RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Manny wants to come back to the Tribe

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Manny wants to come back to the Tribe

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 am

Well, Manny is being Manny again. This time he is dreaming about ending his career in Cleveland. He even is recruiting Jim Thome to come back. I say Thome can stay where he is. But Manny? First, let's leave money out of it, and talk about the player. I think there would be a place in the lineup for him. (DH?) I know he's not the type of player that Wedge likes. But Wedge may not be here next season either.

As for money, I guess he understands that he wouldn't get the top dollar here. He just wants to come back. :s_drinks
Here's the link.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4063800
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Manny wants to come back to the Tribe

Postby petes999 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:50 am

Remember that he is about the show .... I wouldn't take what he said with more than a grain of salt.

If he really wanted to come back, he would have done it this year. With Hafner and other question marks, this would be the best year.

Next year, whose slot does he take? LaPorta's? Sizemore's? Hafner's? Choo's? Martinez (pushing Laporta or Hafner to 1st)? Our youth of Laporta, Brantley, Mills, Weglarz, ... are about to take over. I would have liked Manny for $5-$10 million this year ... yet there is a point where we need to go with our youth movement ... and if we didn't sign CC for $20 million ... I wouldn't do Manny for more than $10 - $12 on the downside of his career.

Each year he will regress ... at what point does he give up the $20 million he gets? If he threatened to give up baseball because he wasn't paid enough, does that sound like he will come to Cleveland for $5 - $8 million?
petes999
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:54 am

This should happen about the same time that pigs grow wings!
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:31 am

Manny back in Cleveland would be HUGE and would be done today if he accpeted a Dunn-like deal (2yr, $20M). But there's no way the Tribe offers $20M/yr to him, and I can't see him taking a discount to come back.

I know we have Choo, Francisco, LaPorta, Brantley, and Crowe in the cOF spots now and in AAA....but Manny makes the offense so much better you make that move even with the plethora of talent in waiting. As good as the last 3 appear to be, they are no sure things. Manny may be a pain, but he's been the best all-around hitter in baseball over the plast 10-12 years. He is a sure thing. He'll also bring back some fans even in Cleveland's dreary economic climate.

I do agree....not really sold on these comments. I'm sure NOW these feelings are legit....but next week who knows. He could say he wants to play in Japan next year to see what it's like, lol

I'd take Thome back on a $1-2M deal as a bench guy/spot starter. He's a good clubhouse guy....but can't see him accepting that. He's still a good DH and some team will give him starter's pay and playing time (but not Cleveland)....my guess is Detroit....they will miss having a 40 year old DH after letting Sheffield go and feel the need to bring in another, lol.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

How pointless is this? I mean this isn't going to happen, so why would someone bother teasing some fans with this idea? The timing of this quote coming out is puzzling to me as well, considering it's coming on the heels of the worst start this team has had since '85.

It's just another thing to get people all riled up about. The "Bring Back Lofton" people are going absolutely insane right now.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 am

npc29 wrote:How pointless is this? I mean this isn't going to happen, so why would someone bother teasing some fans with this idea? The timing of this quote coming out is puzzling to me as well, considering it's coming on the heels of the worst start this team has had since '85.

It's just another thing to get people all riled up about. The "Bring Back Lofton" people are going absolutely insane right now.

I don't think this has anything to do with Cleveland or how we've played. This is all about Manny enjoying more attention and bringing it upon himself, nothing more....

This isn't anyone speculating on him coming back like other articles. This was only brought on by Manny starting the conversation and bringing up Cleveland.

According to an article on yahoo, Manny was quoted as saying he was 'joking' about the comment.....

Personally I don't think he was joking at all.....but I do think he's already changed his mind about it, lol.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby npc29 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Yeah it's definitely about Manny wanting attention, but it sets off a chain of events with this fan base. So many of us are nostalgic and want guys like Lofton and Vizquel to come back, even if it doesn't make any sense. It's so nauseating. Manny may be joking (I don't think he was joking either, he's already said he regretted leaving Cleveland) but some fans aren't going to joke about this.

It then gives bad vibes towards the Dolans and Shapiro when it doesn't happen and they get labeled as cheap.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 pm

npc29 wrote:Yeah it's definitely about Manny wanting attention, but it sets off a chain of events with this fan base. So many of us are nostalgic and want guys like Lofton and Vizquel to come back, even if it doesn't make any sense. It's so nauseating. Manny may be joking (I don't think he was joking either, he's already said he regretted leaving Cleveland) but some fans aren't going to joke about this.

It then gives bad vibes towards the Dolans and Shapiro when it doesn't happen and they get labeled as cheap.

Except adding Lofton in 2007 made perfect sense. I'm not sure we make the playoffs without him (probably do but it'd have been very tight). And adding Manny makes perfect baseball sense.....just not really economical sense for the Tribe.

I agree Dolan/Shapiro will likely be labeled unfairly as 'cheap' but can't fault the guy that took the quote or wrote the article. It wasn't a Cleveland sportswriter that did this; it was a national writer (from USAToday).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Just Say NO!
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby npc29 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:32 pm

I agree that adding Lofton made sense. But I still hear people talk about bringing him back at this juncture, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I understand it wasn't a Cleveland sportswriter. It just angers me that this has to come up. It has really no possibility, so why get people's hopes up when there really is nothing to even blink at? Thome is going to be a free agent, Manny could if he opts out.. But neither really fits for one reason or another. Especially with all the young talent at the OF/1B/DH spots that are getting close.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 am

npc29 wrote:I agree that adding Lofton made sense. But I still hear people talk about bringing him back at this juncture, which doesn't make much sense to me.

I understand it wasn't a Cleveland sportswriter. It just angers me that this has to come up. It has really no possibility, so why get people's hopes up when there really is nothing to even blink at? Thome is going to be a free agent, Manny could if he opts out.. But neither really fits for one reason or another. Especially with all the young talent at the OF/1B/DH spots that are getting close.

Agree about Thome...but Manny fits PERFECTLY on this team (other than money reasons). I don't care if the greatest prospect in the history of baseball is waiting in AAA, Manny is better and gives you a much better chance at winning.

Again, obviously the whole money issue will prevent it from happening and reasonable fans realize this, but still is fun to 'think' about......as long as you're not getting your hopes up.

And I know he hinted at next year saying he and Thome could be free agents.....but Manny could play another 4-5 years. It's 'possible' that he could come back then as a DH at a reduced price. This is Manny though so who knows if he'll still be thinking the same thing tomorrow let alone 4-5 years from now though, lol. And again, not getting my hopes up....and hopefully no one else is.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:22 am

Hermie13 wrote:
npc29 wrote:I agree that adding Lofton made sense. But I still hear people talk about bringing him back at this juncture, which doesn't make much sense to me.

Agree about Thome...but Manny fits PERFECTLY on this team (other than money reasons). I don't care if the greatest prospect in the history of baseball is waiting in AAA, Manny is better and gives you a much better chance at winning.

Again, obviously the whole money issue will prevent it from happening and reasonable fans realize this, but still is fun to 'think' about......as long as you're not getting your hopes up.

And I know he hinted at next year saying he and Thome could be free agents.....but Manny could play another 4-5 years. It's 'possible' that he could come back then as a DH at a reduced price. This is Manny though so who knows if he'll still be thinking the same thing tomorrow let alone 4-5 years from now though, lol. And again, not getting my hopes up....and hopefully no one else is.....

cept manny has a 2 year deal basically so he wont be back for 2 years at the earliest
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:39 am

jellis wrote:cept manny has a 2 year deal basically so he wont be back for 2 years at the earliest

No, it's a 1 year deal with a PLAYER option, not a team option. So it's up to Manny whether he wants to come back and play next year for the Dodgers.

Manny also worked into his deal that the Dodgers can NOT offer him arbitration either year; therefore, any team that would sign him doesn't lose a draft pick.....not that this means much since we don't have the financial means to get him....but does kind of show that Manny isn't entirely sold on LA right now.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if he opts out after this season.....and really, who would be? This is Manny..... :s_sarcastic
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors