RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Zach Jackson apparently not out of options?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Zach Jackson apparently not out of options?

Postby carnegie44115 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 pm

This is in from Castrovince, stating according to a rule, Jackson is allowed a 4th option year, this would be very big for us in flexibility if the Indians wanted to give that seventh spot in the bully to Mujica and not give Jackson the 5th spot in the rotation.

A few people have e-mailed about Zach Jackson's Minor League options status, related to his mention in yesterday's Pavano story.

Jackson has a fourth Minor League option. How did he pull this off? Well, there's a stipulation in the rulebook that players entering their fourth or fifth professional season who have already been optioned out in three separate years receive a fourth option. Seasons spent entirely in short-season leagues don't count toward that tally, so Jackson's 2004 stint in the New York-Penn League doesn't count.

Is this right Tony?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Re: Zach Jackson apparently not out of options?

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm

sweeeet. Castro is usually dead on with these types of things. I'm betting he's right. Good news here.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby MickS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Very good news, if true. It was unlikely that Jackson would break camp on the active roster.
MickS
Draft Prospect

Postby carnegie44115 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:54 pm

Well lets say Jackson is in AAA to start the year, if the Indians wish to keep him as a starter, Lovullo should have fun with a rotation of 4 LH and more than likely Ohka.
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby Jake Taylor » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Sounds like good news. Puts a lot of pressure on Mujica to perform with all these major-league ready arms in Columbus.

Castrovince has really separated himself from the pack this year. Love reading his mailbag on the Indians website, too.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby Fundamentals » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:24 pm

I was saddened to read on CastroTurf that MLB.com has decided to ditch the mailbags this year.
Fundamentals
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby carnegie44115 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Fundamentals wrote:I was saddened to read on CastroTurf that MLB.com has decided to ditch the mailbags this year.

But he did say he would still answer some questions sent to an email address he has from time to time on CastroTurf, that shows how much Castovince is dedicated to reporting on things about the Indians. Props to him and :s_thumbsup :s_thumbsup
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Although Castro has gotten some great scoops this off-season, until a second source confirms the 4th option for Jackson, I'll keep the fingers crossed.

The flexibility will help the Tribe but I was really liking the idea of Zach as the 7th man/ long man in the bullpen.

As for Mooooo, I'd likely prefer what is behind door #2 or door #3
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:39 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Although Castro has gotten some great scoops this off-season, until a second source confirms the 4th option for Jackson, I'll keep the fingers crossed.

The flexibility will help the Tribe but I was really liking the idea of Zach as the 7th man/ long man in the bullpen.

As for Mooooo, I'd likely prefer what is behind door #2 or door #3

Be careful what you wish for, it could be Pavano. However, even though I trust Castro, I would like to see this confirmed as well. It would explain some things that had me puzzled. Tony may have to do some adjusting to his Columbus roster. I wonder if he would be in the rotation or pen. I would think the pen but that is a guess. Might also facilitate a trade.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 pm

That is why I wrote 'likely prefer'. If the options behind doors 2 & 3 were Juan Rincon and Jose Jimenez, I'd put another hitter on the bench. Go Mashers :s_thumbsup
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:00 am

Yes, this is true. I did not think to look up Jackson's contract status, but I wrote a piece about the 4th option year rule back in November explaining it:

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -year.html

Since Jackson signed in 2004, but his play in short-season ball that year does not count as a season. His 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 seasons count which is only four. So, yes, this is why he qualifies for the 4th option year.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Duane Kuiper » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 am

Tony, you need to update your contract page for Jackson's 1 option remaining.
Duane Kuiper
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:Tony, you need to update your contract page for Jackson's 1 option remaining.

Got it. Thanks.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Jake Taylor » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:32 pm

It sure is going to be interesting to see how the rotation at Columbus works out. If Jackson isn't kept on the ML roster as the long-man, he'll likely be in the mix with Sowers, Laffey, Lewis, Huff, Ohka, Dixon, Herrmann, and Edell.

Of course at least one of the aforementioned will be the #5 starter in Cleveland, but that's still a lot of pitchers to make determinations on. Any chance that one or two of them may start the year again in the rotation at Akron? I hope not, as that would mean that Lofgren would likely be moved back to the bullpen.
Jake Taylor
Rookie Baller

Postby carnegie44115 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Jake Taylor wrote:It sure is going to be interesting to see how the rotation at Columbus works out. If Jackson isn't kept on the ML roster as the long-man, he'll likely be in the mix with Sowers, Laffey, Lewis, Huff, Ohka, Dixon, Herrmann, and Edell.

Of course at least one of the aforementioned will be the #5 starter in Cleveland, but that's still a lot of pitchers to make determinations on. Any chance that one or two of them may start the year again in the rotation at Akron? I hope not, as that would mean that Lofgren would likely be moved back to the bullpen.

I could see Dixon starting again at AA in the rotation, unless they wanted to put him in the bullpen at AAA, I know its been said for Edell could possibily become a guy in the bullpen too, that may be the case, but Edell had a much better year at AA than Dixon or Herrmann, and has similar LH/RH splits for BAA for 2008 and a WHIP that got better at 1.16. Though can he be our next Raffy Perez, perhaps, but would we be hurting ourselves if he is a better starting option than Laffey, Sowers or Lewis?
carnegie44115
Rookie Baller

Postby TonyIBI » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:25 am

Jake Taylor wrote:It sure is going to be interesting to see how the rotation at Columbus works out. If Jackson isn't kept on the ML roster as the long-man, he'll likely be in the mix with Sowers, Laffey, Lewis, Huff, Ohka, Dixon, Herrmann, and Edell.

I think that because it is a numbers game, that one of Edell/Dixon start in the Akron rotation and the other goes to the Columbus bully. The most likely Cleveland rotation barring health is Lee-Carmona-Reyes-Pavano-Laffey.....and if Jackson makes the Cleveland bully which I still think happens it means the rotation in C-Bus is Lewis-Huff-Sowers-Herrmann-Ohka
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

So take it you're assuming that even though the Tribe kept Mujica rostered over Aubrey that he's gonna get released and not make the pen out of ST?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that happening since Jackson still has an option left....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:35 pm

time will tell I think,mujica is like a little boy taking a pee hes barely holding on
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Return to Beyond The Minors