Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:40 am

I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 am

Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby A.Zajac » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 am

indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:


Kearns will be gone when Choo/Sizemore are activated.. or a possible August deal.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:39 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I can't help but think that some of the success Head is having would translate but I'm sure if the powers that be thought the same changes would have been made. I definately agree with Neal jumping ahead of him but he is on the DL at the moment.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:16 pm

jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40


Neal isn't on the 40-man roster
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby jellis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40


Neal isn't on the 40-man roster


I read he was on the 40 man for the giants, so he has to be here, or at least it was reported when the trade occured
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm

jellis wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40


Neal isn't on the 40-man roster


I read he was on the 40 man for the giants, so he has to be here, or at least it was reported when the trade occured


That was the reason they had to DFA Talbot. If not for Neal, OCab's departure would have covered the arrival of Jimenez for the 40.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Kearns will be gone when Choo/Sizemore are activated.. or a possible August deal.


I hope you're right, but have my doubts...
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Kearns will be gone when Choo/Sizemore are activated.. or a possible August deal.


I hope you're right, but have my doubts...

Think you're probably right Hermie. I don't expect Sizemore back before September and what's the point then. Choo might be back earlier but what would the Indians do for a RH bat in the OF. None of these guys seem to hit LH pitching well even if they are much better players than Kearns. If Neal is healthy, he might be called up but I wouldn't expect that until September. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Edible14 wrote:
jellis wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40


Neal isn't on the 40-man roster


I read he was on the 40 man for the giants, so he has to be here, or at least it was reported when the trade occured


That was the reason they had to DFA Talbot. If not for Neal, OCab's departure would have covered the arrival of Jimenez for the 40.


Check out the Tribe's 40-man..... he's not on it.

EDIT: He's not listed on the official 40-man but, the Tribe's official Press Release did say he's now part of the 40-man.... odd.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:12 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Edible14 wrote:
jellis wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:



Plus I am pretty sure a healthy Thomas Neal will jump him as well, since he is already on the 40


Neal isn't on the 40-man roster


I read he was on the 40 man for the giants, so he has to be here, or at least it was reported when the trade occured


That was the reason they had to DFA Talbot. If not for Neal, OCab's departure would have covered the arrival of Jimenez for the 40.


Check out the Tribe's 40-man..... he's not on it.

EDIT: He's not listed on the official 40-man but, the Tribe's official Press Release did say he's now part of the 40-man.... odd.

I am not a rule guy but maybe it has something to do with Neal being on the DL and not having been activated yet. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:21 pm
Location: Rhode Island

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Edible14 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:47 pm



Very odd, as I thought the Indians were going to keep him around. Joe Martinez back to the rotation, I guess.

With Espino back in Akron, I think that leaves 2 open bullpen spots right now. Adam Miller time?
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:46 am

Thomas Neal is indeed on the 40-man roster. For some reason Indians.com doesn't list him on it (39 players listed)....but he is 110% on it.

Neal expected to make his Clippers debut on Saturday night (I'll be there). If he is healthy and does well it would not surprise me to see him up soon and definitely in September as a RH solution in the outfield. Head is just not an option.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:27 am

TonyIPI wrote:Thomas Neal is indeed on the 40-man roster. For some reason Indians.com doesn't list him on it (39 players listed)....but he is 110% on it.

Neal expected to make his Clippers debut on Saturday night (I'll be there). If he is healthy and does well it would not surprise me to see him up soon and definitely in September as a RH solution in the outfield. Head is just not an option.


I think it's absolutely crazy that he's not an option at this time. I'm willing to bet that his play is better than Kearns'. It it isn't ship him out and bring up Neal. Now is probably the best time to give him a shot, he's hot, and Neal needs a week or two to get into form.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby fallclassic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 pm

When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.
fallclassic
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Watching the Clips on the computer as usual and I think Beau Mills is closer to ML ready at this time than Nick Johnson, both offensively and defensively. Not saying it will always be that way, even this year but just an observation as to their play since Mills arrived in Columbus.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 pm

I don't think Johnson would really do much as an improvement to the ML club, just needs to stay in Columbus for now but don't see him ever being much of option though. Surpirng to me to see MIlls bouncing back not after 1 but 2 pretty ho-hum years. Nice to see him playing himself back into consideration especially in a terribly weak spot in the system. Anything but sold, but love the progress.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby nubballguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:13 am

fallclassic wrote:When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.


I think I saw Lee was on the DL? What's up with that? I would have thought an injury to one of our most closely followed and prized bp arms would have garnered more mention here. Or did I miss the memo? :search:
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby danh8 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 am

fallclassic wrote:When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.


It's become obvious that this team will not cut players on contracts that pay them more than league minimums. When you can keep a guy like Austin Kearns in place after now months of proving beyond doubt that he's completely lost it, proves the point. Kearns could not make any major league roster this year. NONE., if he were cut loose and anyone in the league could have him for one penny, nobosy would bite...NOBODY. Yet, while we try to win a playoff spot in one of the few years every decade we have an opportunity, he not only holds a place on our 25 man roster all year, but Acta still keeps him in a viable role. My blood boils every time I'm forced to watch him swing two feet late on a league average fastball that he actually anticipates in a hitter's count. Beyond an indictment of Acta and Antonettit here ...it's obviously coming from the owners suite in my opinion. Acta and Antonetti can't be that incompetant and clueless.
danh8
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 pm

nubballguy wrote:
fallclassic wrote:When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.


I think I saw Lee was on the DL? What's up with that? I would have thought an injury to one of our most closely followed and prized bp arms would have garnered more mention here. Or did I miss the memo? :search:



here is the issue you need the durbins and hermanns who are out there on an irregular work schedule, just cant do it with Lee and others who would be guys you want to see more of
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 pm

nubballguy wrote:
fallclassic wrote:When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.


I think I saw Lee was on the DL? What's up with that? I would have thought an injury to one of our most closely followed and prized bp arms would have garnered more mention here. Or did I miss the memo? :search:


Not on the DL

Relief pitcher Chen Lee was placed on the temporarily inactive list today by the Clippers so that he could attend his grandfather's funeral in Taiwan. He caught a flight out of Port Columbus. The team doesn't expect him to return, at the earliest, until it leaves Friday for Rochester.


http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/m ... -list.html
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby nubballguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:42 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
nubballguy wrote:
fallclassic wrote:When is the Chad Durbin experiment going to be over already? Enough of the nonsense. Please bring up Lee or Putnam.


I think I saw Lee was on the DL? What's up with that? I would have thought an injury to one of our most closely followed and prized bp arms would have garnered more mention here. Or did I miss the memo? :search:


Not on the DL

Relief pitcher Chen Lee was placed on the temporarily inactive list today by the Clippers so that he could attend his grandfather's funeral in Taiwan. He caught a flight out of Port Columbus. The team doesn't expect him to return, at the earliest, until it leaves Friday for Rochester.


http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/m ... -list.html


Thanks Daz.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:01 pm

@ jellis, I think you hit it nail on head. Tribe simply wants the talented arms to get time to develop, Durbin and Herrman are expendable but necessary to pitch those innings. That's why I believe tribe will be inclined to move one of Raffy Perez, Joe Smith, and MAYBE Chris Perez (doubtful!!!) this offseason.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Edible14 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm thinking the days of Chad Huffman in the Clippers outfield may be numbered, given all the bodies currently residing there. I'm not seeing an easier way to get Duncan and Zeke back in there when Hannahan and Choo return (assuming that we don't just see Kearns and/or Hannahan released). Have to think he's lower priority than just about everyone there at this point.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby artgold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:21 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:


Interesting observation Inky, noticed in Tony's update today that Ross Atkins had this to say about Head:

" But he is a very good defender in left and right field and has some versatility where he can play first base, third base, and if he had to he could go to second base."

Think Atkins is blowing smoke here?
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:50 pm

artgold wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:I think it's time to say goodbye to Kearns and see what Head can do. I certainly don't think it would be harmful based upon Kearns' season thusfar. The only question I have is how good or bad is Jared defensively? If he is not a liability then why has it not happened?

Hey Chip, IMO and likely the Indians as well, he cannot field at the ML level at any position and does not have suitable swing mechanics to handle ML pitching. Think Jordan Brown but with a worse batting stroke. :pleasantry:


Interesting observation Inky, noticed in Tony's update today that Ross Atkins had this to say about Head:

" But he is a very good defender in left and right field and has some versatility where he can play first base, third base, and if he had to he could go to second base."

Think Atkins is blowing smoke here?

Wow, he must be thinking of someone else. Wasn't he the same guy who said Goedert could hit and defend? Curious why he would say this about a player who passes thru Rule V every year. Maybe Atkins sells snake oil part time and wants to keep in sales form? :diablo:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby artgold » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm

Perhaps, if he is being a phony here (not accusing, but that is a huge difference of professional opinion), I don't see any purpose to interviewing him about prospects.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:07 pm

artgold wrote:Perhaps, if he is being a phony here (not accusing, but that is a huge difference of professional opinion), I don't see any purpose to interviewing him about prospects.

In all serious, he is "boosting" his players. Not unheard of in baseball. In this case, it is a bit of a stretch. It has nothing to do with me being right or wrong, but because Jerad Head turns 29 this year and no team has stepped up with $50K, all of MLB would be wrong. It is nice to think this is Casey Blake in waiting but Blake has more gifts than Head. Better arm, speed and instincts and, most of all, a better eye at bat with superior selectivity. But Blake is a "guesser" who looks for a certain pitch/location and Head is more like hit the first pitch you can. There is a lot to thank Jerad for in this organization but I draw the same line as I did with Brown. It doesn't deserve a promotion to Cleveland.

Completely aside from Head, I believe we have a "breakout" this year in McFarland in the second half enen though the sample is small. He has improvement in all three of his normal pitches and, unless my eyes deceive me, a new pitch that has changed his pitching pattern. You might consider me crazy but I am thinking a comp might be Pettite without PEDs. Big stretch, I know but if he gets the location of his 4th pitch down, he might be very difficult to hit, even at the ML level. :s_crazy
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:20 am

McFarland's ERA has improved from 4.30 pre-All-Star to 2.65 post-AS. It's down to 2.31 in his last ten starts. Looks like your eyes are not deceiving you. But that last start - 11 hits and 4 walks, not so good. Somehow he only allowed one earned run, though.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Corey Kluber lifted in the 7th inning tonight due to pitch count even though he's throwing a no-hitter.

Walked his last two hitters to take his pitch count to 113 pitches.

His line to this point: - 6.2IP, 0H, 0R, 5BB, 11K

CC Lee on to try and strand the runners.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby artgold » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 pm

Yeah, Kluber put up a Nolan Ryan pitching line tonight.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby martyinnewyork » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Art, think the Tribe called up the wrong guy for the game 2 start?
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Dont look now but Jared Godert is definitely heating up.. a HR in 3 straight games - has quietly stacked up 15 on the year already.... Possible call up now?
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:31 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Dont look now but Jared Godert is definitely heating up.. a HR in 3 straight games - has quietly stacked up 15 on the year already.... Possible call up now?


Suppose anything is possible...but not on the 40-man and is still not very good at any position. If we don't add a DH like Thome suppose you could do worse....but still think it's a long shot.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Dont look now but Jared Godert is definitely heating up.. a HR in 3 straight games - has quietly stacked up 15 on the year already.... Possible call up now?


Suppose anything is possible...but not on the 40-man and is still not very good at any position. If we don't add a DH like Thome suppose you could do worse....but still think it's a long shot.


I agree it is definitely a long shot but with the Hafner going down, LaPorta's season long "slump" and Chiz struggling at the plate - he could find some time at DH and 1B for sure and possibly 3B in a pinch . Need him to swing the stick, his D is what it is.....
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 pm

Some metallic swine are making a special delivery to Central Ohio and it is the pennant!

:yahoo:

COLUMBUS - WE HAVE A PENNANT!!!
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby tribefollower » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:06 am

Congrats to the Clippers on clinching the West! Great pitching from Espino! ...along with the usual assortment of homeruns from the offense. It is great to see Goedert coming around as well...stats since the all-star break are impressive and August is even better. Even with the injury at the beginning of the season, his stats for the year compare pretty well to Chisenhall with a similar number of ABs. And despite a few errors of late, just watching him play he seems pretty comfortable fielding at 3B, but did well at 1B as well. Hard to say if the Indians have a place for him, but with his performance of late, I am sure they are taking a look.
tribefollower
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 am

The Indians are set at 3rd with Hannahan and Chiz. They're also set at 1st with Santana and LaPorta.

If Goedert comes up the logical spot for him would be DH to replace Hafner. The question is whether he would be more productive than Duncan, who also is a right-handed power hitter and was the DH last night.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby criznit2009 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Prosecutor wrote:The Indians are set at 3rd with Hannahan and Chiz. They're also set at 1st with Santana and LaPorta.

If Goedert comes up the logical spot for him would be DH to replace Hafner. The question is whether he would be more productive than Duncan, who also is a right-handed power hitter and was the DH last night.


At some point the FO will have to decide if Goederts bat would be an improvement over LaPorta.. Perhaps they already have and knowing how they operate I could see them as already making that decision without a single ML bat for Goedert...
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby artgold » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Espino's three outings since promoted back to Columbus, 15.1 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 walks, 3 earned runs and 14 strikeouts.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:38 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:The Indians are set at 3rd with Hannahan and Chiz. They're also set at 1st with Santana and LaPorta.

If Goedert comes up the logical spot for him would be DH to replace Hafner. The question is whether he would be more productive than Duncan, who also is a right-handed power hitter and was the DH last night.


At some point the FO will have to decide if Goederts bat would be an improvement over LaPorta.. Perhaps they already have and knowing how they operate I could see them as already making that decision without a single ML bat for Goedert...


Goedert was DFAed this year....and not a single team felt he was worthy of a 40-man spot. Seems as though several teams may have the same idea the Tribe has...
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:49 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Dont look now but Jared Godert is definitely heating up.. a HR in 3 straight games - has quietly stacked up 15 on the year already.... Possible call up now?


No chance. Not a 40-man option now or in offseason.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 pm

artgold wrote:Espino's three outings since promoted back to Columbus, 15.1 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 walks, 3 earned runs and 14 strikeouts.


That's yer guy! :drinks:
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby artgold » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am

TonyIPI wrote:
artgold wrote:Espino's three outings since promoted back to Columbus, 15.1 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 walks, 3 earned runs and 14 strikeouts.


That's yer guy! :drinks:


Absolutely, along with Scott Barnes...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:00 am

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Hey Tony, do you know what is up with Nick Johnson? We are less than a week away from the 9/1 deadline to put him on the 40 and exercise a $2M+ option for next year if I understand his deal correctly. In spite of iron's assurances that he wuld be rostered in July, I think that won't happen this year. Maybe he needs more time but it looks to me like the Indians have better use for the $. Noble experimant that was worth a try but he just does not look anything like the ballplayer he used to be. Reminds me a bit of Aubrey in that regard. Too many injuries.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:33 pm

I agree, seems unlikely that Johnson is added. The Thome trade kills that chance IMO. We had an open 40 man spot...our starting DH on the DL....yet we still didn't turn on Nick Johnson.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7093
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:35 pm

Agree....I don't see Johnson being added. He has shown nothing to warrant giving him a guaranteed deal for next season.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Edible14 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Addition of Thome pretty much seals it for Nick. There is certainly not room for two aging lefty DH-only injury cases.

The gamble didn't work out, but it was a worthwhile risk for Antonetti.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest