RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Yanks 'hole' at 3rd

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Yanks 'hole' at 3rd

Postby MadThinker88 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:53 pm

With ARod down for a few monthes or longer with the hip injury, I have to wonder if the Tribe could flip someone (Marte, Hodges or someone else) for a PTBNL or something else.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Re: Yanks 'hole' at 3rd

Postby jellis » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 pm

he should only miss a month, and they have to have something better than marte
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:58 am

It's the Yankees, guys. They buy the best available regardless of cost and that isn't Marte or Hodges. Might get a pretty good prospect or two for DeRosa. Maybe even Hughes/Betances/Brackman good. Much better than what we gave up but this is fantasy thinking. However, the Yankees do not have much organizational depth except for RH pitchers and an overabundance of OFs that cannot play defense for shit. The Yankees would probably want us to take either Swisher or Nady, neither of which excite me much. Unless they take Dellucci. I am confusing me. Time to sign off! :s_wacko
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:36 am

keep dreaming the yankees arent taking marte or dellucci of the tribes hands.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:50 am

According to Cashman, if ARod has the surgery he'll be out at least four months.

The Yankees would surely look for the best short term solution at the position.....though that would not be any of the Indians guys (aside from DeRosa, who we are not dealing).
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:37 pm

i agree why the hell would cleveland trade DeRosa? they just got him to fill a huge hole and they want to win the division not get a guy like phil hughes who has no proven track record.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:00 pm

They could always move Cano to third from what I've read and sign one of the vets out there at second like a Durham, but if they want a third baseman, they'll probably have to trade for someone.

What a culture shock that'd be for Marte if he was sent there. He could either completely kill his career or revive it.

Whatever they do.. They better play it right. If they choose to rehab and it doesn't take, he could possibly miss the entire season or at least a good portion of it. That's really going to suck for them.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Here's a thought. How about Peralta to NY for Chamberlain. Joba only a #5 starter there, and Hughes is behind him. Peralta played 3rd in winter ball, and we have Cabrera to play SS. Until Carmona proves he's returned to form, Chamberlain could be a #2 for us. If that gives us too much starting pitching, well, that's like gold on the trade market.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:27 pm

ok you trade peralta then were right back where we were before the trade of DeRosa
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:28 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Here's a thought. How about Peralta to NY for Chamberlain. Joba only a #5 starter there, and Hughes is behind him. Peralta played 3rd in winter ball, and we have Cabrera to play SS. Until Carmona proves he's returned to form, Chamberlain could be a #2 for us. If that gives us too much starting pitching, well, that's like gold on the trade market.

Peralta might be the 2nd most reliable bat (after Grady) in the lineup this year. I don't think you can afford to trade him for a guy who, although extremely talented, is going to have to be limited with his innings pitched this coming season.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:53 pm

Peralta might be the 2nd most reliable bat (after Grady) in the lineup this year. I don't think you can afford to trade him for a guy who, although extremely talented, is going to have to be limited with his innings pitched this coming season.

I agree Peralta is a reliable bat in our lineup, especially with Hafner still a question mark. But it opens a spot for a potentially bigger bat in Weglarz. And we get one of the more talented and inexpensive young arms in baseball.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby MickS » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:46 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:

I agree Peralta is a reliable bat in our lineup, especially with Hafner still a question mark. But it opens a spot for a potentially bigger bat in Weglarz. And we get one of the more talented and inexpensive young arms in baseball.

Unless you're suggesting that Weglarz be moved to the infield (I'll assume you aren't), Weglarz and Peralta have nothing to do with one another. If Weglarz were ready (and he isn't) he'd already be here playing in the OF with Jhonny as a teammate. If we trade Peralta we're right back with the same infield problem we started with before acquiring DeRosa.
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 pm

MickS wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:

Unless you're suggesting that Weglarz be moved to the infield (I'll assume you aren't), Weglarz and Peralta have nothing to do with one another. If Weglarz were ready (and he isn't) he'd already be here playing in the OF with Jhonny as a teammate. If we trade Peralta we're right back with the same infield problem we started with before acquiring DeRosa.

My bad. I meant Hodges.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:13 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:
MickS wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:

My bad. I meant Hodges.

issue is hodges is unproven, he had a great half in AA last year and is not ready for the majors, he could be a heck of a 3 baseman he could be a career minor leaguer either way he has not shown enough to even consider him as a starter for a contending MLB team. On top of that the yanks would never trade Joba because of what he means to that team unless they pulled off a monster win, and I wouldn't do the deal as an Indians fan. Joba cant stay healthy and has control issues, he will end up back in the pen so we trade the best hitting SS in the AL for another MR
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I agree about Joba's health issues but he has TOR talent. The Yankees won't let him go. My point, which I expressed poorly, was that the Tribe may trade anyone which will make the team better. I, for one, believes the team has enough options to cover the trade of nearly anyone if it will make the team better. In the case of the Yankees, I think that means RH pitching and corner OFs if anyone can be had that the Tribe admires.

BTW, the NYTimes did a scathing article yesterday on the ARod medical situation. Really an indictment of the team. I tried to post here but couldn't get the article to highlight because of the restrictions. I am looking forward to my next visit to the "big apple" to see what's up at the sports bars on 3rd ave.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Any chance you could simply link the article? Reading you post I got the impression you were trying to copy/paste.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:33 pm

didnt tex used to play in the minors
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:43 pm

jellis wrote:didnt tex used to play in the minors

I thought he 'outgrew' it and Hank was a better defender at 3B anyway. With Tex moving across the diamond, the Rangers were willing to deal off Pronk. Not enough space at 1B/DH for all the 'bats' they believed they had ready to help the big league team.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:02 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
jellis wrote:didnt tex used to play in the minors

I thought he 'outgrew' it and Hank was a better defender at 3B anyway. With Tex moving across the diamond, the Rangers were willing to deal off Pronk. Not enough space at 1B/DH for all the 'bats' they believed they had ready to help the big league team.

its a wild idea and would never happen but I thought he got moved soley because hank looked like the next great 3B, if he could still play 3B they could then move posada to 1st where he will end up before the year is done and Molina is at least better than many of there options for 3B. Yes this will never happen but thats the point of message boards random crazy ideas that would never work in application
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:12 pm

I've heard some runblings that Cano might get moved over since the Yanks have a better chance of signing a 2B. Another rumbling is trading for Mark Teahan. I think one of those options would take place before trying Tex and moving Posada from behind the plate.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Guess who's playing 3B for the Indians on Sunday. Jhonny. Just a co-incidence, I'm sure. :s_wink
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:15 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:Guess who's playing 3B for the Indians on Sunday. Jhonny. Just a co-incidence, I'm sure. :s_wink

well derosa is in the WBC right, so we dont have a regular third baseman do we
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:41 am

The Indians have said that Peralta will play some 3B this year.

The permanent move to 3B is going to happen soon, just not this year (and maybe not the following year), but it will happen.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 am

There is now word that ARod is having scope surgery and would be out 6 to 9 weeks
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:41 am

Consigliere wrote:According to Cashman, if ARod has the surgery he'll be out at least four months.

The Yankees would surely look for the best short term solution at the position.....though that would not be any of the Indians guys (aside from DeRosa, who we are not dealing).

That's if he goes for the full blown surgery. He's just having the cyst removed and minor work done from what I've read, so only a 10 week layoff likely.

He'll likely need another surgery after the season, but in that case he'll have 4 months to get ready for opening day.

I know I'm gonna get bashed for this again.....but I think Carroll would be a good fit for the Yanks. i'd rather have him starting for 4-5 weeks than Ransom at 3B.

But since it is the Yanks I could see them try and go after a guy like Blake DeWitt. He's on the Dodgers bench now that they signed Manny and Hudson. Dodgers are a bit thin at starting pitching so the yanks could part with Kennedy or Hughes for him. Can play 3B while A-Rod is out and back up 2B and even some 1B then once A-Rod is back.

I think Cantu would be another good option thanks to his versatility.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting Swisher (inkslinger mentioned him). I'd much rather have him in LF than Francisco. His salary though would be a bit troublesome for the Tribe though. We'd have to trade Kobayashi or Looch along with Carroll (adn that alone wouldn't get the deal done).

In the end, i'm not expecting a deal with the Tribe and Yanks......but you never know. DeRosa would be a perfect fit for the Yanks.....but no way the Tribe trades him unless Hughes or Joba is on the table, which isn't happening....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors