RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

The 2011 Gallery

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Re: The 2011 Gallery

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Well we got to 20 submissions.
The emails with file copies will start going out tonight to those I have an email address.

If you want a copy, please send me a message with where to send it.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the work MT. Just a note that Matt Meyer is a typo, so everyone doesn't think senility has set in on Art.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:05 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Thanks for all the work MT. Just a note that Matt Meyer is a typo, so everyone doesn't think senility has set in on Art.

Sorry Art. Error on my part.

PCP - thanks for finding the mistake. At least it doesn't change the order.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:05 am

Awesome! thanks for putting this together - definitely some differing opinions..... It's great, thanks again for putting all that work into it! :good:
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby artgold » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks for the effort and correction, note to self is to look at more than just the top 10 listings.

I see my listing of Espino at #27 kept him off the "no vote" list, he owes me a good season...
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

The 2011 project is in the home-stretch now. I expect only 1 more submission for the publication/ blog page (Diamond Futures). Once it is in, there will be 21 listings on that page to craft one list of 'publication' averages. At this point I am considering taking the top 35 or 40 averages/ names.

The 'Gallery' had 20 submissions to craft its average list. I planning on using the top 35 on that list.

With finding a listing from Jonathon Mayo, the main page will have a total of 8 ranking sources (Tony, Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, John Sickels, Mayo, Keith Law, the Gallery avg list and the Publication avg list).

With luck, this project will be fully complete and sent out before the season opener.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:41 am

MadThinker88 wrote:The 2011 project is in the home-stretch now. I expect only 1 more submission for the publication/ blog page (Diamond Futures). Once it is in, there will be 21 listings on that page to craft one list of 'publication' averages. At this point I am considering taking the top 35 or 40 averages/ names.

The 'Gallery' had 20 submissions to craft its average list. I planning on using the top 35 on that list.

With finding a listing from Jonathon Mayo, the main page will have a total of 8 ranking sources (Tony, Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, John Sickels, Mayo, Keith Law, the Gallery avg list and the Publication avg list).

With luck, this project will be fully complete and sent out before the season opener.

Awesome! I know this has to be a good amount of work and I thank you for it! - just in a quick glance I have noticed that the posters have ranked Bryson higher than Tony and the pro-rankers, but the one that stands out the most to me is Chen as most of the posters (if not all) had him in the top 10 while in my quick looking appears to be quite a bit lower on the experts lists.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Regarding Chen...most of the amateurs have him in the "8" range.. lowest is 12/13... A breakout season coupled with a lack of pedigree (high draft spot) tends to be looked at with a jaundiced eye by the experts...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Chen was one of the prospects that I watched closely in ST since Tony and I had some difference in our evaluation. First, let me say, I agree with Tony's assessment of his current skill level. His catching defense, including throwing, is pretty much average. His blocking skills and popup might improve but I would guess his throwing won't get much better than it is now. He will never be Santana with his arm. Given his comparative lack of experience behind the plate, I could see a B-/C+ ML catcher. As an aside, his English skills look pretty good but his Spanish needs help.

As a hitter, he has huge potential IMO. In an intrasquad game, I saw him hit a 450 ft HR of a Pomeranz fast ball to dead center. He has very good bat speed and makes very solid contact. Nice plate discipline and seems to recognize pitches pretty well. If he is to become an elite hitter, I think he will need to learn how to pull the ball more consistently than he does now. I would be interested in hearing if ktriber and the kinston crowd noticed that tendency over a longer run than the three times I watched him play this spring.

I think it is possible he will be the best RH hitter in the organization at this time. Yes, he has some work to do but I think the talent is there. It is not uncommon for Tony and I to disagree on the potential of some of our prospects. In this case, I stick with my original ranking. :friends:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby artgold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm

If Chen's bat continues to impress, and Santana establishes himself as a "plus" major league catcher, I suspect Chen may get a look at 1st base too.

I have some concerns about LaPorta, and if he continues to look like a poor man's Ben Broussard or Ryan Garko, I think the Tribe may start to reluctantly consider some alternatives.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:11 pm

artgold wrote:If Chen's bat continues to impress, and Santana establishes himself as a "plus" major league catcher, I suspect Chen may get a look at 1st base too.

I have some concerns about LaPorta, and if he continues to look like a poor man's Ben Broussard or Ryan Garko, I think the Tribe may start to reluctantly consider some alternatives.

Like you, I have not 'given up" on LaPorta but the organization really does not have a top prospect at 1B if he does not succeed. It does seem to me that there should be plenty of ABs for Chen between backup catcher, DH and 1B to make him a valuable prospect at this time. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby davidkey » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:13 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Chen was one of the prospects that I watched closely in ST since Tony and I had some difference in our evaluation. First, let me say, I agree with Tony's assessment of his current skill level. His catching defense, including throwing, is pretty much average. His blocking skills and popup might improve but I would guess his throwing won't get much better than it is now. He will never be Santana with his arm. Given his comparative lack of experience behind the plate, I could see a B-/C+ ML catcher. As an aside, his English skills look pretty good but his Spanish needs help.

As a hitter, he has huge potential IMO. In an intrasquad game, I saw him hit a 450 ft HR of a Pomeranz fast ball to dead center. He has very good bat speed and makes very solid contact. Nice plate discipline and seems to recognize pitches pretty well. If he is to become an elite hitter, I think he will need to learn how to pull the ball more consistently than he does now. I would be interested in hearing if ktriber and the kinston crowd noticed that tendency over a longer run than the three times I watched him play this spring.

I think it is possible he will be the best RH hitter in the organization at this time. Yes, he has some work to do but I think the talent is there. It is not uncommon for Tony and I to disagree on the potential of some of our prospects. In this case, I stick with my original ranking. :friends:

Was your comment about Chen's Spanish speaking ability a joke? If he has to communicate with a Latin pitcher (or other teammate), they do that in English. The Latin guys only have to 'learn' English - can't expect a dude from Taiwan to learn both English and Spanish. BTW - I'm not knocking the Spanish language, I'm actually a Spanish teacher : )

And another btw.......does Chen bat RH? I thought he was a lefty......
davidkey
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 pm

Chen hits right-handed.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 pm

davidkey wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:Chen was one of the prospects that I watched closely in ST since Tony and I had some difference in our evaluation. First, let me say, I agree with Tony's assessment of his current skill level. His catching defense, including throwing, is pretty much average. His blocking skills and popup might improve but I would guess his throwing won't get much better than it is now. He will never be Santana with his arm. Given his comparative lack of experience behind the plate, I could see a B-/C+ ML catcher. As an aside, his English skills look pretty good but his Spanish needs help.

Was your comment about Chen's Spanish speaking ability a joke? If he has to communicate with a Latin pitcher (or other teammate), they do that in English. The Latin guys only have to 'learn' English - can't expect a dude from Taiwan to learn both English and Spanish. BTW - I'm not knocking the Spanish language, I'm actually a Spanish teacher : )

And another btw.......does Chen bat RH? I thought he was a lefty......

Total joke! The Latin players were teaching him to cheer in Spanish and having a great time. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby TAIWANSOCOOL » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Chen was a pitcher back in Taiwan. He didn't start to learn how to catch right before he signed with the Indians. I supose his catching skill will get better..
TAIWANSOCOOL
Undrafted Free Agent

Previous

Return to Indians Prospect Talk