RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

When Do the Changes Start?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

When Do the Changes Start?

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:39 pm

The season is young but some things are obvious.

1. The young starting pitching is not yet ready for prime time. How many more starts do Carlos and Slazar get?

2. The on going problem of the team being a dominant left handed hitting team is huge. If Chiz gets sent down think of how much of the offense would be demoted to Columbus.

3. Those that are supposed to lead are not.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Re: When Do the Changes Start?

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Swisher and Santana have their names in the batting order , written with permanent marker. Clean-up hitter on pace for 10 ribbies!!!
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

martyinnewyork wrote:Swisher and Santana have their names in the batting order , written with permanent marker. Clean-up hitter on pace for 10 ribbies!!!

I'm BEGGING Tito to move Swisher out of the #2 hole. He's KILLING this team right now.. Same with Santana at #4.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 am

I think they absolutely have to address the righty/lefty balance. The hottest hitter on the team is Chiz and he is one of the candidates for demotion when another lefty Giambi comes back. He could follow the other hot hitting lefty, Morgan, on the road to Columbus.

How can it be when less than 20% of the population is left handed that we are overwhelmed with them?

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:06 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
martyinnewyork wrote:Swisher and Santana have their names in the batting order , written with permanent marker. Clean-up hitter on pace for 10 ribbies!!!

I'm BEGGING Tito to move Swisher out of the #2 hole. He's KILLING this team right now.. Same with Santana at #4.

Just turn the roster upside down.. Lonnie leading off.. Droobs second.. Yan in the three hole.. Brantley batting clean up.. Murph fifth..etc.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 am

A.Zajac wrote:

Santna is hurting us, though walking enough that he's still valuable in the middle of the lineup. Brantley has been hot to start the year in large part to getting to bat with guys on base so much, specifically Santana who despite hitting .145 to this point is 4th on the team in runs scored. Really think you need to consider moving Santana up more in the lineup though...

Can understand why a move hasn't been made. Still too early to panic and start changing everything, though need to try something soon to break up some of these slumps.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 pm

It is becoming apparent with each passing game that the Indians have developed a slugger in Jesus Aguilar. Is he ready now? Well, maybe. The switch seems to have been turned on late last season and winter ball.
We haven't had a RH slugger since the days of Belle and Ramirez.

The real problem as I see it, is where to play him. He's always played 1B. Switching him to 3B now is crazy, and risky.
I don't want to get rid of Swish. Murphy's doing fine,and we've got 2 or more 3B now. So what to do with Aguilar?
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:18 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:It is becoming apparent with each passing game that the Indians have developed a slugger in Jesus Aguilar. Is he ready now? Well, maybe. The switch seems to have been turned on late last season and winter ball.

The real problem as I see it, is where to play him. He's always played 1B. Switching him to 3B now is crazy, and risky.
I don't want to get rid of Swish. Murphy's doing fine,and we've got 2 or more 3B now. So what to do with Aguilar?

Some scouts still debate whether Aguilar can handle 1B in the bigs full-time. DH spot is open still against lefties (Raburn in RF). Aguilar and Chiz could make a good platoon option there in 2014...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

Hermie13 wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:It is becoming apparent with each passing game that the Indians have developed a slugger in Jesus Aguilar. Is he ready now? Well, maybe. The switch seems to have been turned on late last season and winter ball.

Some scouts still debate whether Aguilar can handle 1B in the bigs full-time. DH spot is open still against lefties (Raburn in RF). Aguilar and Chiz could make a good platoon option there in 2014...

Oh my.. already starting on the next guy who can't play defense at the ML level.. smh.. some things, usually measured by intangible means, never change..

Aguilar is not a gold glove candidate for 1B, but, he can handle the spot. He's adequate defensively, no more, no less. With hard work (something he's not afraid of), he will become a quality ML 1B'er. BTW.,. those same or kind of scouts that are being referred to, said that Michael Brantley would be better suited for 1B than the outfield.. HOW WRONG WERE THEY and HOW WRONG CAN THEY BE!!????

Putting injury call ups aside.. Aguilar will probably follow the unwritten plan the Indians use.. promotions are given each year, one level at a time. It's not a bad plan.. and the rewards can be extended player control.. or revealing weaknesses that can be worked on in the minors..etc..

At the end of today.. it can be said that Jesus Aguilar is MLB ready offensively.. If he's brought up to the major leaguers.. he'll hit.. (Just like Jose Abreu is hitting.. maybe for a LOT more average and could sneak into consideration for runner up for AL ROY against players like Yordano Ventura, Yangervis Solarte, and the winner, Masahiro Tanaka). He'll create runs.. and he'll impose his will on the opposition. Defensively, he'd be a work in progress around the bag at first.. take the good and the bad. In Jesus' & the Indians' situation, the good far out weighs the bad...

We shall see...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Oh my.. already starting on the next guy who can't play defense at the ML level.. smh.. some things, usually measured by intangible means, never change..

Aguilar is not a gold glove candidate for 1B, but, he can handle the spot. He's adequate defensively, no more, no less. With hard work (something he's not afraid of), he will become a quality ML 1B'er. BTW.,. those same or kind of scouts that are being referred to, said that Michael Brantley would be better suited for 1B than the outfield.. HOW WRONG WERE THEY and HOW WRONG CAN THEY BE!!????

Putting injury call ups aside.. Aguilar will probably follow the unwritten plan the Indians use.. promotions are given each year, one level at a time. It's not a bad plan.. and the rewards can be extended player control.. or revealing weaknesses that can be worked on in the minors..etc..

At the end of today.. it can be said that Jesus Aguilar is MLB ready offensively.. If he's brought up to the major leaguers.. he'll hit.. (Just like Jose Abreu is hitting.. maybe for a LOT more average and could sneak into consideration for runner up for AL ROY against players like Yordano Ventura, Yangervis Solarte, and the winner, Masahiro Tanaka). He'll create runs.. and he'll impose his will on the opposition. Defensively, he'd be a work in progress around the bag at first.. take the good and the bad. In Jesus' & the Indians' situation, the good far out weighs the bad...

We shall see...

Where did I say Aguilar can't handle 1B? :rolleyes

Simply pointing out that you don't have to play Aguilar at 1B, and repeating what others have said about his defense. Agree, scouts can be wrong (I mean, some thought Asdurbal was a good defensive SS). Right now though don't think anyone would say Aguilar is better defensively at 1B than Swisher and the DH spot is in flux right now, especially against lefties....

I was replying to Ghost's post about "what to do with Aguilar"....as he said, 1B is full...so I mentioned DH. Pretty straightforward.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Chiefroy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:07 am

Aguilar to get time at 3rd base...roughly once every 10 days. If they're doing this, they must feel he can handle 1st base well enough already. Can't hurt his chances for a call-up I suppose if he has some position versatility. But may be a couple of months at best before we see him in Cleveland, I would guess...unless Swish, Rayburn, and Santana keep flailing away without success. Do good Jesus. We need a stick.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... e&c_id=cle
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:21 pm

I really don't understand this tendency with the Indians to have a prospect change positions, especially in AAA. I can see it when a player is new to the system in A or AA. AAA is for finishing a players development.
Plus just look at him. Aguilar is a moose. He belongs at 1B, and is adequate defensively there.
Let him play 1B or DH, and bring him up soon.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 am

I don't see how having Aguilar play 3B helps him with this team. They have Santana entrenched as the everyday 3B. You have Chisenhall there, and Aviles gets some time as well. If he's going to be a lefty masher as suggested, why would you put him at a position with your best right handed hitter? It's not like he'll be a defensive upgrade over Santana. Furthermore, against lefties it's not like Santana needs to move to catcher or 1B, since Swisher and Gomes are two of your other best righties against lefties.

The only way that makes sense to me is if they're considering moving Santana to full time DH, back to catcher or to 1B. As a platoon partner with Chisenhall, it makes perfect sense. But it seems like being able to play RF/LF would be the much more valuable move, especially with the way Raburn is struggling.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:05 am

Ed/Ted.... another consideration is the mental flummox that can come from a position change.. The kid is raking.. he doesn't have to think about what to do with the leather.. he goes to 1B, catches the ball, doesn't have to throw anywhere..etc.. At 3B..he'll have more "stuff" to think about.. and that could damage what is his greatest asset.. his ability to mash.. Taking a few balls at 3B.. shagging a few fly balls during BP..okay.. but, I agree with Ted..just leave the kid alone..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby indians1 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:21 pm

part of the problem is that you are stuck with Swisher at 1B and Santana at 3B. Until these guys start hitting, it doesn't matter who we bring up.

We have an "ACE" in Masterson who is pitching inconsistent which is his ammo. McCalister isn't doing much. Kluber is pitching well but the start of the season has been a disaster.

The only guys hitting are Brantley and Chis. It goes back to player development and it is showing that we still have a long way to go. Francona can only do so much. Unless we get better at developing players, we are going to have periods where we have a good season like last year and then we are going to have 3 or 4 in a row that are bad.

And with a fan base that sucks and doesn't support the team like they do the Browns, the crowds of 10-15K are going to be the normal.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors