Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Not to be insensitive...but....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Not to be insensitive...but....

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Not to start anything or come off as insensitive....but is anyone else tired of players wearing 42 every year? I'm not trying to be an ass and belittled what Jackie Robinson did back in 1947....but do we have to have EVERY player on every team wear #42?

I thought it was a nice gesture on the 50th anniversary. Maybe even do it every 10 years or something....or have just the Dodgers do it.

I also feel like they are almost belitting all the other black players from that era, such as Larry Doby who went through just as much and get no love.

I don't know....just something that kind of bugs me. Wish every AL team would wear 14 in honor of Doby sometime but alas, will never happen.... :s_empathy
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Not to be insensitive...but....

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Perhaps a better idea would be for the NL to honor Jackie on his anniversary and the AL to wear #14 to honor Larry on his anniversary date.

Just a thought....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

I'd be ok with that Madthinker....sadly though Selig seems to not even care about Doby or any of the other 'first' black players. Almost nothign was made of Doby's 50th annivery in 1997 or his 60th in 2007. Felt like it was a slap in the face as the Indians weren't even home on July 5th (the anniversary of him breaking the American League color barrier). Had to wait til August 15th to honor him.

I mean, I thought it was great when they wore 42 back in 1997 on the 50th anniversary. It was a huge event in both baseball and American history.....but wearing the number every year is getting a bit old I think. No problem honoring Jackie every year on the 15th....but the number thing....not a fan.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 am

Mudcat Grant brought up that suggestion about the AL wearing 14 and says he's going to bring it up to Selig. I think it would be nice to see it happen, but like you said Hermie, it seems like he doesn't care about Doby.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby artgold » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 pm

I'll be even more insensitive, and state that the Robinson stuff is overkill. No doubt he went through a lot, and I'm from the era when "separate but equal" was still a discussed alternative.

But they have sufficiently honored him and what he did, at some point you don't have to keep doing this to such a great extent.
artgold
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:48 am

Isn't there a saying:
'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.'

As such I will respectfully disagree with Art and submit that something needs to be done in rememberance each year.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:57 pm

To be honest, I don't mind the idea of every year celebrating it, but only have the players who wish to celebrate his legacy wear his jersey like they have in previous years.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors