RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Chris Perez goes Pure Rage on Cleveland fans

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Chris Perez goes Pure Rage on Cleveland fans

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Chris Perez pitched like a beast to close out the game today....then still managed to piss off almost every single marginal or casual fan and many well educated and passionate fans, writers, bloggers etc with his comments after the game.

http://networkedblogs.com/xQzkN
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Chris Perez goes Pure Rage on Cleveland fans

Postby ChadS17 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Probably not the best way to go about making the point, but he is right.
Last edited by ChadS17 on Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I more or less agree with him on various points, but he's an idiot for going on record with it. You're a professional, getting paid lots of money, you're supposed to be representing your team whenever you're out in the public eye. When you say things that can damage the reputation of yourself, you damage the image of the team by extension. That's extremely unprofessional and he should honestly know better. But he's Pure Rage. It's sort of like being angry at Manny Ramirez for not giving 100% on defense.

But as much as people like to rag on about fan support sucking (it does), it has very little to do with why the Indians are a small market team. The $120MM or so gap in television revenue is the real gap between them and the Yankees, Angels, Red Sox and Phillies of the game. Even if the team was close to selling out... even if you were to add a million fans a year, you'd only be raising revenue by $20M-$30M dollars at the current average ticket price (and being generous and assuming some additional revenue for food, drinks, merchandise). Even if the Indians could make as much as the bigger teams at the gate, and that's a longshot considering they have to lower ticket prices because of their market, they're never going to cover that television revenue difference.

What is undoubtedly true about the Indians fanbase is that it's obsessively negative. Truth be told, I don't really like it. I get tired of hearing the same old stupid arguments about the Dolans being cheap. I get tired of everyone obsessively looking over every negative thing Shapiro/Antonetti have done, while completely ignoring the good they have done. They didn't build a contending team the easy way. This team is worth getting excited about, and worth supporting. But the media coverage, both in the papers and in various blogs, is always negative. I don't think I've seen so much negative press about a first place team... ever. Why don't people talk more about things like Jason Kipnis being awesome, Carlos Santana being perhaps an all-star catcher, Shin-Soo Choo putting it together, ACab having another fantastic season, Vinnie Pestano and Nick Hagadone being absolute beasts, the Indians once again having one of the best bullpens in the league or any other of the many positive stories that you could spin out of this team?

I mean, Jack Hannahan is an amazing story considering how he made this team last year and where he is now (not on the DL... you know what I mean). But the most I've seen on him is one post by WFNY. But everyone wants to be negative on this team, because they've decided to be bitter about the ownership. Because they've decided to hold a grudge against the men who decided to trade CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Bartolo Colon, Victor Martinez and Roberto Alomar. It's frustrating and sad to see this constant wave of antipathy and cynicism. The Indians are in first? "Yeah, but they'll fold just like they did last year". Really?

This team was an 80 win team last year, seemingly out of nowhere and DESPITE a huge rash of injuries to key players. They did absolutely nothing to get worse this off-season, and yet the locals were saying this team would be awful, would struggle to win 75 games. Because they didn't get Beltran or Carlos Lee (who signed elsewhere not because of money, reportedly). Because they signed Casey Kotchman, and that wasn't good enough. And that's maddening to me, and I can imagine it's frustrating to guys like Chris Perez. And I don't doubt for a second that it could drive potential free agents away. If you're Carlos Beltran, given equal contracts, would you rather go to St. Louis or Cleveland? Even if the team situations were the same, you'd say St. Louis because their fans are the best in baseball.

Still, he's an idiot for making those kinds of comments to the press. He's had it rough this season from Tribe fans, so I can understand it. Tribe fans are rough on some of their players (Kotchman, Damon, Grady, and Ubaldo get it worse). Since last year, he's been dealing with people saying he can't pitch in non-save situations, that Pestano should be the closer, that he's not worth the money he got in arbitration, that we should trade him for a RH bat, and just generally acting like they don't want him. It is awful, but at the end of the day he has to be better than that.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sun May 20, 2012 8:35 am

Stupidest comments I have heard from an Indian in a long time.

I believe the vast majority of Indians fans liked and supported Chris Perez. Hearing a few boos when a closer gets in trouble isn't something new. I thought a closer had thick skin anyway.

Remember, the last time he pitched he pitched in front of a big crowd was opening day. That didn't turn out well for him. Maybe some fans remember that.

How does he expect Indian fans to greet him now, after he has insulted them and their town? How does the front office do damage control. In one interview he has gone from a fan favorite to just another spoiled athlete.

I predict his career in Cleveland is over. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but soon. I hope he enjoys SoCal, where the weather is warm, the pay is good, and the fans just don't care.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun May 20, 2012 8:56 am

As long as he closes out games like he did yesterday I don't give a rat's ass what he says.

Plus, he's absolutely right. He said he has no issue with being booed for his performance on Opening Day because he deserved it. But he's pissed that he's still getting booed after converting 13 straight save situations, and I would be, too. Nobody should be booing this guy, not after the season he had last year, and not now when the Indians are in first place and he's leading the A.L. in saves. Anybody who is booing Perez right now is the idiot, not Perez. I'm fine with a little honesty in place of the usual "I just want to help the ballclub" garbage.

Any fan booing Perez deserves to be insulted.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Sun May 20, 2012 10:30 am

I kind of sympathize with Perez too. Out here in Northern California we watched Brian Wilson give up a lot of baserunners when the Giants won the WS, and he didn't get booed. The media and fans just picked up on this little odd habit of his, needing multiple runners on base before he would shut the opponent down, and called it "torture" baseball.

Even made up shirts and banners with the torture label, and the fans (and Wilson) just embraced it.

Based on his recent performance, maybe the fans should chant "piss off Chris" when he comes to the mound.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun May 20, 2012 9:16 pm

The comments about how Chris Perez shouldn't be going through the media to speak his mind are JUST WRONG. SPEAK UP CHRIS.. tell the fans what you are really thinking.. don't let your opinions become watered down and filtered and "agendized" for other's apparent benefit.

A breath of fresh air and honesty is what CP offers the fans.. {standing O!!!}
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:07 pm

I applaud chris perez for speaking his mind. Sometimes the truth hurts. I am critical of the way the indians do business and they still need to do a better job evaluating talent and stocking their farm system,

that being said, this team is in first place. They have one of the best young players at their positions at catcher and SS. Alot of teams would kill to have carlos santana and asdrubal cabrera on their team. They would love to have a consistent closer like chris perez and be in first place.

I keep hearing the morons in this city say, "look at last year, or when dolan spends the money-then we will come out and support the team"

Do these idiots realize dolan is not running the team any different that dick jacobs in spending money. Name one FA or home grown talent that dick jacobs opened up the bank account for?

If there is any criticism of this ownership/FO is that they have not been good with drafting elite players. In the 90's, we drafted belle, ramirez, and thome, along with charles nagy chad ogea, and got lucky with dennis martinez and orel hershiser.

All the people railing on the derek lowe, and johnny damon signings are the same kind of signings that the indians did in the 90's. The indians of the 90's drafted or traded for great players and had the luxury of knowing their division sucked and they were going to win the division on day 1.

The indians of today have to deal with a good detroit team, chicago whitesox team, and for the most part have dealt with a good minnesota twins team. How were those teams in the 90's.

The indians are in first place and if fans want to be no-shows, then don't complain when carlos santana and asdrubal are FA's and we have to trade them or let them go. Nobody is asking you to buy season tickets. It wouldn't hurt to support a winning team in this town instead of the pathetic so called football team along the lake.

Oh i forgot, "this is a browns town" . That's fine, continue getting burned by the front office and ownership of the browns that continue to crap on the city and take your money.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby ironmike » Mon May 21, 2012 7:51 am

You don't win championships with all choir boys. Let him shout, speak his mind, this is nothing compared to the Oakland A's and other teams from the past.

Would like to see a little more communication and swagger from a few other Cleveland Indians, mostly Michael Brantley.
ironmike
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am

Chris Perez has the right to say whatever he wants.

I agree Perez should not be booed. However, if a fan pays money, and sits in a 45 degree stadium for 9 innings and gets upset about putting runners on base. That's their right too.

Perez irritating the fan base is not the way to win friends.

When the team president has to then have a press conference to try to smooth things out, then you know the player said something stupid.

Playing MLB is a rare privilege, not a constitutional right. Most players understand that. Willie Mays got booed at the end of his career. It doesn't make it right. But it's part of the game.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 pm

...Perez irritating the fan base is not the way to win friends.....
I don't think he irritated the fan base (even though that's how it's being couched).. I think he energized the fan base.. Now they have a target not name Mr Dolan to aim their ire and rath at....Good for Chris Perez !..

btw.. as long as CP stays at or around 90 % save conversions.. I hope he makes this a WEEKLY outRAGEous moment !!..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 am

Seems as if the press everywhere is taking a liking to what Chris Perez is saying about fan support and the reasoning behind it. (Excluding the Plain Dull-er and the Akron Beacon Urinal, who focused on their part / culpability in the negativity). I was in Salt Lake City through last night and read this article by Brad Rock of the Deseret News:

..As it turns out, the fans actually do matter.

At least if you ask Cleveland Indians pitcher Chris Perez.

Perez sounded off last weekend when he complained to the media that fans weren’t coming to see first-place Cleveland in large enough numbers. He called the team’s average of 15,188 “a slap in the face.”

Interesting. I’ve always considered it mostly disingenuous “maintenance talk” when players praised their fans. I figured players would compete in an empty gym in Greenland if the money was good enough. Fans were a peripheral matter. During this year’s playoffs, Jazz forward Josh Howard said the fan support in Utah was a major reason he signed a contract to play here. Al Jefferson has often cited fan support as a major incentive.

Now comes word from at least one major leaguer who truly believes fan support is a huge factor in choosing where to play.

“Nobody wants to play in front of 5,000 fans,” Perez said. “We know the weather stinks, but people see that (low attendance). Other players know that.

”You had a choice of playing in St. Louis where you get 40,000 like (Carlos) Beltran chose to do, or you can come to Cleveland.”

Wow. Harsh.

Which brings us to the Jazz and their fans. Utah is often mentioned among the consistently supportive crowds in the NBA, in both numbers and noise. In 2011-12, the Jazz’s 19,306 home attendance average was sixth-best in the league, ahead of such glamorous teams as the Lakers and Clippers. That was 97 percent of capacity, which was 12th-best in the league, right behind the Spurs.

At any rate, if baseball’s Perez is correct in saying that attendance and support are major factors, that increases the Jazz’s odds of signing top free agents.

Interesting.. Salt Lake City has one professional sports franchise.. This kind of "coverage" is pretty much what's being written EVERYWHERE..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors