RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Bad news on Rob Bryson

Talk shop about the various prospects and teams that make up the Cleveland Indians organization.

Bad news on Rob Bryson

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:22 am

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 ... 002/SPORTS

He pitched 121¼3 innings in seven games and was diagnosed with a torn labrum. He will have surgery Wednesday. ... The surgery will keep Bryson off the mound for six to nine months or possibly more.

Wow. I gotta say the Indians have egg on their face with this one. Knowing the severity of the injury and risk involved, there is absolutely no excuse or reasoning on why the hell he was even pitching at the end of the season or in Arizona. He should have been shutdown.

They completely dropped the ball on this one. And even Bryson was notably concerned when they were initially messing around with bringing him back.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=3596

...when talking to him this past Thursday he was relieved the injury was not as bad as he thought. Although he was sort of surprised he has not just been shutdown for the last few weeks of the season, Bryson says he is excited to get back out on the mound and start competing again.

There is some off the record stuff we also talked about, but in a nutshell when I said "surprised" it was a nicer way of saying he was frustrated, concerned, and at a loss for words why he was being rushed back.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Re: Bad news on Rob Bryson

Postby toledobuck » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:26 am

Not good. The Indians medical staff really fudged this one. Hopefully Bryson can make a full recovery in 2010. This significantly sets is time table back (a la Sipp). I do not believe Bryson came to the Tribe as damaged goods.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:49 pm

It doesn't look good for the Indians medical staff, that said I don't know the extent of the damage to Brysons labrum when he first went down with the injury.

I imagine they make decisions of rehab Vs surgery on some kind of scale..... if the damage falls into range A then the standard practice is rehab, if it falls into range B then they opt for surgery.

Maybe Bryson was in that "Range A", maybe he was somewhere in the middle, which might explain why they brought him back towards the end of the year to see how he responded to the rehab?! If he responded well, bonus! If not then they would opt for the surgery sooner than if they'd waited until next year to bring him back.

Like I said, I doesn't giving a glowing reflection on the medical staff. But, also like I said, I don't know the processes they use.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby npc29 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Wow not good at all..Definitely not encouraging..
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:08 pm

He was the forgotten spec with all the other trades, but still was a top 20 spec to me at least. This hurts a lot and misses like this cost people jobs so hopefully this never happens again
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:44 pm

It will be interesting to see how this injury effects how people look at him and rank him as a prospect.

While I understand his injury is completely different from Tony Sipp's, Sipp's injury had a varying degree of impact on the way he was viewed as a prospect.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Guys, there are labrum injuries and there are serious labrum injuries. I am not a medical know it all and I have never pitched professionally but I have a torn superior labrum in my left shoulder (non pitching arm) that happened in a HS BB game fifty years ago. At the time, I chose not to have surgery. However, as I have gotten older, I do have PT with reasonable frequency. The labrum heals so slowly, easpecially the superior where there is little blood flow, that surgery is the last option. Unless it was a real serious tear, I would guess the Indians made a prudent choice in treatment before deciding on surgery. It would be the choice most professional teams would make, IMO.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby WVPowerblkwel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:08 am

I'm new to your board....did host family duty for Rob here in Charleston...he's a good kid and should be a big league closer someday when he gets healthy....has the proper mindset for a closer, and throws hard (I've seen 96) with control, and a hard slider. Just needs to pitch and gain experience and age (only 20). He has surgery on the 8th, but he should be home by the end of the day. I was there the night he hurt the shoulder...said he had been working on some things with his delivery since he'd left Charleston and he was facing his old team the night it happened....sometimes testosterone is a bad thing!
WVPowerblkwel
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby gotribe31 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 am

Great to hear WV, the insider insight is always appreciated. I like everything I have heard about Bryson (with the exception of the torn labrum, of course). 20 is plenty young enough to recover from this sort of injury depending on how extensive everything is once they get in and do the surgery. Hoping to see him in Kinston next year around the all-star break.
gotribe31
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Yeah, going to be a long year for Rob. If he is lucky, he will get in a handful of games in at the end of August next year in the Arizona League on a rehab assignment. Bottom line though, he is pretty much a non-factor next year. His prospect will take a hit some because of that and also his questionable return from what is a tough injury to come back from.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Return to Indians Prospect Talk