RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Choo may not play in WBC opener?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Choo may not play in WBC opener?

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:25 pm

According to the South Korean manager, the Indians will decide if Choo will play in the WBC.

Choo has been experiencing soreness in his left elbow recently...his throwing arm and the same elbow he had TJ surgery on.

Says he may DH some though......

Hopefully this doesn't linger into the season and affect Choo's offense.

Here's the story on yahoo: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ao8UawF8WO_ZZW8UnxA3fp0X0bYF?slug=ap-wbc-southkorea-choo&prov=ap&type=lgns

Also interesting to note....it's not just Major Leaguers that are skipping the WBC to prepare for real baseball....one of South Korea's best hitters is skipping it to prepare for Japanese league baseball. Nothing to do with the Tribe, but find it interesting....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Re: Choo may not play in WBC opener?

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:24 pm

If Choo is hurting in anyway, I'd prefer he be kept out of it (the WBC).
The only reason I would want to see him participate is if it could get him exempted from the military service requirement of South Korea.
Last edited by MadThinker88 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby npc29 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 am

MadThinker88 wrote:If Choo is hurting in anyway, I'd prefer he be kep out of it.
The only reason I would want to see him participate is if it could get him exempted from the military service requirement.

I agree with that... and it seems they've made it painfully clear that he wouldn't get an exemption even if they win. Which sucks.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 am

I have read that he will DH with the Indians approval. Who knows what unsaid "quid pro quo" there is if any? Nothing like that will be said publicly ever?
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby toledobuck » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Choo went 1 for 3 yesterday in their 9 - 0 win over Chinese Taipei. The starting pitcher for Chinese Taipei was the Tribe's new Asian import Chen Chang Lee who is slated to be a reliever at Kinston this year. Lee got bombed only going a third of an inning and giving up a grand slam and maybe a couple more runs.
toledobuck
Rookie Baller

Postby cardiackidz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Taipei is so good in little league, it shocks me how bad they suck in WBC.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:57 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:I have read that he will DH with the Indians approval. Who knows what unsaid "quid pro quo" there is if any? Nothing like that will be said publicly ever?

Some New York Times report said we filed with the WBC to get him removed and Shapiro didn't really comment on that, other than say they were going to let him continue. No clue what happened there.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 am

cardiackidz wrote:Taipei is so good in little league, it shocks me how bad they suck in WBC.

Not sure about other countries.....but the best US kids don't play Little League baseball. They play on traveling teams or in other leagues. I'm sure this explains how they are better in that tourney than this one....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors