RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Draft Signing Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Draft Signing Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:44 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Sol Solis wrote:I also read them and he mentioned twice that Lindor was telling the Indians that he was going to go to Juco and come back next to try and get more money. Not sure if that was already stated here. To me that seems like he's trying to leverage himself but who knows.

If that's the case, good riddance.

That is a HUGE blow if the Tribe doesn't sign Lindor. Seems pretty unanimous among scouts that he'd be the #1 prospect in the Tribe system. Losing that would really hurt. You have to sign him IMO.
Last edited by Hermie13 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Hermie13 wrote:That is a HUGE blow if the Tribe doesn't sign Lindor. Seems pretty unanimous among scouts that he'd be the #1 prospect in the Tribe system. Losing that would really hurt. You have to sign him IMO.

I even wonder if the Indians have been in talks with him yet.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
Sol Solis wrote:I also read them and he mentioned twice that Lindor was telling the Indians that he was going to go to Juco and come back next to try and get more money. Not sure if that was already stated here. To me that seems like he's trying to leverage himself but who knows.

That is a HUGE blow if the Tribe doesn't sign Lindor. Seems pretty unanimous among scouts that he'd be the #1 prospect in the Tribe system. Losing that would really hurt. You have to sign him IMO.

Sorry, but again, it's not that I don't like Lindor, but I'm still not in the camp to put him #1. And it wouldn't necessarily be as big of a blow if you think about it... the kid is 17 and you won't see him in the majors any time soon. You receive compensation in next year's draft PLUS another first rounder from this year... so call me crazy, but I wouldn't be overly upset. I'd be somewhat disappointed, but wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Sorry, but again, it's not that I don't like Lindor, but I'm still not in the camp to put him #1. And it wouldn't necessarily be as big of a blow if you think about it... the kid is 17 and you won't see him in the majors any time soon. You receive compensation in next year's draft PLUS another first rounder from this year... so call me crazy, but I wouldn't be overly upset. I'd be somewhat disappointed, but wouldn't lose sleep over it.

It certainly would be a HUGE blow if the Tribe doesn't sign Lindor. Lindor could have gone as high as #2 overall and is certainly better than ANY player that would be available at 9th overall next year. You can take that to the bank. Its a crazy time, especially with all of the posturing by draftees, agents, etc. I fully expect him and Tarpley to sign. The Indians/Grant do their homework before the draft. Many rumors, very little truth during this time of year. But to reiterate that fact, not signing a pure-top-flight shortstop would really sting the organization.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby criznit2009 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:39 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Agree with this... It would suck to lose Lindor, but given the vast amount of interesting middle infielder types already at A ball could be dealt with it... If Lindor is asking for the moon I definitely hesitate, but think he signs for pretty much what people expect.

Bottom line I would be SHOCKED if they don't sign Lindor -only reason would be he doesn't want to (thinks he could get A LOT more money next year/thinks Cleveland sucks and is NOT the place for him etc.)
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby daingean » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:48 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
Agree with this... It would suck to lose Lindor, but given the vast amount of interesting middle infielder types already at A ball could be dealt with it... If Lindor is asking for the moon I definitely hesitate, but think he signs for pretty much what people expect.

Bottom line I would be SHOCKED if they don't sign Lindor -only reason would be he doesn't want to (thinks he could get A LOT more money next year/thinks Cleveland sucks and is NOT the place for him etc.)

My guess is that this is his agent posturing. It is vastly important to get Lindor signed (but if his price tag is too high then that will make things more difficult). I just don't see how he can walk away from the offer the Tribe has made/will make. Too much risk with that.

I also think Tarpley is also posturing too.

In the end, I do see Lindor signing with Howard and Tarpley or Peters (could be both but my prediction is Tarpley).
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:14 pm

One down side (not the only one) to not signing Lindor would be the compensation pick would only be in effect for the next season. If the compensatory pick chooses not to sign, then there would be no further compensation. This can limit the choice the Indians make and it provides the player selected with the compensation pick leverage when it comes to signing. In the 2011 draft, the DBax eschewed 'safety' and went with Archie Bradley, a much riskier pick.. He is a highly talented HS player that may go to college, leaving the Dbax with nothing for Barret Loux, the seventh overall pick in the 2010 draft.

If you thought the 2011 draft was a bit thin at the top, the 2012 draft may be even worse. The Indians would be choosing from a small group of players. Early mock drafts have Lance McCullers RHP, Kenny Diekroeger SS, Mark Appel RHP, Gavin Cecchini SS, Jake Barrett RHP, Brian Goodwin OF, Joey Gallo 3B, Nick Williams OF, Devin Marrero SS, Kevin Gausman RHP, Lucas Giolito RHP and Victor Roache 1B & Trey Williams 3B as the top draft eligible players. Around half of these players are prep stars.

The real question becomes: Are the Indians willing to gamble that IF Lindor's signing bonus demands are too high and goes unsigned, will one of these guys be able to compensate them for the loss of Lindor & his future potential results ?

I guess we'll all find out come Monday..

ps.. While I hope the Indians are able to sign all of their top ten picks, if the Indians have a choice of signing only Francisco Lindor or Dillon Howard plus one or two more "upside" draftees, I they go with the latter and one of the upside draftees is Cole Pitts, FWIW...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby elrod enchilada » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm

We have to sign Lindor, and I expect him to sign. Likewise Howard. Just jockeying right now.

A successful draft also gets most of the other 5 top 20 pitchers: Tarpley, Brady, Armstrong, Morimando, Peters. At least three in my view for a good draft. Four of them makes me quite happy. At this point a very good draft, better than 2009 or 2010, and light years from the monkey crap drafts of 2001-2008.

Then, the icing on the cake, is grabbing one or two of the high-upside picks from later in the draft. From 24-32 there are six HS or JC guys 19 or younger. Get one or two of them, along with the above, and I will be convinced that this is the best draft in quite some time, at least at this stage of the game.

PS-- Any idea what is up with Zack MacPhee? Haven't heard hide not hair about him. Assume he is going back to ASU.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby jellis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Not sure why people are so down on Lindor. He is a plus plus defender, has a great bat, and has legit 20 HR pop. He is a rare combo and has a sky high ceiling, would be the only legit Blue chipper in this system. Lindor would be the second best middle infield spec in all of baseball behind Machado to most people. I like Wolters, but Wolters is a Kipnis lite, less power better defender. Howard should move quick for a high school arm, but I take Lindor every day of the week over Howard

As a whole we tend to under value our firsts, I was the only person to make Pom the number one prospect on this team after last year, most had him 3 to 4, and a good portion wanted to punt the pick all together. this front office knows what its doing and if they took Lindor that early its cause he can be something very special
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Francisco Lindor is a rare talent and had this not been a top heavy pitching draft with arms with FOR potential like Bradley, Bundy, Bauer and Cole... Lindor would have been off the board when the Tribe picked. This kid has legit star potential and only 17 until November (assuming they get it done --- I'm about 95% sure they will). Lindor could be a quick mover once signed. Lindor was also considered seriously at number 1 overall and number 2 overall that should say alot about the talent the Tribe snagged when they drafted him.

Personally speaking I'm not one to quickly move the newest crop of signees into the top prospect lists. Just think they have to show what got them there but there are some guys who are no brainers. Like Pomeranz was last yr I'm apprehensive typically to place a guy like Pomeranz above a guy like White. It's not a question of ability in that case but productivity. Prior to the trade and injury I had White 1a and Pomeranz 1b. Before White's injury he was IMO the better pitcher not on talent but results at a higher level. Pomeranz is / was a number 1 type pitcher, White (prior to injury) potentially a 1, but thought Pomeranz would be the better of the two. Losing White and Pomeranz was a blow but not so much with the uncertainty surrounding White. If White were still in the system he would have slipped in my prospect ranking with the additions of Lindor and Howard because of the injury and uncertainty. Pomeranz would have been 1 overall with the results he was producing.

All of this said I rated Lindor at 2 and Howard at 3 if both sign. I ranked Wolters at 1, not because I believe Wolters is better than Lindor but Wolters has already showed his talents on a professional field. Lindor and Wolters both IMO would be neck and neck as would Howard. I believe a case could be made that those three are the top three and possibly interchangeable at that. Dillon Howard could push to the majors before Lindor and possibly Wolters, that said Wolters is and advanced approach MIF and top of the order hitter. Lindor is likely to be the number 1 overall prospect once he takes a professional field. I'm glad to see the Tribe go after a player with his potential. I know some suggested he was another Omar Vizquel and quite possibly so but this kid could be a 20 hr 25 sb kind of player, although he's not super fast he's smart with an advanced baseball IQ and talent to match.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:57 pm

The question becomes: What should the contract for Francisco Lindor be?.. the 2010 draft signing bonus provides a guideline for what may become the "line in the sand":

1. Washington Nationala...Bryce Harper OF.......Signed for: $6,250,000; Recommended slot: $4,000,000
2. Pittsburgh Pirates.......Jameson Taillon RHP...Signed for: $6,500,000; Recommended slot: $3,250,000
3. Baltimore Orioles....... Manny Machado SS.....Signed for: $5,250,000; Recommended slot: $3,000,000
4. Kansas City Royals......Christian Colon SS......Signed for: $2,750,000; Recommended slot: $2,750,000
5. Cleveland Indians.......Drew Pomeranz LHP.....Signed for: $2,650,000; Recommended slot: $2,520,000
6. Arizona Diamondbacks.Barret Loux RHP........Signed for: Unsigned;....Recommended slot: $2,340,000
7. New York Mets...........Matt Harvey RHP.......Signed for: $2,525,000;.Recommended slot: $2,178,000
8. Houston Astros..........Delino DeShields 2B.....Signed for: $2,150,000; Recommended slot: $2,043,000

With regard to early picks in the 2011 draft, to date, only Trevor Bauer has signed a contract as the third overall pick in the 2011 entry draft. Bauer's deal includes a $3.4MM bonus, $4.45MM in guaranteed money along with other incentives that could approach an addition$ 7 MM for his first major league contract. So, Using the $ 3.4 MM value as the signing bonus as the third pick makes no sense. It's very clear that Bauer is a polished college pitcher and has little in common with Francisco Lindor.

So.. this posting only provides what was done last year. Perhaps a signing bonus equal to what Christian Colon or Drew Pomeranz received would be appropriate?. IDK..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby OhioBaseball » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:27 pm

I know he's not popular with Indians fans, but Keith Law commented on the draft on the Baseball Today podcast with Eric Karabell today. He said he expects every 1st round pick to sign, but he said Francisco Lindor "is the least likely" of 1st round picks to sign. He also said it'd be a big mistake for Lindor to go to JC b/c the upside risk is outweighed by the downside risk, which is hard to argue with.

One thing for the Indians; the Cape Cod League All Star Game was two weekends ago and the collegiate Team USA group is done. Also, Area Code games were a few days ago, Under Armour HS All-Star game at Wrigley Field is tomorrow (I will be in attendance as I live very near the park) and the Alfac Game in San Diego is Sunday night -- teams will know the talent that is available in the draft so the Indians can weigh Lindor vs. what they think they can get with the 8th pick next year. A lot can change in 10 months (next draft) with prospects, but you can get a good idea.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Keith Law also said the Tribe would draft Jed Bradley or Taylor Junggman. Guess he meant to say Brewers. :nea:

There's a lot of jockeying going on right now. Personally I'm calling Lindor signs for $2.75 - $3.25 Mil. Howard probably near $2.0 - $2.25 Mil. and Peters $750k - $1.0 Mil. That's right I believe the Tribe will get all three of those done.

Personally from what I've seen and read I'd prefer Peters over Tarpley. I'd love to see the Tribe snag a cpl of Kramer, Sparks, Pitts and Brady.

Anyone have a clue how much Tribe has spent to date?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby PEngle39 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:I know he's not popular with Indians fans, but Keith Law commented on the draft on the Baseball Today podcast with Eric Karabell today. He said he expects every 1st round pick to sign, but he said Francisco Lindor "is the least likely" of 1st round picks to sign. He also said it'd be a big mistake for Lindor to go to JC b/c the upside risk is outweighed by the downside risk, which is hard to argue with.

One thing for the Indians; the Cape Cod League All Star Game was two weekends ago and the collegiate Team USA group is done. Also, Area Code games were a few days ago, Under Armour HS All-Star game at Wrigley Field is tomorrow (I will be in attendance as I live very near the park) and the Alfac Game in San Diego is Sunday night -- teams will know the talent that is available in the draft so the Indians can weigh Lindor vs. what they think they can get with the 8th pick next year. A lot can change in 10 months (next draft) with prospects, but you can get a good idea.

Well, with the 'draft experts' its always player X is the least likely to sign. I don't think anyone knows the real truth amongst the smokescreens draftees, agents, and front offices send out at this time of year. Two days ago, it was Robert Stephenson definitely not signing/ least likely to sign. Yesterday, it was Tyler Beede. Today, it's Francisco Lindor. Tomorrow? It's all posturing. I like the chance a deal gets done. Furthermore, none of the guys at BA or BP have mentioned anything about Lindor possibly not signing. Most of their talk is about Beede, Bell, and Stephenson. I think Keith Law like to get Cleveland in a tizzy.

With that said, i think Lindor, in comparison to last years draft signings, will get something between Machado and Colon money. If i had to guess, he'll get around 3.5-4.5 million.

P.S.

I'm not really sure where the notion of Peters being better than Tarpley stems from. I have only seen video of Peters but have seen Tarpley in person and his stuff is pretty electric. He's the epitome of projection since he weighs about 160 lbs. and already throwing 91-92 mph with a plus breaking ball (if you don't believe me when i say plus breaking pitch, check out the MLB.com video in his draft profile on the IPI site). He has a very lively arm and will only add velocity as he gets stronger.

I just think if i'm choosing between Peters or Tarpley, i'm taking Tarpley as of right now. Also, Peters' lack of height scares me.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Folks, don't worry....they will get these guys signed. It is typical agent posturing BS.

This whole signing process is a joke. Teams have some of these guys signed for days/weeks but because MLB won't approve because of overslot reasons it makes it tough for all involved. You can bet there is another player or two already agreed to terms with the Indians, but that the league won't approve as we get closer to the deadline.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, Morimando is in the bag.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:13 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Folks, don't worry....they will get these guys signed. It is typical agent posturing BS.

This whole signing process is a joke. Teams have some of these guys signed for days/weeks but because MLB won't approve because of overslot reasons it makes it tough for all involved. You can bet there is another player or two already agreed to terms with the Indians, but that the league won't approve as we get closer to the deadline.

Would the players posturing mean that they're the ones without a deal in place?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Folks, don't worry....they will get these guys signed. It is typical agent posturing BS.

Would the players posturing mean that they're the ones without a deal in place?

For the most part, yeah. Guys with a deal in place, you would not hear a peep from.

That said, the Indians are 100% gonna sign Lindor. I think the only "want" guys in the unknown status are Tarpley and Peters with Tarpley an 80-90% sign and Peters 40-60%. They don't have enough money to sign everyone, but Lindor/Howard are very much expected to both be signed.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 am

Don't believe there's any chance that Lindor doesn't sign. He'd be crazy not to sign. The more levels he plays at the more chance he gets exposed.

I'm not that big of a Lindor fan, at least not the bat. I've read some Kipnis-like bat projections thrown around which have no chance of happening. Hopefully he's Omar Jr. He could get stronger but hopefully without bulking up. Who wants Jhonny Jr.? We should sign him but if he asks for some ridiculous number I'd let him walk. No way he's our #1 spec when he signs(IMO).

Howard's the guy I want signed. I think he's going to be an excellent pro, barring injury. He was in the argument for Top 3 HS pitchers from the last draft after Bundy & Bradley. Tarpley, meh. Agree with OB, not lots of physical projection there but he's still pretty young. I couldn't tell from vid but maybe he's one of those long armed guys who throws hard from leverage rather than strength. Kinda like Gooden as a kid. I believe Sisco's better, though & the org must too, based on where we drafted him.

My philosophy would be to sign as many as you can afford & let them sort themselves out. If you have a certain amount budgeted for the draft, spend it all. If we can fit Sparks in there I wouldn't mind.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:00 am

PEngle39 wrote:
I'm not really sure where the notion of Peters being better than Tarpley stems from. I have only seen video of Peters but have seen Tarpley in person and his stuff is pretty electric. He's the epitome of projection since he weighs about 160 lbs. and already throwing 91-92 mph with a plus breaking ball (if you don't believe me when i say plus breaking pitch, check out the MLB.com video in his draft profile on the IPI site). He has a very lively arm and will only add velocity as he gets stronger.

I just think if i'm choosing between Peters or Tarpley, i'm taking Tarpley as of right now. Also, Peters' lack of height scares me.

First, I like how you think on Peters vs. Tarpley. I’d prefer Peters but I its easily possible that Tarpley ends up better.

Regarding Tarpley, I agree the guy can spin a breaking ball. It’s just one tape on one day, but the scouting bureau tape shows a well spun breaking ball that is potentially a plus pitch. Regarding projection, however, I don’t really see it. It’s more than just being thin and weighing 160-180 lbs. He is thin and can add weight, but his body frame is narrow. His shoulders slope off and don’t have much of a frame to grow into. Also very importantly, the way his body moves, it’s not particularly loose or free. As you add muscle, your body tightens up – loose bodies generally add muscle better b/c they can still move uninhibited.

For comparison’s sake, look at tape of Francisco Lindor (perfect game has good stuff and it’s free). Look at his shoulders – they are wide with good bone structure; the guy clearly has an upper body to grow into. He’s got a strong upper half and has thin hips. His body moves very freely – his upper half, his lower half, his limbs; all very agile. When I see Lindor, he’s a guy that could easily add 20 lbs of muscle and it wouldn’t hurt his agility – it’s still going to be there and he’ll still be an up the middle talent. I just don’t see the same with Tarpley, and frankly it’s a big reason why Tarpley didn’t crack Baseball America’s top 200 draft prospects. I don’t subscribe to these services, but I don’t recall him being highly ranked by PG, either. He’s just not that awesome. Look at the HS guys that went in the top 2 rounds; (there is tape of them everywhere) and then look at Tarpley. They are all bigger bodied than Tarpley with looser arms, or throw significantly harder.

Tarpley’s got potential. He will get stronger and he’ll add some mph, but I don’t think it will be that much. It’s stupid to say he doesn’t have a chance b/c he can spin a breaking ball, has long arms and can throw 90mph, so he’s a prospect but not a top one. He’s a pitching inventory guy. Sign him and hope he blossoms in 2-3 years. If you sign 10 Tarpley’s, you may get a good major league pitcher or two. I mean, I like Tarpley in that I think he’s got a chance to be a good lefty middle reliever years from now, but it's a big stretch to project him as a 1-3 starter type (not that anyone is).

Another subject, once again, Law said he believes Lindor will sign. Even if he doesn't, you can get a good prospect in next year's draft. Definitely not the end of the world. I'd be more concerned if Howard doesn't sign as a 2nd round pick.

MLB Network at 1pm CST (2pm EST) has the Under Armour All Start Game today for those interested in next year's draft.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:22 am

OhioBaseball wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

First, I like how you think on Peters vs. Tarpley. I’d prefer Peters but I its easily possible that Tarpley ends up better.

Regarding Tarpley, I agree the guy can spin a breaking ball. It’s just one tape on one day, but the scouting bureau tape shows a well spun breaking ball that is potentially a plus pitch. Regarding projection, however, I don’t really see it. It’s more than just being thin and weighing 160-180 lbs. He is thin and can add weight, but his body frame is narrow. His shoulders slope off and don’t have much of a frame to grow into. Also very importantly, the way his body moves, it’s not particularly loose or free. As you add muscle, your body tightens up – loose bodies generally add muscle better b/c they can still move uninhibited.

For comparison’s sake, look at tape of Francisco Lindor (perfect game has good stuff and it’s free). Look at his shoulders – they are wide with good bone structure; the guy clearly has an upper body to grow into. He’s got a strong upper half and has thin hips. His body moves very freely – his upper half, his lower half, his limbs; all very agile. When I see Lindor, he’s a guy that could easily add 20 lbs of muscle and it wouldn’t hurt his agility – it’s still going to be there and he’ll still be an up the middle talent. I just don’t see the same with Tarpley, and frankly it’s a big reason why Tarpley didn’t crack Baseball America’s top 200 draft prospects. I don’t subscribe to these services, but I don’t recall him being highly ranked by PG, either. He’s just not that awesome. Look at the HS guys that went in the top 2 rounds; (there is tape of them everywhere) and then look at Tarpley. They are all bigger bodied than Tarpley with looser arms, or throw significantly harder.

Tarpley’s got potential. He will get stronger and he’ll add some mph, but I don’t think it will be that much. It’s stupid to say he doesn’t have a chance b/c he can spin a breaking ball, has long arms and can throw 90mph, so he’s a prospect but not a top one. He’s a pitching inventory guy. Sign him and hope he blossoms in 2-3 years. If you sign 10 Tarpley’s, you may get a good major league pitcher or two. I mean, I like Tarpley in that I think he’s got a chance to be a good lefty middle reliever years from now, but it's a big stretch to project him as a 1-3 starter type (not that anyone is).

Another subject, once again, Law said he believes Lindor will sign. Even if he doesn't, you can get a good prospect in next year's draft. Definitely not the end of the world. I'd be more concerned if Howard doesn't sign as a 2nd round pick.

MLB Network at 1pm CST (2pm EST) has the Under Armour All Start Game today for those interested in next year's draft.

Exactly what I said, yet I get jumped on for saying it... :dirol:
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:12 pm

If Lindor wants more than slot I'd actually be happy to let him walk and use that money on Peters and a guy like Sparks/Kramer...imho Peters+Sparks+9th overall 2012 > Lindor

He has no leverage whatsoever...the risk of him losing money is WAY higher than improving on 8th overall...that said, 2.5mil max...take it or leave it...if he turns it down and plays hardball go to plan B...we have plenty lower level MIF depth right now

Anybody has a scouting report on Morimando? 350k seems like a lot

Already signed 25 picks with 4 top 10 guys missing...looks like we will draft even more guys than in years past...guess the trades led to some more picks signed
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Rocky55 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

Not by me Andrew. But then I ask myself if I'd have been okay with Howard in the 1st & Lindor in the 2nd. I think I'd have been fine with that. So we got both of them in the top 2 Rounds. Also, saying that we couldn't get a better player from the same pick next year is silly. PG's top 5 HSers for the next draft, plus all of those college guys? Not only could we get a better player but probably one that got to MLB faster.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Just doing a recap of reported signing bonuses:

Sisco 325k
Lowery 220k
Roberts ??
Myles 112.5k
Haase 580k
J.Smith 125k
J.Johnson ??
DeJesus ??
Anderson 250k
Hankins ??
Merritt 150k
Morimando 350k
Elliott ??
C.Allen ??
Frazar ??
Wagoner ??
Radeke ??
A.Guerrero ??
Medina ??
Barr 2.5k
Ruiz ??
Serna ??
Davenport 100k
Nixon ??

= 2,216mil + 13x??

Anybody know the other SBs?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:15 pm

I found a little info on Shawn Morimondo - LHP listed any where between 5'11 to 6'2 and from 160lbs to 190lbs the truth is somewhere between the numbers the Tribe has him in at 5'11 175. He has a good fastball and curve, he touches 91 with the fastball. Here's a link of him batting and pitching...
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/341302/shawn-morimando
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:52 pm

I think it's useless to worry about if Lindor or whoever is going to sign frankly it all has a way of working itself out. I like Lindor at the eight pk signing for slot or near wouldn't be outrageous nor would paying him about Christian Colon money... (4th overall in 2010 signed for $2.75 Mil.). Lindor had potential to go as high as 1 or 2 but so did every other pk. The point is Lindor was a top 10 talent, maybe top 5 talent and will want pd like it. The Tribe drafted him to get the deal done, from my understanding going to JC might be his fall back, but how'd that work out Levon Washington??? He actually signed for a bit less a yr later than what TB would have pd. So what was the point Washington lost a several grand and Lindor could stand to do the same if not more.

Dillon Howard is the guy I believe is more important to the Tribe he should be a quick mover once he gets his feet on the ground. Howard has the potential to end up as a number 2 type pitcher (maybe a 1) and the floor of being a good reliever. The tribe has plenty of IF depth throughout the system and missing out on Lindor would be offset by signing several fall back pks and recieving the 9 pk next yr. I'm not suggesting they miss intentionally on Lindor infact I believe the deal gets done but if he gets stupid at the last minute Kevin Kramer, Taylor Sparks, Cole Pitts, Austin Deimer, Adam Griffin, and Dillon Peters would all look good in Tribe affiliate uni's. :dirol:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:23 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think it's useless to worry about if Lindor or whoever is going to sign frankly it all has a way of working itself out. I like Lindor at the eight pk signing for slot or near wouldn't be outrageous nor would paying him about Christian Colon money... (4th overall in 2010 signed for $2.75 Mil.). Lindor had potential to go as high as 1 or 2 but so did every other pk. The point is Lindor was a top 10 talent, maybe top 5 talent and will want pd like it. The Tribe drafted him to get the deal done, from my understanding going to JC might be his fall back, but how'd that work out Levon Washington??? He actually signed for a bit less a yr later than what TB would have pd. So what was the point Washington lost a several grand and Lindor could stand to do the same if not more.

Dillon Howard is the guy I believe is more important to the Tribe he should be a quick mover once he gets his feet on the ground. Howard has the potential to end up as a number 2 type pitcher (maybe a 1) and the floor of being a good reliever. The tribe has plenty of IF depth throughout the system and missing out on Lindor would be offset by signing several fall back pks and recieving the 9 pk next yr. I'm not suggesting they miss intentionally on Lindor infact I believe the deal gets done but if he gets stupid at the last minute Kevin Kramer, Taylor Sparks, Cole Pitts, Austin Deimer, Adam Griffin, and Dillon Peters would all look good in Tribe affiliate uni's. :dirol:

Pretty much my sentiments homer. I thought that Lindor was the best position player prospect at the AFLAC. I was surprised he fell to the Indians. In spite of the axiom that you draft the best player regardless of position, I had a power bat in mind for the Tribe. The Indians already have three valid SS prospects in the low minors IMO. No, they do not have Lindor's ceiling IMO but they might wind up with the same ceiling. I would not be happy with failing to sign Lindor but a top 10 next year would not be a bad consolation from what I see. The Indians recent signings in the draft and internationally seem to be oriented toward middle of the field players which is good for a team without money for FAs but it hasn't been until last year that I have noticed fewer quality position prospects elsewhere. Time will tell but it appears some of the other top 10 draftees this year could be decent bats. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:That is a HUGE blow if the Tribe doesn't sign Lindor. Seems pretty unanimous among scouts that he'd be the #1 prospect in the Tribe system. Losing that would really hurt. You have to sign him IMO.

Well agree to disagree I guess. Yeah you get an extra pick next year....one that won't be protected, and can't see any way you come away with a player anywhere near as talented as Lindor. To each their own though
Last edited by Hermie13 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby elrod enchilada » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:58 pm

This is probably going to be a moot conversation. I suspect the deal has already been struck. It is almost impossible to imagine why Lindor would go the JuCo route unless the Tribe lowballs him. And there is no reason to think the Tribe will do that.

If Ronnie Rodriguez proves to be a legit prospect, and we should have a pretty good idea a year from now, we will really have some interesting talent in the middle.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Tondo wrote:If Lindor wants more than slot I'd actually be happy to let him walk and use that money on Peters and a guy like Sparks/Kramer...imho Peters+Sparks+9th overall 2012 > Lindor

He has no leverage whatsoever...the risk of him losing money is WAY higher than improving on 8th overall...that said, 2.5mil max...take it or leave it...if he turns it down and plays hardball go to plan B...we have plenty lower level MIF depth right now

Already signed 25 picks with 4 top 10 guys missing...looks like we will draft even more guys than in years past...guess the trades led to some more picks signed

I will just say that I disagree. The old "bird in the hand...." would make getting Lindor in the fold very advantageous. Add in the fact that he would vault to the top of our prospect list (mostly because our system was gutted of high end prospects with trades, graduations, and injuries). Plus I do not think next year's #8 pick will be as talented as Lindor.

Yes we have MIF prospects but not enough IMHO. Some SS prospects grow into 3B (R-Rod) or are better fits at 2B.

I like Howard but there is a reason that he fell to us in round 2. He could develop very nicely but prospect hit percentages go down with each round. As for Peters, his height may project him more into the BP (not writing him off yet). Glad we have Sisco in hand.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:51 pm

daingean wrote:
Tondo wrote:If Lindor wants more than slot I'd actually be happy to let him walk and use that money on Peters and a guy like Sparks/Kramer...imho Peters+Sparks+9th overall 2012 > Lindor

Plus I do not think next year's #8 pick will be as talented as Lindor.

You may be right. I've seen much of the college group and don't find it too inspiring, although Mike Zunino of Florida could be the RH power bat the team has craved for so long (ironic that LaPorta, a Florida guy, has busted on us). Zunino has some holes in his swing, though. Mark Appel (SP Stanford) is very talented, but is far from a finished product. College crop is noticeably down from last year in my opinion.

Saw the UA All-Star game today and the only guy close to top 10 overall was Bryan Buxton, OF from Georgia. Nothing close to a top shelf pitching prospect out there. Lance McCullers is an impressive talent (though not all that projectable) that will be in the Aflac Game tomorrow night. I don't know where Addison Russell is, but I like him quite a bit (outrageous bat speed).

I'm not in love with Lindor, but next year's draft doesn't look so awesome unless there are some guys in the Aflac game tomorrow that I don't know about (I dont subscribe to any of these services so I don't know). Looking forward to catching the game, which I believe is televised on one of the CBS sports channels.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Falcons115 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:18 pm

On Twitter TribeInsider tweeted that the Indians announced they have agreed to terms with Zach MacPhee whoever was asking earlier.
Falcons115
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby elrod enchilada » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:41 pm

twas I. Thanks for the update.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 am

It looks to me like the Tribe could sign as many as 30 draftees. I don't keep track of such things but that seems like a lot for the organization to absorb, especially with the depth in pitching. It occurs to me this might portend some trades over the winter eith out of the minors or ML players being replaced by minor leaguers. Just a thought. :dunno:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Sol Solis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:14 am

indianinkslinger wrote:It looks to me like the Tribe could sign as many as 30 draftees. I don't keep track of such things but that seems like a lot for the organization to absorb, especially with the depth in pitching. It occurs to me this might portend some trades over the winter eith out of the minors or ML players being replaced by minor leaguers. Just a thought. :dunno:

I hadn't even really thought of this until yesterday when I looked back at their draft last year and realized that they are definitely signing a lot more guys than normal this year. Not sure what that means, but you may be right. Or they just like a lot of the guys they drafted. Either way, I think this draft could be a very solid one if/when Lindor and Howard sign, in addition to some of the other guys that have some potential like Tarpley and Peters.
Sol Solis
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby elrod enchilada » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 am

The tribe might consider adding another rookie league team, in the Appalachian League so it could be based in or near Ohio. Already we are having difficulty getting game time for too many of our young prospects. It seems like the Arizona team has too much depth for its own good with position guys, and there is going to be a logjam next year between Arizona, MV and LC.

I checked once and a few other teams have three state-side short season teams.

PS--Next year's AA team in Akron, on the other hand, is shaping up as one almost entirely bereft of position prospects. That should change by 2012.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:40 pm

The Aflac game has a lot more talent than the Under Armour/Baseball America game.

If Lindor does not sign, I'm confident the Indians could get a comparable or better talent at 8 next year. I won't freak out about Lindor signing tomorrow night.

That guy Lucas Giolito (SP) looked really impressive.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby stoike » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:09 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:The Aflac game has a lot more talent than the Under Armour/Baseball America game.

If Lindor does not sign, I'm confident the Indians could get a comparable or better talent at 8 next year. I won't freak out about Lindor signing tomorrow night.

Not sure why you guys are so quick (and foolish) as to assume that the Tribe can get a player as good as Lindor next year at 8. Just not realistic. You need to get that preconceived notion out of your head that Lindor was a reach. He is mega-talented, folks.....
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 pm

stoike wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:The Aflac game has a lot more talent than the Under Armour/Baseball America game.

Not sure why you guys are so quick (and foolish) as to assume that the Tribe can get a player as good as Lindor next year at 8. Just not realistic. You need to get that preconceived notion out of your head that Lindor was a reach. He is mega-talented, folks.....

No one, Ohio or I, have in any way shape or form said that Lindor isn't talented and has a ton of potential. I've been on record, including draft day, saying I love the selection. But, you're also missing our points. IMO, Dillon Howard is a bigger signing to get than Lindor. We have a ton of middle infield talent in the lower half of the system already. His elite talent? No. But you have Wolters, who IMO has that potential. You also have Ronnie Rodriguez. But if you look at our lower level arms.. aside of Sterling and Araujo.. who do you have? Uhhhh...
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby indians1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 pm

You can never have enough talent in your system. I would be a little hesitant to say how much talent we have in the middle infield area. Tony wolters is showing alot of potential, but he is in mahoning valley. ronnie rodriguez has 6x as many K's as BB and has an OBP of only .268.

You never know if asdrubal is going to be here after 2013 or 2014. We don't know about player's health. If they believe lindor is an impact player and a potential all-star, then you sign him. I think people talk about potential and youth and think guys will eventually improve and they don't .

We saw that abner abreu and carlos rivero. We saw kelvin de la cruz and alexander perez, and hector rondon all have major injuries. You never know who is going to go down and when a strength will become a weakness. We look to be set at SS and 2B in cleveland for the next 2 years, but who knows.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby PEngle39 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
OhioBaseball wrote:
PEngle39 wrote:

Sorry, i didn't mean to jump on you at all. The only point i was trying to make was that Tarpley is being under-sold on this board in a big way. Everyone is so quick to say they prefer Peters mainly because he was in Baseball America's top 200 and Tarpley wasn't so i thought i'd give the kid some love. I just don't put too much stock in BA's rankings because very little separates player 100 from a player they might rank 500th. Tarpley came into the Connie Mack World Series at 6'2" 175 lbs and was virtually un-hittable with a fastball topping out at 93 mph. For someone that was 6'0" 160 lbs and throwing 86-88 mph at this time last year, i just think the upward trajectory is too hard to ignore. He's the type of high upside high school arm that the Indians haven't drafted in some time. These high school guys are so young that nobody can say with any certainty that this guy will be a bullpen arm at best or that guy will be a #1 or #3 starter, it's a crap shoot.
PEngle39
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

Of the two prep lefties (tarpley & peters), signing Tarpley would benefit the Indians most. He has much better tools to work with, albeit less polished. While it would be nice to sign Dillon (actually both Dillon's), Tarpley is clearly a much better athlete. Hard throwing lefties like Tarpley who have long fingers and limber arms can really put a bite on a breaking ball....

Then again, Cole Pitts would be the best of the high upside college committed pitchers the Indians have drafted. Signing them is not going to be easy, but, who said it had to be easy?..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby daingean » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 am

There is usually a reason why guys are selected where they are. This draft was considered very good in talent (especially pitching). That said priorities should be Lindor first, Howard second....Tarpley, Peters, Pitts in that order. While we do have good MIF depth lower in the draft all have their share of warts and some guys overcome their shortcomings and others don't. I think Lindor is a better bet than Wolters and Ronny combined (that is not taking anything away from those guys just that Lindor has all the measurables). Also with Lindor signing him is the "Bird in the hand" line of thought for me.

Now not signing either Lindor or Howard would be a huge step back for the Tribe IMHO. Tarpley has the measurables over Peters that's for sure. Pitchers under 6'1" usually have a tendency to gravitate to the BP (note the word usually because there are exceptions). Sign Lindor and Howard and add 2 of Tarpley/Peters/Pitts and I will be happy. Failure on Lindor and Howard and I will be disappointed.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby OhioBaseball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 pm

stoike wrote:

my assessment is based off watching the talent for the 2012 draft. College crop has about two guys but the talent in aflac game last night was impressive. Calling lindor a "mega talent" is a stretch. He's undersized, he's not much better than an average runner and thrower by MLB standards. Don't get me wrong, I like him but he ain't no Alex Rodriguez. I hope he signs but I'm confident we could get a very good talent at 8 next year. I'd love to add giolito if it comes to it but things can change in 10 months.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 pm

One thing to consider with not signing Lindor..... maybe you can get a comparable talent at #8 next year but, can you afford to risk drafting that level of talent as a comp pick knowing that you HAVE to sign that pick as there would be no comp if you didn't.

You're almost forced to take a safer pick with the compensation pick.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:One thing to consider with not signing Lindor..... maybe you can get a comparable talent at #8 next year but, can you afford to risk drafting that level of talent as a comp pick knowing that you HAVE to sign that pick as there would be no comp if you didn't.

You're almost forced to take a safer pick with the compensation pick.

Not necessarily... the DBacks took Bradley with their compensation pick.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:05 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
stoike wrote:

my assessment is based off watching the talent for the 2012 draft. College crop has about two guys but the talent in aflac game last night was impressive. Calling lindor a "mega talent" is a stretch. He's undersized, he's not much better than an average runner and thrower by MLB standards. Don't get me wrong, I like him but he ain't no Alex Rodriguez. I hope he signs but I'm confident we could get a very good talent at 8 next year. I'd love to add giolito if it comes to it but things can change in 10 months.

That's nothing a little steroids won't solve.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Rocky55 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
stoike wrote:

OB, was Joey Gallo there? I read about Gallo hitting a HR in a PG event that was the 10th longest in Petco Park history. Kid looks like Tulo. Athletic with good D too. Also pitches(94 FB). Wishful thinking on our parts as I believe Lindor signs.

We should probably show more faith in Grant & Company's judgement but Lindor just doesn't do it for me. Hope I'm wrong.
Rocky55
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:08 pm

The cream of the coming 2012 crop may be the first two guys:

Lance McCullers RHP,
Kenny Diekroeger SS,

Although, any one of these guys would be a nice addition to the wigwam:

Mark Appel RHP
Gavin Cecchini SS
Jake Barrett RHP
Brian Goodwin OF
Joey Gallo 3B
Nick Williams OF
Devin Marrero SS
Kevin Gausman RHP
Lucas Giolito RHP
Victor Roache 1B
Trey Williams 3B
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby JP_Frost » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm really intrigued by Roache and Trey Williams. Though, I think they'll be long gone before we draft.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm going out on a limb and saying the tribe announces 4 signings tonight all over slot.
Lindor
Howard
Tarpley
Peters
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk