RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Steroids and Baseball History

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Steroids and Baseball History

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Well, I hear that A-Rod tested positive for Steroids back in 2003. This actually surprises me. He didn't look bulked up, and he does have a ton of "natural" talent too. But it goes to show how you can guess, but can't really tell who has been juicing. This is a big deal for me. One of the reasons I love baseball is because they have been playing it for over 100 years, an you can still try to compare players of different eras.

But if you can only guess who played inside the law, it makes comparisons difficult. And it will only get worse. Imagine your kids or grandkids debating people like Fred McGriff, Griffey, A-Rod. Who was using, what seasons, who was tested, who has more homers, and who has more rumors?

Here's an example. Here are the top 10 finalists for the 2002 AL MVP voting.
1. Miguel Tejada X
2. Alex Rodriguez X
3. Alphonso Soriano
4. Garret Anderson
5. Jason Giambi X
6. Torii Hunter
7. Jim Thome
8. Maglio Ordonez
9. Manny Ramirez
10. Bernie Williams
I put an "X" next to known steroid users. The other just have varying degrees of suspicion. Should the 2002 MVP be taken away from Tejada, like a tainted Olympic medal, and be awarded to Soriano? Or was he using too, and just didn't get caught? :s_scratchhead
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Steroids and Baseball History

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 am

How many of the pitchers that all these guys were facing were juiced up though too?

Everyone thinks that only guys that really 'bulk up' are on steroids. That's simply not true. Many Olympians that have been busted weren't any bigger than their opponents. Just made it easier for them to work out and get the muscle mass, plus helps greatly in recovery time and stamina.

Our own Raffy Betancourt has tested positive and been suspended.....does he look any more muscular than many other relievers? eh, not really. But really helps in recovery time and getting an extra 1-2 mph on the fastball.

I know it's not 'exactly' the same.....but should we throw out all pitchers stats from before 1920 if that pitcher was known to throw a spit-ball? It wasn't against the rules back then....and even though the PEDs were 'banned' by baseball....the ban wasn't enforced. It'd be like never put any cops on a highway yet saying that it's illegal to speed. People speed even with cops....they'd do it even more and with less guilt if they new there was no one out there to punish them for it.....

It is a shame though, that steroids have tarnished the game in a way. But I think people are getting a bit too upset about it. Cheating and baseball go together likes 'peas and carrots'.....from stealing signs, illegal spitballs, cameras in the outfield, steroids, substances on the ball for pitcher...yadda, yadda......

Baseball does need to get better testing and really enforce the new PED rules......but going back and asking what ifs about a time when baseball dropped the ball isn't what the game needs or should focus on.....at least IMHO.....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:52 pm

I feel where there is smoke there is fire, and a lot of the roids use happened on the same teams. SO I find it great that our great sluggers of the 90's have had little to no connection that I can think of to PED. We might have had 3 of the top 10 clean hitters of the 90's here
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:59 pm

jellis wrote:I feel where there is smoke there is fire, and a lot of the roids use happened on the same teams. SO I find it great that our great sluggers of the 90's have had little to no connection that I can think of to PED. We might have had 3 of the top 10 clean hitters of the 90's here

I thought Albert Belle used a "natural" enhancement, like cork. But his early retirement with chronic injuries makes me wonder.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 pm

yeah......well I'd like to have you skeptism here.....but I'd put money on Albert Belle being a user. He 'found' his swing at the 1995 All-Star game....which had steroid poster boy Mark McGuire on the AL squad.....

He hit 14 HRs and had a .585 SLG pre-All Star game. Not bad for only 67 games thanks to the shortened season.....but after the All-Star game? 36 HRs and slugs .787.....not to mention slugging .938 in September (slugging, not OPS)! Then just 5 years later has to retire thanks due to a hip issue.....

Yeah, maybe it was just arguably the greatest hitting month in the history of baseball.......or maybe he had a bit of help.....we may never know....

Had his bat taken when they thought it was corked (the streak he was on was almost god-like).....he did the lil point to the arm muscle......

Belle was smart. He got busted with a corked bat before and suspended.....betting he learned of PEDs (hence the muscle point)......

I'm bet anything that roids played a part in that hip issue (not even getting into his clubhouse outburts....roid rage?)......

And I'm still not sold on Thome never using....his minor league numbers were pretty similar power wise to Giambi's.....and Thome grew nearly as big and was hitting balls even farther later in his career......he was a twig when he came up too.....though he is a country boy.....

I think Manny was too dumb to take steroids....probably held the syringe in his hand and couldn't figure out how to get the juice into his body so gave up, lol
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors