RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

The Walking Dead Series Premier "Days Gone Bye"

It's not always about baseball and sports! Talk movies, TV, video games, music, politics, news and more here.

The Walking Dead Series Premier "Days Gone Bye"

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:09 pm

HOLY S#!*

All I'm going to say.

:clapping: :good: :yahoo:
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: The Walking Dead Series Premier "Days Gone Bye"

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:52 pm

DVRed the Season 1 marathon from Sunday and watched all 6 episodes plus the Season 2 premiere over the last few days. Really like this show. I've always been one to be into the horror genre...and this is well done for cable TV. Seems to be getting a ton of interest as it is one of the top rated cable shows.

I will definitely be tuning in the rest of the way...

Speaking of horror shows....I have also watched the first two episodes of American Horror Story and think that is freaky as hell too. Will continue to watch that one too!
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 pm

TonyIPI wrote:DVRed the Season 1 marathon from Sunday and watched all 6 episodes plus the Season 2 premiere over the last few days. Really like this show. I've always been one to be into the horror genre...and this is well done for cable TV. Seems to be getting a ton of interest as it is one of the top rated cable shows.

I will definitely be tuning in the rest of the way...

Speaking of horror shows....I have also watched the first two episodes of American Horror Story and think that is freaky as hell too. Will continue to watch that one too!

I wanna check out American Horror Story. I've heard some mixed opinions but more often than not people I know that have watched hit have enjoyed it.

Being a bit of a nerd, I have all of the trade paper backs (and will continue collecting as they come out) of The Walking Dead comics. If anyone is interested in reading them, they are very easy reads since they are comic books, yet still the storyline and writing are top notch. The way they have blended the comics storylines and the original storylines and certain original characters is simply fantastic. Hell, Robert Kirkman has joked in the past that he might consider introducing Daryll Dixon into the comic. The CDC side story was a pretty cool diversion from the books.

Not many TV shows these days that I go out of my way to check out when it's on, with DVR and On Demand services it's easy to just watch whenever. The Walking Dead is the show I make a point to see.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:Being a bit of a nerd, I have all of the trade paper backs (and will continue collecting as they come out) of The Walking Dead comics. If anyone is interested in reading them, they are very easy reads since they are comic books, yet still the storyline and writing are top notch. The way they have blended the comics storylines and the original storylines and certain original characters is simply fantastic. Hell, Robert Kirkman has joked in the past that he might consider introducing Daryll Dixon into the comic. The CDC side story was a pretty cool diversion from the books.

Not many TV shows these days that I go out of my way to check out when it's on, with DVR and On Demand services it's easy to just watch whenever. The Walking Dead is the show I make a point to see.

Not to spoil for anyone, but I am curious what "differences" exist so far between the comics and the TV show? It is always interesting to see what changes or is the same in any adaption from a written piece to a movie.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:45 am

TonyIPI wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:Being a bit of a nerd, I have all of the trade paper backs (and will continue collecting as they come out) of The Walking Dead comics. If anyone is interested in reading them, they are very easy reads since they are comic books, yet still the storyline and writing are top notch. The way they have blended the comics storylines and the original storylines and certain original characters is simply fantastic. Hell, Robert Kirkman has joked in the past that he might consider introducing Daryll Dixon into the comic. The CDC side story was a pretty cool diversion from the books.

Not to spoil for anyone, but I am curious what "differences" exist so far between the comics and the TV show? It is always interesting to see what changes or is the same in any adaption from a written piece to a movie.

SPOILERS BELOW - Do not scroll down if you do not want spoiled.

So far the series has followed the books fairly close, adding it's own, welcome spins. The episodes involving escaping the department store (although in the books Rick and Glenn try to get to a gun shop by chopping up the walker and lathering up with it's insides), the Vatos taking care of the nursing home and the CDC were only for TV, and I especially liked the episode with the Vatos gang members.

The opening to season 2 is somewhat original too, the RV constantly needing mantained isn't as much of an issue in the books. The concept of the walker/zombie "herd" comes much, much later in the books. Andrea was never really on a suicide watch by Dale in the book, but it's a good twist for TV. Carl DOES get shot by a hunter in the books as well.

Certain characters on the show aren't in the books and some characters were left out of the show (not talking about characters that haven't been introduced yet, but some minor characters left out in favor of a few original).

Both Meryll and Daryll Dixon are original to the AMC series and not in the books. Same with the poorly named "T-Dawg" and the lady who stayed behind at the CDC, her name escapes me.

Probably the BIGGEST difference between the comic and the tv series, is that Shane is still alive as he is killed at the end of issue 6 (the series is at 89 or 90 now). In the books, Shane and Lori have an affair as they both believe Rick was dead. After Rick reached Atlanta and was cornered by walkers, Glenn saved Rick and led him back to camp where obviously Lori and Carl get reunited with Rick. Very quickly Shane becomes very threatened by Rick, and after being warned by other camp members of Shanes intentions, Rick was somewhat caught off gaurd by Shanes quick turn.

A little while after an attack on their camp, Rick and Shane begin arguing and Shane believes Rick is blaming him for everything going wrong. Shane storms off after hitting Rick and Rick follows him into the woods to reason with him. Shane pulls out his shotgun and points it at Rick and tells him how Rick's arrival at camp ruined everything for him. Before Shane can pull the trigger, Carl, who had followed both them into the woods shoots Shane in the neck and kills him.

In the show this would have been after Amy was killed and the camp was attacked, just before leaving for the CDC.

One theme the show has kept up with similar to the books is that, while zombies/walkers are everywhere and are a threat, the real threat is surviving people, pretty much anyone. In the books some really sick shit happens to Rick and his family and the group does some pretty terrible things themselves as time goes on. Most of Ricks intentions are solely based on protecting his family, and while Rick is the "hero" some things he does can be considered monsterous themselves.

There is more, but just little stuff really. Hope that helps a bit Tony. Hell, I think I'm gonna go back and read through the books again. :drinks:
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for that insight. I may have to check out the books/comics myself. That part of Shane pointing the shotgun at Rick in the book....I think it actually happened as they were both in the woods and they showed Shane sighting Rick up with his gun until Dale saw and gave Shane a dirty look. An interesting twist there from the comic it seems.

ANother good episode tonight. Can't wait for next week. With 24 and Lost gone, I have been waiting for a new show to catch my interest and this one is it.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:18 am

TonyIPI wrote:Thanks for that insight. I may have to check out the books/comics myself. That part of Shane pointing the shotgun at Rick in the book....I think it actually happened as they were both in the woods and they showed Shane sighting Rick up with his gun until Dale saw and gave Shane a dirty look. An interesting twist there from the comic it seems.

ANother good episode tonight. Can't wait for next week. With 24 and Lost gone, I have been waiting for a new show to catch my interest and this one is it.

I've been a fan of the series since around 2006 or so, and I do not read comic books, not since I was a child and my days of wanting to be Spider Man. If you do happen to check out the books, the easiest (and legal) way to get caught up are the trade paper back or other collections. The TPB's collect 6 issues of the comics into 1 book, and the next volumn which is #15 comes out in January, so there is plenty to keep you're attention.

There is also 1 novel that has been released, just this month I believe, The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor. This book is a bit of a prequal/side story, and tells the story/come to power of the biggest villan survivor in the entire series, "The Governor".

Robert Kirkman has hinted in interviews that the deteriorating relationship between Shane/Rick is something that'll be addressed over time. Which IMO will make for some great TV drama. Having the 2 leaders of the group on the show go through hell for one another/with each other, then having one of them "fall into the dark side" so to speak.

While the zombies/walkers are fun and entertaining, like any other show, this story is driven by it's characters and the situations and decisions they have to make in effort to survive. Like I mentioned previously, the real threats are other people, the walkers are always there, but eventually they become another part of life that they just have to deal with.

Just like on Lost, the Island was the backdrop to the characters. Jack and others drove the story along, the island was just another obsticle. How hated was Ben when he was holding Jack captive or when "Locke" was the smoke monster or whatever he was called in the end? People will be drawn to these chacters in the Walkind Dead similar to a series like Lost.

One advantage a show like The Walking Dead has over other shows, is that they have plenty of source material to pull from, and it's material that can be stretched out over a long period on TV. They can then use that same material and add it's own spin. Like with Shane now. Everything you're seeing with him is all original since in the books, he never left the camp. He never met Hershel or Maggie or Otis, and nobody traveled to a high school for medical supplies from an emergency center, which by the way, was a bad ass way to end last nights show. I mean seriously, how screwed did Otis seem, being that fat and running from THAT many undead, to be trapped behind a small gate with Shane? HA!
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:Thanks for that insight. I may have to check out the books/comics myself. That part of Shane pointing the shotgun at Rick in the book....I think it actually happened as they were both in the woods and they showed Shane sighting Rick up with his gun until Dale saw and gave Shane a dirty look. An interesting twist there from the comic it seems.

I've been a fan of the series since around 2006 or so, and I do not read comic books, not since I was a child and my days of wanting to be Spider Man. If you do happen to check out the books, the easiest (and legal) way to get caught up are the trade paper back or other collections. The TPB's collect 6 issues of the comics into 1 book, and the next volumn which is #15 comes out in January, so there is plenty to keep you're attention.

There is also 1 novel that has been released, just this month I believe, The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor. This book is a bit of a prequal/side story, and tells the story/come to power of the biggest villan survivor in the entire series, "The Governor".

Robert Kirkman has hinted in interviews that the deteriorating relationship between Shane/Rick is something that'll be addressed over time. Which IMO will make for some great TV drama. Having the 2 leaders of the group on the show go through hell for one another/with each other, then having one of them "fall into the dark side" so to speak.

While the zombies/walkers are fun and entertaining, like any other show, this story is driven by it's characters and the situations and decisions they have to make in effort to survive. Like I mentioned previously, the real threats are other people, the walkers are always there, but eventually they become another part of life that they just have to deal with.

Just like on Lost, the Island was the backdrop to the characters. Jack and others drove the story along, the island was just another obsticle. How hated was Ben when he was holding Jack captive or when "Locke" was the smoke monster or whatever he was called in the end? People will be drawn to these chacters in the Walkind Dead similar to a series like Lost.

One advantage a show like The Walking Dead has over other shows, is that they have plenty of source material to pull from, and it's material that can be stretched out over a long period on TV. They can then use that same material and add it's own spin. Like with Shane now. Everything you're seeing with him is all original since in the books, he never left the camp. He never met Hershel or Maggie or Otis, and nobody traveled to a high school for medical supplies from an emergency center, which by the way, was a bad ass way to end last nights show. I mean seriously, how screwed did Otis seem, being that fat and running from THAT many undead, to be trapped behind a small gate with Shane? HA!

I am not a comics guy, but I do read certain series still or authors. I think Kirkman is about as good as it gets, walking dead is my second favorite series he has. The first is Invincible which is a brilliant superman type take on the superhero world. The comic is great have them all to a point, but the issue to me at least was there is a huge event in about collection 7 or 8 and it just felt like afterwards the series has lost steam. After the one that was a knock off of the Road, I quit reading.
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

jellis wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

I am not a comics guy, but I do read certain series still or authors. I think Kirkman is about as good as it gets, walking dead is my second favorite series he has. The first is Invincible which is a brilliant superman type take on the superhero world. The comic is great have them all to a point, but the issue to me at least was there is a huge event in about collection 7 or 8 and it just felt like afterwards the series has lost steam. After the one that was a knock off of the Road, I quit reading.

Just for clarification, are you refering to Walking Dead or Invincble? I've never read Invincible myself, always see ads for it in the back of the Walking Dead paper backs though.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
jellis wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Just for clarification, are you refering to Walking Dead or Invincble? I've never read Invincible myself, always see ads for it in the back of the Walking Dead paper backs though.

Read all the invincible, stopped on walking dead I think after collection 12 or 13
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 pm

jellis wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
jellis wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:

Read all the invincible, stopped on walking dead I think after collection 12 or 13

Possible MAJOR spoilers for non readers or viewers of the show, do not read below if you don't want to be spoiled!!!!

I see. Walking Dead kinda slowed it's pace down after leaving the prison after the attack from Woodbury & the Governor. After a few issues Rick and Carl begin traveling and find Michone, Dale, Andrea, Maggie, & Glen. When the group encounters Abraham and his group is when the series picked up again (although I don't think it really suffered at all) when they head for DC.

One thing about Kirkman with the Walking Dead, is he has a bit of the "24 syndrom" in his blood. Nobody is safe from something brutal and disgusting happening to them. The attack on the prison showed that, and more recently with the attack on the town and with what happens to Carl.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Wow, what a show. As you said GoTribe, we are starting to see some of the barbaric things people do to each other....Shane is falling into a path of darkness. Will be interesting to see where it ultimately leads.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:07 am

TonyIPI wrote:Wow, what a show. As you said GoTribe, we are starting to see some of the barbaric things people do to each other....Shane is falling into a path of darkness. Will be interesting to see where it ultimately leads.

Yeah, one of the biggest themes has always been what the world does to the characters, and what it brings out of people in their darkest hour. It's kill or be killed at this point.

Shane just might become one of the most hated characters on TV very quickly.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Entertainment Zone