RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

forget blake

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

forget blake

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Blake has opened negotiations requesting more than $20 million over three seasons, however, or more than the Twins want to spend. And while Blake is a Twins kind of player, he is 35 and the Twins do not consider him a middle-of-the-order hitter.

So yeah I think Blake has priced him self out of the Indians range right there
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: forget blake

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I am not at all surprised at what Blake is seeking. Compared to what is out there, Blake is one of the best 3B on the market and that fact right there (being on of the top) should have him out of the Tribe's price range.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:37 am

I've read the Indians and Twins have recently "cooled" on Blake. No way would I offer anything over 2 years. We need to add somebody to the IF that will have a major impact, not just hold down the job.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 am

I actually think 3/$20 is a bit low for Blake. Made $6+M this year, so he's really not asking for much of a pay raise, especially considering the year he had. Yeah, he's older but doesn't carry the injury risk that at guy like Crede or Furcal would have.

Now, if I'm the Indians I don't give it to him, but I think some team will.....possibly even the Rays (to play RF).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 am

His 'raise' is the multiple yrs of guarenteed money instead of going year to year looking for a deal.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:His 'raise' is the multiple yrs of guarenteed money instead of going year to year looking for a deal.

exactly, by year 3 I think a team would more than likely regret the deal
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Well the last 3 years he's been guranteed multi-millions since we kept giving arbitration.

I do agree thought, that a 3 year deal is a bit much for him. 2 years sounds perfect for him.....2 and an option would be another good move by a club.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:47 pm

yeah but arb is year to year so you have the escape clause a 3 year deal at his age is very iffy
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 pm

I agree, just don't think he's asking for all that much considering what he made this year and his versatility. I wouldn't do it if I were the Tribe though.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Jennifer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:22 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:I've read the Indians and Twins have recently "cooled" on Blake. No way would I offer anything over 2 years. We need to add somebody to the IF that will have a major impact, not just hold down the job.
Everything I've read recently is that the Dodgers, Twins and Tribe all still want him and that it is the third year that he wants that has held up his signing with anyone.
Jennifer
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:29 pm

everyone today is now saying the Indians are out of the blake race
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jennifer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:06 pm

jellis wrote:everyone today is now saying the Indians are out of the blake race
Not everyone including Blake'a agent and Chris Antonetti who is the Tribe's negotiator in this instance according to today's PD:
Jim McDowell, agent for Casey Blake, says the Indians have not been as persistent in their pursuit of the free agent third baseman as have the Twins and Dodgers.
The Indians, however, say Blake is still an option to fill their vacancy at third base.

"We've made progress with both the Dodgers and Twins," McDowell told FOXSports.com. "They've been more persistent and more involved.

"I've had pretty regular conversations with the Indians, but I wouldn't say they've been as persistent as the Twins and Dodgers."

Chris Antonetti, the Indians' vice president of baseball operations, has been negotiating with McDowell. Antonetti wouldn't comment, but it's believed the stumbling block has been McDowell's request for a three-year deal. The Indians would prefer a shorter contract.

McDowell indicated that the Twins and Dodgers could be leaning toward three-year offers for Blake.

"We continue to be in touch with Jim," said Antonetti. "We've discussed a number of different things."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... ead_p.html
Jennifer
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:58 pm

yahoo's Tim Brown is reporting the dodgers have offered blake a third year so he should be staying out west
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 pm

saw that......they were also reporting that the Dodgers were after Cano and Cabrera from the Yanks for Kemp and a pitching.......then they say it's not on like an hour later.....so annoying, lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Hermie13 wrote:saw that......they were also reporting that the Dodgers were after Cano and Cabrera from the Yanks for Kemp and a pitching.......then they say it's not on like an hour later.....so annoying, lol

cano wont be traded his value is way too low right now trade rumors as always are 98% crap
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jennifer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 pm

jellis wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:saw that......they were also reporting that the Dodgers were after Cano and Cabrera from the Yanks for Kemp and a pitching.......then they say it's not on like an hour later.....so annoying, lol

cano wont be traded his value is way too low right now trade rumors as always are 98% crap
Cano's "value" in the trade marke, among other things, is a function of his value to the Yankees including their expectations of how he will perform in the future. His value to other teams includes the expectation of how he will perform in the future. How he performed in 2008 is only one factor that goes into everyone's expectations. If the Yankees believe 2008 is representative of his future performance than his value is low to them and in a trade would want only equal or some additional value. A team that thought 2008 was non-representative would obviously offer the Yankees more than the value to them in keeping him
Jennifer
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:36 am

jellis wrote:cano wont be traded his value is way too low right now trade rumors as always are 98% crap

Ha, yeah true.

Also, read that the Dodgers offer only had 2 years guranteed for Blake......wonder if that's true or not.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

he got 3 years 17.1 mil from the dodgers and I still think the issue with a trade for cano is Gm will try andbuy low since he had a bad year and has only really be a player with a history of good second halfs, best to keep him and see if he can turn it around
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Jennifer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 pm

jellis wrote:he got 3 years 17.1 mil from the dodgers and I still think the issue with a trade for cano is Gm will try andbuy low since he had a bad year and has only really be a player with a history of good second halfs, best to keep him and see if he can turn it around
GMs always try to buy low and sell high. The goal is always, whenever possible, to get more value than you give-up.
Jennifer
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Jennifer wrote:
jellis wrote:he got 3 years 17.1 mil from the dodgers and I still think the issue with a trade for cano is Gm will try andbuy low since he had a bad year and has only really be a player with a history of good second halfs, best to keep him and see if he can turn it around
GMs always try to buy low and sell high. The goal is always, whenever possible, to get more value than you give-up.

valid, but thats what I am saying Cano value hasnt been lower in years would be shocked to see him traded
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors