RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Rehab thought

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Rehab thought

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:31 pm

If Sizemore and/or Donald nee to continue rehab through the 29th, do they:

a) keep them in the high minors and have them travel to Binghamton or Gwinnett

b) keep them close and assign them to Low A Lake County

c) send them to XST in Goodyear

I'm guessing that they send them to LC. Keeping them close seems to be the overriding concern.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Re: Rehab thought

Postby daingean » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Upper Box Woodchuck wrote:If Sizemore and/or Donald nee to continue rehab through the 29th, do they:

a) keep them in the high minors and have them travel to Binghamton or Gwinnett

b) keep them close and assign them to Low A Lake County

c) send them to XST in Goodyear

I'm guessing that they send them to LC. Keeping them close seems to be the overriding concern.

With Sizemore they won't have a choice. Either bring him up or send him to XST. I think they will bring him up. Donald would need to get optioned to AAA which could happen.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

I wasn't referring ot the rehab stint length, I was referring to the fact that the Clippers and Aeros both go on the road beginning the 29th, thus making proximity and level of play (close and in the high minors is considered ideal for rehab stints) an "either/or" decision. I have to believbe that they could put them on a second 20-day rehab assignment if necessary.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm

But rehabing on the 29th is not an option. Position players only get 20 days of rehab. Pitchers get 30 days.

Since both Donald and Sizemore were on rehab prior to April 9, the 29th is beyond the 20 day period.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:30 pm

How long of a gap is there after a stint before a guy can be put on rehab again or does he have to be on the active roster first and put back on the DL first (i.e. one shot at rehab per injury and then he has to come back cold if he relapses)?

By the way, i think Donald was just officially assigned today, so the 29th would be the last day he could be on rehab.
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Postby petes999 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I would think Sizemore would be up as soon as possible even if it is not 20 days. If I am not mistaken, 20 day rehab is a fixed amount for a 15 day DL. If someone has a setback, they can quit his rehab. However, once it starts it is a running clock - reason why pitchers have a longer period for the days off.

And, in the past, they usually kept players close to Cleveland and shuffling them around to different teams so that (1) they don't need to take a long bus ride and (2) the top brass can come in and monitor their rehab.
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

My guess is Sizmeore goes to Columbus this weekend. Stays with team through their homestand which ends on April 25th. Then he rejoins Indians when they return home on the 26th.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Upper Box Woodchuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:18 am

TonyIPI wrote:My guess is Sizmeore goes to Columbus this weekend. Stays with team through their homestand which ends on April 25th. Then he rejoins Indians when they return home on the 26th.

Thanks for the insight!
Upper Box Woodchuck
Single-A Phenom

Return to Indians Prospect Talk