RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Kris Benson

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Kris Benson

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:34 pm

Kris Benson = God please no. Paul Hoynes woke up from is deep sleep in Vegas and is saying it might be Benson.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Re: Kris Benson

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Heard about this a few days ago. Only way the Tribe would sign him is to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. If we did that, it'd be ok. low-risk move that wouldn't cost much of anything really.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Yeah if we can get him on a minor league deal, he is returning from Right elbow and rotator cuff surgeries, did throw 67 innings in the minors in 08, so could be fully ready to go in ST.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:03 pm

Pointless signing. Somehow, someway they'd make him the #5 starter then and not give one of the lefties a chance.

Get a legit MOR guy, or don't bother.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:12 pm

even if he is 100% healthy that guys been terrible. he was so overrated coming out college and never lived up to the hype. then the baggage with his skank wife you have to deal with. i'd rather go out and sign jason johnson for another tour of duty. shapiro can not say with a straight face that benson is a better pitcher then any of his in house options. why not john smoltz or brad penny please not kris benson.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 pm

cardiackidz wrote:even if he is 100% healthy that guys been terrible. he was so overrated coming out college and never lived up to the hype. then the baggage with his skank wife you have to deal with. i'd rather go out and sign jason johnson for another tour of duty. shapiro can not say with a straight face that benson is a better pitcher then any of his in house options. why not john smoltz or brad penny please not kris benson.

Smoltz's arm may not be able to take the toll of starting, relieving may be his better option. If the Indians do sign a starter it is going to be awhile, got to wait on the first-tier to sign contracts then the Indians will scour the Bargain Basement which could include not only the reclamation projects, but also could include second-tier guys that are willing to sign a one year deal to see what next year is like.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Doesn't mean he wouldn't be a nice arm to have at AAA in case of an injury.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 pm

I'd rather have Freddy Garcia on a one year deal... At least he is a GOOD pitcher coming off an injury.

When has Kris Benson ever been worth a damn?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:53 pm

npc29 wrote:I'd rather have Freddy Garcia on a one year deal... At least he is a GOOD pitcher coming off an injury.

When has Kris Benson ever been worth a damn?

I was thinking about Garcia. Is he supposed to be healthy now? When healthy, he was a very reliable starter for many years and could be someone we target. I know Shapiro had interest in him last August.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby cardiackidz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:00 am

i like the idea of freddy garcia or brad penny. hell, i'd rather go sign paul byrd then sign up kris benson. if you cant trade for a top flight arm, i still say go with your farm system. how may times has mark shapiro gotten burned in the last 5 years when he went and got some has been instead of using his farm system? the list is long and painful.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:53 am

As for Garcia being healthy now is a question mark again, there were reports of his shoulder or arm giving him problems again down in one of the winter leagues.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:00 am

Daniel Cabrera was non-tendered yesterday.... if you can't find anything significant for the #3 spot, you could do much worse than Cabrera - he makes his starts and his ERA has hovered around 5. Granted, a 5ERA is nothing to shout about, but Cabrera still has all that potential.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:56 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Daniel Cabrera was non-tendered yesterday.... if you can't find anything significant for the #3 spot, you could do much worse than Cabrera - he makes his starts and his ERA has hovered around 5. Granted, a 5ERA is nothing to shout about, but Cabrera still has all that potential.

Hey daz, I think his potential may be past. He has mechanical issues which are complicated by his size. I think the internal options are better than Cabrera for next year and would expect him to be no match for our organizational pitching depth. If someone wants to spend the time, he might be converted to a decent reliever but the tribe has better options in the organization IMO.

I think carn has got it right about Garcia. Buyer beware!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Daniel Cabrera was non-tendered yesterday.... if you can't find anything significant for the #3 spot, you could do much worse than Cabrera - he makes his starts and his ERA has hovered around 5. Granted, a 5ERA is nothing to shout about, but Cabrera still has all that potential.

Hey daz, I think his potential may be past. He has mechanical issues which are complicated by his size. I think the internal options are better than Cabrera for next year and would expect him to be no match for our organizational pitching depth. If someone wants to spend the time, he might be converted to a decent reliever but the tribe has better options in the organization IMO.

I agree on Cabrera he has had a lot of good coaches and no one has gotten him fixed, if you want a 5 era might a well go with a laffey or sowers and save the headaches and walks
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:33 pm

jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

I agree on Cabrera he has had a lot of good coaches and no one has gotten him fixed, if you want a 5 era might a well go with a laffey or sowers and save the headaches and walks

Well I think if you go with Laffey or Sowers, especially Laffey, you could easily be looking at an ERA that I think would be similar in comparison with Westbrook's ERA. Sowers if he can figure it out is a sub 4 ERA.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:11 pm

I think Garcia tweaked something in Winter League, but I'm not positive on that.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:18 pm

carnegie44115 wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

Well I think if you go with Laffey or Sowers, especially Laffey, you could easily be looking at an ERA that I think would be similar in comparison with Westbrook's ERA. Sowers if he can figure it out is a sub 4 ERA.

I agree just was saying why got for cabrera when you can get the same production out of a laffey or sowers
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:39 am

jellis wrote:
carnegie44115 wrote:
jellis wrote:
indianinkslinger wrote:

I agree just was saying why got for cabrera when you can get the same production out of a laffey or sowers

Well mine idea behind Cabrera would be not as an immediate piece to the rotation puzzle, if it's possible to get it down to AAA and let Radinsky work with him and tried to straighten him out, and lets remember about Cabrera having good coaches in Baltimore, that may be true, but in his career the coaching staff has changed multiple time and he has always been trying to work things out in the majors, a place where he might not be able to work it out, but he could be out of options so that could be why Baltimore kept him there.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37 am

cardiackidz wrote:i like the idea of freddy garcia or brad penny. hell, i'd rather go sign paul byrd then sign up kris benson. if you cant trade for a top flight arm, i still say go with your farm system. how may times has mark shapiro gotten burned in the last 5 years when he went and got some has been instead of using his farm system? the list is long and painful.

Really? Kevin Milwood worked out really, really well.

Jason Johnson was a bad signing....but other than him, Shapiro has done pretty well with starters. Byrd was solid for us (not spectacular, but solid).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors