RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Columbus Infield

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Columbus Infield

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 am

I do not see how this works especially if Josh Rodriguez comes back.

Cord Phelps, Jason Kipnis, Lonnie Chisenall and Valbuena. Add in J Rod - and how do the guys get playing time.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby osueddy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:26 am

Phelps will DH a lot in this lineup.

If we get J-Rod back, which I doubt, then I would guess that Valbuena would either make the ML roster or he would be released.
osueddy
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: Carrollton, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:50 am

Bearcatbob wrote:I do not see how this works especially if Josh Rodriguez comes back.

Cord Phelps, Jason Kipnis, Lonnie Chisenall and Valbuena. Add in J Rod - and how do the guys get playing time.

Bob


Chiz (3B) and Kipnis (2b) the regulars. Valbuena the SS. Phelps plays 2 games a week at 3B and 2B and DHs 2 games. If JRod comes back he becomes the SS and Valby is either dumped or is the utility guy instead of someone like Everrett or Arnal.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:52 am

The real question is how do they get all the guys into LF and 1B in Columbus. The Weglarz injury helps some in that regard....but Brown, Head, Hodges, McBride, and Huffman for three spots in 1B, LF, and RF. One or two prob have to go.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:38 am

TonyIPI wrote:The real question is how do they get all the guys into LF and 1B in Columbus. The Weglarz injury helps some in that regard....but Brown, Head, Hodges, McBride, and Huffman for three spots in 1B, LF, and RF. One or two prob have to go.

Hey Tony, I am not sure why we care about any of that group? There are no serious ML prospects in that group. Just a bunch of old guys hanging around. Weglarz is the only potential corner OF/1B talent above A ball. Pretty dismal to concern ourselves with organizational players on a prospect blog. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Edible14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 pm

TonyIPI wrote:The real question is how do they get all the guys into LF and 1B in Columbus. The Weglarz injury helps some in that regard....but Brown, Head, Hodges, McBride, and Huffman for three spots in 1B, LF, and RF. One or two prob have to go.


Any chance one of them goes to Akron and supplants Mills as 1B? Or are the Indians content to give Mills another year to turn it around?
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Edible14 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:The real question is how do they get all the guys into LF and 1B in Columbus. The Weglarz injury helps some in that regard....but Brown, Head, Hodges, McBride, and Huffman for three spots in 1B, LF, and RF. One or two prob have to go.


Any chance one of them goes to Akron and supplants Mills as 1B? Or are the Indians content to give Mills another year to turn it around?


I think Mills still has the power potential to take a step further but I could see a McBride or Hodges being sent down to challenge him. For Hodges it would be a wake-up call but for McBride it may just sour him.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby davidkey » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Head, Hodges and Brown bring nothing to the table. Nothing but organizational filler. I think they're all very expendable.

McBride, on the other hand, is a RH bat who's shown power at about all minor league levels. He's a bit injury prone and streaky, but can play 1B, DH, OF (in dire circumstances) and C (in dire circumstances....he did come up as a catcher). I'd like to see him stick around. I also recently posted in another thread that I'd like to see Huffman stick around (I actually prefer him over Mary Shelley's Shelley Duncan on the ML roster), as he is another RH bat who's athletic enough to play some OF, and of course could DH.
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 pm

TonyIPI wrote:The real question is how do they get all the guys into LF and 1B in Columbus. The Weglarz injury helps some in that regard....but Brown, Head, Hodges, McBride, and Huffman for three spots in 1B, LF, and RF. One or two prob have to go.


Not to mention Goedert when he gets healthy too.


And Crowe....who I think should be DFAed. Carrera has CF locked up....LF/RF is just too crowded IMO to keep Crowe on the 40-man at his age in Columbus.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby timdav » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:39 pm

I've read that Cleveland wants Joe Martinez to be a starter at AAA.

That would probably mean Columbus starting rotation would be: Gomez, Huff, Mc Allister, White, and Martinez.

I'm guessing Todd won't make the big team roster to open the season, and is likely to be the AAA closer.

Anybody heard any updates today?
timdav
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:07 pm

timdav wrote:I've read that Cleveland wants Joe Martinez to be a starter at AAA.
That would probably mean Columbus starting rotation would be: Gomez, Huff, Mc Allister, White, and Martinez.
I'm guessing Todd won't make the big team roster to open the season, and is likely to be the AAA closer.
Anybody heard any updates today?


Until I see White in Cbus, I figure he starts the season in Akron. One name you didn't list among the possible Cbus starters is Corey Kluber. With Corey already on the 40 man, I figure they see him as a depth guy already and with White needing to work on his secondary pitches, I'm guessing they will want him where he had some success before so they can build off of that and show how important the secondary stuff is.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Don't think Crowe will get dfa he might get sent to Pittsburgh for a Ptnbl or cash once he is healthy. I've heard nothing on him but might be placed on 60 day dl to start the season, has he even been in camp? From my understanding he has not been in sight.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
timdav wrote:I've read that Cleveland wants Joe Martinez to be a starter at AAA.
That would probably mean Columbus starting rotation would be: Gomez, Huff, Mc Allister, White, and Martinez.
I'm guessing Todd won't make the big team roster to open the season, and is likely to be the AAA closer.
Anybody heard any updates today?


Until I see White in Cbus, I figure he starts the season in Akron. One name you didn't list among the possible Cbus starters is Corey Kluber. With Corey already on the 40 man, I figure they see him as a depth guy already and with White needing to work on his secondary pitches, I'm guessing they will want him where he had some success before so they can build off of that and show how important the secondary stuff is.


I guess I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Kluber would stat in C-bus??

Personally would have no issue with White starting in Akron. Doesn't prevent him from possibly getting to Cleveland if he earns it and doesn't really hinder his development one bit.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 pm

Yeah, if Martinez is going to start in Columbus, then with GOmez, Huff, McAllister, and Kluber already in the rotation there it would seem White may start at least the first 4-8 weeks in Akron. Also, what about Anthony Reyes? That's another guy who is now healthy and will factor into the Columbus rotation.

Really going to be interesting to see how they handle all these guys at COlumbus this year. The injuries to Wegz, Crowe, Goedert, etc have helped for now....but its gonna get more crowded than it already is very soon.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Another question bout the Columbus infield....who's at short if Valbuena gets DFAed or traded (as being suggested in the papers) and doesn't stick with the tribe?

Do they force Phelps? Bring up Lawson from AA (my personal choice)? Maybe Nix doesn't get claimed and accepts a minor league assignment (should he get DFAed as well)? Then again....Valbuena could go unclaimed I suppose.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Edible14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Another question bout the Columbus infield....who's at short if Valbuena gets DFAed or traded (as being suggested in the papers) and doesn't stick with the tribe?

Do they force Phelps? Bring up Lawson from AA (my personal choice)? Maybe Nix doesn't get claimed and accepts a minor league assignment (should he get DFAed as well)? Then again....Valbuena could go unclaimed I suppose.


I think it will probably end up being a platoon situation with either Arnal or Lawson. Even though I doubt he's a legit option there long-term, I can see the Indians deciding to give Phelps the odd start at SS. It won't be his primary position, but I imagine that if Phelps is being developed as a utility guy, then getting him some exposure at SS on days where Chiz and Kipnis are both at their respective positions wouldn't be a bad idea.

Though I think Valbuena is just optioned down. Though, in all honesty, I doubt anyone would claim him if he was DFA'd. His defense is below average even at his best position, and his hitting isn't that good even if you think that he'll totally recover from last year. I just can't imagine anyone claiming him right now, when most teams are going through the roster crunch.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Another question bout the Columbus infield....who's at short if Valbuena gets DFAed or traded (as being suggested in the papers) and doesn't stick with the tribe?

Do they force Phelps? Bring up Lawson from AA (my personal choice)? Maybe Nix doesn't get claimed and accepts a minor league assignment (should he get DFAed as well)? Then again....Valbuena could go unclaimed I suppose.


I think it will probably end up being a platoon situation with either Arnal or Lawson. Even though I doubt he's a legit option there long-term, I can see the Indians deciding to give Phelps the odd start at SS. It won't be his primary position, but I imagine that if Phelps is being developed as a utility guy, then getting him some exposure at SS on days where Chiz and Kipnis are both at their respective positions wouldn't be a bad idea.

Though I think Valbuena is just optioned down. Though, in all honesty, I doubt anyone would claim him if he was DFA'd. His defense is below average even at his best position, and his hitting isn't that good even if you think that he'll totally recover from last year. I just can't imagine anyone claiming him right now, when most teams are going through the roster crunch.


my guess is either Lawson or someone from the released pile. This would be until Donald is available then it will either be Donald or Everett.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 pm

daingean wrote:my guess is either Lawson or someone from the released pile. This would be until Donald is available then it will either be Donald or Everett.


Donald available? Are you saying you think Donald would go to AAA and start at SS once healthy? I hope tha'ts not the case as then the Tribe would be breaking their own unwritten rule about a player not losing his job to injury. Donald should get 3B back when healthy since it was pretty much his before the finger.

In either case.....Everett doesn't seem like an option since he probably makes the club, then can't be optioned down (and would likely refuse the job anyways).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Edible14 wrote:I think it will probably end up being a platoon situation with either Arnal or Lawson. Even though I doubt he's a legit option there long-term, I can see the Indians deciding to give Phelps the odd start at SS. It won't be his primary position, but I imagine that if Phelps is being developed as a utility guy, then getting him some exposure at SS on days where Chiz and Kipnis are both at their respective positions wouldn't be a bad idea.

Though I think Valbuena is just optioned down. Though, in all honesty, I doubt anyone would claim him if he was DFA'd. His defense is below average even at his best position, and his hitting isn't that good even if you think that he'll totally recover from last year. I just can't imagine anyone claiming him right now, when most teams are going through the roster crunch.


I agree mostly. I hope you're right on Valby just being optioned down (though if we go with a backup catcher other than Marson things could get dicey). While I think you would be right on him sneaking thru waivers.....a team like the Phillies that are dealing with tons of injuries could possibly take a look. Heck, Wilson Valdez may be their opening day 3B! lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
daingean wrote:my guess is either Lawson or someone from the released pile. This would be until Donald is available then it will either be Donald or Everett.


Donald available? Are you saying you think Donald would go to AAA and start at SS once healthy? I hope tha'ts not the case as then the Tribe would be breaking their own unwritten rule about a player not losing his job to injury. Donald should get 3B back when healthy since it was pretty much his before the finger.

In either case.....Everett doesn't seem like an option since he probably makes the club, then can't be optioned down (and would likely refuse the job anyways).


Donald could go down on a rehab assignment to get some AB's. Then again, anything can happen between now and then. And I do think Everett would go down with an out clause while his agent puts out feelers for interest.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:12 pm

I haven't heard they are trying to trade Valbuena...only that they are trying to trade Nix. I think Valby is the shortstop in Columbus.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 pm

TonyIPI wrote:I haven't heard they are trying to trade Valbuena...only that they are trying to trade Nix. I think Valby is the shortstop in Columbus.


This is coming out of the Cleveland papers.....could obviously be completely unfounded though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I haven't heard they are trying to trade Valbuena...only that they are trying to trade Nix. I think Valby is the shortstop in Columbus.


This is coming out of the Cleveland papers.....could obviously be completely unfounded though.


What Cleveland papers though? The only trade Hoynes is talking about is Nix....nothing about Valbuena.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:27 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I haven't heard they are trying to trade Valbuena...only that they are trying to trade Nix. I think Valby is the shortstop in Columbus.


This is coming out of the Cleveland papers.....could obviously be completely unfounded though.


What Cleveland papers though? The only trade Hoynes is talking about is Nix....nothing about Valbuena.


Sorry, technically it was Akron.....I consider them one and the same though.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/indians/118757324.html

It is likely that the Tribe placed certain players on waivers and will learn today whether they cleared. Also, the club has been shopping Luis Valbuena for several weeks without success.

In addition to Valbuena, which players have the Indians probably put on the waiver wire? The likely candidates are Jayson Nix and Jess Todd.




Again, could have been complete nonsense, but just passing along the info as given in the papers.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:50 pm

It seems to me as thought the Indians' org is not high on Phelps as a true prospect. Playing him at several different positions the entire season only heightens his value as a utility player and does nothing for his development as an everyday player.

I personally think they're underestimating his potential. I think Phelps would be far better off being traded to a team that sees him as an everyday player and maybe the Indians can pick up a good young lower level prospect.

Of course, maybe I'm misinterpreting they're intentions.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:It seems to me as thought the Indians' org is not high on Phelps as a true prospect. Playing him at several different positions the entire season only heightens his value as a utility player and does nothing for his development as an everyday player.

I personally think they're underestimating his potential. I think Phelps would be far better off being traded to a team that sees him as an everyday player and maybe the Indians can pick up a good young lower level prospect.

Of course, maybe I'm misinterpreting they're intentions.


Could argue that Phelps showing the ability to play multiple positions though increases his trade value to another club. Seems as though the Tribe is deadset on getting him everyday at bats (or close to it), so they must like him (obviously not as much as Chiz and Kipnis though).

Will say this, part of me would like to see Kipnis open at 2B in Akron for a month at least. Let Phelps get everyday time at 2B. Cleans up some of the clutter at Columbus and gives you and extra month to sort through it all. Kipnis didn't have the best spring and only has half a year at AA, so not like it would be a real demotion for him (even though he did DH in the playoffs for Columbus). Doesn't sound likely though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TitoFrancona » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm

Hermie13 wrote: Could argue that Phelps showing the ability to play multiple positions though increases his trade value to another club. Seems as though the Tribe is deadset on getting him everyday at bats (or close to it), so they must like him (obviously not as much as Chiz and Kipnis though).

Will say this, part of me would like to see Kipnis open at 2B in Akron for a month at least. Let Phelps get everyday time at 2B. Cleans up some of the clutter at Columbus and gives you and extra month to sort through it all. Kipnis didn't have the best spring and only has half a year at AA, so not like it would be a real demotion for him (even though he did DH in the playoffs for Columbus). Doesn't sound likely though.


Can't disagree with you there. I don't see Kipnis spending a month in Akron as pushing his time table back at all.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:30 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
Hermie13 wrote: Could argue that Phelps showing the ability to play multiple positions though increases his trade value to another club. Seems as though the Tribe is deadset on getting him everyday at bats (or close to it), so they must like him (obviously not as much as Chiz and Kipnis though).

Will say this, part of me would like to see Kipnis open at 2B in Akron for a month at least. Let Phelps get everyday time at 2B. Cleans up some of the clutter at Columbus and gives you and extra month to sort through it all. Kipnis didn't have the best spring and only has half a year at AA, so not like it would be a real demotion for him (even though he did DH in the playoffs for Columbus). Doesn't sound likely though.


Can't disagree with you there. I don't see Kipnis spending a month in Akron as pushing his time table back at all.

Funny, Tony and I had this very same conversation in ST after watching Kipnis at 2B. There is no doubt in my mind that Kipnis has better defensive ceiling at 2B than Phelps at this time. And I like his bat a little bit more than Phelps but IMHO Kipnis could stand some more work at AA defense. Personally, I do not think Kipnis will be defensive ready for the majors this year and there is no reason that I can see to rush him. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby elrod enchilada » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Unless Cord Phelps is so horrible at shortstop that the pitching staff threatens an armed uprising (pun intended), I have no problem with him playing a majority of the games there. That way Phelps, who remains a legitimate prospect, does not get dizzy trying to remember what position he is playing, and he can work on his game in a relatively stable environment. That work he gets at short help his utility credentials and keep him fresh for work at 3rd and 2nd down the road.

Most important, Phelps at short means Chiz and Kip can play all the time at 3rd and 2nd; they both need the reps.

The only loser here, aside from the pitchers, may be Luis Valbuena. But to me right now Phelps is a higher priority than Valbuena. It is that simple.
elrod enchilada
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Unless Cord Phelps is so horrible at shortstop that the pitching staff threatens an armed uprising (pun intended), I have no problem with him playing a majority of the games there. That way Phelps, who remains a legitimate prospect, does not get dizzy trying to remember what position he is playing, and he can work on his game in a relatively stable environment. That work he gets at short help his utility credentials and keep him fresh for work at 3rd and 2nd down the road.

Most important, Phelps at short means Chiz and Kip can play all the time at 3rd and 2nd; they both need the reps.

The only loser here, aside from the pitchers, may be Luis Valbuena. But to me right now Phelps is a higher priority than Valbuena. It is that simple.

I like the idea, ee. I just think Phelps is too big to play SS now with his range issues. Given what I see as organizational shortcomings, I would rather he spend the extra time at 1B and corner OF. I see a player with good arm and hands that might make a good "super" utility player. I know a lot of us like Phelps and the decision where to play him is a tough one. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm

At this point why not give him some reps at SS - not every day but 1 game per week or so? Have him at 2nd in AAA until Donald comes back from the DL. Meanwhile start the season with Kipnis in AA and call him up to Columbus when Donald returns to the ML team. Boot Everitt for Donald and move Hannahan to the Util spot and have Phelps slide into super utility mode at AAA and Kipnis as the everyday 2nd baseman. For Phelps 1-2 games at 2nd,SS and 3B per week rest of the time DH... Sounds good to me.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:53 pm

elrod enchilada wrote:Unless Cord Phelps is so horrible at shortstop that the pitching staff threatens an armed uprising (pun intended), I have no problem with him playing a majority of the games there. That way Phelps, who remains a legitimate prospect, does not get dizzy trying to remember what position he is playing, and he can work on his game in a relatively stable environment. That work he gets at short help his utility credentials and keep him fresh for work at 3rd and 2nd down the road.

Most important, Phelps at short means Chiz and Kip can play all the time at 3rd and 2nd; they both need the reps.

The only loser here, aside from the pitchers, may be Luis Valbuena. But to me right now Phelps is a higher priority than Valbuena. It is that simple.


Valid points. Though just to play devil's advocate......what happens if Phelps ends up even worse at SS than some of us suspect and it gets so bad that even his hitting starts to suffer? Now you got a prospect that's only fringe-top that can't hit and really has no position.

Not saying your idea is wrong....honestly doesn't look like a good way to handle Phelps...other than to start Kip at AA. And while that idea works, it really should be about what's best for Kipnis, not Phelps. I agree, Kipnis needs work at 2B....though AA vs AAA don't really think it makes much difference.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I like the idea, ee. I just think Phelps is too big to play SS now with his range issues. Given what I see as organizational shortcomings, I would rather he spend the extra time at 1B and corner OF. I see a player with good arm and hands that might make a good "super" utility player. I know a lot of us like Phelps and the decision where to play him is a tough one. :friends:


Did anyone every find out if Keith Law just made a typo when he did his Tribe top 10? He did list Phelps in LF....assuming it was a typo, but I do think you bring up a point there about him possibly fitting as a super utility guy even in the OF. I mean....we are after all talking about the same organization that played Barfield and Garko in the OF. Don't see why Phelps couldn't become at worst a Nix-type of player.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Edible14 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Not saying your idea is wrong....honestly doesn't look like a good way to handle Phelps...other than to start Kip at AA. And while that idea works, it really should be about what's best for Kipnis, not Phelps. I agree, Kipnis needs work at 2B....though AA vs AAA don't really think it makes much difference.


Not accusing you (your post just reminded me of this thought), but I don't think you can make the argument that it's okay and not a big deal if White starts at AA and not have that extend to Kipnis. Both are in the exact same position. Both won't be Rule V eligible after this year, both have only played one year professionally and split time between Kinston/Akron, and (most importantly) both are at positions where there are plenty of legit prospects ahead of them that need sorting through even though they don't have as high of a ceiling. I don't see any real reason one has to start in CBus and the other one doesn't have to.

That being said, nobody from the org seems to be even suggesting that Kipnis will start in Akron, so... there. Though, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I can see it working like this:

Level: SS - 2B - Utility
Cleveland: ACab - OCab - Everett
Columbus: Valbuena - Phelps - Lawson
Akron: Diaz - Kipnis - ?

When Donald gets back, you boot Everett or Hannahan. At some point this year, you boot the other and call up Valbuena or Phelps (or an injury occurs, or OCab is traded, etc.), then call Kipnis up. All the important guys get the ABs they need (Lawson should be considered lower priority than Phelps, so him getting every-day at-bats in Akron seems like a waste). Would also free up the DH spot for a guy like Goedert, Brown, McBride or Huffman to get ABs in Columbus.
User avatar
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:49 am

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:27 pm

Edible14 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Not saying your idea is wrong....honestly doesn't look like a good way to handle Phelps...other than to start Kip at AA. And while that idea works, it really should be about what's best for Kipnis, not Phelps. I agree, Kipnis needs work at 2B....though AA vs AAA don't really think it makes much difference.


Not accusing you (your post just reminded me of this thought), but I don't think you can make the argument that it's okay and not a big deal if White starts at AA and not have that extend to Kipnis. Both are in the exact same position. Both won't be Rule V eligible after this year, both have only played one year professionally and split time between Kinston/Akron, and (most importantly) both are at positions where there are plenty of legit prospects ahead of them that need sorting through even though they don't have as high of a ceiling. I don't see any real reason one has to start in CBus and the other one doesn't have to.

That being said, nobody from the org seems to be even suggesting that Kipnis will start in Akron, so... there. Though, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. I can see it working like this:

Level: SS - 2B - Utility
Cleveland: ACab - OCab - Everett
Columbus: Valbuena - Phelps - Lawson
Akron: Diaz - Kipnis - ?

When Donald gets back, you boot Everett or Hannahan. At some point this year, you boot the other and call up Valbuena or Phelps (or an injury occurs, or OCab is traded, etc.), then call Kipnis up. All the important guys get the ABs they need (Lawson should be considered lower priority than Phelps, so him getting every-day at-bats in Akron seems like a waste). Would also free up the DH spot for a guy like Goedert, Brown, McBride or Huffman to get ABs in Columbus.


For the record, I never said Kipnis should start at AAA. Simply that his defense (which I think we all agree needs work) can be worked on the same at AA and AAA really. I would personally like to have seen Kip at AA.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Beau Mills will likely open the season on the DL...may be out awhile. No official word on his injury, but when I was in Goodyear last week before leaving saw him in a walking boot on I believe his left leg. Seems like Indians are checking it out and doing due diligence on his medical condition.

With a big gaping hole now at first base as far as an option to play there, I wouldn't be surprised to see McBride open in Akron due to all the 1B/OF depth in Columbus.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:29 pm

Tony this question is probably more "aimed" at you but I'm interested in everyone's perspective. Kipnis gets alot of hipe and rightfully so, but I think Phelps gets overlooked in most discussions about the future of 2b. With that said, doesn't Phelps posess more all around skills than Kipnis? I know Kipnis has more power but from what I have observed Phelps is no slouch. I think the Indians are blessed to have both these kids and if Phelps is not in the mix he could be a valuable piece in a trade. Thoughts.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Tony this question is probably more "aimed" at you but I'm interested in everyone's perspective. Kipnis gets alot of hipe and rightfully so, but I think Phelps gets overlooked in most discussions about the future of 2b. With that said, doesn't Phelps posess more all around skills than Kipnis? I know Kipnis has more power but from what I have observed Phelps is no slouch. I think the Indians are blessed to have both these kids and if Phelps is not in the mix he could be a valuable piece in a trade. Thoughts.


Phelps is actually bigger than Kipnis. But size is not everything as Kipnis has some incredibly strong wrists and forearms which generates some very good bat speed. Just a more powerful hitter and squares up the ball more consistently. I mean, heck, Phelps is even bigger than Chisenhall I believe, yet Chisenhall clearly hits with more power.

I agree, Phelps is often overlooked. He's no slouch whatsoever, and I think he will be a solid big leaguer. If Kipnis were not here Phelps would be getting all the hype for 2B. Both are about the same in all other facets of the game with speed and arm strength. Phelps is the better defender now, but Kipnis projects to be the better one down the road. He really impresses teams with his quick hands especially on the double play. Shows decent range too. But the clear difference between the two is the bat....Kipnis' ceiling is just viewed so much higher.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks Tony! I thought Phelps was better defensively but I haven't seen enough to make an educated comment.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Thanks Tony! I thought Phelps was better defensively but I haven't seen enough to make an educated comment.
As if educated comments are an important part of posting.. smh..

Cord Phelps is the "gamer" in waiting. He's the heir apparent to Jason Donald, in that regard. He could be another Jamie Carroll type..or, perhaps, a Jed Lowrie type. Either way.. he can play. His Arizona Fall League was a real eye opener.. after a slow start defensively at 3B..he focussed on the task & played the games..

Phelps gets as much as anyone out of his talent/abilities. He's a smart guy too.. knows what to do and does it. He's a hard worker and more than deserving of the praise he has received...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby jellis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:Thanks Tony! I thought Phelps was better defensively but I haven't seen enough to make an educated comment.
As if educated comments are an important part of posting.. smh..

Cord Phelps is the "gamer" in waiting. He's the heir apparent to Jason Donald, in that regard. He could be another Jamie Carroll type..or, perhaps, a Jed Lowrie type. Either way.. he can play. His Arizona Fall League was a real eye opener.. after a slow start defensively at 3B..he focussed on the task & played the games..

Phelps gets as much as anyone out of his talent/abilities. He's a smart guy too.. knows what to do and does it. He's a hard worker and more than deserving of the praise he has received...


I think thats a bit unfair, he has a better eye then any of the listed comps. I think he could be an ideal 2 hitter for some team
jellis
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 am

jellis wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:Thanks Tony! I thought Phelps was better defensively but I haven't seen enough to make an educated comment.
As if educated comments are an important part of posting.. smh..

Cord Phelps is the "gamer" in waiting. He's the heir apparent to Jason Donald, in that regard. He could be another Jamie Carroll type..or, perhaps, a Jed Lowrie type. Either way.. he can play. His Arizona Fall League was a real eye opener.. after a slow start defensively at 3B..he focussed on the task & played the games..

Phelps gets as much as anyone out of his talent/abilities. He's a smart guy too.. knows what to do and does it. He's a hard worker and more than deserving of the praise he has received...


I think thats a bit unfair, he has a better eye then any of the listed comps. I think he could be an ideal 2 hitter for some team


While I feel that Kipnis is the long-term better prospect, I know this game and Phelps could emerge as the long-term player. Things happen when converting from prospect to major league player. Some emerge but others just can't make the transition. Phelps' advantage is he is a little more closer to the MLs which could be July of this year (if O-Cab is moved at the trade deadline). If Phelps comes up and grabs 2B and thrives. You just never really know.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby TitoFrancona » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

daingean wrote: While I feel that Kipnis is the long-term better prospect, I know this game and Phelps could emerge as the long-term player. Things happen when converting from prospect to major league player. Some emerge but others just can't make the transition. Phelps' advantage is he is a little more closer to the MLs which could be July of this year (if O-Cab is moved at the trade deadline). If Phelps comes up and grabs 2B and thrives. You just never really know.


I agree. I think Phelps has more potential than that of a UIF'er. And, if that's all the Indians view him as being (and there appears to be some indications they do) then I wished they would trade him to a team who thinks differently.
TitoFrancona
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
daingean wrote: While I feel that Kipnis is the long-term better prospect, I know this game and Phelps could emerge as the long-term player. Things happen when converting from prospect to major league player. Some emerge but others just can't make the transition. Phelps' advantage is he is a little more closer to the MLs which could be July of this year (if O-Cab is moved at the trade deadline). If Phelps comes up and grabs 2B and thrives. You just never really know.


I agree. I think Phelps has more potential than that of a UIF'er. And, if that's all the Indians view him as being (and there appears to be some indications they do) then I wished they would trade him to a team who thinks differently.


I don't think they feel that way about Phelps.....I just think he's a 2nd priority to Kipnis. They did send him to the AFL last year. I think because he's behind Kipnis in the prospect rankings that Kipnis will get a long look at 2nd. With Phelps they want to get him so AB's until he's ready and the ML team is ready for him. I do see Phelps getting a shot at 2nd when they trade O-Cab (which I see in July-ish). Then we shall see. One of those 2 should grab the 2nd job for the next 1/2 a decade in Cleveland. Plus competition makes one better which can only benefit the Major League club.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm

A lot of folks would be considered "wrong" about Kipnis if he were to be supplanted as the second baseman of the future with our Wahoos.. well.. it's not the first time.. and certainly won't be the last... Phelps' game is all about getting more than what you see.. so, he has a chance..a GOOD chance.... :clapping:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby daingean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:20 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:A lot of folks would be considered "wrong" about Kipnis if he were to be supplanted as the second baseman of the future with our Wahoos.. well.. it's not the first time.. and certainly won't be the last... Phelps' game is all about getting more than what you see.. so, he has a chance..a GOOD chance.... :clapping:


I consider Kipnis a good prospect but not a "Can't miss". I think he will be the starter for a while in Cleveland. On the other hand, I did consider Adam Miller to be a "can't miss" prospect. So, I have been wrong before. :pardon:
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: Columbus Infield

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:24 pm

daingean wrote:I consider Kipnis a good prospect but not a "Can't miss". I think he will be the starter for a while in Cleveland. On the other hand, I did consider Adam Miller to be a "can't miss" prospect. So, I have been wrong before. :pardon:


You and 99% of baseball fans out there my friend....that one still hurts.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH


Return to Indians Prospect Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron