact talent this would be an effective means of adding a large volume of qlty - in theory. Law's latest mock has Jonathan Gray slipping all the way to 5 for the Tribe. We can only hope and pray that's the case, Gray would be an absolute steal for the Tribe at 5.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:14 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Keith Law is projecting the Astros to go with Colin Moran at 1 with a sizable under slot deal that would allow the Astros to spend big later in the draft. For a system void of impact talent this would be an effective means of adding a large volume of qlty - in theory. Law's latest mock has Jonathan Gray slipping all the way to 5 for the Tribe. We can only hope and pray that's the case, Gray would be an absolute steal for the Tribe at 5.

Big +1 on that. If Gray's there we grab him & move on. That might kinda make up for passing on Gioloto last year. Gray's what Gioloto hopes to be someday. BTW, is Law's mock Insider only? If not maybe a link. If so could you list the top 5?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:-Ivan Watson.. right handed Outfielder, Ruston High School. Masher with ML potential. Swing Speed is phenomenal..
-Cody Thomas.. hard to say what this kid would be best at.. supreme athlete with speed and power...
-Trevor Clifton.. big RHP with lots of projection.. could be a diamond in the rough..
-Carlos Salazar.. RHP from the valley.. has Fresno St Committ, but this is a FOR SP down the road..
-Dominic Smith..lefty athlete..more than a baseball player..
-Max McPhearson.. speed merchant.. the kind that is a game changer.. the next kenny lofton? ..

Anyone of these guys with the 79th pick would be a nice addition to the fold.. imho, of those names listed, Cody Thomas should be the biggest target...comments?

Not a fan of this list, except for D.Smith who will be long gone though as home pointed out....then again, I'm more of a "College guy" to begin with when it comes to the draft. Salazar is a one pitch thrower with big command issues at this point, no thanks. I would be "ok" with McPhearson and Clifton

Personally, I'm hoping for one of the College LHPs to fall to us: Windle, Overton or Emanuel. Also like RHPs Suggs and B.Farmer at 79. One of those at 79 and Frazier at 5 is my best case scenario right now. Top 5 rounds "dream draft" with 2 scenarios:

A:
1-5 OF Frazier
3-79 LHP Overton/Windle/Emanuel
4-111 C S.Turner
5-141 RHP Lively

B:
1-5 RHP Shipley
3-79 OF McPhearson
4-111 LHP Lauer
5-141 OF Palka
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Keith Law is projecting the Astros to go with Colin Moran at 1 with a sizable under slot deal that would allow the Astros to spend big later in the draft. For a system void of impact talent this would be an effective means of adding a large volume of qlty - in theory. Law's latest mock has Jonathan Gray slipping all the way to 5 for the Tribe. We can only hope and pray that's the case, Gray would be an absolute steal for the Tribe at 5.

Big +1 on that. If Gray's there we grab him & move on. That might kinda make up for passing on Gioloto last year. Gray's what Gioloto hopes to be someday. BTW, is Law's mock Insider only? If not maybe a link. If so could you list the top 5?

It is insiders only. I found it mlbtraderumors. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is also saying the Astros are seriously considering going after Moran offering him near $4M bc he's likely landing spot is 5 (their speculation), and then spreading the wealth. As for the top 5 I'm not sure. But here's my guess...
1. Moran
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Stewart
5. Gray
I've read several sites linking Stewart to the Twins so I'd plug him in there now.
My personal mock would be...
1. Gray
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Stewart
5. Frazier
I'd love to see the Tribe snag Gray IF somehow he falls, obviously it seems the Astros could really shake things up at the top. That certainly would help make up for passing on Giolito or even Michael Wacha who makes his big league debut tonight.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:39 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

It is insiders only. I found it mlbtraderumors. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports is also saying the Astros are seriously considering going after Moran offering him near $4M bc he's likely landing spot is 5 (their speculation), and then spreading the wealth. As for the top 5 I'm not sure. But here's my guess...
1. Moran
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Stewart
5. Gray
I've read several sites linking Stewart to the Twins so I'd plug him in there now.
My personal mock would be...
1. Gray
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Stewart
5. Frazier
I'd love to see the Tribe snag Gray IF somehow he falls, obviously it seems the Astros could really shake things up at the top. That certainly would help make up for passing on Giolito or even Michael Wacha who makes his big league debut tonight.

Well, OB told us about Gray & was on Wacha early last year; think maybe he knows what he's talking about?
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Absolutely, there's a cpl ppl on here I take it at their word. He's one of them. I agree with him 90+% of the time.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BuddyLee » Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm

I admit to being a casual MLB draft observer. I just don’t have time to follow the college game as I would like to. I try to do a lot of catchup by reading this thread about a month or two prior to the draft, so you guys are a huge help in that regard.

Reading many of the posts I obviously sense a lot of hate around here for a possible Colin Moran pick. So what is the disconnect between what the national experts and scouts are seeing, versus what this board wants? I understand that fans don’t like the perceived “safe” pick, and generally want high upside projectability with first rounders (I tend to lean that direction also). But most of the scouting reports love his advanced offensive skills and consensus rankings have him in the top 5-10 of this draft. I guess we are just starved for a homegrown superstar and probably won't get that with Moran, but I'm not sure we can automatically stereotype the pick and say he's going to be the next Beau Mills, Crowe, or Naquin (who could still be very good). Is there a specific reason why Moran's hitting approach and skills won't translate at the next level?
BuddyLee
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 7:40 pm

BuddyLee wrote:I admit to being a casual MLB draft observer. I just don’t have time to follow the college game as I would like to. I try to do a lot of catchup by reading this thread about a month or two prior to the draft, so you guys are a huge help in that regard.

Reading many of the posts I obviously sense a lot of hate around here for a possible Colin Moran pick. So what is the disconnect between what the national experts and scouts are seeing, versus what this board wants? I understand that fans don’t like the perceived “safe” pick, and generally want high upside projectability with first rounders (I tend to lean that direction also). But most of the scouting reports love his advanced offensive skills and consensus rankings have him in the top 5-10 of this draft. I guess we are just starved for a homegrown superstar and probably won't get that with Moran, but I'm not sure we can automatically stereotype the pick and say he's going to be the next Beau Mills, Crowe, or Naquin (who could still be very good). Is there a specific reason why Moran's hitting approach and skills won't translate at the next level?

Yes, Moran is a bit of a safe pick. He's a guy I'd project at... .285 BA 15 hrs 25 dbls. He's also likely to move over to 1st, I don't think he has the athleticism to play 3rd. The real dig on Moran is the fact that he's not the type player you build around. At 5 you want a FOR arm or AS caliber position player. It just seems some of the upside that others (Frazier, Meadows, Ball, Stewart) offer would warrant the pick at 5. Keep in mind however, there's really 3 stud guys (Bryant, Gray, Appel) and a few guys on the fringe of that. Finally, Brad Grant does not have the track record of drafting corner players - the focus is middle of the diamond. In theory anyone who plays inside could be moved outside, last yr was the first in which Grant & co. seemed to target a corner (power) bat with the McAdams (8th) & N. Rodriguez (15th) rd picks.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 pm

BuddyLee wrote:I admit to being a casual MLB draft observer. I just don’t have time to follow the college game as I would like to. I try to do a lot of catchup by reading this thread about a month or two prior to the draft, so you guys are a huge help in that regard.

I've personally seen him play 4 games now & have yet to see him hit a line drive, let alone a double or a HR. I'd be willing to bet that most of his 9(!) doubles have been pulled down the RF line. He's awkward in the field & is a slow runner. His bat is quick enough & he makes good contact but his swing doesn't have much lift, he's just not strong & his body type doesn't promise much in the way of development. Kind of a "what you see is what you get" situation. I've read a Hunter Pence comp but he'll never be that strong. Just my opinion, could be wrong, but I've heard from a few scouts that agree. To be fair, most disagree with me. What it boils down to is what Homer related, that you want more from a #5 pick.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 pm

I personally would be surprised if Moran went #1. I understand the logic of it, but I'm still not sold on that rumor. IF it panned out that way, I'd be ecstatic. I'm a huge Gray fan.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm

A.Zajac wrote:I personally would be surprised if Moran went #1. I understand the logic of it, but I'm still not sold on that rumor. IF it panned out that way, I'd be ecstatic. I'm a huge Gray fan.

Completely agree, I'm not sold. I think they are probably mulling it over but I'd guess they draft and sign Gray to an underslot deal. These rumors could be in place to leverage a better deal for the Astros.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Thu May 30, 2013 11:31 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:I personally would be surprised if Moran went #1. I understand the logic of it, but I'm still not sold on that rumor. IF it panned out that way, I'd be ecstatic. I'm a huge Gray fan.

Completely agree, I'm not sold. I think they are probably mulling it over but I'd guess they draft and sign Gray to an underslot deal. These rumors could be in place to leverage a better deal for the Astros.

I agree. My thinking is this... They'll ultimately end up drafting Gray and probably pay him at or almost near slot money. Possibly slightly under, but not by much. I don't believe Appel is in the picture at #1 because of how much Appel will demand. IMO, it's probably down to Gray and Moran..
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 31, 2013 7:55 am

A.Zajac wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:

I agree. My thinking is this... They'll ultimately end up drafting Gray and probably pay him at or almost near slot money. Possibly slightly under, but not by much. I don't believe Appel is in the picture at #1 because of how much Appel will demand. IMO, it's probably down to Gray and Moran..

What might happen, and there has to be some celestial alignment, is that the Stros do take Moran first overall, the Cubs don't waste a moment and grab Jonathan Gray followed by the Padres getting their man in Kris Bryant. The Twins eschew the salary demands of Mark Appel & take Kohl Stewart, leaving the Indians with perhaps the best pitcher in this draft. The Indians don't have the volume of picks (and associated draft pool), but, blowing their wad on this FOR SP.. is the right/bold move. The key to this scenario is the Stros... They have to be stupid enough to pass on a FOR SP of the quality of either Gray or Appel to make this happen...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:

What might happen, and there has to be some celestial alignment, is that the Stros do take Moran first overall, the Cubs don't waste a moment and grab Jonathan Gray followed by the Padres getting their man in Kris Bryant. The Twins eschew the salary demands of Mark Appel & take Kohl Stewart, leaving the Indians with perhaps the best pitcher in this draft. The Indians don't have the volume of picks (and associated draft pool), but, blowing their wad on this FOR SP.. is the right/bold move. The key to this scenario is the Stros... They have to be stupid enough to pass on a FOR SP of the quality of either Gray or Appel to make this happen...

This is what I was thinking. There is no way Gray falls to us, but in this exact scenario, we may have a shot at Appel. He may cost us our entire draft pool though.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby daingean » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

Rocky55 wrote:

I've personally seen him play 4 games now & have yet to see him hit a line drive, let alone a double or a HR. I'd be willing to bet that most of his 9(!) doubles have been pulled down the RF line. He's awkward in the field & is a slow runner. His bat is quick enough & he makes good contact but his swing doesn't have much lift, he's just not strong & his body type doesn't promise much in the way of development. Kind of a "what you see is what you get" situation. I've read a Hunter Pence comp but he'll never be that strong. Just my opinion, could be wrong, but I've heard from a few scouts that agree. To be fair, most disagree with me. What it boils down to is what Homer related, that you want more from a #5 pick.

That to me sounds like Casey Kotchman w/o the glove. For a top 5 pick, you have to get a guy that can either consistently drive in a guy from 1st (run producer) or score from second on a single (run scorer) unless you go with an arm. In fact, with a top 5 guy I'd be wanting both a run producer and a run scorer. With no power and no wheels, Moran is just a Kotchman offensively.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby PEngle39 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 pm

daingean wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:

That to me sounds like Casey Kotchman w/o the glove. For a top 5 pick, you have to get a guy that can either consistently drive in a guy from 1st (run producer) or score from second on a single (run scorer) unless you go with an arm. In fact, with a top 5 guy I'd be wanting both a run producer and a run scorer. With no power and no wheels, Moran is just a Kotchman offensively.

Moran just set the ACC record for RBI's in a season, so by your account, he should be perfect.

I don't really know where this no power thing has come from. He's hit 25 HR's in his three years at UNC in addition to another 45 XBH's....all while having a batting average of .352 and drawing 97 walks. Those numbers aren't bad and gone are the days where 3B's are disguised 1B's.

I get that he's not the pure power bat of a Clint Frazier or possess the sexy upside of Austin Meadows but those guys are incredibly risky. How is Frazier going to handle breaking pitches when he already struggles with them? Will Meadows bat ever come around? Moran has a long track record of success in a VERY good baseball conference and some time with an MLB development staff will get his footwork to where it needs to be to make him a surefire 3B.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm

All right, now I've seen everything. Colin Moran just popped out to short right field. It was an out but hey, it was in the air!
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Rocky55 wrote:All right, now I've seen everything. Colin Moran just popped out to short right field. It was an out but hey, it was in the air!

I sense sarcasm...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:11 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:All right, now I've seen everything. Colin Moran just popped out to short right field. It was an out but hey, it was in the air!

I sense sarcasm...

Not real subtle.

Just as an academic exercise, comp these two guys via stats & decide which is more worthy of the #5 pick:

http://goheels.com/fls/3350/13ncaabsb/teamcume.htm

http://www.gobulldogs.com/sports/m-base ... mcume.html

You have to give proofs & show your work. Almost all kidding aside, is there anything in their relative perfomances at their current level to favor Moran over Judge? Also keep in mind defensive value as Judge is considered to be a strong candidate to be a plus defender in RF at the ML level.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

I sense sarcasm...

Not real subtle.

Just as an academic exercise, comp these two guys via stats & decide which is more worthy of the #5 pick:

You have to give proofs & show your work. Almost all kidding aside, is there anything in their relative perfomances at their current level to favor Moran over Judge? Also keep in mind defensive value as Judge is considered to be a strong candidate to be a plus defender in RF at the ML level.

Those guys named Skye Bolt and Cody Stubbs look like interesting prospects... :biggrin

Just kidding...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

I sense sarcasm...

Not real subtle.

Those guys named Skye Bolt and Cody Stubbs look like interesting prospects... :biggrin

Just kidding...

Stubbs should be a target. Although he's 22, he can drive the ball, he's a smart player & he's a great fielding 1B. Should be cheap. High floor.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

He is a guy I actually like. I think he could develop into a major league bench guy / pinch hitter. I also think could advance reasonably. IMHO he'd be worth a pick round 9/10 as an under slot signing.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 am

Man, am I hoping Moran gets drafted in the top 4. It's not that I think he'd be a horrible pick, but I'd much rather have Shipley, Stewart, Meadows or Frazier. Particularly Shipley, as he's been somewhat of a surprise and I don't think he's that far behind the top two arms in the draft. My money is on the Indians taking Moran though.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

JP_Frost wrote:Man, am I hoping Moran gets drafted in the top 4. It's not that I think he'd be a horrible pick, but I'd much rather have Shipley, Stewart, Meadows or Frazier. Particularly Shipley, as he's been somewhat of a surprise and I don't think he's that far behind the top two arms in the draft. My money is on the Indians taking Moran though.

I hope you are wrong!

Moran would be a decent pick outside the top 10-15 picks in a normal yr. it's not that he won't be a ML but Id prefer the upside of Frazier, Meadows, Stewart and Ball over Moran. As for Shipley I have heard comps to Kyle Zimmer last yr. another converted position player that had a power FB from the left coast. I'd be happy with that pick and I think they could get him under slot ($3M - $3.25M). In fact I think I'd rather see DJ Peterson over Moran, I just think he will have a better offensive career than Moran. But hey if the Tribe does go Moran I'll cheer him on anyway.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Here's a crazy thought: How about drafting Hunter Renfroe for a below slot deal? I don't think he's far behind Moran, if at all and it would give us flexibility to go for high end talent to make up for the loss of draft picks.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Question:

Can anyone identify some hard to sign talents the Tribe might try to grab later this week?

I will go with Alec Hansen - 6'6 205lb RHSP from Colorado, he's a Oklahoma commit with a mid-90 FB. Both of his parents hold masters degrees - so they value education. He's recently suffered from a forearm strain which may drop his stock even further and push him toward college, but he could be a diamond in the rough, IMHO.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Here's a crazy thought: How about drafting Hunter Renfroe for a below slot deal? I don't think he's far behind Moran, if at all and it would give us flexibility to go for high end talent to make up for the loss of draft picks.

I often over look Renfroe but he does have some attractive tools, add him to the list of guys I'd prefer over Moran. And I think Renfroe might move just as qkly as Moran and produce more offensively.

I think we have to remember the Tribe focuses on center of the diamond players, I think that wont change much.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Renfroe has more value defensively than Moran. Moran projects to be an average at best 3rd baseman with the likelihood of moving to first. Renfroe could very well start out his career in CF and eventually move to right with a cannon for an arm.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 pm

JP_Frost wrote:Renfroe has more value defensively than Moran. Moran projects to be an average at best 3rd baseman with the likelihood of moving to first. Renfroe could very well start out his career in CF and eventually move to right with a cannon for an arm.

I think Renfroe ultimately ends up as a RF and Moran 1b.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Does anyone else think that the Indians are being very tight lipped about their pick, just like the browns were in the draft? Lots of Mock drafts are kind of all over the place with the tribe. I'm just starting to feel that there is really no substance to this Moran talk, and many analysts are just mocking him to us because they feel like it makes sense.

I remember asking Keith Law a couple questions in his chat 2 years ago the night of the draft about the Indians pick, and he gave the predictable "they will probably take Barnes or Jed Bradley. Need starting pitching and known to draft college players." Obviously we went BPA and took Lindor.

If I had to make a Monday bet, I would put my money on either Shipley or Ball. We need the pitching, people seem to really like Shipley, and we have already been linked to Ball. These seem to not only make sense considering our needs, but when reading all these scouting reports and considering the downsides and upsides of the guys projected between 5-12, Ball and Shipley could logically be considered the 5th and 6th best prospects in the draft.

I just don't want Moran.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:05 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Question:

Can anyone identify some hard to sign talents the Tribe might try to grab later this week?

I will go with Alec Hansen - 6'6 205lb RHSP from Colorado, he's a Oklahoma commit with a mid-90 FB. Both of his parents hold masters degrees - so they value education. He's recently suffered from a forearm strain which may drop his stock even further and push him toward college, but he could be a diamond in the rough, IMHO.

Joey Martarano, he of the thunderous bat & full football ride to Boise State. Minus the scholly he's the the 2nd most draftable HS bat behind Frazier.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:14 pm

BrianM wrote:Does anyone else think that the Indians are being very tight lipped about their pick, just like the browns were in the draft? Lots of Mock drafts are kind of all over the place with the tribe. I'm just starting to feel that there is really no substance to this Moran talk, and many analysts are just mocking him to us because they feel like it makes sense.

I remember asking Keith Law a couple questions in his chat 2 years ago the night of the draft about the Indians pick, and he gave the predictable "they will probably take Barnes or Jed Bradley. Need starting pitching and known to draft college players." Obviously we went BPA and took Lindor.

If I had to make a Monday bet, I would put my money on either Shipley or Ball. We need the pitching, people seem to really like Shipley, and we have already been linked to Ball. These seem to not only make sense considering our needs, but when reading all these scouting reports and considering the downsides and upsides of the guys projected between 5-12, Ball and Shipley could logically be considered the 5th and 6th best prospects in the draft.

I just don't want Moran.

You're absolutely right. The way I see it, these national columnists know baseball. NOT indians baseball, there is a difference. Last yr the national pundits had the Tribe taking Stratton, Heaney and Wacha...how'd that turn out?

I really like Shipley I see him as a 2 with potential to become a Clay Bucholtz type. I think he falls safely into being a 2 with some upside as a 1, but not a true ACE. That said, I think he's a guy that probably signs near $3 -$3.25 M which can affect his value to the Tribe. Shipley seems like a fairly safe pick. Others though, like Frazier, Meadows, Stewart and Ball have upside to dream on.

I really don't see the Moran mocks, it is just not Grant's & Co. drafting style. The Indians focus primarily on middle of the diamond prospects (P, C, SS, CF). These are premium positions and if a player has difficulty they can always transition to a corner spot. It just doesn't make sense to draft a guy at a corner spot that doesn't have high caliber tools that make the player exceptional. Moran will hit for average, but lacks the power potential and athleticism to remain at 3b he's just not it. He is not a cornerstone player that you'd like to get at 5 in the draft, which leads me to believe they'll go with either Shipley or one of the HS players that offer significant upside in comparison to Colin Moran.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Rocky55 wrote:

Joey Martarano, he of the thunderous bat & full football ride to Boise State. Minus the scholly he's the the 2nd most draftable HS bat behind Frazier.

Big built kid too, if I recall right. I think he's got NFL size already. Wonder if its possible he plays both sports.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:52 pm

This might come as a surprise.. but here's a couple / three new names (in addition to Ivan Wilson, Cody Thomas, Carlos Salazar Dominic Smith, Trevor Clifton and Max McPhearson mentioned in an earlier posting) not in any particular order...

-Jordan Sheffield, RHP, Tullahoma High School Tennessee; big kid with easy mid 90's heat and hammer curve.. has two other secondaries and is just beginning to grow into his 6'3" frame...

-A.J. Puk is a LHP first and a slugging 1B next. He hails from some podunk town in Iowa and could be the mirror image of Trey Ball.. 6'6" ball players with a low 90's fastball and curve that could gain some ticks as he matures seem to be growing on the trees, lately...

-Chris Oakley is a RHP that pitched for St. Augustine HS in New Jersey..he's a monster.. He tips the scales at over 240 pounds and looks down on almost everyone as he's over 6'7" tall.. He has a mid 90's FB that has late life and two other secondaries that could develop into very good pitches. He's the proverbial diamond in the rough..

How about these guys?....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm

BrianM wrote:Does anyone else think that the Indians are being very tight lipped about their pick, just like the browns were in the draft? Lots of Mock drafts are kind of all over the place with the tribe. I'm just starting to feel that there is really no substance to this Moran talk, and many analysts are just mocking him to us because they feel like it makes sense.

I just don't want Moran.

Fully agree with this. It is based on the Indians preferring college players over toosly HS'ers, which may be true, but the Tribe has shown a willingness to be creative and make riskier picks. Nobody saw Chisenhall, Lindor and Naquin coming.

Fact is, the Indians are always very tight lipped about these things and the draft pundit simply do noy have a clue, which is fine. That said, Moran is certainly a very strong canidate to be drafted by Grant next thursday.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:39 pm

The Trey Ball talk is kind of interesting. He's the kind of pitching prospect that I really like (very athletic, loose, good pitching proportions, very good arm speed). I only saw him last summer and he looked a little rough and was only 89-90mph consistently. He's the classic projectable teenage pitching prospect, though. His body frame is a little narrow and he may fill out to look like Cole Hamels at maturity, but he'll throw harder.

I have not seen him in 2013, but based on what I saw last summer, taking him at 5th overall would normally be a bit of a reach. He seemed to be a guy that'd be a very nice selection from 10-15, but I'm not sure he stacks up as a present-day prospect with other HS pitching prospects taken so high in recent years. I think he's a little thin to profile well as a corner OF'er, but given that he's relatively raw as a pitcher (in my opinion), his ability to hit and run gives whatever team that drafts him a natural put option. He might be a 3rd or 4th rounder as just a position player.

I think Kohl Stewart is a notch better than Trey Ball. Stewart still needs some delivery enhancements, but he's a good athlete with very good arm speed. I feel the 5th overall selection on Stewart would be better justified than on Ball, but I still like Ball.

I don't think the college prospects are that appealing outside of Gray and Appel, maybe Bryant, too. I do think that Colin Moran is the most likely selection, unfortunately. I think the Indians will have a choice of either Frazier or Stewart at 5th overall, which I'd be disappointed if they went with Moran under such a circumstance.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm

@ OB

How do you think the top four will play out?

I agree, I think Stewart is a better prospect than Ball. Ball however, offers the intrigue of developing into a FOR LHSP if he fills out and develops like I think he could... 6'6 200+lbs and 94-95 FB. Stewart has some mechanical concerns but I think he could develop & clean up rather qkly bc of his athleticism, but I think he has FOR potential too.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:58 pm

How will the reports of Gray's positive results for Adderall affect his draft status?

I'm not sure it does to be honest, there are few big arms like his and some rumors say it may cause his price to drop, which would seemingly make him more appealing to the Astros.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Jonathan Gray reportedly tested positive for Aderall, which is illegal without subscription under MLB's drug rules. He will not face a penalty, but it hurts his leverage and teams may shy away from him now. Or the Astro's see an oppurtunity to save some money and still get one of the best players in the draft.

Interesting though.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm prescribed Adderall and have taken it everyday for a long while now. These are my comments...

I teach and play tennis. In a lot of situations, I believe it makes me perform a little better. My processing speed is quicker, and the drug expands your lungs and allows you to recover quicker. On the downside, it speeds up my heart rate and makes me sweat way more than usual. The increased heart rate and the sensitivity to heat tends to balance everything out, with the drug probably giving me a small advantage most of the time.

Honestly, I can not think of a group of professional athletes that could utilize the performance enhancing aspects of adderall better than major league baseball players. Hitters increase their processing speed allowing them to read pitches faster and make decisions quicker. Im sure pitchers can utilize the increased processing speed as well, but more importantly the expanded lung capacity and general "high" feeling that a user gets can allow a pitcher to stay focused for longer periods of time and gives the player a sense of being mentally "free" on the mound. I imagine their deliveries are much more easily repeated and they are able to perform in pressure situations a little better. If you have a free arm I imagine fastballs zip a little quicker and breaking balls are a little sharper. If a pitcher all of a sudden looks like Cliff Lee or Mark Beuhrle in his prime on the mound every night (Pin Point control and working very quickly), I would suspect them of a drug similar to adderall.

The stimulant effect is also worth noting. Anytime someone gets a sudden boost of energy they are capable of pushing themselves to a point they normally are not capable of. Once again, Fastballs can fly a little faster, and long balls can travel a little further. This aspect is also dangerous considering the physical harm that can be done to ones body by "over-doing" it.

As far as Gray and his draft stock are concerned, its hard to tell. I certainly think teams will investigate the situation, but they won't be able to know how much impact, if any, it had on his athletic performance. I'm sure he'll just come out and say "I was using it to study," which may be true. College kids take this stuff all the time when they have finals or an overload of work to do. I don't think his stock will fall, but considering things are so tight in those top 4 picks already, maybe it will. It will just be interesting to see if he loses some mph and command in the next couple years.

I hope this makes sense. If anyone has any questions go ahead and ask.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Tondo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Shipley > Stewart and Ball

I just don't get it. Both Stewart and Ball are 2/2.5 years younger than Shipley. I'm all about odds and odds are that those 2 have something like a 10% shot at best to be as good or even better than Shipley 2 years from now and a much higher % of being much worse due to lack of development and or injuries (Stewart already has had shoulder injuries and is a Type 1 diabetic, not so good for a Teenie Pitcher)

In this case and comparison, I don't even see where Ball and Stewart have a higher ceiling than Shipley. Ball is incredibly raw and not much of a pitcher at this point. He has the lowest floor imho. Stewart has "potential" for 3 plus pitches (he'll be lucky if he has developed 2 in two years from now, then he's Shipley). Shipley does already have 2 "ready" pitches

"Dreaming big" on potential is a low odds phenomenon I will never understand. It's like thinking the lottery is a better bet than black/red in roulette. It's outsmarting.
You have to consider the floor too, especially with a top 10 pick. With the Indians history of "development" of HS "potential", I'll happily take a boring College-spec MOR at 5 overall. Every team needs to have 7-8 MLB ready SP if they want to contend and please remind me again who was the last starter we developed from the draft? Was it Tomlin? Yeah, I'll gladly "settle" for a "safe" MOR/BOR floor instead of Aviles/Haley/Cole Cook/D.Howard-like floor. And "uspide" or "ceiling" is a place holder for "who knows really" or "maybe". With every passing month of "development" even the best HS pitchers "trade" and lose some of their ceiling while "developing", go ask Aviles or Dillon Howard. It's a puristical point of view to "dream big". Reality has a floor too and it's called not having depth or adequate MLB players coming through the system.

The Indians got some good returns on some trades (Santana, Masterson, McAllister, ACab) and that's the only reason they aren't the Marlins today. The drafting and developing of prospects has been close to a catastrophy. Don't outsmart yourself and just take mostly good College production that can be had with pretty much every pick in the draft. Gamble on some CC or HS guys later with the budget saved.

Here's my all-College dream mock draft:

1-5 RHP Shipley, Nevada
3-79 LHP Overton, Oklahoma or LHP Emanuel, UNC
4-111 RHP Farmer, Georgia Tech or C S.Turner, Ole Miss
5-141 OF Palka, Georgia Tech or RHP Lively
6-171 LHP M.Boyd, Oregon St. or RHP McGowin, Savannah St.
7-201 C Garver, New Mexico or 1B T.Mancini, LSU or 1B/OF Katz, LSU
8-231 LHP Wetzler, Oregon St. or 2B LJ Mazzilli
9-261 2B/OF T.Kemp, Vandy or OF Marincov, North Florida
10-291 1B/LHP J.Patterson, S.Bama or RHP L.Farell, Northwestern or RHP J.Simms, Rice or RHP A.Pierce, So.Miss. or RHP E.Mildren, Pittsburgh

Rounds 11-15 pool (could also go in rounds 6-10, many Seniors) :

2B J.Field, Arizona
OF/1B C.Gregor, Vandy
RHP Magliozzi, Florida
SS Reynolds, Tex A&M
RHP T.Frank, UC Riverside
1B J.Yezzo, Delaware
OF T.Horan, VirgTech
RHP G.Gordon, Missouri St.
LHP Schoenrock, Memphis
OF Justin Parr, Illinois
RHP K.Westwood, North Florida
LHP Seidenberger, TCU
LHP R.Fant, Arkansas
RHP Z.Godley, Tennessee
1B LB Dantzler, South Carolina
RHP J.Prosinski, Seton Hall
LHP J.Reed, Maryland
C McGee, FSU
SS M.Benjamin, Arizona St.
LHP N.Belcher, South Carolina
LHP Olson, Gonzaga
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Tondo,

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I don't think you trade potential for safety at 5, unless it seems its a fair tradeoff. If let's say for instance the Tribe feels that Frazier or Stewart would be a better pick than Shipley they need to make the pick. I think you make valid points RE: Stewart. However, if the Tribe feels they can develop him into a FOR arm he could be the choice. Personally, I think he has a legit chance to develop, but a lot depends upon the system he's drafted into.

I agree Ball is a longer term 'project' but is a legit LHSP with FOR potential IMHO. The length of development for Ball could be a bit longer than you'd like but could be rewarding in the end. As you pointed out a high ceiling / low floor pick.

My personal best guess is the Tribe makes the pick between Shipley, Frazier and Meadows. The Tribe has relatively no recent history of drafting and developing HS arms in the 1st rd. Id be willing to say right now if Shipley is there he's the guy, but if he's gone I think it's Frazier than Meadows (in that order). If something crazy goes down at the top than who knows maybe Gray falls into the lap of the Tribe, but it's any one's guess right now.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 am

Aaron Blair the RHSP from Marshall has also reportedly tested positive for Adderall. Blair is projected to be drafted somewhere between the top 25-100 picks. He's generally regarded as a top 50 talent.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 am

Here's a few scouting reports for some of the top prospects in this weeks MLB draft from minorleagueball.com....

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/6/3/43 ... mark-appel
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk