RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Feel Sorry for Lebron

It's not always about baseball and sports! Talk movies, TV, video games, music, politics, news and more here.

Feel Sorry for Lebron

Postby petes999 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:34 pm

I know this sounds strange, yet my anger has turned to feeling sorry more for the kids who were there looking on to Lebron decision. I wasn't going to watch the show knowing the announcement. Yet, fireworks went off just about the time he was announcing so curiosity got the best of me (thinking someone was celebrating something) - just as he was saying it was about winning. I turned it off shortly after he said Miami.

Yet, then it hit me, that this was a decision about being a great basketball player versus being a great man. He could have gone anywhere (even if it wasn't Cleveland) and still been a great man if he did it for the right reasons (doing what he felt his heart was right). Yet, when I hear it is about winning and ESPN saying he will be judge by the number of rings he has -- it hit me that he sees himself as a basketball player more than a man. A man doesn't care what others think. A basketball player just wants to win. But, at the end of his career, what will he have? A few rings and a few friends ....

A man would be about telling the boys and girls watching him that they can make it no matter what circumstances are in there way because everyone is special. A basketball player sits on a pedestal and says that one of these children watching can become the next Lebron (but what about the rest)?

A man is about what he gives in the community. A basketball player is about giving what he has (money). A man is about making a message about loyalty. A basketball player is about winning.

The last time I saw someone make it all about winning was Tiger on 60 minutes. At the time, I thought it was strange someone was so competitive. We like competitiveness to make ourselves better. But, that is when a man takes a step back and say is this all that I am and give to those around me. A man steps back and knows it is more than just a game of putting a ball through something. A player is all about winning.

The part that is sorry for Lebron is what he has left after basketball? He had a chance to become more a legend like Magic that is known for more than a basketball player but a leader in his community. Now when he wants to come back to Akron, he shouldn't be surprised at the welcome from a fan base/community he told them it is all about winning and his departure made for several long non-winning seasons. What does Magic have after his career ... what will Tiger have after his career? What will Lebron have?
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Re: Feel Sorry for Lebron

Postby osueddy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:13 am

Great post.

Those guys who stayed in one city and made it happen are obviously revered. What about the guys who stayed and didn't win? They are still loved in that town.

LeBron could have done anything he wanted in Cleveland, including not winning a championship, and he would have been the man in the city. He would have been bigger than Jim Brown. But now, he's worse off than Thome.
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Re: Feel Sorry for Lebron

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:33 am

osueddy wrote:Great post.

Those guys who stayed in one city and made it happen are obviously revered. What about the guys who stayed and didn't win? They are still loved in that town.

LeBron could have done anything he wanted in Cleveland, including not winning a championship, and he would have been the man in the city. He would have been bigger than Jim Brown. But now, he's worse off than Thome.

Thome? Try worse off than Art Modell.

Only people I feel sorry for here are Lebron's kids and maybe his mom because of the heat they'll get for this.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Entertainment Zone