Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

Westbrook to rehab by mid-May?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Westbrook to rehab by mid-May?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

There's been several reports out about how well Westbrook's rehab assignment is going. There's another one (and interview with Jake) in Plain Dealer.

According to Jake, he feels he can start pitching on a rehab assignment by mid-May with the goal of pitching in the MLs by June. He's shooting for June 12th (the 1-year 'anniversary' of the surgery).

If he can come back by then, that may be bigger than any signing/addition we made this winter. He's been one of the most underrated pitchers in the AL the last couple years when healthy, and gave a very gutsy performance in Game 7 vs the Sox.

I know most people will say it's not that big a deal since he'll need another season to get back to pre-surgery form.......which is mostly true; however, there are cases of guys having solid years right after coming back from surgery.

Take our old buddy Paul Byrd for example. On July 1st, 2003 he had Tommy John surgery, which was 2 weeks later than when Jake had his done last year. According to the 'norm', Byrd should have been back in late 2004 and thrown 'ok' but nothing that special. 2005 though he should have been back to form.

Well in 2004 Byrd threw 114.1 IP and went 8-7 with a 3.94 ERA for Atlanta. Even pitched in the NLDS that year for them (though got the loss in game 3). I know those are NL numbers.....but 114 innings is 114 innings no matter what league you are in.

Jake and Byrdie aren't the same type of pitcher (Byrd is a flyball guy, Jake a groundball)....but neither guy relies on a 95 mph fastball to get guys out. They use their secondary pitches. It's a lot easier to come back from TJ surgery when you're not trying to get your arm strong enough to throw 95-96. Jake may actually benefit as a big issue with sinker ballers is overthrowing. He'll likely be less inclined to do this coming back from the surgery even.

I honestly believe Jake can come back, even if it's not til July and be productive for this club, much like Byrd was in 2004 for the braves.

What a HUGE lift that would give this club. Think of what this staff would look like right now if Jake was healthy......

I realize I'm being a bit overly optimistic here......but if the reports coming out of Arizona are at all true.....I dont' think I'm really being 'that' overly optimistic....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Westbrook to rehab by mid-May?

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:43 pm

bryds come back had the help of PEDs, and not matter if you think PEDs make a player better, it is proven that they make you heal much quicker, so I dont think the comparison works as well
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:44 pm

plus remember westbrook had the arm issue and hip surgery his whole body is a mess and he will need time to get back to any point there he can help, I consider anything we get from him a bonus this year
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby carnegie44115 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:25 pm

I bet the Indians will keep Westbrook on the DL as long as they feel they need him to be. Even if there is a starter or two in trouble, I don't think they will rush his comeback because of the depth in AAA. Only Fausto or Lee will bring Jake quicker then necessary and if that's the case what is the point then?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 am

jellis wrote:plus remember westbrook had the arm issue and hip surgery his whole body is a mess and he will need time to get back to any point there he can help, I consider anything we get from him a bonus this year

The hip surgery wasn't that serious and isn't even an issue at this point. Utley had a bigger one and is back playing already.

The only thing is the arm, which sounds very strong.

You can make the arguement that HGH may have helped byrd, but there's no real proof he used at that time. Westbrook is a MUCH better athlete than Byrd too (may be one of the best on the team), so I have confidence he can come back even without the help of those drugs.

Never said what we get from him wouldn't be a bonus....but I'll be a bit suprised if he's not pitching by the All-Star break.....he seems very determined to get back.

And i totally agree. The Tribe will NOT rush him back....that's not what I was saying at all. But if Westbrook is cleared by doctor's sooner than expected, it's not rushing him back.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors