RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Carl Willis?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Carl Willis?

Postby dnosco » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:49 am

Interesting but on the forums I read I have not seen any commentary about him. Maybe some existed after Cliff Lee won the Cy Young but I haven't seen it if it exists.

I have had questions about him in the past but how can this guy not be considered one of the best pitching coaches in baseball right now? I mean, two Cy Young award winners in two years, one on a team with a .500 record.

I guess it could all be luck and he could really suck as a pitching coach, but, if so, the guy needs to buy a lottery ticket or two because he has to be one of the luckiest guys in the world if he is a bad pitching coach and had two Cy Young award winners in back-to-back years.

On that note, it is interesting that Leo Mazzone was the only one who could get Jaret Wright to put it all together. I wonder if we just need to give Willis some time to work with our young lefties to get them to realize their potential.
dnosco
Triple-A Stud

Re: Carl Willis?

Postby jellis » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:45 pm

yeah but look at where a guy like lee gets straightened out in AAA not in the majors, Personally I feel willis is over rated
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby cardiackidz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:34 pm

hes not the pitching coach for a new york team or boston thats why you dont hear about him.
cardiackidz
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:38 pm

I couldnt name a pitching coach right now on any team but texas and thats only cause they stole him from MIl
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby npc29 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:39 pm

We'll see what happens with Anthony Reyes if you ask me.. I think it all depends on how the pitcher adapts to their teacher. Reyes seems to take to Willis more than he did Duncan.

Let's not underestimate what Willis did with Lee in the offseason.. Taking him down to his house and basically telling Cliff he still had the confidence in him.. You may think oh big deal, but that's part of being a pitching coach and Willis probably isn't the best one out there, but he has a way of relating to players.
npc29
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors