RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Rotation set.....but questions still remain....

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Rotation set.....but questions still remain....

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:36 pm

So with Lewis and Reyes officially being named 4 and 5 in the rotation, we're set there.....but there's still 2 (or maybe 3) open spots left it seems. One on the bench, and 1 (maybe 2) in the bullpen.

Barfield has been the frontrunner for the bench spot all spring.....but offensively he's been doing eveything in his power it seems to not make the club. Has the most at-bats of anyone and can't even hit .200. Will the Tribe still keep him? Or go with the hot hitting Graffanino who plays all the positions Barfield plays basically (no CF, but SS and 1B)?

And does Hafner break camp with the team? Or does he remain behind? Has had some good swings, but no HRs and not really driving the ball like he needs to be. Could some time in extended spring training be the best thing? Choo could DH (might be best thing for the first 2 weeks for him anyways) and Francisco could play RF then.

Then there's the bullpen. Kobayashi is owed $3M.....and has been terrible this spring. Decent last outing, so there's hope I guess. Tribe cut Hernandez by June 2 years ago when he was making $3M.....so the Tribe has shown they won't hesistate to cut him......

Mujica is out of options and is one of only 5 relievers still left. Does he make it just because (Kinda of like Marte, F. Cabrera, and Davis before him)?

Jackson hasn't had a great spring, but decent. Plus is a lefty who can take a bit of pressure off Perez (hopefully). I do like his leg-kick, and if think it should help him in the pen if he's able to adjust to that role (kind of like it helped Jensen Lewis).

Chulk has the experience and a solid camp. Has an opt-out clause where he can opt-out on May 15th if he's not with the ML club. A decent vet to have around.

Herges is the forgotten man, but still hanging around (and suppose to pitch today). Has closer experience and been around the block more than a few times. Probably the longest shot, but crazier things have happened.

Shapiro/Wedge moved quickly to answer the question of who's the 5th starter.....intersting to see how quick they move on these last few questions.

Who do you think will fill out the roster now?

I thought Barfield would get the bench spot....but I'm not so sure now......

Plus I did call for Graffanino being a minor league deal and making the club as a bench guy way back in November and was laughed at......hoping for some vindication here, hehe :s_cool

Kobayashi and Jackson would make sense in the pen too.....but Chulk has been nice....and Mujica has the options thing...... :s_scratchhead
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Rotation set.....but questions still remain....

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:41 pm

In all honesty, I don't care who wins these spots. The 7th bully and last bench spot will be in flux all year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby jellis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Consigliere wrote:In all honesty, I don't care who wins these spots. The 7th bully and last bench spot will be in flux all year.

exactly they are place holders who have little value
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 am

Consigliere wrote:In all honesty, I don't care who wins these spots. The 7th bully and last bench spot will be in flux all year.

I care for the simple fact that a few of the guys vying for these spots could be completely off the team if they don't win it (ie, Mujica or even Chulk by May).

I agree about the pen being in flux all year. It always is (as will the backend of the rotation likely).

But the big things for me to keep an eye on are Looch, Kobayashi, and the $7M owed to them....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 am

Another thing that's a bit of a big thing (and one reason for the thread) is what to do with Barfield if he doesn't hang on to the last bench spot.....

He does have an option left so sending him to Columbus isn't the issue.....it's where he'd play there?

Valbuena is gonna be playing 2B there, so starting there regularly is out of the question.....but the Tribe has shown they want him playing multiple positions and have said they're comfortable with him in the OF and even at 3B (though haven't heard as glowing of reviews there).

Barfield could conceivably play 5-6 days a week in AAA with this new versatility of his. Start a game or 2 a week at 2B with Valbuena playing SS that day (he really impressed me there this spring in the few games I saw him there). Valbuena is a 2B (not saying he's not), but he can play SS and 3B in a pinch and you can bet the Tribe wants him to continue to be able to do that as they love versatility in their young players.

We all know Hodges is no gold-glover at 3B. He could DH or play 1B once a week to allow Barfield to play there as well.

Barfield can also play a game or two in the OF a week letting LaPorta move to either 1B or DH that day.

In this scenario everyone that should be starting is still getting their at-bats reps. Guys that would lose at-bats would be Aubrey and Head really. Aubrey is down to his last option and off the 40-man.....and Head wasn't even invited to ML camp (I don't believe), so don't really see the big issue there.

I still think Barfield gets the ML job as it was basically his job heading into spring training.....then again it was basically Laffey's job heading into ST yet Lewis took it from him......can Graffanino or Gimenez do the same?
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 pm

If Barfield is playing a multitude of positions in Cbus, it will cut into the playing time of Gimenez (unless he takes a majority of time behind the plate and pushes Toregas to the bench).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 am

MadThinker88 wrote:If Barfield is playing a multitude of positions in Cbus, it will cut into the playing time of Gimenez (unless he takes a majority of time behind the plate and pushes Toregas to the bench).

Gimenez should start about half the games at catcher and can still get a game or 2 in a week at other positions. So even with Barfield there, his time shouldn't get cut much if at all. Torregas will never be an every day player. He'll make a good backup one day....but backing up in AAA isn't bad for him really.

I wouldn't even rule out Gimenez starting at 1B instead of Aubrey on opening day for Columbus....

Also, Crowe or Gimenez could be called up pretty quick if the Tribe decides to let Looch go (like Michaels last year)......
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors