RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 am

Mariners "out" on Swisher

Giants "out"

And now, according to Ken Rosenthal, the Rangers are "worried about contract length" as they feel his OF defense may decline and they're set at 1B.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:43 am

I'm not really sure what the mkt is on Swisher outside of Cleveland. TX could go 4 yrs but it seems they might have real reservations. The Rangers are rumored to be courting AJ Pierzynski and Raul Ibanez (per: Dallas morning news). They are reportedly interested in Ibanez's bat on a one yr deal. Philly could step up on Swisher, the Yanks could decide to step back in and Boston might very well to choose to do the same. Could the Dodgers or maybe the Angels step in for Swisher? If the Angels did sign Swisher they'd have a lot of trade chips suddenly, in truth they would be able to move Trumbo, Bourjos and Morales for SP.

The Rangers are reportedly one of two teams in on Edwin Jackson, from what we've hear the Tribe were going to be serious contenders too. Looks like that's not the case, does that mean they'll go hard after Kyle Lohse? I'd guess the Angels step up pursuit of Lohse, then again the Cubs seem set on adding another SP to their mix.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Rocky55 wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Rocky55 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:From what I've heard the original offer was 4 yrs / $50 M. I read today, I think on MLB.com it said they did not change that offer.

Interesting to see Bowden did not link the Tribe to Jackson. I'm curious who their SP targets are, it seems they need to land a veteran innings eater for the pitching staff. They could go after a number of guys like Shaun Marcum, Carlos Villanueva, Bret Myers, Francisco Liriano and Joe Saunders none of which are overwhelming but the right signing or two could land the Tribe an arm capable of logging some much needed sound innings. There are still of number of guys returning from injury, etc. who the Tribe could try to land. Scott Kazmir is one particularly that's been linked to the Tribe, it was reportedly recently that his velocity is back up to 94 and that he has looked good in winter ball. There's also been some speculation the Tribe has interest in Rich Harden as well.

Well WTF. They just want to pay Swisher what they paid Hafner for the last 4 yrs? I know Hafner wasn't worth it but you'd think Swisher would get more just for positional value plus being so consistent & consistently durable. Give the guy an extra $2.5 million per year. You'll still get more production than Hafner & Sizemore together.

I basically agree. I'm hoping that they made this offer believing they had a clear understanding of his market. There are very few sources actually claiming that teams have showed serious interests in offering Swisher a long term contract for that type of money. The Red Sox could turn into one if Napoli falls through, but Texas' interest seems casual at best, and the biggest threat after that appeared to be Seattle, but he does not plan on visiting them apparently. Texas could jump in and make a nice offer, but Bourne seems like the more realistic Target for them. Unless Baltimore, or maybe another mystery team (dont think it will be LAD) jumps in like the Angels did with Hamilton, I think our offer could end up being the best one he sees. If he ends up signing a deal with another team for 2 years 32 million, or something along those lines, I won't be upset. The FO has put itself in the crap position we are in today, but they did everything they could to impress Swisher, and if he doesnt want to be here, so be it. It is not worth throwing out 10 million extra dollars to try to convince a guy to come who doesnt want to be here in the first place.

That being said, Texas will probably sign him 4yr/40 mil.

If Swisher signs for that much less he'd better get the blame from Tribe fans. I'm no FO knob polisher but in this case they've done what they could do.

Indians are in a catch 22 situation. Sign him and get mocked for appearing desperate and then overpaying, or he goes elsewhere and they get mocked for "Dolanz cheep" and appearing desperate.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I recall he's been mentioned a few times on here before, something I think the Indians will really look into

@Ken_Rosenthal: Brett Myers as a starter in 2010-11: 439 2/3 innings, 3.79 ERA. Wants to start again, remains an interesting free-agent option.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm

FWIW

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Free-agent OF Cody Ross visited #Rangers yesterday. Had dinner with team officials, including Washington and Daniels, last night.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:I recall he's been mentioned a few times on here before, something I think the Indians will really look into

@Ken_Rosenthal: Brett Myers as a starter in 2010-11: 439 2/3 innings, 3.79 ERA. Wants to start again, remains an interesting free-agent option.

I have been the Myers guy on here. Really think he makes a lot of sense, worst case scenario is he moves back into the backend of the bullpen. Was kind of surprised the Astro's moved him in the 1st place, but he did pretty damn good considering being thrown directly into a closers role.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:02 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:I recall he's been mentioned a few times on here before, something I think the Indians will really look into

I have been ther Myers guy on here. Really think he makes a lot of sense, worst case scenario is he moves back into the backend of the bullpen. Was kind of surprised the Astro's moved him in the 1st place, but he did pretty damn good considering being thrown directly into a closers role.

I remember when the Astros made that move, lots of stories about how in recent years leading up to that point that bullpen arms were netting considerable deals at the deadline, and that his value to a team like the Astros was better served out of the pen. Something like that, it didn't hurt his value any as he's proven fully capable in either roll.

Carlos Villanueva also fits a similar bill that he could always be shifted into the pen.
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 pm

[quote]@MLBastian: Indians signed RHP Joe Martinez & C Brian Jeroloman to Minors contracts w/ invites to MLB spring training. More soon on http://t.co/qyhX0BJB[/quote

Didn't Joe Martinez pitch for Columbus a few years ago?
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

I think Brett Myers would be a solid sign for the rotation. He won't post sexy numbers but 30+ starts and a 175+ IP with an era near 4.00 - 4.25 would solidify the 3/4 spot. I'd guess Myers could be had for a deal similar to:

Mike Pelfery $4 M with $1.5 M incentives
Kevin Corriea 2 yrs / $10 M
Scott Baker 1 yr / $5.5 M -incentives- ?
Scott Feldman 1 yr / $6 M -incentives- ?

I think these are comparable contracts although Pelfrey, Baker and Feldman are returning from injury Myers would be transitioning back to SP. A cpl other comparable contracts:

Blanton 2 yrs / $15 M and an option for a 3rd yr
McCarthy 2 yrs / $15.5 M

Blanton and McCarthy are other close contracts to consider the price tag on FA SP like; Shaun Marcum, Carlos Villanueva, Joe Saunders, Brett Myers and to a lesser extent perhaps Francisco Liriano. IF the Tribe landed two of these guys it would go a long way toward extending the SP rotation. Something I think they should consider.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:56 pm

The San Diego Padres have been trying to add another SP to their mix their has been speculation (mlbtraderumors.com) that the Padres have inquired about both Ubaldo Jimenez and Justin Masterson, while don't see a deal with the Padres imminent I think it's worth noting they have 11 OF on their 40 man roster. A few names worth looking at besides Cameron Maybin...Will Venable, Jesus Guzman, Chris Denoforia, and prospects Rymer Liriano and Edison Rincon.
Last edited by homerawayfromhome on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:00 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The San Diego Padres have been trying to add another SP to their mix their has been speculation (mlbtraderumors.com) that the Padres have inquired about both Ubaldo Jimenez and Justin Masterson, while don't see a deal with the Padres imminent I think it's worth noting they have 11 OF on their 40 man roster. A few names worth looking at Will Venable, Chris Denoforia, and prospects Rymer Liriano and Edison Rincon.

Yeah don't see the Indians dealing either. Jimenez' value is so low it's pathetic and Masterson isn't going to bring a return worth creating another hole in the rotation. They're better off holding onto them for the moment.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 pm

@Ken_Rosenthal: Morales still #Angels player most likely to go. Desired return: Innings-eating SP. Morales won't get qualifying offer as FA at end of '13.

Ubaldo eats innings....they're not good innings but he does eat them :biggrin
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 pm

I'd send them Corey Kluber...

I'd rather get Bourjos and Morales.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I'd send them Corey Kluber...

Would take a lot more than Kluber for either.

Also, Heyman posted this today

@JonHeymanCBS: swisher should probably start thinking about #indians or elsewhere; his LA dream aint happenin'. http://t.co/UQ07CWZN

Starting to wonder just how many "elsewhere" Swisher ACTUALLY has.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 pm

I'd rather get Morales, Wells, $ 35 MM or so, and two or three of Corey Kalhoun, Kaleb Cowart, CJ Cron and Austin Romine..and would have no issues giving up Justin Masterson and one of Bryan Shaw, Matt Albers or any other BP arm on the Indians current 40 man roster..

... instead of chasing around after a guy who has a standing offer for tens of millions and decides to leave town, anyway...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby BrianM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:

Would take a lot more than Kluber for either.

Also, Heyman posted this today

@JonHeymanCBS: swisher should probably start thinking about #indians or elsewhere; his LA dream aint happenin'. http://t.co/UQ07CWZN

Starting to wonder just how many "elsewhere" Swisher ACTUALLY has.

It's funny...we all thought the Angels signing Hamilton would be bad for us in the end, but if the Rangers signed him instead, the angels may have already signed Swisher.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

@DKnobler: Rangers are looking and meeting, but as expected, names (Jackson, Ross, Swisher, LaRoche, etc.) aren't exciting. http://t.co/xR8AaQPS
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Yeah I know Morales is worth a lot more than Kluber - I was just kidding...
Morales is a guy on the cheap who could easily produce 25+ HRS and would add a qlty add to the Indians lineup.

As I suggested earlier in the day the Angels could always step in on Swisher and then make Trumbo, Bourjos and Morales available. Honestly, I'm thinking IF the Rangers decide to go with several incremental additions like Ross, Ibanez and Pierzynski instead of a cpl larger FA splurges like Swisher or Bourn we may see a team like Philly step in on Swisher - if the Rangers sign Ross.

Personally, I'm starting to think the Tribe should go aggressively after a cpl of the SP for the rotation and look to make a shrewd trade or two for mor upside SP.

Btw, Rosenthal had an article today about the Mariners and possible trades to upgrade their offense. Here's a link...
http://t.co/AvCKF3sL

The M's are a team G'Son mentioned several times as a possible trade partner. They've got a lot of young talented SP and need offensive upgrades.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

A couple of "tidbits" on the current FA pursuits....

Jon Heyman of CBSSports is reporting that the Phillies are putting the "Full Court Press" on outfielder Cody Ross. Heyman is also reporting that the Phillies are "Pursuing" outfielder Vernon Wells from the Angels. But, in any deal, the Angels would need to pay at least $35 of the $42 Million owed to Wells over the next 2 years.

Sounds like the Phillies see more value in Cody Ross.. That's a LOT of $$$$$ to pay someone to play against you w/r Vernon wells... He might be a poor investment.. but down to $ 3 1/2 MM/year from $ 20 MM/year?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:03 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:A couple of "tidbits" on the current FA pursuits....

Jon Heyman of CBSSports is reporting that the Phillies are putting the "Full Court Press" on outfielder Cody Ross. Heyman is also reporting that the Phillies are "Pursuing" outfielder Vernon Wells from the Angels. But, in any deal, the Angels would need to pay at least $35 of the $42 Million owed to Wells over the next 2 years.

Sounds like the Phillies see more value in Cody Ross.. That's a LOT of $$$$$ to pay someone to play against you w/r Vernon wells... He might be a poor investment.. but down to $ 3 1/2 MM/year from $ 20 MM/year?

Wouldn't mind Soriano if the Cubs would cover his salary like the Angels are for Wells.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I read somewhere, think it was mlbtraderumors that said they'd cover up to $26 M of Soriano's deal for two B prospects. No thanks the Tribe needs something more long term instead of giving up the minor league talent they've got. Others have mentioned David DeJesus also of the Cubs.

The Tribe could always get creative and turn 1 or 2 of: ACab, CPerez or Masterson into a SP and RF. I try to throw out some potential trade partners / and speculate on a few possible trades later.

I'm really curious what the mkt really is for Swisher, at this point I'm ready to see the Tribe move on. IMO, they simply cannot afford to wait and miss out on others...Would the Tribe flip the 4 yrs / $50 M - rumored offer to Edwin Jackson as he remains unsigned...OR...Michael Bourn...OR could they offer 3 yrs / $39 M for Kyle Lohse and potentially Cody Ross 3 yrs / $25?

If the Tribe is unable to land any of Swisher, Ross and Hairston they could fall back to Delmon Young in LF with a deal similar to Mark Reynolds 1 yr $6 M and $1.5 M in incentives. The OF would then round out with Brantley playing CF and Stubbs in RF.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm

The Indians will not be signing Michael Bourn or Kyle Lohse. Scott Boras.

Delmon young? Ok I can get on board if he's DH only. I want him nowhere in the OF unless he's warming up before a game.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Homer.. you know.. I don't so much think there's a benefit in "landing" these guys to the team on the field than to the team in the front office and the fans who read the drivel sprewed by the local lewzerz..... Sure, Nick Swisher will clearly help the club. He's a versatile athlete. He can play more than one position. He has an abundance of personality.. But is he really part of the answer?.. and should it take 20 - 22 % of the payroll to find out? Or should the Indians make a plan.. get two more Bauers.. by draft, by trade, by gosh or by golly.. use the $ to make that happen.. Keep pushing the SP's.. if a deal (trade/FA acquisition/other) doesn't have a component where an SP is coming to the Indians..pass and keep shopping.. it's the only way to compete.. Cody Ross is a fine player.. but he doesn't fall into the "must have" pile..he's an okay addition.. just like Hairston..just like Swisher.. just okay, not an impact player that makes a difference..

...sorry for the rant...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:09 pm

They'd obviously have to have a platoon type with Young. He's not an everyday guy in LF. I agree the Tribe likely wont sign Bourn or Lohse I'd throw out maybe a 5% chance, but the Tribe might find themselves with the opportunity to spend a little money and a cpl options they like but dislike the agent. The agent shouldn't prevent signing a guy but in this case he's certainly not going to encourage his clients to sign with the Tribe. I just keep thinking back to the Tribe trying to acq. Bourn but not wanting to give up these two young arms they had, instead they used those and a cpl other pieces to land a SP who had for some reason fell out of favor with his former organization.

Personally, I'd like to see the Tribe sign a cpl guys like Ryan Raburn and Ryan Sweeney to some incentive laden minor league deals.

Is signing Nick Swisher worth losing the Tribes second rd pk and slot money? Obviously, there's absolutely no guarantee the pk whoever it is ever reaches the majors so there's that. Then there's the argument the Tribe needs to do it right and develop their own talent through the farm system. Btw, that shouldn't be an issue or a thought they have to. It's that simple but at the same time they need to supplement the big league club with talent.

At this juncture I simply don't think the Tribe can sit by a Swisher hopes for a huge contract offer they may not be coming their way. I say leave the offer on the table for Swisher but aggressively pursue another bat that fills the need in RF. It seems its not a matter of if, but when one of these big dollar clubs jumps in. If Swisher wants to "come home" to the Tribe then I applaud him for it, but they can't afford to simply wait for him...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Angels and Ms swap Vargas for Morales per mlbtraderumors.com.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:23 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Angels and Ms swap Vargas for Morales per mlbtraderumors.com.

Yep.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Source: #Angels have traded Kendrys Morales to the #Mariners for SP Jason Vargas.

Sure as hell didn't see that coming.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Homer.. you know.. I don't so much think there's a benefit in "landing" these guys to the team on the field than to the team in the front office and the fans who read the drivel sprewed by the local lewzerz..... Sure, Nick Swisher will clearly help the club. He's a versatile athlete. He can play more than one position. He has an abundance of personality.. But is he really part of the answer?.. and should it take 20 - 22 % of the payroll to find out? Or should the Indians make a plan.. get two more Bauers.. by draft, by trade, by gosh or by golly.. use the $ to make that happen.. Keep pushing the SP's.. if a deal (trade/FA acquisition/other) doesn't have a component where an SP is coming to the Indians..pass and keep shopping.. it's the only way to compete.. Cody Ross is a fine player.. but he doesn't fall into the "must have" pile..he's an okay addition.. just like Hairston..just like Swisher.. just okay, not an impact player that makes a difference..

...sorry for the rant...

I get what you're saying, but who's says they're not doing everything you said they need to? When they traded for Mike Aviles it became very clear the Indians intended to shop Asdrubal Cabrera and have. The fact that the Reds became a match for Choo & Arizona worked out for Cleveland so much it's amazing.

But to that end, they can't deal assets, in this case Choo, and not replace them somehow. If the Indians are truly interested in competing they have to replace Choo with more than Tim Fedroff and Russ Canzler.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Angels and Ms swap Vargas for Morales per mlbtraderumors.com.

Yep.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Source: #Angels have traded Kendrys Morales to the #Mariners for SP Jason Vargas.

Count me in that group as well. Didn't see that coming. Interesting trade, to say the least. Left me saying.. Hmph.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:

Yep.

Trade makes some sense for both sides. Saw a few people mention it as a possibility. Vargas's splits are bad but has pitched well in Anaheim so could work out. Mariners obviously need offense and save a little money here too. 1B/DH seemed "ok" for them with Montero and Smoak though I thought. Smoak has major flaws but did hit 19 HRs last year. Morales is an upgrade without question but only has 1 year left. LF is still is/was a bigger hole IMO...they may actually have to start Bay there. :eek
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:46 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:

Yep.

Adding Vargas makes the Angels Garrett Richards and Jerome Williams more vulnerable to trade. The Angles clearly do not have faith in RIchards as an SP, which surprises me. Richards was never a dominating SP in the Minors, but, he did skip most of his AAA year by pitching in the minors. Seems like too many good hitters too soon in his career.. He might be a lot better if he can throw strike one more often... Haven't we all heard that from the Indains manager?..

Kendrys for a # 4/#5 SP.. how the mighty have fallen...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Yep.

Trade makes some sense for both sides. Saw a few people mention it as a possibility. Vargas's splits are bad but has pitched well in Anaheim so could work out. Mariners obviously need offense and save a little money here too. 1B/DH seemed "ok" for them with Montero and Smoak though I thought. Smoak has major flaws but did hit 19 HRs last year. Morales is an upgrade without question but only has 1 year left. LF is still is/was a bigger hole IMO...they may actually have to start Bay there. :eek

More than anything, Smoak had a good finish to his year and the M's are optimistic that he's figured something out.. Don't ask me what, that guy was dreadful when he faced the Indians in mid August. He always seemed to be clueless whenever he had two strikes on him.. anything with a wrinkle and he was finished. He'd hit that weak roller to 2B.... Finishing August he had a couple of good games against the CWSOx, then, the month of September was his best as a Pro. I think the M's are going to take away his switch hitting and will challenge him (this would be the way Wedge would go) for his spot in the everyday lineup with the acquisition of Kendrys....

Just a guess...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:02 pm

One other note.. homer made this point clear in his choo discussion, creating a hole that needs to be filled.. That is without a doubt an absolutely essential /must get accomplished between now and the start of Spring Training, now just 60 days away..With Vargas leaving, the M's find their already thin'ish SP ranks thin & thinned some. They are being 'teased' by their fans to do something / anything.. Jack Z, if nothing else has to be incredibly patient guy.. after all, his manager is Eric Wedge.. The M's and Indians could be involved in a trade...we shall see..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Damn, this I did see coming.

@JonHeymanCBS: Cubs agree with villanueva
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

@DKnobler: Dodgers, Red Sox both talking Hanrahan with Pirates. http://t.co/duvPuIJ7

Sources suggest the Dodgers are considering a variety of relievers, and could also make a play for either Indians closer Chris Perez or Mets reliever Bobby Parnell instead. The Dodgers would prefer a left-hander, but many of their best choices appear to be right-handers -- including Hanrahan, Perez and Parnell.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm

w/r to Swisher's journey to the left coast.. it's a pretty good bet he'll be aware that no one will see most of his games.. he'll be hitting in mostly pitcher's parks, so his numbers will be pretty mediocre.. Too many games when the thick air rolls in on the Left Coast making singles hitters out of guys who normally crush it in some of the East Coast Band Boxes....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm

According to Rosenthal the Tribe is in on Edwin Jackson along with the Cubs and Rangers. Sounds like bidding is at 4yr/$50M or bout the same as Swisher (per Heyman). Not a surprise but they are saying the Tribe probably can't afford both (though if you moved Cabrera and Perez you could)...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:24 pm

The Tribe needs Jackson before they need Swisher, just my opinion. I get they probably can't afford both but should make the best effort to land them, though I'm not excited about landing Swisher. Jackson would provide some stability for the rotation and a solid 2/3 starter. As for Swisher, leave out the offer but he walked, let him keep on walking and build this team around PITCHING. The good thing is Jackson will not cost a draft picked if signed which goes further to building this club for the future.

Btw, just a personal thought here but it seems the money they offer to Swisher is simply being offered to Edwin Jackson. Seems like this is what we are willing to sign someone for...now who's going to take it?

I said in a post earlier today I'll break down a cpl teams I think the Tribe could match up well with. Let me first identify the players from the Tribe I think we could see moved and a cpl of these guys - many may disagree with - but call this some educated speculation. Also, I'm only including teams I think the Tribe might actually work a deal with.

ACab - Dodgers, Mariners, Cards
CPerez - Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels
Masterson - Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, Padres
Jimenez - Padres, Pirates
Pestano - Angels, Dodgers, A's, Phillies
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 pm

A small note...

Mark Feinsand of The New York Daily News reports (on Twitter) that Swisher has two offers on the table with three or four other clubs interested as well.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#BOMWBX5m32vkVVUv.99
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:47 pm

I don't see us signing Jackson likely. I would love to have him, but I just don't see it.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 am

A.Zajac wrote:I don't see us signing Jackson likely. I would love to have him, but I just don't see it.

Well, I wouldn't count them out yet personally. Looks to me like they are willing to spend around 50+ mil on someone this off-season if the right opportunity presents itself. They obviously want to sign Swisher and if it came down to them actually having the luxury to decide between Jackson and Swisher (hey sign them both!!) I rather see them sign up Nick. But if he remains hesitant or signs somewhere else and wouldn't surprise me to see the tribe to make a strong play for Jackson.

I was half joking about signing them both, but what if they move Perez and/or Acab... Depending on what salary commitment they would have to deal with, its a possibility albeit a remote one.

Very impressed with the indians off-season so far. Compared to previous years, they actually seem to be making the plays for players that actually address real areas of need. Oh and I am not for bringing in too many minor deal type players like some posters propose. I think perhaps you might be a little to used to how the indians have operated the past few (many) years, and when you think about almost every minor deal the past few years have been worthless. Save that money for real bondafide ML'ers.

Canzler - mildly surprised and some say he is fairly likely to clear waivers. I disagree, he will be claimed and its quite possible (i'd say 75% likely) he will get traded for cash.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 am

It's being reported that the Cubs are now frontrunners for Jackson at 4-years $52M.

I'd like to have him, but not for 4 years and I'd much rather have Swisher.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 am

A.Zajac wrote:I don't see us signing Jackson likely. I would love to have him, but I just don't see it.

Any top free agent signing in Cleveland seems unlikely. Sounds like the Cubs are the frontrunners (makes sense after what they offered Sanchez)
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:20 am

Criznit2009,

I somewhat disagree about the minor league deals. 1. The Tribe has no RF really to speak of right now. 2. Minor league deals are low cost. 3. Minor league deals protect the club in case of injury / provide depth. 4. Guys like Ryan Raburn and Ryan Sweeney would offer all the above but at a low risk. However, I agree the Tribe has used this practice obsessively in recent yrs so much so the Tribes own talent seemed buried below useless roster fodder.

It Sounds like the Cubs are really trying to build around pitching they reportedly snagged Carlos Villanueva earlier in the day and now they are hot for Jackson. Sounds like the money they would have spent on Sanchez will be dispersed potentially to Jackson and Villanueva instead.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:52 am

I rather give Neal or Fedroff/LaPorta?Carerra/Aviles? a go before they sign someone like Raburn... Besides my intent was to point out that it seems to me not matter what the tribe will somehow end up with a true ML'er roaming the OF in place of Choo. Swisher, Ross, trade, etc. Signing real ML'ers (spending big bucks) instead of singing depth/AAAA/retread/wildcard types is a novel idea/new direction for the tribe. I am not opposed to some "interesting" minor league signings for depth, but I hope the whole trying to catch lightning in a bottle/part time ML'ers is a thing of the past. I believe they plan on spending all their money on "their guy" and if that happens, spending the scraps on whatever is clever.

Starting to wonder if we might have missed out on Morales, especially when they ended up trading with a team in their division.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:21 am

criznit2009 wrote:I rather give Neal or Fedroff/LaPorta?Carerra/Aviles? a go before they sign someone like Raburn... Besides my intent was to point out that it seems to me not matter what the tribe will somehow end up with a true ML'er roaming the OF in place of Choo. Swisher, Ross, trade, etc. Signing real ML'ers (spending big bucks) instead of singing depth/AAAA/retread/wildcard types is a novel idea/new direction for the tribe. I am not opposed to some "interesting" minor league signings for depth, but I hope the whole trying to catch lightning in a bottle/part time ML'ers is a thing of the past. I believe they plan on spending all their money on "their guy" and if that happens, spending the scraps on whatever is clever.

Starting to wonder if we might have missed out on Morales, especially when they ended up trading with a team in their division.

Not really a new idea/direction for the Tribe in going after top OF talent. Tribe tried hard to get Beltran last year so going after Swisher here is not that new. Does sounds like we have a better chance though if we miss out we're still finishing second again. Fingers crossed though that we can get Swisher.

As far as Morales...I'd definietely have liked him and would have been a nice guy to hit after Santana. But I'm getting the feeling the Tribe may leave the DH spot open this year and let a guy like McGuiness and others rotate in and have shots at it. Plus wonder if with Gomes in tow you may see Santana DH a bit more (Marson starting against lefties?). Getting Morales would have taken up the 1B and DH spots with Reynolds and kind of prevented you from allowing others to get ABs there (unless someone got hurt obviously).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 am

I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer Swisher 4yrs/$52 million over Jackson.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 am

A.Zajac wrote:I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer Swisher 4yrs/$52 million over Jackson.

You may be in the minority but definitely not alone here. I know Jackson is younger than Swisher but for me pitchers always come with greater risk with injury. Rather give 4 years and that money to a position player. Don't think it's an outrageous deal for Jackson though. 4/$44-48M seems more reasonable though to me for EJax.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 am

@Buster_ESPN: The pitcher who threw highest percentage of fastballs last year has been on the trade block. http://t.co/jAXUi1hJ BOS has had most interest.

It's Justin Masterson for those not interested in the link.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 am

Can someone explain to me why EJax > Marcum?

I'd rather sign Marcum...if he's cheaper, hey even better. I get that he has more durability issues, but with the plethora of no5 SPs and deep BP I'd take a shot at him, as I think a healthy Marcum is better than EJackson

Anyone know what his market looks like? How much money and years is he looking for?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 am

Tondo wrote:Can someone explain to me why EJax > Marcum?

I'd rather sign Marcum...if he's cheaper, hey even better. I get that he has more durability issues, but with the plethora of no5 SPs and deep BP I'd take a shot at him, as I think a healthy Marcum is better than EJackson

Anyone know what his market looks like? How much money and years is he looking for?

Jackson has better stuff and is far more durable. You basically answered your own question with his durability issues. There are also guys available in trades that teams will likely consider first. Rick Porcello, Aaron Harang, Cjris Capuano etc.

Can see someone giving Marcum a 2 year deal tops. I'm guessing he's asking for a lot considering guys like McCarthy, who also has questions about health over the years, are getting signed. Before they wasted 15 million on Joe Blanton I thought the Angels would have taken a flier on him.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors