RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Francisco?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Francisco?

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 pm

As most know I'm sure, the Yankees RFer Xavier Nady is likely out for the year with an elbow injury. Reports are 'speculating' on Yankee OF options to replace him. The names that have come up so far are Austin Kearns of the Nats, Aaron Rowand of the Giants, and Jason Repko of the Dodgers.

There are also some reports that Nady may avoid TJ surgery, possibly allowing him to come back in July....so maybe the Yanks won't make a move....but their bench is getting thinner.

The Yanks are said to want a right-handed OFer with some power. Not really sure Repko fits that bill. Has some pop but never really showed it at the ML level. Rowand has some...but very pricy. Not sure even the Yanks take that on. Kearns is pricy too....but could be a good fit.

But could Ben Francisco be of interest to the Yanks? I half kiddingly said to a buddy during yesterday's game that a deal was going down right after the game since Francisco was absent for all of it (I know it was just a routine day off...and Garko is the better hitter anyways).

Ben has 20 HR power and is probably best suited for a bench role anyways. Tribe may bench Francisco in a month or two anyways if LaPorta continues to hit like he has (3HRs and a 1.083 OPS in 10 games). Ben is cheaper and arguably better then Kearns (who has really struggled the last 2 years). Don't think the Tribe would ask for too much in return from any team....but with Crowe looking like he may stick around for good at the ML level.....there soon may be no room left for Francisco......

One issue that could come up here is the Tribe would likely want some kind of pitching (obviously, lol)....but not sure the Yanks can afford to give that up....

The Yanks do have Austin Jackson....but from what I've read, many think he needs more time in AAA (even though he too is off to a great start).....

Doubt a deal actually happens....but I see it making some sense for both parties....

Thoughts?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Francisco?

Postby jellis » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:09 pm

I dont see it, all nadys injury means is that swisher is now there RF, he was never a option in CF and with dammon set in left and Tex at 1B. i really dont see a need
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 pm

jellis wrote:I dont see it, all nadys injury means is that swisher is now there RF, he was never a option in CF and with dammon set in left and Tex at 1B. i really dont see a need

One injury to Matsui (which is very possible) and they will need someone else because in all likelihood, it's Damon that goes to DH.

I don't think it happens either, but it certainly is interesting if it becomes LaPorta time.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 am

jellis wrote:I dont see it, all nadys injury means is that swisher is now there RF, he was never a option in CF and with dammon set in left and Tex at 1B. i really dont see a need

The Yanks don't 'need' another OFer....but they are getting very thin there. Matsui is basically barred from the OF til the All-Star game. So they've got 4 guys...which is plenty really.....for 'normal' teams, lol.

The Yanks bench just got VERY weak......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Hermie13 wrote:

The Yanks don't 'need' another OFer....but they are getting very thin there. Matsui is basically barred from the OF til the All-Star game. So they've got 4 guys...which is plenty really.....for 'normal' teams, lol.

The Yanks bench just got VERY weak......

jackson will debut by july, so I just dont see the need. They have 3 starters and Francisco would be a 4th OF and when was the last time anyone tried anything for a 4 OF
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:00 am

jellis wrote:jackson will debut by july, so I just dont see the need. They have 3 starters and Francisco would be a 4th OF and when was the last time anyone tried anything for a 4 OF

Well....the Yanks did trade for Swisher and gave up 3 prospects......was gonna be their 4th OFer til Nady got hurt and he got off to a good start. Technically he could have started at 1B....but from reports, sounded like Cashman had sights on Tex all along.

Now 'normal' teams wouldn't trade much for a 4th OFer.....but not sure I'd consider the Yanks the norm, lol.

ha, kind of funny.....Dellucci was traded to the phillies to be a 4th/platoon OFer at the onset of the the 2006 season (from Rangers) for Robinson Tejeda who was coming off a solid year and Jake Blalock who was a top 10 prospect in the Phillies system......yeah Tejeda is now in the pen and Blalock has scuffled in AA, but at the time was a nice haul for a 4th OFer....

Moot point really as now they're saying Nady doesn't need TJ surgery and should return this year.

Jackson could debut in July......but that would mean the Yanks have lost faith in Gardner and/or Cabrera. Yanks won't bring up Jackson to sit on the bench....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
jellis wrote:jackson will debut by july, so I just dont see the need. They have 3 starters and Francisco would be a 4th OF and when was the last time anyone tried anything for a 4 OF

Well....the Yanks did trade for Swisher and gave up 3 prospects......was gonna be their 4th OFer til Nady got hurt and he got off to a good start. Technically he could have started at 1B....but from reports, sounded like Cashman had sights on Tex all along.

Now 'normal' teams wouldn't trade much for a 4th OFer.....but not sure I'd consider the Yanks the norm, lol.

ha, kind of funny.....Dellucci was traded to the phillies to be a 4th/platoon OFer at the onset of the the 2006 season (from Rangers) for Robinson Tejeda who was coming off a solid year and Jake Blalock who was a top 10 prospect in the Phillies system......yeah Tejeda is now in the pen and Blalock has scuffled in AA, but at the time was a nice haul for a 4th OFer....

Moot point really as now they're saying Nady doesn't need TJ surgery and should return this year.

Jackson could debut in July......but that would mean the Yanks have lost faith in Gardner and/or Cabrera. Yanks won't bring up Jackson to sit on the bench....

there 4th is pretty set Melky caberara who is a much better defender and is hitting just as well, has better pop not as good of a hitter but more power. yankees dont need a 4th
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors