RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Bring up Fedroff?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Bring up Fedroff?

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:37 am

I can't stand any more of Aaron Cunningham. He struck out again last night and his swing looked awful. I liked Ubaldo Jimenez's swing better.

Tim Fedroff is hitting .317 with an OBP of .404 between Akron and Columbus. Since being called up to Columbus he's hitting .370 in 46 at-bats. Yeah, I know he's left-handed and has no power, and but he's got to be better than Cunningham, right?

I don't know about his defense in left field, but Cunningham is nothing special. I'm not saying Fedroff is the next Jason Kipnis just waiting for a chance. I know he's seen as a low ceiling, 4th OF type. Trevor Crowe might be a better option once he has a couple more weeks to get back in the flow. But Fedroff is hot right now and he's earned a chance. Is there any reason not to bring him up given Cunningham's performance and the fact that we don't have any decent right-handed bats in the system?

I have to believe that Fedroff and Crowe would both be upgrades over Cunningham. How long are the Indians going to wait before giving one of them a shot?

There's also Matt LaPorta, of course, but he's not exactly a late inning defensive replacement. If they're going to bring him up I'd like to see him play every day.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Re: Bring up Fedroff?

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:15 am

Can't see Federoff up in Cleveland at this point. Now Crowe is an option IMHO.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I can't stand any more of Aaron Cunningham. He struck out again last night and his swing looked awful. I liked Ubaldo Jimenez's swing better.

Tim Fedroff is hitting .317 with an OBP of .404 between Akron and Columbus. Since being called up to Columbus he's hitting .370 in 46 at-bats. Yeah, I know he's left-handed and has no power, and but he's got to be better than Cunningham, right?

I don't know about his defense in left field, but Cunningham is nothing special. I'm not saying Fedroff is the next Jason Kipnis just waiting for a chance. I know he's seen as a low ceiling, 4th OF type. Trevor Crowe might be a better option once he has a couple more weeks to get back in the flow. But Fedroff is hot right now and he's earned a chance. Is there any reason not to bring him up given Cunningham's performance and the fact that we don't have any decent right-handed bats in the system?

I have to believe that Fedroff and Crowe would both be upgrades over Cunningham. How long are the Indians going to wait before giving one of them a shot?

There's also Matt LaPorta, of course, but he's not exactly a late inning defensive replacement. If they're going to bring him up I'd like to see him play every day.

Fedroff would be an improvement over both OF replacements currently on the roster.. He;s not on the 40 man roster, but that wouldn't be an issue if either/or Cunningham/Duncan are DFA'd & sent through waivers where undoubtedly they'd both NOT be claimed.. IF they were claimed..so what.. Other names to consider for the Bench Bunch would be Jason Donald Cord Phelps, Matt LaPorta (all on the 40 man roster) and Jared Goedert (who would take one of the 40 man roster spots). None of these guys would be considered as superior defensive replacement level players, but, the guys who they're replacing are the problem.. One can't hit or field (Duncan).. the other can't hit (Cunningham: and yes.. his AB last evening was pathetic)..

As far as bringing up anyone, like Matt LaPorta last stint.. If they're going to get 11 AB's in 8 games, why bother?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:32 pm

As far as bringing up anyone, like Matt LaPorta last stint.. If they're going to get 11 AB's in 8 games, why bother?..

Every now and then Cunningham ends up getting an at-bat in a close game with a RISP, like last night. I'd just like to have somebody who MIGHT get a hit.

What's the point of having a guy on your 25-man roster who has no role other than a late inning defensive replacement in left field? LEFT FIELD! Not exactly a key defensive position. I don't think I've ever seen a roster spot used for a left field defensive replacement.

I suppose Cunningham is also there to play center if Brantley gets hurt during a game. Well, Fedroff is a center fielder, so he could also back up Brantley. If he (or Crowe) would be an upgrade, why keep Cunningham around? It's not like he's a valuable prospect who might be claimed if we try to send him down.

How can the Indians have not one, but two left fielders who are both hitting below .200? Cunningham and Duncan have combined for 196 at-bats, 4 HRs, 15 RBI, and a .194 BA. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Today was painful to watch. Was this left just another lefty?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Today was painful to watch. Was this left just another lefty?

This comment goes in the game thread, not the Fedroff thread. However, it appears some of these rookie lefties that teams have been dragging up out of the minors to beat the Indians are pretty good.

For example, the White Sox brought up Quintana, who throttled the Tribe in his first two big league appearances. But now he's started five games and his ERA is 1.53. It's not just the Indians who can't hit him.

Today's starter, Dallas Keuchel, pitched six days ago against Texas on the road and held them to one run in five innings. Not bad.

Still, we're now 5-14 against lefty starters. I'd say you don't have to be that good a pitcher to beat the Tribe as long as you're left-handed.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:Today was painful to watch. Was this left just another lefty?

This comment goes in the game thread, not the Fedroff thread. However, it appears some of these rookie lefties that teams have been dragging up out of the minors to beat the Indians are pretty good.

For example, the White Sox brought up Quintana, who throttled the Tribe in his first two big league appearances. But now he's started five games and his ERA is 1.53. It's not just the Indians who can't hit him.

Today's starter, Dallas Keuchel, pitched six days ago against Texas on the road and held them to one run in five innings. Not bad.

Still, we're now 5-14 against lefty starters. I'd say you don't have to be that good a pitcher to beat the Tribe as long as you're left-handed.

The way you combat LHP's is by having RH hitters who hit LHP's.. Duncan can't hit a ball off a tee, let alone one thrown through the air from the pitcher's mound.. Cunningham is helpless.. I'd rather see JeanMar Gomez swing a bat.. At least the bat and the ball end up in the same area code...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 am

I kind of disagree, Chief. We can't count on Duncan and Cunningham to provide the offense when we face a lefty. The guys that need to step up are Asdrubal, Santana, and Lopez - three guys who can actually hit right-handed. We also need a couple of the left-handed bats to come through against left-handed pitching. I'm not giving these guys a pass just because a lefty is on the mound. Kipnis got three hits off Kuechel last night, but he was the only left-handed hitter who did anything.

When facing a lefty the Tribe needs:

1. A strong 7 inning performance by the starting pitcher to take the game directly to Vinnie and Rage, bypassing the vulnerable front end of the pen.

2. Production from the legitimate right-handed bats in the lineup.

3. A couple of key hits from lefties.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ironmike » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 am

Asking rookies to fill utility roles is always difficult. They don't keep their edge from playing full time in the minors, lose confidence and it just doesn't work.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Fedroff is a poor fit off the bench for this team. Marginal offensive player and is left-handed. Also, he is just not a very good defender that you bring in to play defense or mix in all three outfield spots. He can handle them all, but he's average at best defensively. He's one of those tweener guys and is a better fit for a team that has an all right-handed hitting outfield if you ask me. Might be a good platoon guy in LF.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors