RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Joe Smith - total body fatigue

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Joe Smith - total body fatigue

Postby dnosco » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:15 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... eliev.html

While you can't necessarily predict what a reliever will do from year to year you CAN set yourself up for success rather than failure.

Joe Smith = super against righties with the upside of figuring out how to get lefties out because he is still young.

Sounds great, right? Maybe too good, given how much he was used. BTW, to me to wear and tear comes from how many times you are used as you are warming up each time you are getting ready and on the mound. How many inninigs you pitch overall is, at most, as important as the above and certainly not more important, assuming you are not used a lot (or at all, if possible) out of the role you have been conditioned for.

Joe Smith might be great this year...but to me he is a candidate for a down, if not injury-plagued year.

I think the Mets sold high on this guy. The Indians probably think they sold low...but they thought the same thing about Scott Stewart, as well.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Joe Smith - total body fatigue

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:28 pm

we gave up gutierrez for smith and valbuena.......

I really like Gutierrez, but unless valbuena is a total flop, we made out like bandits here, even if smith blows out his arm tomorrow.

I think he'll be fine and is actually one of the least likely candidates of the guys in the pen to have an injury (I'd put Wood, Perez, Lewis, and Betancourt all as more likely.....but maybe that's just me). He's been a bullpen guy since college and actually has thrown more innings before in a season than last year (threw 78.1 in 2006, though in fewer appearances).

Some guys like throwing ever day or every other day. Can actually be better for your arm then throwing 100 pitches every 5 days.

Obviously though, you never know and Smith could totally blow out his arm.....but I actually like the fact that he had 'total body fatigue'. Tells me he's using his whole body in pitches and not just putting all the stress right on his elbow and/or shoulder. Tells me he gets good leg action and torque of his upper body.

Sounds more like a guy that'll get one of those contagious oblique pulls than a big time arm injury.....but again, we'll see.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby dnosco » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Hermie13 wrote:we gave up gutierrez for smith and valbuena.......

I really like Gutierrez, but unless valbuena is a total flop, we made out like bandits here, even if smith blows out his arm tomorrow.

I think he'll be fine and is actually one of the least likely candidates of the guys in the pen to have an injury (I'd put Wood, Perez, Lewis, and Betancourt all as more likely.....but maybe that's just me). He's been a bullpen guy since college and actually has thrown more innings before in a season than last year (threw 78.1 in 2006, though in fewer appearances).

Some guys like throwing ever day or every other day. Can actually be better for your arm then throwing 100 pitches every 5 days.

Obviously though, you never know and Smith could totally blow out his arm.....but I actually like the fact that he had 'total body fatigue'. Tells me he's using his whole body in pitches and not just putting all the stress right on his elbow and/or shoulder. Tells me he gets good leg action and torque of his upper body.

Sounds more like a guy that'll get one of those contagious oblique pulls than a big time arm injury.....but again, we'll see.....

Agreed on the trade value. Still, we made this trade to help us this year, at least in part. If it doesn't help us this year because we have taken on a guy who was primed to spend a lot of time on the DL, it doesn't help this year.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:25 pm

hes a side arm thrower those guys are pretty notoriously durable
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors