RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Choo better be benched tonight.

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Choo better be benched tonight.

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am

If Wedge stays true to form, Shin-Soo Choo should NOT be in today's starting lineup and maybe not even tomorrow's opener, and I will lose the little respect I have left for Wedge if he is in today's lineup....

Not sure if everyone saw the game last night, but I was embarassed for him. He made 2 plays that made me think we had Manny in the field/lineup (and not the good parts of Manny).

First there was that 'triple' by Hamilton. The ball was almost caught on the infield by Cabrera. It was an absolute smash.....but Choo looked like he was jogging and let a ball role by him that was a mere foot or two in front of him. This not only secured a double for Hamilton....but Choo then took his good ole time getting the ball off the wall and getting into throwing position, then allowing Hamilton (who is no Grady on the bases) to get a triple. It wasn't til he had the ball and about to lob it in that he realized that there was actually a guy RUNNING THE BASES and decided he should hurry things up and get the ball back to the infield.

Then in the 9th inning he checks his swing on a 3-2 pitch only to stand around home plate for about 5 seconds looking like a dumbfounded idiot. My grandma could have made it to 1B on that play. Maybe Choo didn't realize that the ball was dropped and thought the game was over....but c'mon. Keep your head in the game. He even looked over and SLOWLY started moving in the direction of 1B. Good lord, I was embarrassed for him (and disgusted). Would have brought the tying run to the plate in Garko.

If you're gonna bench Garko for not running out a groundball (in the middle of a game mind you) you HAVE to bench Choo for that.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Choo better be benched tonight.

Postby npc29 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:56 am

Yeah I noticed Choo not go anywhere on the check swing. It was like he started running, stopped and looked around.. I don't know if he was confused or what, but when I saw him stop it kind of made me wonder if Wedge would do anything today.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Choo isn't in the lineup today....but Wedge never actually said 'he was benched'......ugh.

Wedge did say he thinks Crowe will "Maybe he'll give us a shot of energy." Could be interpreted as "Choo didn't hustle at all yesterday, this team needs a kick in the pants." Hopefully Wedge said something to choo behind closed doors at least.....but I may be giving Wedge too much credit there....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm sure Wedge handled it behind closed doors. Choo's failure to run on the dropped strike three was inexcusable.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby stoike » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I have never known Choo to be the type of player to "dog it". Wonder if he is not 100%?
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 pm

To me Choo seemed more confused then anything else. Considering it had been a full count, he might have thought he had gotten the call and a walk.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby npc29 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:42 am

Thinking back, and to be sort of fair, the ump took really long to make the call, so I can see if he thought he gotten the walk. But I'd still be running just in-case.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:04 am

MadThinker88 wrote:To me Choo seemed more confused then anything else. Considering it had been a full count, he might have thought he had gotten the call and a walk.

So? If it was a walk he STILL should have been going to first. He didn't even move. And yes it's called a 'walk'....but you're not suppose to just walk to 1B, you're suppose to jog. Choo didn't even have to run and would have made it to 1B safely.

There's no sugar coating it.....Choo looked like Manny back in his early days with the Tribe then.....very sad.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Duane Kuiper » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 am

Peralta should have been benched for that extremely poor DP turn that let the runner be safe in Carmona's game. Extremely lackadasical.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:Peralta should have been benched for that extremely poor DP turn that let the runner be safe in Carmona's game. Extremely lackadasical.

Carmona had the worst play though by not covering 1st base. Peralta's was just a bad throw off his back leg...didn't seem that lackadasical to me (unless we're thinking of different plays). It was actually a very good play made by him....was a bad move by Carmona not to look the runner back. Only person to blame there was Carmona, not Peralta.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors