Indians Prospect Insider - Covering the Cleveland Indians from the Minors to the Big Leagues

OF market just got a little tighter

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

OF market just got a little tighter

Postby jellis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Pat Burrell signed for 2 years 16 mil with TB, part of his salary goes to a TB charity.

So still more bats than teams, if the Indians want they could add an interesting bat towards the end of FA. Would you rather have Francisco starting every day of an Abreu or Dunn
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Re: OF market just got a little tighter

Postby indianinkslinger » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm

jellis wrote:Pat Burrell signed for 2 years 16 mil with TB, part of his salary goes to a TB charity.

So still more bats than teams, if the Indians want they could add an interesting bat towards the end of FA. Would you rather have Francisco starting every day of an Abreu or Dunn

I think the question is more properly framed as "Would you rather have Abreu or Dunn instead of Sizemore?" Because that is the OF you would have to let go to afford either. In any event, I'll take Francisco and wait for one of the lads in Columbus.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 pm

I think for one year abreu would come cheap at this point
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby cardiackidz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

your not geting either of them. they will score runs, what they need is a starter.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby npc29 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 pm

I'd rather have a starting pitcher and I don't even think there is money for that.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 am

I don't think regardless of what is available the Indians will sign anyone. Payroll is already over $80M for 2009....I can't see them signing anyone of significance even if they come on the cheap for 1-2 years at $6-8M.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 am

hmm, well I see it at $78-79M but I'm being nitpicky there. Depends if they move Shoppach and his arbitration money.....and if they can pull off a stunner and move one of Looch/Kobayashi then it's 'possible' to land Dunn......but I agree, not seeing it. Pretty much as soon as we signed Wood we eliminated any chance of getting a guy like Dunn....

Though I would take Dunn over any of the remaining starters.....even with the rotation we currently have...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby JP_Frost » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:32 pm

I read somewhere that Dunn will likely cost more than Burrell (and he should). He's the best of the LF/DH guys and I wouldn't be surprised if he got a deal similar to Ibanez.

Outside of the contracts the Yankees dished out, this seems like a very affordable offseason. There haven't really been any head scratchers (maybe Renteria, but these are the Giants we're talking about) and most deals seem to favor the clubs more than in previous years. I'm sure the economy has something to with it, but let's hope this carries over to next year.
JP_Frost
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:59 pm

Next year's free agent crop doesn't look too good. I think part of it this year was so many talented players hitting the market at the same time. Next year you have Holliday and Bay (if he's not extended by the Red Sox).....and Andruw Jones I guess for the OF.

This year you had Bradley, Ibanez, Ramirez, Dunn, Burrell, and Abreau just for the OF. Then there was Tex, Hudson, and Furcal on the IF. Roberts will be out there on the infield next year on the IF...

Pitching wise was a huge year this year too with so many closer hitting the market (Wood, K-Rod, Fuentes, Hoffman, Ish........and Borowski, lol). Not to mention the starters: CC, Burnett, Lowe, Pettitte, Johnson, Sheets, Perez, and others.

The economy had a lot to do with the lower numbers (other than Yanks)....but I think the huge amount of talent at certain posisitions helped drive down prices.

SS was a weak spot after Furcal....explains why Renteria got a nice chunk of change.....same with the 3 years for Blake (3B was very weak). But the OF, SP, and RP markets were strong, driving most prices down (BIG exception with CC obviously, lol).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors