Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

MLB Hot Stove

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: MLB Hot Stove

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Ryan Ludwick resigned with the Reds. 2years 15 million

Also Kenny Rosemthal reporting that Michael Young may be close to accepting a trade to the Phillies
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:21 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Ryan Ludwick resigned with the Reds. 2years 15 million

Also Kenny Rosemthal reporting that Michael Young may be close to accepting a trade to the Phillies

Done deal.. Rangers pay $ 10 MM of salary, add another 1.2 MM in benefit compensation (tax difference) and Michael Young is now the starting 3B for the Phillies for one year.. or until Asche is good to go, whichever comes first.. Good deal for the Rangers, allows them a small bit of flexibility with their lineup, adds a small amount of cash back (~ $ 5 MM). This could be the Rangers opening move where they acquire Greinke, re-sign Hamilton and trade for J-Up.. we shall see..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:52 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Ryan Ludwick resigned with the Reds. 2years 15 million

Done deal.. Rangers pay $ 10 MM of salary, add another 1.2 MM in benefit compensation (tax difference) and Michael Young is now the starting 3B for the Phillies for one year.. or until Asche is good to go, whichever comes first.. Good deal for the Rangers, allows them a small bit of flexibility with their lineup, adds a small amount of cash back (~ $ 5 MM). This could be the Rangers opening move where they acquire Greinke, re-sign Hamilton and trade for J-Up.. we shall see..

Not sure the Rangers can pull off all three of Greinke, Hamilton and Upton. I think in an ideal world they will get Upton and Greinke but we will see how that all plays out.

All we know for sure is Greinke and Hamilton are holding up the show for many FA.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indians1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm

Geronimo-

jocketty- was a special assistant in 2008 and did not take over fully until 2009.

in 2009 and 2011, they finished a few games under .500. In 2010 and 2012, over 90 wins including 97 wins this year.

He has a great record when he was GM with St. Louis.

And look at the record of the team in the 4 or 5 years prior to jocketty getting there.

Cincinnati is going to be better than the tribe this year as well. They have pulled off good trades and made good signings.

You continue to defend a FO that has had 2 good seasons in 12 years. and you never provide any facts that support that we have the right guys running the ship. Where is your proof?
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

indians1 wrote:Geronimo-

jocketty- was a special assistant in 2008 and did not take over fully until 2009.

in 2009 and 2011, they finished a few games under .500. In 2010 and 2012, over 90 wins including 97 wins this year.

He has a great record when he was GM with St. Louis.

And look at the record of the team in the 4 or 5 years prior to jocketty getting there.

Cincinnati is going to be better than the tribe this year as well. They have pulled off good trades and made good signings.

You continue to defend a FO that has had 2 good seasons in 12 years. and you never provide any facts that support that we have the right guys running the ship. Where is your proof?

I agree Jocketty is a better GM than Antonetti (at least based off how Antonetti has done to this point), but should be pointed out that Cincy had a string of very bad managers before they hired an experienced manager with World Series experience in Dusty Baker in 2008. Not saying Francona will turn us around, but a good/experienced manager can have a big impact. Last experiencd/good manager the Reds had prior to Baker was Jack McKeon won left in 2000. They didn't finish above 3rd place til Baker came in. Not saying a manager is the only reason but think it's a combination of Baker and Jockettty in Cincy. Hopefully Francona and Antonetti can turn things around (not sold Antonetti is the guy but willing to give him a shot).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:49 pm

indians1 wrote:see, the problem with the indians is that they should have made trades when guys like perez and choo were in high demand.

They did nothing at the trade deadline again showing their incompetence. There were several teams after choo and he had 1.5 years left with a team.

The indians should trade cabrera now, because his value will never be higher.

Last year, the indians should have been buyers or sellers, but what they did was the worst because it did nothing to help them compete in the near future.

Anybody who thinks we are going to compete this year for the division is kidding themselves. Sure they may hang around for a while, but they will fade like they did last year and the year before that. last year, they actually fell apart sooner than in 2011.

The problem with the indians is that they are trying to window dress a team that has so many holes. Our starting rotation is atrocious and you can't when masterson and ubaldo have been so bad as of late. ubaldo- going on 2.5 years of bad pitching.

Somehow, antonetti and shapiro are trying to convince a fan base that all we needed was an experienced manager that can motivate players and we will do much better.

Look at the reds, they did not start winning until they got a competent GM . It is not a coincidence that cincinnati has been infinitely better since walt jocketty took over.

You are assuming, maybe correctly but also likely incorrectly, that teams were offering solid value for Choo and/or Perez. I'm fine with not dealing either of them at the deadline if the offers were not up to par.

Still a very good chance a team comes to us with a good Choo offer. Once guys like Ross and Swisher sign is when you'll likely see teams making bigger pushes for Choo. Remember, the Crisp deal we made didn't' happen til January. It's still pretty darn early. A guy like Choo may not be in high demand now but when the free agent pool dries up, he very well could be.

Being a little harsh on Masterson. Was arguably one of the 10 best pitchers in the AL in 2011. Yeah he had a rough 2012 but acting like he's garbage (which your post suggests) is extreme. Ubaldo you have a point on though.

Maybe it's me but I haven't gotten that same vibe that you seem to have gotten that the front office is trying to sell this team based off Francona. Far from it IMO. They have acknowledged that we need to add to this club.

And while I agree it's very, very optimistic to think the Tribe can compete for the division, don't think it's ludicrous. IMO the only team that's better on paper right now than they were at the end of last year is the Royals. Sure the Tigers added Hunter and Victor shoudl be back (though how will he play after missing full season), but Sanchez is a free agent still and bullpen could be an issue. This is still a bad division that may not take 90 wins to take.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I really like Trevor Bauer -- I was vocal about this last year on the draft board -- and I think Cabrera straight up for him would be adequate return, although I do think the Indians should ask for more. I'd love to see them try to work Chafin or someone in there, but I understand if that can't be done.

Asdrubal is not an elite player; he's an above average MLB SS on a good contract, but he's a bad body guy that's out of shape. Not exactly a premium type athlete here, but still, a very solid player. I hope the Indians aren't pissing other teams off by demanding too much for him.

Just my opinion, but I think Antonetti may be a little gun shy on Trevor Bauer. I have loved Bauer for a while now, but he's got a funky delivery and can throw a lot of pitches. I think the Ubaldo Jimenez thing may make the Indians weary of Bauer; Jimenez has super funky mechanics and lost it fast -- it's possible the same happens to Bauer, but Bauer is still young and athletic so it's unlikely in the short to intermediate term. Frankly, I prefer Bauer to Skaggs (a more prototypical, safer SP prospect) b/c I don't see where else the Indians are going to acquire an IMPACT starting pitching prospect.

If things come together for the Indians, their rotation could be formidable in the second half next year with young, powerful arms. Carlos Carrasco is a legitimate talent, Trevor Bauer, Zach McAllister (I like him) and perhaps Mike Pelfrey. The guys they have brought out as SPs the last two years have been almost embarrassing for the organization. I hope we can get beyond that.

Gotta wonder too if Lincecum's struggles this year might not also lead to some hesitation on Bauer. Think Bauer is more like Lincecum than Ubaldo as both are a bit undersized and rely on torque from their funky deliveries more than most pitchers. Lincecum is shorter but that's who Bauer was pretty much always compared too coming out of college. And sounds like there could be some attitude issues (though that could be blown out of proportion) with Bauer that are rubbing the D'backs the wrong way. I do agree that Ubaldo's struggles could be cause of hesitation on the Tribe's part in regards to Bauer.

The rotation does look bad right now but I still think Masterson will rebound. Think he's more more like the pitcher we saw in 2011 than 2012. Ubaldo...not really sure what to make there. I could see him having a year like he had in 2008 or 2009...or another 2012. He's the new Fausto. I like McAllister too, think he could become a nice #4 for us.

I agree Asdrubal is not an elite player. However, aren't many elite SS's in baseball right now IMO. Gives him a lot of value in a trade IMO. Honestly could care less though if the Tribe is pissing teams off with their high demands. If you get offended by high trade demands you're in the wrong business. Check your vagina at the door, as teams should always have high demands for players who are currently the best on the market at their position. Bauer should not be close to enough for Asdrubal. Yes, he's one hell of a talent but is far from flawless. Asdrubal has his flaws too but has produced at the major league level and produced well at a premium position (yes, defense is bad but still). Bauer is too much of a question mark still IMO to only get him for Asdrubal.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 pm

... The rotation does look bad right now but I still think Masterson will rebound....

If he's bouncing back from being "atrocious" it shouldn't take much.. The acquisition of Terry Francona has to be one of the key moves for the Indians to become successful. How Tito handles the the starting pitching staff could be the difference between not being salient to making a lot of noise in the AL central. The Tigers made it to the WS based on a late season collapse by the CWSox more than the Tiger's stepping on the gas.. The back of the Tiger's pen has to make Leyland smoke an extra pack every game.. Not resigning Anibal is a big mistake.. Getting Torii.. is going to hurt the Indians, every game...

But the key to the Indians is the starting staff.. Masterson can't pitch in bad luck and can' pitch from behind (score and count) to be effective. Like others, I have no idea what to expect from Ubaldo.. I sort of hoped the rumors of him being traded to SD had some merit, no such luck.. Corey Kluber, despite his numbers and the latest injury nonsense could become decent middle of the rotation guy. He misses a lot of bats, but, he needs to miss more. Every team he faced for the second time as a starter improved their run total against him. Everyone seems to believe that Z-Mac is going to settle in as a back of the rotation guy, he throws strike one a lot, is durable and young. He should be around for a while. That leaves four or five guys available for at least one spot based on the current roster. The Indians have their backs up against it w/r to adding someone who has the ability to come in and start right away... So, yes, the Indians rotation is in poor shape.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Reports are saying the Dodgers are close to signing Greinke for 6yrs/$145M.

Could have big implications on the Tribe's winter both in the mutli-team Upton deals and getting Swisher...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Reports are saying the Dodgers are close to signing Greinke for 6yrs/$145M.

Could have big implications on the Tribe's winter both in the mutli-team Upton deals and getting Swisher...

If Texas resigns Hamilton, Hopefully Seattle will just slide into their place in the three team trade talks. I'm sure they will have some interest in Upton, and GSon has sold me that Seattle has more to offer than Texas when it comes to prospects.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 pm

The Tribe has apparently signed a pitcher from Japan... Kota Kobayashi 21. Here's the link...
http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=23779
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

BrianM wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Reports are saying the Dodgers are close to signing Greinke for 6yrs/$145M.

If Texas resigns Hamilton, Hopefully Seattle will just slide into their place in the three team trade talks. I'm sure they will have some interest in Upton, and GSon has sold me that Seattle has more to offer than Texas when it comes to prospects.

Upton to Seattle would make sense as they need offense badly. Definitely have some pitchers the Tribe could want (assuming a 3-team deal). I still like the D'backs pitchers better personally though.

And now sounds like it's a done deal, Greinke to the Dodgers for 6yrs/$145M. Gonna be interesting to see where the Rangers go from here. Shields name came up in some mutli-team talks, may be a target now. Hamilton back to the Rangers now? Seattle getting Swisher or Bourn?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:19 pm

Sounds like the Dodgers are going after Anibal Sanchez next (hardball talk). Seems like they aren't stressing signing Hyun Jin-Ryu but have another day to do so, I think they may have bid to block other teams and hold his signing rights.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 am

Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Upton to Seattle would make sense as they need offense badly. Definitely have some pitchers the Tribe could want (assuming a 3-team deal). I still like the D'backs pitchers better personally though.

And now sounds like it's a done deal, Greinke to the Dodgers for 6yrs/$145M. Gonna be interesting to see where the Rangers go from here. Shields name came up in some mutli-team talks, may be a target now. Hamilton back to the Rangers now? Seattle getting Swisher or Bourn?

Could easily turn their attention to Sanchez or Lohse, or reopen talks for Shields.

Seattle has always been a threat to sign Swisher, so I'm not concerned any more or less regarding him. They could still go after Michael Bourn to play center.

Indians appear to be in a holding pattern until Youkilis & Swisher decide. If Youkilis goes to NY I do hope the Indians don't mess around and get after Mark Reynolds. Could see Tampa Bay sneak in and sign Reynolds and see him hit 40 bombs for them DHing and backing up Loney at 1B.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:26 am

FWIW regarding The Swisher & Seattle

@JonHeymanCBS: #mariners are trying hard for hamilton & looking at bourn, youk, morse & upton. http://t.co/syA6PmDQ

The article goes on to mention this near the end

The Mariners also are keenly interested in leadioff hitter extraordinaire Michael Bourn, though it isn't known ether they have the financial flexibility to sign both he and Bourn. Justin Upton, Michael Morse, Cody Ross, Kevin Youkilis, and to a lesser degree Nich Swisher, are on Seattle's radar as well.
Last edited by GoTribe028 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
BrianM wrote:

Could easily turn their attention to Sanchez or Lohse, or reopen talks for Shields.

Seattle has always been a threat to sign Swisher, so I'm not concerned any more or less regarding him. They could still go after Michael Bourn to play center.

Indians appear to be in a holding pattern until Youkilis & Swisher decide. If Youkilis goes to NY I do hope the Indians don't mess around and get after Mark Reynolds. Could see Tampa Bay sneak in and sign Reynolds and see him hit 40 bombs for them DHing and backing up Loney at 1B.

Seattle has been mentioned as a spot for Swisher, but Hamilton always has seemed like their top target (at least seems that way to me). Had the Rangers gotten Greinke, Hamilton may have fallen into their laps and taken them out of the Swisher sweepstakes. Maybe they still could land Hamilton, as sounds like the Rangers are still interested in Upton. I'm not super concerned about Seattle getting Swisher, but I'm not really 'that' optimistic that Swisher will come to Cleveland (though does seem much more possible than it did a week ago). I also still think the Phillies are a dark-horse for Swisher. Big need in the cOF and they have been relatively quiet this winter.

I could definitely see the Rays going after Reynolds, though I think OF/2B and catcher are probably bigger concerns than DH for them right now. Rays have had Pena for several years so the K's probably won't be a big turn off for them with Reynolds.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:31 am

GoTribe028 wrote:FWIW regarding The Swisher & Seattle

@JonHeymanCBS: #mariners are trying hard for hamilton & looking at bourn, youk, morse & upton. http://t.co/syA6PmDQ

The Mariners also are keenly interested in leadioff hitter extraordinaire Michael Bourn, though it isn't known ether they have the financial flexibility to sign both he and Bourn. Justin Upton, Michael Morse, Cody Ross, Kevin Youkilis, and to a lesser degree Nich Swisher, are on Seattle's radar as well.

Not sure I can see Youk going to Seattle unless they really overpaid. Seager and Smoak man the corners so Youk could be looking at DH only in Seattle. Not sure he wants to play there the next 2 years and kill his value after this deal is up. Suppose the Mariners could move on from Smoak and give Youk 1B though.

If Swisher is down on the Mariners radar.....sounds like a plus for Cleveland. I still say Philly is a threat...maybe Texas if Hamilton leaves but not seeing many teams that would go $50M+ for Swisher at this stage. Am I missing someone??
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:39 am

Hermie13 wrote:

Not sure I can see Youk going to Seattle unless they really overpaid. Seager and Smoak man the corners so Youk could be looking at DH only in Seattle. Not sure he wants to play there the next 2 years and kill his value after this deal is up. Suppose the Mariners could move on from Smoak and give Youk 1B though.

If Swisher is down on the Mariners radar.....sounds like a plus for Cleveland. I still say Philly is a threat...maybe Texas if Hamilton leaves but not seeing many teams that would go $50M+ for Swisher at this stage. Am I missing someone??

I don't see Seattle as a threat for Youk either, don't really see the Yanks as one either. If he goes there, so be it, but I worry about the loss of Youk AND Reynolds to other teams.

I don't see Texas as a threat yet. As for FA bats I think it's Josh Hamilton or bust for them right now. I suppose they are in the long run, but I think now they turn their attention hardcore after pitching like Kyle Lohse, maybe Sanchez and turn towards deals for Justin Upton or James Shields.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 am

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I don't see Seattle as a threat for Youk either, don't really see the Yanks as one either. If he goes there, so be it, but I worry about the loss of Youk AND Reynolds to other teams.

I don't see Texas as a threat yet. As for FA bats I think it's Josh Hamilton or bust for them right now. I suppose they are in the long run, but I think now they turn their attention hardcore after pitching like Kyle Lohse, maybe Sanchez and turn towards deals for Justin Upton or James Shields.

I think the Tribe could be ok without either Youk and Reynolds, though hoping for at least one.

I agree with everything you're saying in regards to Texas. I guess i'm just trying to find teams to sign Swisher as it blows my mind that we are seen by many as potential frontrunners for him.

Maybe the Tribe signing Swisher was one of the signs the Mayans saw when predicting the end of the world....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 am

Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I think the Tribe could be ok without either Youk and Reynolds, though hoping for at least one.

I agree with everything you're saying in regards to Texas. I guess i'm just trying to find teams to sign Swisher as it blows my mind that we are seen by many as potential frontrunners for him.

Maybe the Tribe signing Swisher was one of the signs the Mayans saw when predicting the end of the world....

I worry about 1B because of the other options there. LaPorta was outrighted and about time. Canzler, Anderson, McDade (who I like a lot) and McGuinness don't inspire confidence at all when talking about splitting AB's between BOTH DH and 1B AND potentially an OF spot.

As much help the team needs to improve the rotation somehow, the Indians lineup will be a mockery running out there with the likes of the names mentioned above filling them.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 am

I think one of the signs the world was coming to an end was actually the Tribe signing Swisher and Reynolds or the Greek God of walks. Seriously though no matter what you believe, you'd better be right about it. :cool Sorry for preaching...

Just wanted to throw out another name I think the Tribe could be looking Francisco Liriano. Liriano knows the division and probably signs on the cheap and short term. Liriano would offer the Tribe a power lefty with a ton of talent although he's inconsistent.

As for the Tribe's 1b situation I think they are trying to give themselves a number of options. I'd rather they have several options at 1b / LF than try to bring in another signing like last yr.

LaPorta is out of the equation IMO he may be on the roster in Columbus but I wouldn't be surprised to see them give him his unconditional release.

Anderson was once a highly regarded prospect and cost the Tribe Steven Wright which is still a unpalatable deal to many. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the trade but I guess I'll try to reserve judgment for now. Although I don't get, getting rid of a rotation option that was near the majors unless they got a good return, this wasn't the case. I'd guess it falls more into the change of scenery category for Anderson but I'm not so sure Wright needed it. Anderson will possibly compete in spring for 1b but I'm guessing ultimately ends back up in Columbus.

Canzler probably ends up in a Shelly Duncan type role as a RH hitter off the bench or as a platoon player in LF or 1b with the option to DH too. Of all the 1b on the Tribes roster I could see Canzler get the most at bats right now.

Mike McCade is an interesting bat IMO. McCade posted some solid numbers in AA and AAA with the Jays org. The switch hitter probably lands back at AAA but gives the Tribe another option at 1b.

Chris McGuiness is an interesting and surprising Rule 5 draft pickup. McGuiness (25 in April) offers the Tribe yet another option as a 1b / LF / DH. Of course if he doesn't spend the season on the 25 man roster he has to be offered back to the Rangers. McGuiness could however develop into a real option at 1b. McGuiness won the AZFL MVP and appears ready to make a run at a big league roster spot. I'd project McGuiness with the potential to hit .260 -.270 20 hr power 20/30 dbl power which is some decent numbers if he ever reaches that potential. The McGuiness pick in the rule 5 also made some including myself wonder if the Tribe picked him to potentially include in some sort of larger / mega deal.

The Grienke signing should set the mkt in motion witht the Rangers potential front runners to land Hamilton?the Justin Upton trade rumors continue to circle which is likely affecting the potential movement of ACab as has been rumored heavily for wks. It seems like things may finally start moving and the Tribe should find something out on their offers to Swisher and Youkilis soon. Personally I'd prefer to land Reynolds to Youkilis for near similar money (2 yrs / $16 M).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ironmike » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 am

A couple of items that went unreported locally during the Winter Meetings.

1. Francona had a 30 minute talk with Matt LaPorta.

2. Shapiro and Antonetti met each morning with John Hart.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:10 am

The Sunday after the Winter Meetings conclusion.. and the stir or trade/movement seems to be just beginning..

The imminent signing of Greinke by the Dodgers has to make the Rangers perk up their ears.. The good ole boy, arm round the shoulder, awe shucks, handshake, persuasive pressure Nolan Ryan was purported to be placing on Greinke was trumped by the glitz and glitter and laid back, arrive at the game late (3rd inning or so) & make up for it by leaving early (7th inning or so) Dodger BIG BUCKS offer. Texas won't let another 'stud' wait for purpose of waiting to see what waiting for something to happen brings.. The time for the "moves" is upon the baseball world and the Rangers have seen one of their most important targets.. walk away..

So, what does this mean for the Indians?. Well, so far, the Indians are "in on" this guy and that guy for 1, 2 4 years, and $ 8 to $ 12 MM per year... and no one has signed squaaadddooouuusssccchhee.. BTW. These are all FA Bats.. primarily LF'ers or 1B's or guys posing as fielders, but, in reality, DH's.. but, still, nothing.. No FA signing of any over the hill or soon to be over the hill, under achieving skills, numbers diminishing & severely OVER PAID players to be fitted for a new uni with Chief Wahoo on it's sleeve..

And that's the GOOD NEWS!!!

Now it's time for the medicine.. the stuff that makes you pinch your nose and swallow followed quickly by vast amounts of water to dilute the awful taste left behind.. The signing of what the Indians REALLY need. Starting pitchers.. There are a handful of starting pitchers that are available on the free agent market that MUST be considered, none are named Anibal as his price tag has become "insustenible" (pronounced: In-seuss-ten-knee-blay). The Indians FO and specifically CA need to look very seriously at and in this order (priority subject to change):

Shawn Marcum: The post-surgically repaired right elbow stiffness and inconsistent performance in 2012 makes the signing of this guy more than a bit of a risk. He was able to finish out the season, but not very effectively. No more than a make good contract, perhaps one year, would be appropriate, but, it would be a big year for him, perhaps $ 10 MM?

Carlos Villanueva: Care should be taken with this RH'er as he's shown a penchant for starting off the season like his hair is on fire only to be dogged by the dog days of summer. He's big, talented and was cheap ($ 2.28 MM in 2012) He's a solid citizen who could command a two plus one or four year contract 'escalating' into the $ 16 - $ 24 MM range.

John Lannan: has survived an incredibly odd set of circumstances while toiling for the Washington Nationals over the last five years. He absolutely / desperately needs a change of scenery. This LHSP stunt double for Stephen Strasburg should command a contract similar to Villanueva..

Jair Jurrjens: went from being an NL Cy Young candidate to being DFA'd in a matter of one year. After two seasons of sub three ERA's, Jair forgot where home plate was. He's not what could be called a power pitcher, nor could he be considered a control pitcher. What he should be called is a NRI with a spring training invite..PASS

A signing of one of these guy or perhaps two could make this off season seem a bit more successful. The real success will be coming when this log jam of trades breaks and the Indians are calling the tailor to measure at least two new, young SP's for uni's with Chief Wahoo on their sleeve...

Edit: Ooops.. forgot one other name: Francisco Liriano. His history is well documented and would fit in around the John Lannan or above area of this listing..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Personally I stay away from Fancisco Liriano...don't need a lefty Ubaldo Camonandez on the team.

Of the names mentioned I like Marcum & Villanuaeva.

I should add that I dislike both if either were the primary addition, ie no Asdrubal trade or any sort of deal to bring in a pitcher.

On that note, for the money they're tossing around for 30+ year old DH types I would think Edwin Jackson is on their shopping list.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 pm

No thanks on Shaun Marcum. He barely gets 90 on the radar gun and struggled with an aching elbow last yr with previous TJ surgery too I'd pass. Liriano is a guy the Tribe had interest in last yr so I could see it getting done if they can sign him on a one yr deal on the cheap with incentives.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm

The Dodgers landed Ryu for 6 yrs / $36 M with $6 M in incentives (potentially $42 M total) and an opt. out after 5 yrs and 750 innings pitched. The deal includes a $5 M signing bonus. The Ryu signing might take the Dodgers out of the mkt for Anibal Sanchez and Kyle Lohse.

Bob Nightengale says the Dodgers will now turn to trades for pitching depth. Dee Gordon??? Will they trade Gordon, Capuano or Harang to land younger arms? Their rotation is 8 deep with Zach Lee waiting in the wings in the minors. There are at least 4 notable pitchers the Dodgers could have their eyes on in trades: Ricky Nolasco, James Shields, Jeremy Hellickson and RA Dickey.

My thought is will teams like the Angels and Rangers turn to Sanchez and Lohse or are they looking else where, particularly the Rangers who are linked to James Shields in the mega deal rumors.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

I worry about 1B because of the other options there. LaPorta was outrighted and about time. Canzler, Anderson, McDade (who I like a lot) and McGuinness don't inspire confidence at all when talking about splitting AB's between BOTH DH and 1B AND potentially an OF spot.

As much help the team needs to improve the rotation somehow, the Indians lineup will be a mockery running out there with the likes of the names mentioned above filling them.

I'm not a fan of running out too many of the guys you mentioned either, just saying I don't think Reynolds and Youk are the only options at 1B. Not an ideal guy but if Carlos Pena was cheap enough could be an option. Really fell off last year but still has power. A lefty so not ideal but Tribe looked at him last year. Luke Scott could be an option at DH. Had that terrible stretch but OPS+ actually over 100 and OPS wasn't much worse than Youk's (.724 vs .745). Again another lefty but could be a fallback option. Definitely would prefer Youk and/or Reynolds over Pena or Scott though. An out of the box idea could be A.J. Pierzynski and moving Santana from behind the dish.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:35 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Dodgers landed Ryu for 6 yrs / $36 M with $6 M in incentives (potentially $42 M total) and an opt. out after 5 yrs and 750 innings pitched. The deal includes a $5 M signing bonus. The Ryu signing might take the Dodgers out of the mkt for Anibal Sanchez and Kyle Lohse.

Bob Nightengale says the Dodgers will now turn to trades for pitching depth. Dee Gordon??? Will they trade Gordon, Capuano or Harang to land younger arms? Their rotation is 8 deep with Zach Lee waiting in the wings in the minors. There are at least 4 notable pitchers the Dodgers could have their eyes on in trades: Ricky Nolasco, James Shields, Jeremy Hellickson and RA Dickey.

My thought is will teams like the Angels and Rangers turn to Sanchez and Lohse or are they looking else where, particularly the Rangers who are linked to James Shields in the mega deal rumors.

While you cant make direct comparison's from the SK-League to the Major Leagues, the cost for this unproven lefty with the sub-3 ERA is about $ 11 MM/year. If not for the deep pockets of the Dodgers, Ryu would still be plying his wares in the SK-League..

As far as the Dodgers new approach w/r to the likes of Capuano and Lilly and Harang, why would anyone want to give up anything of value for those guys?. Ready or not, these are the BOR SP's that block the opportunities for kids with brilliant futures sitting in AA and AAA ball.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Here's a link from the Dbax perspective re: moving pitching for a SS...
http://venomstrikes.com/2012/12/09/diam ... ake-deals/
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:06 pm

According to Heyman we are close to signing Mark Reynolds
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 pm

JP_Frost wrote:According to Heyman we are close to signing Mark Reynolds

Just heard this. Great News! Much prefer him to Youk. Glenn Moore & Hoynes saying the same thing.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 pm

It's a one-year deal worth $6MM
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:25 pm

JP_Frost wrote:It's a one-year deal worth $6MM

Can reach $7.5 million with incentives.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:29 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
JP_Frost wrote:It's a one-year deal worth $6MM

Can reach $7.5 million with incentives.

Well done. Cheap for decent production.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm

I really like the Reynolds move wish it had an option for 2 yrs. I know Reynolds K's too much but adding this power to the lineup will help out tremendously to a team that lacked pop and a RH hitter to boot. Glad the Tribe saved a little on Reynolds too, maybe they actually 'invest' it elsewhere.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Now they have more cash to go after pitching. Or Swisher.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Agree with everyone, solid signing.

I wouldn't hate Youk at 1B and Reynolds DH but sounds like that is still a long shot. Agree with Rocky, more money to use on pitching and/or Swisher. Getting Swisher on top of Reynolds would be big.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Seriously. way prefer 1 yr up to $7.5 million for Reynolds to 2 yrs $18 million for Youk. Reynolds is not hopeless against RHP either.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Another thought is if the Tribe is out of the divisional race at the deadline Reynolds could become 'a hired bat'. I'd love to see him slug 30-40 hrs with the Tribe next season he strikes out an embarrassing amount but has the potential to get 60-70 extra base hits too, something I think this team needs desperately.

Curious, who comes off the 40 man to add Reynolds... McCade?, Anderson?, Huff?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:45 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Another thought is if the Tribe is out of the divisional race at the deadline Reynolds could become 'a hired bat'. I'd love to see him slug 30-40 hrs with the Tribe next season he strikes out an embarrassing amount but has the potential to get 60-70 extra base hits too, something I think this team needs desperately.

Hopefully Anderson, although they might keep him to not make that trade look stupid. Who knows what Wright does in Boston.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:50 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Another thought is if the Tribe is out of the divisional race at the deadline Reynolds could become 'a hired bat'. I'd love to see him slug 30-40 hrs with the Tribe next season he strikes out an embarrassing amount but has the potential to get 60-70 extra base hits too, something I think this team needs desperately.

Think Huff, Hermman, Phelps, Neal and Carrera are options to be let go. Huff is out of options I think(?) and don't see him winning the 5th spot. Maybe a long man in the pen but at this point don't think it's a huge loss if he walks.

Maybe a trade is in the works too?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

Think Huff, Hermman, Phelps, Neal and Carrera are options to be let go. Huff is out of options I think(?) and don't see him winning the 5th spot. Maybe a long man in the pen but at this point don't think it's a huge loss if he walks.

Maybe a trade is in the works too?

That's where Anderson is valuable. Teams give you more if you don't include him.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Reynolds and Swisher would be a solid foundation, if we can manage to sign Swisher. Still need pitching though.. badly.
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Tony posted that we're out on talks with Youkilis. Guess he can't use us to drive up his price now.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Tony posted that we're out on talks with Youkilis. Guess he can't use us to drive up his price now.

I'm glad the Tribe was pro-active here and didn't wait around forever to see what Youk would decide. Wonder if the Yanks may alter their offer as they may be bidding against themselves and may not need to even go $12M now.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby BrianM » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Rocky55 wrote:Tony posted that we're out on talks with Youkilis. Guess he can't use us to drive up his price now.

Sad but true.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby timdav » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Never thought I'd be happy the day a .221 hitter would get $6 million to play 1b in the majors. Wow! That's just the price of players in 2012+.

Glad the Tribe, nevertheless, made the move.

Now, about that starting pitching upgrade. LOL. Fingers crossed!
timdav
Draft Prospect

Postby Rocky55 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

I'm glad the Tribe was pro-active here and didn't wait around forever to see what Youk would decide. Wonder if the Yanks may alter their offer as they may be bidding against themselves and may not need to even go $12M now.

That's good work by the FO. If this becomes a practice, I mean not letting players drag negotiations out, it might be a deterrent to that annoying practice. Let Boras et al pick on some other team.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Some pointless but fun numbers for ya on Reynolds...

OPS in odd years:

2007: .843
2009: .892
2011: .806
2013: ???

OPS in even years:

2008: .779
2010: .753
2012: .763

Clearly we're getting an .800+ OPS Reynolds :cool
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 pm

I'm glad to see the Indians lock up Reynolds. Most fans will rip him for the K's and BA. Youk was questionable anywhere not Fenway or U.S. Cellular Field last season, so while 2 years 18-20 million might not be as huge a gamble as it seems, 1 year for 6-7.5 million is simply better business. Especially if the Indians turn some of the saved money offered to Youk into Swisher or even Edwin Jackson etc.

BTW I think McGuinness gets moved somehow.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors