RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Arizona League: Tribe has 5 of top 20 prospects

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Arizona League: Tribe has 5 of top 20 prospects

Postby elrod enchilada » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:19 pm

elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Re: Arizona League: Tribe has 5 of top 20 prospects

Postby artgold » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Pretty good showing, considering it is a 13 team league.

That is a load of recognition.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 am

elrod enchilada wrote:per Baseball America-- http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 12367.html

Kind of interesting list. Guess the biggest surprise to me was Sterling being ranked comparatively low. Only one draftee which means we are getting some value from international prospects. Wonder how this will compare to MV? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:23 am

That isn't really a bad placement for Sterling, considering the number of teams in the league.

I was a little surprised that Robel Garcia didn't make the listing. His combination of speed, power and ability to get walks was pretty good for an 18 year old kid.

Good extra base hit rate along with ability to take a walk. Strikeout rate a bit high, but at 18...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:38 am

Could someone with a BA sub relay what was said in their chat about the Tribe players?
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:34 am

artgold wrote:That isn't really a bad placement for Sterling, considering the number of teams in the league.

I was a little surprised that Robel Garcia didn't make the listing. His combination of speed, power and ability to get walks was pretty good for an 18 year old kid.

Good extra base hit rate along with ability to take a walk. Strikeout rate a bit high, but at 18...

Not a bad placement for Sterling but surprised he was eligible for Arizona and placed behind Sisco. He has a long way to go but his ceiling looks higher. Only saw a bit of Garcia at ST and his defense was pretty rough when I watched him but he has a nice bat action. A little long right now but as you said, he is 18. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 pm

first question was on Garcia who they say was close and would have made it if they had gone 25 deep
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Nypl top 2 out at BA:

Tony wolters at 7th (seems appropriate)
Jake lowery at 17th
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:48 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:Nypl top 2 out at BA:

Tony wolters at 7th (seems appropriate)
Jake lowery at 17th

Yeah, Lowery seems about right at 17 too. Not totally surprised that Jordan Smith and Bryson Miles did not make it because of their lack of dingers. Smith was 4th in ribbies but may not have more than gap power at this time and questionable defense. What say Andrew and other scrapperites? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

I think Smith is pretty good defensively based on only a couple of views. I like Myles better and thought he'd be top 20 in that league...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:53 pm

The Tribe whiffs on BA's top 20 prospects list for the midwest league.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:The Tribe whiffs on BA's top 20 prospects list for the midwest league.

I was a bit surprised that Jesus Aguilar did not make the list as the list since he was probably the top young slugging prospect in the league. However, BA has a vested interest in having its early prospect ratings of players confirmed by the rankings of full season prospects. Improves the market for its opinions. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
elrod enchilada wrote:The Tribe whiffs on BA's top 20 prospects list for the midwest league.

I was a bit surprised that Jesus Aguilar did not make the list as the list since he was probably the top young slugging prospect in the league. However, BA has a vested interest in having its early prospect ratings of players confirmed by the rankings of full season prospects. Improves the market for its opinions. :pleasantry:

said he has horrid defense, and might not hit for any average. All he is is a power bat at this point was their view
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 am

jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

said he has horrid defense, and might not hit for any average. All he is is a power bat at this point was their view

Yeah, there is no demand for young power prospects with questionable fielding like Montero. And I can see that his BA is a concern when he ranked 11th instead of 2nd like he did in OPS and slugging. Typical BA BS. I imagine they used the same rationale for Ron Rodriguez since the only SS with more power was Dietrich, an old guy. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 am

Carolina was a big shutout in prospects for the Indians except for the traded Pomeranz. I would expect much the same in Akron.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby petes999 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:45 am

Shows how loopsided our system is ... great upper levels with likes of Kipnis, Chisenhall, Satana(last year), ... but than nothing until Lindor, Rodriquez squared, Wolters, ... come up -- other than a depth of talent that rank in the 150 - 400 range but get no respect by BA or others.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:25 am

Sum up BA
Haley got consideration as a future dominate CL to them but everything has to break exactly right

Soto knows how to pitch but is too limited, pitches are average , still could make majors

Should be noted every single chat has been on how the talent of the league is way down. I mean every single one. Its weird to think that talent in the minors is down, but it seems this year to last year is a HUGE difference in every league. Guys who would have rated 10th last year would be top 3 this year. Just an interesting point.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:50 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Carolina was a big shutout in prospects for the Indians except for the traded Pomeranz. I would expect much the same in Akron.

Think it'll depend on the eligibility as guys like CC Lee pitched more at Akron but not sure they pitched enough to get consideration from BA? Maybe he still doesn't make the list but think he's got a real shot.

Same with Chen...though his catching ability will go a long way there. Depends how you view him, if they don't think he can catch no way top 20...but 16 HRs and a decent OPS from a catcher is pretty solid.

Doubt Mills makes the list but would be a guy I'd want to get an outside opinion on.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Carolina was a big shutout in prospects for the Indians except for the traded Pomeranz. I would expect much the same in Akron.

Think it'll depend on the eligibility as guys like CC Lee pitched more at Akron but not sure they pitched enough to get consideration from BA? Maybe he still doesn't make the list but think he's got a real shot.

Same with Chen...though his catching ability will go a long way there. Depends how you view him, if they don't think he can catch no way top 20...but 16 HRs and a decent OPS from a catcher is pretty solid.

Doubt Mills makes the list but would be a guy I'd want to get an outside opinion on.

I agree that these would be the most likely candidates but not sure Lee makes a big dent as a RP who is not young. Chen has pitch recognition issues and his defense and would be more likely if he only had one. I think Mills has come a long way but he is a bit long in the tooth to be much on the prospect list, I would think. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 pm

It should come as no surprise that Akron was shut out on the Eastern League Top 20 Prospects list.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:It should come as no surprise that Akron was shut out on the Eastern League Top 20 Prospects list.

chen got support from scouts and non from managers, think bodied non athletic

Adams was akrons top prospect but issue is that he is a reliever more than likely but he does have a durable frame to be a starter, seems like it will come down to his breaking pitch

BA eastern league sum up
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby petes999 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:37 pm

International League is out

7 = Kipnis
10 - Chisenhall

Just missed top - 20 were Phelps and Barnes (along with 2 other guys mentions Oliver and Gibson) ... surprised by Phelps as they usually do a bit more on projection than just stats ....
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Not sure were to put this buts its from Law's blog, and thought it would be interesting to many. Law does like upside 2 years ago he had abreu in the top ten. I know people don;t like him, but I feel like he does have a better feel than any other singular person who scouts the minors

• Two rather large individuals have impressed with their raw power. Cleveland's Jesus Aguilar, 21 years old, 6-3 and 257 pounds, hit a homer over the (very tall) batter's eye in Peoria, past the 410-foot sign, and followed it up with a pair of hard-hit doubles. He has power, but also has shown some bat speed and ability to pull pitches that might be too far away for the average hitter to pull. St. Louis' Matt Adams (if ever a ballplayer needed the nickname "Big Sexy," Adams would be it) shows incredibly easy power from the left side, and moves pretty well for someone his size, although he's a first base/DH-only type like Aguilar. Adams is a year older than Aguilar but his approach isn't as strong, so while I'd give Adams the better hit tool grade I'd also call him a higher risk.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:49 am

jellis wrote:Not sure were to put this buts its from Law's blog, and thought it would be interesting to many. Law does like upside 2 years ago he had abreu in the top ten. I know people don;t like him, but I feel like he does have a better feel than any other singular person who scouts the minors

• Two rather large individuals have impressed with their raw power. Cleveland's Jesus Aguilar, 21 years old, 6-3 and 257 pounds, hit a homer over the (very tall) batter's eye in Peoria, past the 410-foot sign, and followed it up with a pair of hard-hit doubles. He has power, but also has shown some bat speed and ability to pull pitches that might be too far away for the average hitter to pull. St. Louis' Matt Adams (if ever a ballplayer needed the nickname "Big Sexy," Adams would be it) shows incredibly easy power from the left side, and moves pretty well for someone his size, although he's a first base/DH-only type like Aguilar. Adams is a year older than Aguilar but his approach isn't as strong, so while I'd give Adams the better hit tool grade I'd also call him a higher risk.

There are others on this board who are far better at ranking prospects than I am. But with everything I have read, seen, and heard about Jesus Aguilar, I think he should be very highly ranked in Tony's next book. Extremely high, if you know what I mean. What a 2011 season he had, and post-season.
I know he has his flaws, but look how much he has grown in the past couple of years. Wait till his skills catch up to his body.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:There are others on this board who are far better at ranking prospects than I am. But with everything I have read, seen, and heard about Jesus Aguilar, I think he should be very highly ranked in Tony's next book. Extremely high, if you know what I mean. What a 2011 season he had, and post-season.
I know he has his flaws, but look how much he has grown in the past couple of years. Wait till his skills catch up to his body.

I'll tell you one thing....compiling the Top 10....20....50...100 prospects for the Indians this year is frustrating but exciting at the same time. It has been pretty easy to determine the Top 10-20 the past few years, but this year there should be a ton of volatility between lists from national experts, etc. I know my Top 20 is VERY young.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:14 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:There are others on this board who are far better at ranking prospects than I am. But with everything I have read, seen, and heard about Jesus Aguilar, I think he should be very highly ranked in Tony's next book. Extremely high, if you know what I mean. What a 2011 season he had, and post-season.

I'll tell you one thing....compiling the Top 10....20....50...100 prospects for the Indians this year is frustrating but exciting at the same time. It has been pretty easy to determine the Top 10-20 the past few years, but this year there should be a ton of volatility between lists from national experts, etc. I know my Top 20 is VERY young.

Very VERY young when two of the top three are 18 year old high school kids who haven't done much of anything besides get some work in at Instructs...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

Very VERY young when two of the top three are 18 year old high school kids who haven't done much of anything besides get some work in at Instructs...

18 year old? Hell, Lindor is still only 17 for another 2 weeks almost. Kid should still be a Senior in High School, not the #1 prospect in the system. Agree, Very young is indeed.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Rocky55 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:

18 year old? Hell, Lindor is still only 17 for another 2 weeks almost. Kid should still be a Senior in High School, not the #1 prospect in the system. Agree, Very young is indeed.

I haven't been around much lately so I don't know if this has been mentioned; MLB Bonus Baby has a link to a couple of BP articles on the effect of age differences of HS draftees regarding their expected performance. I'll let everyone read the articles themselves instead of paraphrasing them. Suffice to say, we may be thanking the FO later for drafting Lindor. The data is quite dramatic & well worth reading.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby JP_Frost » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah, I saw those stories as well (I think I linked them in another thread). Didn't read much of it though.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Return to Indians Prospect Talk