RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 MLB Draft

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2013 MLB Draft

Postby OhioBaseball » Wed May 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Regarding BA's Top 100 list;

If you're a team that likes upside college pitching prospects at good value, two guys that stand out to me are #49 Andrew Mitchell (TCU) and #74 Tyler Skulina (Kent State).

Andrew Mitchell isn't a big RHP with physical projection, but he's got stuff that would play very well in the upper minors/MLB. His fastball gets very good downward plane and tail and his curveball is a true hammer curve that he consistently spins very well. He's had issues with command in the past and he's really no better this year than he was last year, but I really love Mitchell's value in the 2nd round if that's where he truly goes. This is of no interest to the Indians b/c they don't pick there, but his curveball is plus MLB level right now and his fastball is very nice. He also can throw a good change, but needs to speed up his arm for it to be more effective. I thought he'd go in the mid first round back in September, but he started the season off as TCU's closer and has since gotten some time as a starter and his performance hasn't been that great this year. I'd gladly take him in the second round of any draft -- very good value when you consider he's a college SP (they tend to be overvalued in drafts over the last decade).

Tyler Skulina is a potential 3rd round option for the Indians. He's had his rough patches this year, which have pushed him from the first supplemental round to the 3rd round. He's raw, but very big with athleticism and his arm works very, very well. Another college SP that has front of the rotation upside.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Here's a top 100 from Bleacher Report, it includes several internal top 25 / 50 pitching and positional rankings too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1638 ... teamstream
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Seems like Colin Moran has really climbed the draft rankings over the last few weeks. Probably wouldn't be considered a reach should the Indians nab him at #5. Looks like he has exceptional secondary skills and love that his power is starting to show in games. The Indians are probably drooling over his ability to draw a walk and not strikeout. It's also worth noting that he's very young for his class-- he's the age of most college sophomores.

With that said, I really think Kris Bryant might be available for the Indians--maybe I've just talked myself into believing that. However, the Rockies have ZERO pitching depth in the minors; they make the Indians look chalk-full of future Cy Young winners. The Twins haven't really been connected to Bryant; they already have a few infield prospects not expected to stick.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Less than 3 weeks away from the MLB draft. There is seemingly no lock for the 5th pick but there should be several solid prospects left, assuming one of the top three talents (Appel, Gray, Bryant) doesn't slide to 5. After watching Appel slide last yr it seems possible someone could again in similar fashion.

Here's a few names I think could get consideration for the 5th pick ...OR... have been linked to the Tribe in various mock drafts.

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Less than 3 weeks away from the MLB draft. There is seemingly no lock for the 5th pick but there should be several solid prospects left, assuming one of the top three talents (Appel, Gray, Bryant) doesn't slide to 5. After watching Appel slide last yr it seems possible someone could again in similar fashion.

Here's a few names I think could get consideration for the 5th pick ...OR... have been linked to the Tribe in various mock drafts.

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran

Law's mock came out today.

He said the Indians are down to Moran and Bryant with Frazier as the backup should both be gone
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

PEngle39 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Less than 3 weeks away from the MLB draft. There is seemingly no lock for the 5th pick but there should be several solid prospects left, assuming one of the top three talents (Appel, Gray, Bryant) doesn't slide to 5. After watching Appel slide last yr it seems possible someone could again in similar fashion.

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran

He said the Indians are down to Moran and Bryant with Frazier as the backup should both be gone

So the smart money will be wagering on it not being Moran or Bryant....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran

The smart money is looking more middle of the diamond.....first/second round picks in Grant's tenure have all been middle of the diamond guys.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby PEngle39 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:30 pm

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran

The smart money is looking more middle of the diamond.....first/second round picks in Grant's tenure have all been middle of the diamond guys.

Not necessarily. I mean, he took SS Chiz and moved him to 3B and took RF Naquin and moved him to CF. It's probably more coincidence than anything.

It would be a pretty shortsighted approach if you pass on a player because he doesn't play in the middle of the diamond. I get the thought process but if one isn't available, you shouldn't try to manufacture one. I don't really see one readily available this year.....
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Rocky55 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

daingean wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

Clint Frazier
Austin Meadows
Reese McGuire
Kohl Stewart
Sean Manaea
Ryne Stanek
Braden Shipley
DJ Peterson
Colin Moran

I'd guess pitching if they like one that's there. Stewart has/had a shoulder issue from football so there's a red flag. We guess that if Bauer or Bradley had been available we might not have Lindor, so the draft history might have been influenced by who was left on their list. Middle of the diamond could include Frazier or Denney although Denney is not impressing this Spring, by some accounts. Maybe Shipley or Anderson with Bickford or Kaminsky as dark horses, but it's just guesswork. I really have no idea but I'm hoping for Frazier or Bryant.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Anyone seen Austin Meadows in person? He's had a lot of hype surrounding him going into this season, and has essentially maintained his status. Just curious what the impression is with him.

As for Bradley, I think the Tribe would have went Bradley had he been there based on what I heard. That said the Tribe has not drafted a HS arm in the 1st round in recent yrs.

Personally, I'd love to see Gray or Bryant fall to the Tribe but I don't see it. Honestly, I tend think they may go with the best college arm available...which would seemingly be Braden Shipley. I think he has 2 ceiling but could take a bit more time than a guy like Ryne Stanek who has a similar ceiling IMHO. As for Kohl Stewart I like him, but I think he could be gone at 3 or 4. That said he does offer big potential but a big risk too. I'm not sure the Tribe could afford to miss big on a guy that high and Shipley and Stanek seem to be safer options ($$$ & talent). Reese McGuire is a guy I think could slip on to the Tribes radar he's an advanced HS good bat and arm too with potential to develop quickly.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 am

If anything, Meadows has gotten bigger, stronger and faster this season.. His set up, load and swing have also changed some as he's more in balanced, hitting more against his right leg while generating a bit more loft in his swing. The swing speed is still elite allowing him to have a wee bit longer swing. As the competition he faces improves, that could be the wrong direction for contact rate, but the right direction for power production.. we'll see..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Anyone seen Austin Meadows in person? He's had a lot of hype surrounding him going into this season, and has essentially maintained his status. Just curious what the impression is with him.

As for Bradley, I think the Tribe would have went Bradley had he been there based on what I heard. That said the Tribe has not drafted a HS arm in the 1st round in recent yrs.

Personally, I'd love to see Gray or Bryant fall to the Tribe but I don't see it. Honestly, I tend think they may go with the best college arm available...which would seemingly be Braden Shipley. I think he has 2 ceiling but could take a bit more time than a guy like Ryne Stanek who has a similar ceiling IMHO. As for Kohl Stewart I like him, but I think he could be gone at 3 or 4. That said he does offer big potential but a big risk too. I'm not sure the Tribe could afford to miss big on a guy that high and Shipley and Stanek seem to be safer options ($$$ & talent). Reese McGuire is a guy I think could slip on to the Tribes radar he's an advanced HS good bat and arm too with potential to develop quickly.

I got good looks at him last summer, but haven't seen him this spring. I got good looks at him, Frazier, D Smith, Justin Williams and a few others at the HR derby at Wrigley Field in the UA game. Meadows gets high praise b/c he's got a big, strong athletic body (close to MLB level) and he runs deceivingly well. I saw him run and he never looked like a pure burner, but he's a natural athlete type and makes it look easy. I think Meadows has a very attractive raw power/speed combination and I think (unlike Frazier) he still has room for some physical maturation to get even stronger in the future, but not a ton of space.

While he's strong and fast, I believe his swing is line-drive oriented and I don't really see much of a HR hitter today or in the future unless his swing is changed. In the HR derby, other guys get more loft and the backspin you see on HR balls, but Meadows doesn't get that b/c of his swing track. That's all fine, and I think his swing is fine as it is (I wouldn't try to change it), but he's going to be more of a Doubles hitter than a HR hitter. I think his swing is good and I can see him hitting for a nice average -- potentially the kind of guy that hits .290-.300 with 40 2B, 8 3B and 15 HR's. Only seeing him in a two games and in a HR derby, I don't know much about his discipline at the plate, but his swing is fine and I don't see a big strike out guy here. I question his ability to be a much of a HR guy in the majors -- he can get some loft in his swing but it's definitely got a line-drive bias.

As far as a defensive position, I think he can potentially handle CF b/c he's a good athlete but I don't like his throwing arm and I think it's a notch below MLB average (but it could play at CF). Given that, it's possible he settles in as a LF'er depending on who is in front of him so you've potentially got a guy who's raw speed and power aren't ever utilized b/c his throwing arm may limit his defensive (not that it's bad, but it's certainly not an asset for him) and his swing is line drive-oriented so you may never see big power.

All that being said, he's certainly a top 10 overall kind of talent. I'm probably not as bullish on him as others b/c I fear he's the type may never make full use of his raw power/speed at the MLB level, but I still like him. Just my two cents. I'd prefer him over Colin Moran any day of the week.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 17, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks, for the feed back RE: Meadows. My knowledge is limited to what I've seen (video) and read in numerous places and I've based my opinion entirely on that. No personal sight with him, which changes things a bit. I think you get a better feel for players with personal sight. Just curious if he would be worth the 5th pick. I know there was some talk of him possibly going 1 overall prior to this season. I think it says a lot about his ability - that his name is mentioned in the top 10 still.

A recent mock I read had him going to the Tribe because of his upside, athleticism and center of the diamond capability CF. Based solely on what I know of him, I had him projected for... .285 BA 10-15 hrs 30-35 dbls 20 sb. Good to see my somewhat educated guess was close to another opinion. That's starter material for sure, not star qlty like you would like from a 5th overall draft pick.

That said, outside of 4/5 others I'm not seeing that in this draft unless the Tribe gambles with that pick. I have my reservations about doing that at this point. I think they have to get the BPA and not gamble. But when you have about 10 guys with near or similar grades at that pick, it seemingly sets up a scenario like last yr (unless someone slips to them).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 am

Here's a break down of how the Tribe has drafted (rds 1-4) in recent yrs from minorleagueball.com...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/1 ... eam-drafts
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri May 17, 2013 1:07 pm

My Top 4 for our 1st pick:

1. Gray
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Frazier

Really want one of those guys at 5, as I can't make up my mind who's 5th on my board. You can make a case for all of Stewart, Moran, Shipley and Stanek, but I think there's a drop off from those 4

For pick 79 there are several College arms I like, would like a LHP like Windle, Ziomek or Overton to drop

Also like Kubitza and absolutely want Buck Farmer...I would even draft him at 79, save money. I think he's this year's version of Stripling.

I also want Kyle McGowin from Savannah State, great name :biggrin
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Agreed there is a drop off in talent outside of those four maybe Kohl Stewart too. After those four there are about 10 +\- guys I think who grade very closely.

Anyone have a heads up on some college seniors and junior college guys?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Here's a top 400 prospects list for the MLB draft per minorleagueball.com...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/1 ... raft-board
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Fri May 17, 2013 5:15 pm

My fav College SRs are P Farmer-GT, C Garver-NewMex, 2B Mazzilli-UConn and 1B/OF Katz-LSU

My fav late round SR is Chance Cleveland from Ark LR :lol ...I mean, common, just draft him in the 30th round or earlier, he may be gone by then as he had 2 pretty good seasons in the Sun Belt Conf

LHP Randall Fant from Arkansas is another SR and we actually drafted him in the later rounds last draft

Matt Boyd from Oregon State is another 6th to 10th round SR guy
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Best Seniors I've seen this yr are both from South Carolina:

L.B. Dantzler, a short (5'11") 1B who is nevertheless a really good fielder who has a 1.061 OPS & 27 XBH's in 179 AB. He's also just turned 22 so he's not old for a Senior.

Nolan Belcher, a really short (5'8") LHP. I don't know how he does it but he has a 2.17 ERA in 99 IP with 88 hits, 13 BB, & 83 K's. He might have touched 90 once in his life but I wouldn't bet on it. He can locate. He's old (24) & had TJ surgery in '11. As a really late round pick he probably wouldn't cost anything & might be useful.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat May 18, 2013 1:39 pm

PEngle39 wrote:Seems like Colin Moran has really climbed the draft rankings over the last few weeks. Probably wouldn't be considered a reach should the Indians nab him at #5. Looks like he has exceptional secondary skills and love that his power is starting to show in games. The Indians are probably drooling over his ability to draw a walk and not strikeout. It's also worth noting that he's very young for his class-- he's the age of most college sophomores.

I didn't know he was a year younger -- good info and thanks for that. I still really question him at #5. I've been surprised at his HR total this year. I have to admit, I wonder how much of a fluke his HR totals are this year. If you just watch the guy take cuts, it's really not impressive and I don't see a power threat. His doubles total this year is quite low, particularly in comparison to his HR's. Guys can have hot streaks, good seasons, etc. and it's only 200 AB's for Moran so I don't think we can definitively say he's got power now. I will say the age thing is interesting, but i just don't think he's that good of a player. I love Matt Carpenter, but that's what I see Colin Moran being which is a low-upside, "professional hitter" type.

Now, I realize that just the way a guy looks taking BP can be misleading. There's a lot of guys that look awesome in BP but suck in games, and Colin Moran is the antithesis of that, but I'd really like to see more upside with the 5th overall pick. Sorry to be so redundant on Moran.

I'll say that I think Moran's teammate (who's back playing again) Skye Bolt is going to be a materially more valuable MLB player than Colin Moran will ever be. I'd put a lot of money on that.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 pm

I agree, I'm not a huge Moran fan. I could stomach the pick but I would really want more from the fifth pick than what he seems to offer. While I like Matt Carpenter to get that type of player at five is disappointing. Honestly, unless one of the big three (Gray, Appel, Bryant) fall, the next tier is fairly similar in talent, IMHO.

Stewart
Shipley
Frazier
Meadows
Stanek
Moran
Manaea
Ball
McGuire
Peterson
D. Smith
Denney

I don't see a big difference in talent I a lot of these guys. I would rate them and maybe a few others as top 15 picks, with potential to go 10 or higher.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sat May 18, 2013 2:34 pm

I don't see any scenario in which Appel, Bryant, or Gray fall to 5. That said, the guy who I want is Meadows. If you look at recent Indians draft trends, it seems to suggest it'll be a player up the middle.

As a side note, Moran doesn't impress me much.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Agreed, I can't see any of Gray, Appel and Bryant being on the board at 5. I really like Kohl Stewart because of the upside (potential # 1 starter) and his athleticism but I can't see the Tribe drafting him - they don't pick HS arms in rd 1. That said I believe Archie Bradley would have been the pick at 7 in 2011, he's got a better frame and power stuff too. It might not matter anyway because I think Stewart could get picked by the Twins at 4. Right now my personal expected pick list comes down to... Frazier, Meadows, Stanek and Shipley. I think Manaea could hit the list if he proves healthy down the stretch.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I don't see his name come up on top prospect lists (off BA's top 100 list), but Kent State's Taylor Williams is a really nice underrated pitching prospect. Teammate Tyler Skulina is going to look more impressive in bullpen sessions, but Williams is legit. He's maybe 5'10" with no projection and right handed, so just by that he's not going to get much love from scouts. The problem with short RHP's is that they have trouble generating leverage b/c they've got short limbs, but I think the action on his pitches is just fine and can really pitch. His fastball is live with very good arm side run and he gets sink on it, too. For a short RHP, he gets adequate downward plane on his slider which is spun quite well. His delivery is just what you want to see and he's able to generate very good velocity from a low-effort delivery. His command of his fastball is very good and I think he could move very quickly in the minors. For someone that's got short proportions, the movement on his FB is very good.

I LOVE this guy in the fourth round if he's there. He flies way under the radar but his stuff is just fine and he's advanced. He'd be a fabulous selection there. He's one of the best kept secrets in this draft.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:50 pm

If Frazier's there you have to take him. What more could you want? The mocks keep pairing us up with Meadows. I honestly prefer Moran because I believe that at the least he'll hit. You see Meadows & keep waiting for him to perform. You look at Frazier & wonder if he'll ever fail to perform. If we draft Meadows I'm afraid we'll be drafting Tim Beckham. The one thing I won't do is let who we pick upset me, whomever it is. I have my favorites (Bryant, Hunter Renfroe, Stuart Turner, Jan Hernandez, Zane Evans, Joey Martarano, Derek Beauprez, et al), and no, I' not suggesting all of these guys at #5, but if it's Meadows I'll just hope he develops.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Here's a link to BA's top 250 prospects...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ ... -top-spot/
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 20, 2013 7:47 am

Rocky55 wrote:If Frazier's there you have to take him. What more could you want? The mocks keep pairing us up with Meadows. I honestly prefer Moran because I believe that at the least he'll hit. You see Meadows & keep waiting for him to perform. You look at Frazier & wonder if he'll ever fail to perform. If we draft Meadows I'm afraid we'll be drafting Tim Beckham. The one thing I won't do is let who we pick upset me, whomever it is. I have my favorites (Bryant, Hunter Renfroe, Stuart Turner, Jan Hernandez, Zane Evans, Joey Martarano, Derek Beauprez, et al), and no, I' not suggesting all of these guys at #5, but if it's Meadows I'll just hope he develops.
And as the draft progresses to the fifth pick..

DOWN GOES FRAZIER !!!

DOWN GOES FRAZIER !!!!!

DOWN GOES FRAZIER !!!!!!!!

's name on the little white sheet of paper that commissioner Bud Selig reads.....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am

I'm mixed on Frazier... I haven't had much time away from my studies so haven't had / made the opportunity to see him. I question whether he hits his ceiling before Meadows. Based on what I know he's a little smaller than you'd like (I'm not concerned). What you see is what you get 6'1 190 red-headed Devil with a blazing bat and corner OF arm. Frazier is 8/9 mths older than fellow GA OF Austin Meadows and possesses a college bat on the HS level.

Anyone bold enough to project what he could be as a ML? I'm not sure I have an accurate feel on him but I'd project...
.285 15-20 hrs 25-30dbls 20sb.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:19 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'm mixed on Frazier... I haven't had much time away from my studies so haven't had / made the opportunity to see him. I question whether he hits his ceiling before Meadows. Based on what I know he's a little smaller than you'd like (I'm not concerned). What you see is what you get 6'1 190 red-headed Devil with a blazing bat and corner OF arm. Frazier is 8/9 mths older than fellow GA OF Austin Meadows and possesses a college bat on the HS level.

Anyone bold enough to project what he could be as a ML? I'm not sure I have an accurate feel on him but I'd project...
.285 15-20 hrs 25-30dbls 20sb.

I don't think it's even debatable that Frazier "hits his ceiling" before Meadows as he's pretty close now. The point is, IMO, that Meadows ceiling is unknown & he may never reach it. The age point is well taken & I've pointed it out before but I think that Frazier was better 9 months ago than Meadows is now. As far as projecting goes, who knows? My initial projection was 35 HR, 20 SB, GG RF. I haven't seen anything that changed that except that I think that he could easily stick in CF & I was a little low on the SB's. A couple or four 30 HR/30 SB seasons wouldn't surprise me.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:32 am

Saw a new name (to me) on PG that might be destined to be drafted by the Tribe:

Andrew Benintendi, Madeira HS Cincinnati. He was the state 2A POY in baseball & basketball as a JR. A 5'10 CF with a line of: .580-11-50 with 29 XBH in 24 games 34 SB/0 CS & 1(!) K. Drives the ball to all fields but may have little guy power limits. Who knows. The kicker is that he's commited to Arkansas & we all know that the Tribe has the Arkansas connection. I think that this looks prophetic:

http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/ ... iginal.jpg
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am

I got to be honest when I see Frazier I think SSChoo type production. He certainly will hit his ceiling before Meadows, but Meadows seemingly has the tools and talent to surpass Frazier if he can pull it altogether.

Love the image linked above.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:12 pm

HS pitching spec that hit 96 in a pre-draft showcase. Fresh arm, former catcher, upside in form of polishing mechanics, mature physically. Read the profile, note the Kimbrel comp.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Play ... ?ID=285603
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I got to be honest when I see Frazier I think SSChoo type production. He certainly will hit his ceiling before Meadows, but Meadows seemingly has the tools and talent to surpass Frazier if he can pull it altogether.

Love the image linked above.

Not to argue but I really don't see any advantage toolswise that Meadows has over Frazier. His lower 60 time was a one shot thing that he hasn't duplicated. His arm is vastly inferior. His bat to ball isn't as good. I can't comp the fielding as I saw mostly Frazier's fielding, which was excellent. The power is no contest Frazier's.

The Choo comp AFA the power/speed combo I can see except that I think Frazier will supass in both. The arms are a basic wash. Not sure Frazier can duplicate Choo's OBP ability. Plus Frazier is a much better fielder with way better instincts. He won't be Mike Trout but even Trout isn't this year. The only comp to Trout that I've personally seen is Mickey Mantle.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I've heard Meadows has a plus arm and is a legit 5-tool guy. One place mentioned he could play 3b. Of course, the notion includes the power has yet to come. It sounds like both are very toolsy guys and Frazier almost a yr older is that much more advanced. Basedly solely on what I've read I get the sense Meadows needs more time but could be a better talent in the end.
I like the advanced bat from Frazier and tools, but I like the tools and projection with Meadows. Either way, I think I'd be happy if the Tribe were to net Frazier or Meadows come draft day.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:00 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I've heard Meadows has a plus arm and is a legit 5-tool guy. One place mentioned he could play 3b. Of course, the notion includes the power has yet to come. It sounds like both are very toolsy guys and Frazier almost a yr older is that much more advanced. Basedly solely on what I've read I get the sense Meadows needs more time but could be a better talent in the end.
I like the advanced bat from Frazier and tools, but I like the tools and projection with Meadows. Either way, I think I'd be happy if the Tribe were to net Frazier or Meadows come draft day.

Meadows' arm is nowhere near plus. I almost said that my Mom could throw better but she's 83 now. She could in her prime though.
Edit to add: PG on Meadows: "His weakest present tool is his arm strength, which is more suited to left field than to right field if he has to move out of the middle..."

One plus on Meadows, also via PG, is that they say he's a virtual clone physically to Jay Bruce at the same age.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Rocky55 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Don't want anyone to think I'm bagging on Meadows, who Ithink is a really good spec with a nice simple swing, good bat speed, good hand/eye, who is a plus runner, with good power potential. I've heard good things about his fielding but never seen it. I see his upside as a stronger version of Mike Brantley in LF, which is nothing to sneeze at. If he's our pick, I'm good with that. I just prefer Frazier's game & intangibles. Might be moot though, as Frazier might be gone.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm

The newest mock that Jeff posted mentions what people have been saying for a while now...the draft class is weak, but from the sounds of everyones opinions on this board, were set to land a pretty nice player at 5. It does suck that we never find ourselves in a position to grab one of the players in the '1st tier', but the upside of either Meadows or Frazier seems like it would a better overall pick than our Pomeranz selection.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby JP_Frost » Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm secretly hoping for Shipley. I think he gets underrated a bit.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

I like Shipley, I've heard comparisons to Kyle Zimmer last yr. It would be a good pick if Shipley signed for the same ($3M). Slot is $3.7M and would give the Tribe flexibility.
The guy I can't figure out is Ryne Stanek, I thought he'd really turn the corner this yr and become a top 5 pick for sure but he hasn't. Maybe with the right pitching coach he'd get straightened out.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon May 20, 2013 8:56 pm

2013 Indians top 10 draft pks: (total pool: $6,188, 800) *includes only rounds 1-10*
Rd 1 pick 5: $3,787,000
Rd 3 pk 79: $692,200
Rd 4 pk 111: $463,600
Rd 5 pk 141: $347,100
Rd 6 pk 171: $259,900
Rd 7 pk 201: $194,800
Rd 8 pk 231: $158,300
Rd 9 pk 261: $147,800
Rd 10 pk 291: $138,100
Rd 11 pk 321: $100,000

2012 Indians top 10 draft pks: ($4,542,900).
1-15
2-79
3-110
4-143
5-173
6-203
7-233
8-263
9-293
10-327
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Tue May 21, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 am

Here's my first stab at an all (or mostly) College-mock draft:

Rd 1 pick 5: OF Frazier or RHP Shipley
Rd 3 pk 79: RHP B.Farmer (SR) or C S.Turner
Rd 4 pk 111: OF Palka or RHP Kubitza or LHP Moll
Rd 5 pk 141: RHP Lively or 3B/SS/2B Ty Young
Rd 6 pk 171: C Garver (SR) or LHP Boyd (SR)
Rd 7 pk 201: LHP Wetzler or OF Marincov
Rd 8 pk 231: 2B Mazzilli or RHP/INF Irby
Rd 9 pk 261: 1B T.Mancini or 1B Katz (SR)
Rd 10 pk 291: RHP Sitz (SR) or SS P.Blair (SR)
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Sean Manaea was pulled from his start today after 3 warm-up pitches. Haven't heard about injury, but could assume it is the hip bothering him again.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Sean Manaea was pulled from his start today after 3 warm-up pitches. Haven't heard about injury, but could assume it is the hip bothering him again.

Sickels is saying it was 'shoulder tightness"

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/2 ... ea-injured

Will say I was going to be just fine with Manaea should the Indians took him, but he's certainly taking his lumps the last few weeks.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm personally not a Manea fan. His success came from the Cape Cod League. Small sample size, IMO. That's what put his name on the radar. He's dealt with a few durability concerns this year. His 96 mph velocity has dipped to 89-93 this year. To me, he looks like a very average arm. Maybe a #3... I'll pass.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Here's a link to a free MLB draft guide book (PDF format) from minorleagueball.com it's essentially a recap of all their draft coverage, it includes the top 400 some juco players a few player overviews and regional coverage.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/5/2 ... -available
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed May 22, 2013 3:18 pm

Here's a breakdown of the Tribe's top 10 picks from 2010-12.

OVERALL: (30) Includes both Pitchers and Position Players. (Only 2011 8th Rd Pk: LHP S. Tarpley was unsigned).

College: 15
High School: 12
JUCO: 3

OUTFIELDERS: (7)

College: 4
High School: 2
JUCO: 1

INFIELDERS: (4)

College: 2
JUCO: 0

CATCHERS: (3)

College: 1

RIGHTHAND PITCHERS: (14)

College: 7
High School: 5
JUCO: 2

LEFTHAND PITCHERS: (2)

College: 1
High School: 1

PERCENT OF PICKS USED BY SCHOOL:

College: 50%
High School: 40%
JUCO: 10%

PERCENT OF PICKS USED BY POSITION:

RIGHTHAND PITCHERS: 47%
OUTFIELDERS: 23%
INFIELDERS: 13%
CATCHERS: 10%
LEFTHAND PITCHERS: 7%
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Jim Callis at Baseball America now has the Indians taking Colin Moran.

So now Law, Callis, McDaniel, Sickels, and Mayo all have Moran going to the Indians. Must be some heavy info there.....
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm

PEngle39 wrote:Jim Callis at Baseball America now has the Indians taking Colin Moran.

So now Law, Callis, McDaniel, Sickels, and Mayo all have Moran going to the Indians. Must be some heavy info there.....

Means nothing... It would be a break from the Tribes style to draft center of the diamond type players. I won't rule it out bc I think there's a chance they like his bat and he's young for the class that said I think they don't go Moran. Last yr ppl had Heaney, Stratton, and Wacha going to the Tribe.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:15 pm

PEngle39 wrote:Jim Callis at Baseball America now has the Indians taking Colin Moran.

Hope for our sakes those dudes are wrong. I know if Grant & crew saw the UNC/FSU game on Monday they would be having second thoughts. Moran looked pathetic. on both sides of the ball. He looks gangly & un coordinated. Can't see that guy ever being a 3B in MLB. Weak contact, when he made contact, in every AB. These were not Friday night starters pitching. Four guys on UNC had 2 hits apiece. Moran had the bid zero.

Granted, this is only one look. Maybe he was having an off night, but I've seen literally 20 guys in college games this season that I'd take before Moran. I believe I posted somewhere in this thread that I'd take Moran over Meadows; I retract that shamefacedly.

Now watch him end up in the HOF.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby PEngle39 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Rocky55 wrote:

Hope for our sakes those dudes are wrong. I know if Grant & crew saw the UNC/FSU game on Monday they would be having second thoughts. Moran looked pathetic. on both sides of the ball. He looks gangly & un coordinated. Can't see that guy ever being a 3B in MLB. Weak contact, when he made contact, in every AB. These were not Friday night starters pitching. Four guys on UNC had 2 hits apiece. Moran had the bid zero.

Granted, this is only one look. Maybe he was having an off night, but I've seen literally 20 guys in college games this season that I'd take before Moran. I believe I posted somewhere in this thread that I'd take Moran over Meadows; I retract that shamefacedly.

Now watch him end up in the HOF.

Well, Kiley McDaniel has said that Gray and Appel want #1 money and won't take less, so the Astros have been flocking to UNC to see Moran. I guess both owner and GM went to visit him with hopes that he agrees on an very under slot deal. Wouldn't it be something if one of Appel/ Bryant/ Gray fell to the Indians?
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk