RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: 2011 Columbus Clippers Thread

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 pm

When I tore my ACL in two it sounded like a small caliber gun was fired. I don't remember the pain being as bad as what Barnes' looked, but I was more consumed with my football career being over. I do remember it not being a pleasant experience and when I tried to walk on it my knee dislocated. As severe or minor his injury may be atleast it's not his arm or shoulder and modern surgery procedures will have him back rather quickly considering the type of injury he likely sustained.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:59 pm

I can understand the viewpoint that barnes is fortunate its not an arm/ elbow/ shoulder, but I wouldn't discount the importance of legs & a solid foundation. Just look how different Grady has been the bat having knee injuries.

Pitchers need strong foundations as they are pitching otherwise they put too much stress on the arm/ elbow/ shoulder by incorretly compensating for a 'bad base'.

1 last point - it will be interesting to see if this alters the Tribe plans related to the offseason roster. Barnes was up for protection this off-season and prior to the injury Scott was a near shoe-in to be added to the 40 man roster.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:12 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I can understand the viewpoint that barnes is fortunate its not an arm/ elbow/ shoulder, but I wouldn't discount the importance of legs & a solid foundation. Just look how different Grady has been the bat having knee injuries.

Pitchers need strong foundations as they are pitching otherwise they put too much stress on the arm/ elbow/ shoulder by incorretly compensating for a 'bad base'.

1 last point - it will be interesting to see if this alters the Tribe plans related to the offseason roster. Barnes was up for protection this off-season and prior to the injury Scott was a near shoe-in to be added to the 40 man roster.

I agree on legs, though I think we can all agree that a knee is less serious for a pitcher than an arm. does suck that it's his left knee.

As far as roster protection, I can't imagine it would affect Barnes to the point where he wouldn't be rostered. With how he pitched, a team in rebuild would be crazy not to take a flyer on him. Even if he is on the DL to start the year, almost better for them as they wouldn't have to have him on the roster as long. Looked like he could have been a ML reliever this year at worst with his stuff. And hell, on Houston he probably would have been in the rotation this year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Barnes will be put on the 40 man this offseason without any doubt. My ACL injury was about as bad as it gets due to tearing some smaller ligiments and cartiledge as well, and I played spring ball in 5 months. It took alot of hard work and I had to wear a brace but if anything it helped me get into the best shape of my life. Oh yea, that was 21 yrs ago so imagine how far they have come with ACL surgery and recovery. I have never had any problems since my surgery and the strength in my leg with the repaired knee is/was good as before.
Last edited by Chip Davis on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 pm

With the Clippers' bullpen as shallow as it is and McAllister maybe being done early with the rain delay, is there any rule in minor league baseball for how to handle a situation where every available pitcher has hit his pitch limit? Can a game be called early on account of "lack of available pitching" or is it considered a forfeit?
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Talbot's going to C-Bus on a rehab assignment tomorrow (note the date on the move)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... 7&sid=t445
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Scranton just tossed FIVE wild pitches in the Clippers' 3rd!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Mitch-a-palooza making it's first stop in AAA tonight.

A scoreless inning allowing 1 hit and picking up 2Ks in his first relief appearance.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 am

Espino with a good starting effort.

I don't think he is a relief pitcher at all, and wish the Tribe would just give him a month or so in the Columbus rotation and see what he can do.

I think they'd be surprised.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am

I agree, Espino is a Tomlin-light imho...but he just doesn't have the impressive control of Tomlin and that's why I think he'll flame out as AAAA/fringe MLB guy that may get a shot as a long relief/emergency SP someday in the Majors...but then again, that's what everybody thought about Tomlin too

Speaking of Tomlin-clones...I think Packer is the LHP version of him...great control, HR problem, depsite being more of a groundball pitcher. Tomlin too had an unimpressive 1st season at Akron 2 years ago...Packer had a terrible June with an ERA of 10, the rest of the season his ERA is around 3.5. His K/BB splits are still great, but his HR-rate exploded and he seems to have some bad luck and gets hit hard with runners on...he's still a SP-spec to watch imho
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:40 am

artgold wrote:Espino with a good starting effort.

I don't think he is a relief pitcher at all, and wish the Tribe would just give him a month or so in the Columbus rotation and see what he can do.

I think they'd be surprised.

I was about to say that they probably will, but if Talbot is on "rehab" starts (which I think is probably a lot like the Ambriz "rehab" stint in AAA last year), he's essentially taking a spot in that rotation alongside Gomez, McAllister, Kluber and probably Joe Martinez. No idea why the Tribe is in love with Joe Martinez, but they clearly value him more than I do and more than they value Espino.

Now, that's unless this Talbot from the bullpen business is a prelude to him being the new long man, and that rotation spot stays with Espino. Which would be interesting.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Tremendous catch and throw by Jared Head in LF for the Clippers in the sixth inning.. just the way a player who CAN PLAY THE OUTFIELD plays it.. Maybe the Indians should get a clip of that catch and throw and send it to Luis Valmalo so he can study it and LEARN from it..

:good:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 pm

I think its a bit harsh to expect an infielder like Valbuena to become a serviceable outfielder overnight... he has very little experience in the outfield.
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:19 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Tremendous catch and throw by Jared Head in LF for the Clippers in the sixth inning.. just the way a player who CAN PLAY THE OUTFIELD plays it.. Maybe the Indians should get a clip of that catch and throw and send it to Luis Valmalo so he can study it and LEARN from it..

Good idea. Tribe should probably send video of Valbuena turning ML double plays too so that Phelps can see it :good:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:I think its a bit harsh to expect an infielder like Valbuena to become a serviceable outfielder overnight... he has very little experience in the outfield.

Not having experience as a "serviceable" outfielder is a pretty big part of the problem.. being afraid to try.. is a MUCH bigger problem.. not being able is the result..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Tremendous catch and throw by Jared Head in LF for the Clippers in the sixth inning.. just the way a player who CAN PLAY THE OUTFIELD plays it.. Maybe the Indians should get a clip of that catch and throw and send it to Luis Valmalo so he can study it and LEARN from it..

Good idea. Tribe should probably send video of Valbuena turning ML double plays too so that Phelps can see it :good:

Hopefully, there won't be any Valbuena film to show.. good for the Indians.. I'm sure a real ML player can fill in to show young Mr Phelps the proper way to step toward the bag at first and fire a seed right at the runners head.. he'll get down.. if he doesn't the first time.. he will every time afterwards...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:I think its a bit harsh to expect an infielder like Valbuena to become a serviceable outfielder overnight... he has very little experience in the outfield.

Not having experience as a "serviceable" outfielder is a pretty big part of the problem.. being afraid to try.. is a MUCH bigger problem.. not being able is the result..

Well then Valbuena will be fine, since he has been trying and has shown he's not afraid to. :s_thumbsup
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 am

...has shown he's not afraid...
By pulling up on a fly ball when the game was clearly on the line & letting the ball drop.. Valbuena exhibited his fear of failure... He's not going to be fine. He's not going to be okay.. The only thing he's shown is that he is afraid. That kind of fear will net the young man a long career riding on buses. Not exactly "okay".. :cry:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
...has shown he's not afraid...
By pulling up on a fly ball when the game was clearly on the line & letting the ball drop.. Valbuena exhibited his fear of failure... He's not going to be fine. He's not going to be okay.. The only thing he's shown is that he is afraid. That kind of fear will net the young man a long career riding on buses. Not exactly "okay".. :cry:

ha, the only thing Valbuena did wrong there was that he forgot to strap on his jetpack before going out to play LF as that would have been the only way he'd have gotten to the ball, dive or no dive.

Fear of failure? Yeah, he didn't dive because he was afraid. Had nothing to do with the fact that he'd have ended up no where near the ball if he'd have dove. His only chance was to get the ball and hope the guy coming around 3rd blew out his knee and he'd have been able to throw him out. Diving for the ball would have been as useless as a scouting report from ink.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GoTribe028 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:30 pm

I really am starting to have a lot of hatred for Bruce Drennan. Paul Hoynes levels of hate.

He's on the Clippers broadcast and he flat out, no reason other than he jumped to this conclusion that "Mets had scouts at Akron yesterday to scout Pomeranz for a Beltran deal" I'm not sure why, but that seriously pissed me off.

And holy crap Mike Lamb is still playing?!
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:I really am starting to have a lot of hatred for Bruce Drennan. Paul Hoynes levels of hate.

He's on the Clippers broadcast and he flat out, no reason other than he jumped to this conclusion that "Mets had scouts at Akron yesterday to scout Pomeranz for a Beltran deal" I'm not sure why, but that seriously pissed me off.

And holy crap Mike Lamb is still playing?!

That's why I haven't watched a show of Drennan's in a year and a half.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby TAIWANSOCOOL » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:45 pm

CC LEE finally gave up his first "unearned run" run.. in last 14 inings...
TAIWANSOCOOL
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby indiansfan055 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

http://twitter.com/#!/Gotribe31/status/94414044836012032

Beau Mills called up to Columbus according to this tweet.

Also confirmed by Hoynes among many other sources. Best of luck to him.
indiansfan055
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby moonballz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

SCOTT, GET WELL SOON. LOVE, DAD
moonballz
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Nick Johnson with his 3rd HR in the last 6 games tonight.

Maybe he's finally getting his strength back and could be an option down the stretch for the Tribe?!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby martyinnewyork » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:41 am

Jason Donald is the forgotten man... he's hitting around .500 in his last ten games and isn't even mentioned by Tony as possible help down on the farm... Kip gets called up while in a 3-31 slump...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby OhioBaseball » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 am

martyinnewyork wrote:Jason Donald is the forgotten man... he's hitting around .500 in his last ten games and isn't even mentioned by Tony as possible help down on the farm... Kip gets called up while in a 3-31 slump...

It's possible there are problems with Donald that aren't apparent, but I don't understand why he's still in Triple-A. Donald is a good talent; more talented than Kipnis and Phelps from a tools standpoint. Donald was a top prospect in high school, was one of the top amateur prospects after his freshman season at Arizona (disappointed his soph and junior years), and was a top 100 prospect after a great year in the Eastern League in 2008. Donald is not the quintessential no-tools guy that tops out at AAA. Some injuries have slowed him down, but this guy is 26 years old (entering his prime) and to me is the clear guy to be using at either 3b or 2b right now. Don't understand why the Indians are ignoring him. He is playing well right now.
OhioBaseball
Single-A Phenom

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:32 am

I truly hope the Indians are only keeping Orlando Cabrera around for one more week in the vain hope that he can be used as trade fodder or something. By the 1st of August, O-Cab should be gone and Donald promoted as the utility guy, unless there's some unexplained reason why Donald can't do that.

Among all AL qualifying hitters, Cabrera is currently 3rd worst in OBP, 5th worst in OPS, and sees fewer pitches per at-bat than anyone.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Does anyone who knows more than I do have an opinion on Hagadone? Would think he'd be in line for a call-up if Raffy Perez is traded as some rumors suggest.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:16 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Does anyone who knows more than I do have an opinion on Hagadone? Would think he'd be in line for a call-up if Raffy Perez is traded as some rumors suggest.

I don't know anymore than you do but it stands to reason that a LHP who hasn't given up an earned run in a month and is devastating against LH batters would be near the top of replacements for your LH situational RP. Evenmoreso, with his age and being on the 40. Expect growing pains like the rest of the rookies but it would surprise me if he is not a keeper quite soon. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:47 pm

OhioBaseball wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Jason Donald is the forgotten man... he's hitting around .500 in his last ten games and isn't even mentioned by Tony as possible help down on the farm... Kip gets called up while in a 3-31 slump...

It's possible there are problems with Donald that aren't apparent, but I don't understand why he's still in Triple-A. Donald is a good talent; more talented than Kipnis and Phelps from a tools standpoint. Donald was a top prospect in high school, was one of the top amateur prospects after his freshman season at Arizona (disappointed his soph and junior years), and was a top 100 prospect after a great year in the Eastern League in 2008. Donald is not the quintessential no-tools guy that tops out at AAA. Some injuries have slowed him down, but this guy is 26 years old (entering his prime) and to me is the clear guy to be using at either 3b or 2b right now. Don't understand why the Indians are ignoring him. He is playing well right now.

I agree with you, Donald has been on the good prospect radar screen for some time, and except for injury problems he still seems like a potentially decent infielder to me.

Also don't understand why they'd start non-prospect Joe Martinez today, and put Espino in as a relief pitcher. Why not give Espino the start, and let Martinez come in as a relief pitcher? Espino did well as a starter last week, and has done so repeatedly in the past.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:55 am

artgold wrote:I agree with you, Donald has been on the good prospect radar screen for some time, and except for injury problems he still seems like a potentially decent infielder to me.

Also don't understand why they'd start non-prospect Joe Martinez today, and put Espino in as a relief pitcher. Why not give Espino the start, and let Martinez come in as a relief pitcher? Espino did well as a starter last week, and has done so repeatedly in the past.

That's been asked since the beginning of the season. The Indians apparently value him more, is the answer.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:52 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:Does anyone who knows more than I do have an opinion on Hagadone? Would think he'd be in line for a call-up if Raffy Perez is traded as some rumors suggest.

I don't know anymore than you do but it stands to reason that a LHP who hasn't given up an earned run in a month and is devastating against LH batters would be near the top of replacements for your LH situational RP. Evenmoreso, with his age and being on the 40. Expect growing pains like the rest of the rookies but it would surprise me if he is not a keeper quite soon. :pleasantry:

Well Hagadone did give up an earned run just 2 outings ago.

But do think he could be pitching in the MLs right now. Got hit hard in June but settled down the last 3-4 weeks. Also gotta like his 8-1 K-BB ratio against righties.

As far as growing pains...definately could be the case. Then again, we've seen a number of times rookie relievers coming in and have very good success right away. Even a guy like Jensen Lewis was solid in 2007 (and Hagadone has better stuff). Pestano this year has shown great poise as well. :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Well Hagadone did give up an earned run just 2 outings ago.

But do think he could be pitching in the MLs right now. Got hit hard in June but settled down the last 3-4 weeks. Also gotta like his 8-1 K-BB ratio against righties.

As far as growing pains...definately could be the case. Then again, we've seen a number of times rookie relievers coming in and have very good success right away. Even a guy like Jensen Lewis was solid in 2007 (and Hagadone has better stuff). Pestano this year has shown great poise as well. :drinks:

You are right Hermie! How about that! Maybe you will shut up now!!! That fact had nothing to to with the question or the thread and is just your usual BS picking flyshit out of pepper. :bad:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:07 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:You are right Hermie! How about that! Maybe you will shut up now!!! That fact had nothing to to with the question or the thread and is just your usual BS picking flyshit out of pepper. :bad:

wow, must be that time of the month :rolleyes:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:You are right Hermie! How about that! Maybe you will shut up now!!! That fact had nothing to to with the question or the thread and is just your usual BS picking flyshit out of pepper. :bad:

wow, must be that time of the month :rolleyes:

Only for you Hermi(on)e! :wink:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Back to baseball please.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Potential biggie going on in Syracuse. Why didn't Germano pitch like this in Cleveland?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm

A PERFECT GAME FOR JUSTIN GERMANO!!!
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm

7Ks in the 95 pitch masterpiece for Germano.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:A PERFECT GAME FOR JUSTIN GERMANO!!!

How many AAA clubs (or ball club in general) can say they have not 1...but 2 pitchers on their club with a Perfect Game!?! :shok:

Congrats to Germano, what a game :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Been looking but have not seen who replaces Smith. Anyone else find out anything? Thought it might be reactivating Goedert but I understand that happened well before the trade. Miller or Bryson seem most likely to me.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:29 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Been looking but have not seen who replaces Smith. Anyone else find out anything? Thought it might be reactivating Goedert but I understand that happened well before the trade. Miller or Bryson seem most likely to me.

Curious myself. I don't know roster rules for AAA intimately, but I think CBus has 2 open spots (unless Talbot's rehab assignment actually takes a roster spot).
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:13 pm

Clippers actually have two open roster spots.

Maybe no move because Indians expect a trade to fill a spot or they will be taking more players away. Or players who are in line for promo from Akron are in play for a trade. Who knows.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Is Thomas Neal playing tonight? While stalking his twitter page I saw this little nugget:

"That was the hitting session I needed. I haven't hit like that all year. Can't wait to join my @CLBClippers teammates 2morrow. #Excited"

That was yesterday, apparently he's en route to Columbus today. Anybody know if he's healthy enough to play or is he just joining the team?
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby martyinnewyork » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Neal is on the 7-day DL...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:45 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Neal is on the 7-day DL...

Yes Neal is on the DL with no firm date for return. I thought I read somewhere that Langwell was brought up to replace Smith. Seems within the realm of possibility but is it right? :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Another HR by Head today. Too bad those pitchers keep missing the holes in his swing.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Langwell was promoted to Columbus yesterday and they signed FA Argenis Reyes.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Jared Head on fire!

Homered in his 4th straight game today to give him 19 on the season.

The guy deserves a cup of coffee this year but I find it hard to see the Tribe finding any 40-man room for him to have a look in September.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Indians Prospect Talk