RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

FINALLY!!!

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

FINALLY!!!

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Good grief that took way too long. FINALLY Wedge pinch hits for Crowe when the game is on the line! Only took the third time.

Pinch hits with Hafner (who singles)...AC gets on base, then 3-run HR by Sizemore to break a 2-2 tie.

:s_dance

Bout fell out of my chair at work when I saw Hafner's name come up on my computer as a pinch hitter :s_sarcastic
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: FINALLY!!!

Postby npc29 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed he hadn't done that the other day.

I remember when he was so happy to pinch hit for Marte, Gutierrez, and Barfield in the past. The fact that he didn't do it with Crowe the other day made me wonder.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 am

Question, who would you pinch hit for Crowe with in the 9th on Wednesday? The options were worse or just as bad.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:29 am

Consigliere wrote:Question, who would you pinch hit for Crowe with in the 9th on Wednesday? The options were worse or just as bad.

Garko. The guy that has hit well over .300 for about a year now with runner's in scoring position and led the team in RBIs last year. Argueably our best 2-out hitter as well.

Yeah it was righty on righty then, but Garko is still the better hitter and should have been up there.

Crowe should not even be in the MLs right now. Half a season at AAA and it's showing....he's vastly overmatched right now.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 am

Garko Vs Soria

1-for-9 with 5Ks
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Garko Vs Soria

1-for-9 with 5Ks

And Crowe is hitting under .200 vs everyone.......Garko still should have been in there.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:05 am

Point is, there was no better option. Garko sucks vs Soria, and Crowe has had limited chances. You can't find out about a player unless you give him a chance.

Buff explains it best:

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... blgId=4551

7) General Managerial Head-Scratchers

Some people questioned the decision to let Trevor Crowe bat with two outs and two men on base against uber-closer Joakim Soria last night.

Let me get this out of the way: Crowe was called out on Ball Three. That pitch was a ball earlier in the SAME AT-BAT. That was not a strike. It started on the inside corner and curved toward Crowe from there. There is no way I'm getting on Crowe for that one. The one before, yes: how can you watch THREE CONSECUTIVE STRIKES from JAMEY FRIGGIN' WRIGHT? That's just terrible. But that K against Soria ... he got ripped off. Tough break.

But here is the Cleveland bench at this point in the game:

Ryan Garko, a right-handed hitter who was 1-for-9 with 5 Ks against Soria in his career.
Tony Graffanino, a right-handed hitter who is No Good
Ben Francisco, a right-handed hitter who was 0-for-4 against Soria in his career and is a Guy

That's it. That's the whole bench. The bonus of going to a 13-man staff is that your bench is three guys, one of whom can see Fungus Land from where he's sitting. If you want to bring in a lefty to face the right-handed Soria with wicked breaking stuff, you call on ... who? Trevor Crowe, that's who. That's it. That's what you've got.

Would I have called in Garko or Francisco? You know what, I probably wouldn't. And even if I would, it would be second-guessing on my part, and if it wasn't second-guessing on your part, then it sure wasn't a no-brainer "he'd obviously do better" sort of call. It would only be a call you make because you think Trevor Crowe is borderline-fungal himself.

So let's recap: you're worried about Crowe hitting: who put him on the roster? You want a pinch-hitter, but the team has a three-man bench, NONE of whom can hit left-handed. Who set the roster up that way? You have to have a 13-man staff with an 8-man pen because you don't know exactly which pitchers can accomplish what on the mound. Are you serious?

I don't like this roster makeup. I know injuries and performance meltdowns have caused some of this, but I really don't like the top-to-bottom nature of this roster.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:23 am

Well first off, that pitch was a strike. Looked inside only because the camera angle from the camera not being directly behind the pitcher. Same reason you see pitches that look like strikes on the outside (to lefites) get called balls. Announcers don't believe it til they go to the replay and see on the pitch tracker that the pitch was indeed about 3 inches outside.

I agree it was an unhittable pitch...but it was a strike. And as the guy pointed out, Crowe striking out against Wright showed he shouldn't be in there. He's just too overmatched right now and is clearly pressing. Garko has been off to a good start and has even been hitting righties well....meanwile Crowe has struggled. If Garko was up there is no way you lift him even with his struggles against Soria. Why? Cause he stood a much better chance of getting a hit than Crowe did.

Has Garko struggled against Soria? O yes...but he's a proven ML hitter. Garko should have pinch-hit, plain and simple. He's the better hitter...good managers put their best hitters up in those situations regardless.

Part of my issue here too is Garko should NOT be on the bench. The guy is a proven run-producer and needs to be in the lineup everyday. Stop fooling around with Crowe out there and give Garko more at-bats.

I too am a bit perplexed we are STILL going with an 8 man pen. I was ok with it (though not thrilled) when we were on a stretch of no off days and the starters were getting knocked around early...heading into NY it looked liked we'd need all of them....

But we didn't and the starters have been going much deeper into games. It's gonna get hard to get everyone work. Betancourt hasn't pitched in 5 days now. Same with Perez (though I realize they want to limit his workload right now). In the last 10 days Kobayashi has worked twice....yes he's sharper with rest, but even he doesn't need 'that' much. Chulk hasn't worked in 6 days either......

I never really thought I'd say this....but I really wish Dellucci was on the bench now......
Last edited by Hermie13 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:27 am

We may have a 8 man bullpen in terms of the number of bodies out there, but we only have a 7 man pen in terms of who can actually be used.

By all accounts, they have been doing a lot of work with Perez which, as a reliever, the more work they do with him makes it less possible for him to be used in game situations.

Until they are able to get Perez back on track, they're going to continue with the set-up as is...... it wouldn't surprise me if that time coincided with Dellucci coming back from AAA (and Chulk getting the boot).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:We may have a 8 man bullpen in terms of the number of bodies out there, but we only have a 7 man pen in terms of who can actually be used.

By all accounts, they have been doing a lot of work with Perez which, as a reliever, the more work they do with him makes it less possible for him to be used in game situations.

Until they are able to get Perez back on track, they're going to continue with the set-up as is...... it wouldn't surprise me if that time coincided with Dellucci coming back from AAA (and Chulk getting the boot).

So?

Wedge has enough trouble getting work in for a 7 man pen. There is still no need for an 8-man pen even with Perez. He's still gonna get some work in as well. may be used as a 'long reliever' of sorts (not really multiple innings, but as a guy to come in when the starter gets shelled).

I really hope some move is made before Looch is 'ready' as reports are saying he will in fact stay down the full 20 days (good call by tony and others there)....but I doubt it actually is.... :s_empathy
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:54 pm

I think the big problem I had with not pinch hitting there is the fact that in the past, Wedge was trigger happy on pinch hitting. I was kind of shocked that he didn't take the younger option out, regardless of matchup.

I'm all for letting a guy like Crowe have a shot at something like that. But it makes me skeptical about Wedge and his past usage of guys like Marte and Barfield. If he wouldn't trust them, why would he trust Crowe?
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:54 pm

npc29 wrote:I think the big problem I had with not pinch hitting there is the fact that in the past, Wedge was trigger happy on pinch hitting. I was kind of shocked that he didn't take the younger option out, regardless of matchup.

I'm all for letting a guy like Crowe have a shot at something like that. But it makes me skeptical about Wedge and his past usage of guys like Marte and Barfield. If he wouldn't trust them, why would he trust Crowe?

not sure if it was trust or if he looked at his bench and saw he had the no choice
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors