RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Danny Salazar to be called up for spot start

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Danny Salazar to be called up for spot start

Postby Chiefroy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Francona said that Salazar will probably be sent back down after starting on Thursday. When that happens, he'll return to the same squad as Carlos Carrasco, who would have been the starter on Thursday, but was designated for assignment and optioned to the Clippers after another disappointing outing. In six starts with the Indians, Carrasco has an 0-4 record and a 9.10 ERA.

When Cleveland decided to have Carrasco take his next turn in the Minors, Salazar got his shot.

"When the coordinators had come through a couple weeks ago, that was one of the topics -- was he ready to handle one of these spot starts, and it was a unanimous 'yes,'" Francona said. "So, we're kind of excited."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... e&c_id=cle

I'm kind of excited, too. Maybe he'll throw strikes, get outs, and show Carrasco and Bauer how it's done.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Re: Danny Salazar to be called up for spot start

Postby GhostofTedCox » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I think there is a good chance Salazar is being showcased for a potential trade.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby Edible14 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:34 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:I think there is a good chance Salazar is being showcased for a potential trade.

Seems likely. Although, I'm coming around to the idea that he might be a better bet than Bauer or Carrasco. We need at least one of those three to step up and be a part of the rotation next year and for the future.

Funny how a lot of people were puzzled by Salazar being added to the 40 two years ago, and now he's potentially a big trade chip.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Edible14 wrote:
GhostofTedCox wrote:I think there is a good chance Salazar is being showcased for a potential trade.

Seems likely. Although, I'm coming around to the idea that he might be a better bet than Bauer or Carrasco. We need at least one of those three to step up and be a part of the rotation next year and for the future.

Funny how a lot of people were puzzled by Salazar being added to the 40 two years ago, and now he's potentially a big trade chip.

Unless the Indians are being serious blown away by a trade offer, it's doubtful that Salazar will be anything more than a one and done.. spot start in Cleveland on July 11th and heading back to Columbus immediately after.. What he's being put on the hill to show is that he can get ML hitters out.. that he has poise and presence.. and that under the bright lights he has command and control of his pitches. His craft is well defined and allows him the ability to slow the game down.. Fortunately, he'll have guys like Giambi and Swisher and Michael Smooth to calm him as the butterflies attempt to nauseate him.. Should be a good show.. At least I hope so...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chiefroy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:45 pm

6 innings, 2 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 89 pitches, 64 strikes.

This is what I was hoping to see. Caught a little of the game on MLB.TV and saw Salazar hitting 97-98 with his fastball.
Maybe someone can give a more detailed analysis of his start as far as swinging strikes, called strikes, and what his secondary pitches looked like. But whatever he was throwing, Toronto was not hitting it.

Other than his start vs K.C.(which compares favorably with this start by Salazar), Carlos Carrasco has been terrible. Bauer had a quality start vs Yankees, but in his other 3 appearances it they ain't hitting it, he'll just walk them to first base. These two have issues they need to work out and I don't know how long it may take 'em.

I know minor league pitchers can sometimes impress because the hitters don't know their stuff yet, but that shouldn't take away what Salazar did today. Maybe he IS that good. At least he knows where the plate is and how to throw a pitch over it. Yes, when McAllister is back, he'll be in the rotation. But Salazar immediately has become our 6th guy...ahead of the once highly regarded duo of Carrasco and Bauer. Another injury or someone goes to shit, I'd plug Salazar in for another go. He may need to stick around in the pen, because some of those guys are pretty damn shaky.

If we're thinking of trading Salazar for some half-season rental, we better think again. He just might be a stud.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby indians1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:32 pm

When the indians have nothing else in their farm system in terms of pitching, we need to hold onto salazar.

Carrasco and Bauer are not even close to being major league ready and i think we will need another pitcher at some point to be in the rotation.

The indians have to put lindor and salazar as untouchables and say anybody else is available.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

...Maybe someone can give a more detailed analysis of his start as far as swinging strikes, called strikes, and what his secondary pitches looked like. But whatever he was throwing, Toronto was not hitting it...

Fastballs.. lots of them..arm side run.. some as low as 93, most at 95 - 96, a few up to 99.. Didn't see a triple digit, but the ball just explodes out of his hand.. He pitched ahead in the count.. all six innings.. His only real hiccups were a few release point / feel pitch issues with his change up. His change up was always down in the zone.. and about 10 - 12 mph slower than his FB. The good arm action was augmented with a ball that tumbled or dropped about a half foot.. The few breaking balls he threw...definitely need some work on spinning them to get more bite and could become more of a weapon. He'll need that pitch to become an elite SP.. The Fastball / Change / Cut was working like he has been on a baseball diamond in the major leagues for ten years... For the Jays, it wasn't even close. The only Jay that seemed to have good at bats was Rajai Davis... no one else seemed to be able to figure him out..

It was an exceptional outing in a Major League debut..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm

The first hit Salazar surrendered was the bloop type hit to LF. Also, the walk occurred after Lonnie Chiz failed to make a play on a foul pop up to his side. He lost it in the sun, it helps if you wear shades or eye black. Impressive, dominate and encouraging. I can see why the Tribe is trying to protect that arm by limiting his pitch count.

I'm curious If they send him back down to manage his service clock and call up a bullpen arm to give the pen some rest.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chiefroy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks, GS.

And I didn't realize you guys have already been discussing Salazar on the Game Thread. :redface

Also today, a somewhat encouraging AAA start for Carrasco. 5.1 innings, 4 hits, 1 BB, 8 Ks and 3 ER as the result of 2 dingers in the 4th. 96 pitches, 58 for strikes. 7 groundball outs, 1 flyout. WHIP good, Ks good, 2 HRs not-so-good. Would like to see 96 pitches get him at least 6+ innings and more strikes, but at least he got the win and didn't fall to pieces. Perhaps even more encouraging was Bryan Price who finished the game with 3.2 innings of 1-hit ball with 4 Ks. A quick check of his last 10-game stats shows he's been pretty dominant.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:43 am

Yeah, 24 K's against only 3 walks for Price in his last 19 innings with a .154 BAA. I'd say that's pretty dominant.

Considering how bad the Tribe's pen has been this year I'm wondering if we'll see Price or Guilmet or CC Lee at some point in the second half.

And if Kazmir continues to be inconsistent I wonder if they'll bring up Salazar and bump Kazmir to the pen.

Edit: Probably not - Kazmir has a 2.19 ERA in his last four starts. He's been pitching better lately.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 am

Chiefroy wrote:Thanks, GS.

And I didn't realize you guys have already been discussing Salazar on the Game Thread. :redface

Also today, a somewhat encouraging AAA start for Carrasco. 5.1 innings, 4 hits, 1 BB, 8 Ks and 3 ER as the result of 2 dingers in the 4th. 96 pitches, 58 for strikes. 7 groundball outs, 1 flyout. WHIP good, Ks good, 2 HRs not-so-good. Would like to see 96 pitches get him at least 6+ innings and more strikes, but at least he got the win and didn't fall to pieces. Perhaps even more encouraging was Bryan Price who finished the game with 3.2 innings of 1-hit ball with 4 Ks. A quick check of his last 10-game stats shows he's been pretty dominant.

YW...it just seemed like the appropriate spot to discuss the outing.. which was, as illustrated by the comments, impressive. It should be noted that the blockheads at the Akron Beacon Urinal have already buried Mr Salazar to a life in Columbus until next year or few meaningless starts if disaster strikes in Cleveland.. Gotta love the positivity..

The Carrasco outing.. Every time he (or Bauer.. or even Salazar now) pitches at a home that is any place other than at the corner of Ontario and Carnegie, the statistical results have to be looked at with at least a bit of a jaundiced eye.. Was he working specifically on one aspect of his delivery of a specific pitch to the detriment of the team's goal to win the game? (e.g. throwing slider after slider to gain command of that pitch) or was he really pitching? The stats aside, having an eyeball on the game surpasses the statistics. Having good stats with the work doesn't hurt, either.. Carrasco and Bauer will no doubt take notice of the results of this outing by Danny Salazar. In other words, the competition is joined. The Indians will have options coming in the second half of the year with these three guys.. All bring it in the mid 90's or above.. Only one of them has shown he can pound the strike zone with the power stuff. None of these three guys have shown they may be better suited for the pen.. It's gonna be a good show..

So, with the 'Z-Mac Attack' on the way back.. 'Tomlin-sanity' attempting to get into meaningful games by the end of August, "Rocking the Kazmir" showing he's got it together.. Ubaldo pitching to a less than 2.9 ERA in his last ten starts..Masty being Nasty..and 'Kluber-Lang' pounding out wins (and it's said that he can hit a golf ball a country mile) especially following a loss.. this is becoming a pretty deep starting pitching staff..If we could just get the drama out of the pen..

Onward and upward to the KC Royals for what looks like a PERFECT weekend weather wise for baseball..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
...Maybe someone can give a more detailed analysis of his start as far as swinging strikes, called strikes, and what his secondary pitches looked like. But whatever he was throwing, Toronto was not hitting it...

Fastballs.. lots of them..arm side run.. some as low as 93, most at 95 - 96, a few up to 99.. Didn't see a triple digit, but the ball just explodes out of his hand.. He pitched ahead in the count.. all six innings.. His only real hiccups were a few release point / feel pitch issues with his change up. His change up was always down in the zone.. and about 10 - 12 mph slower than his FB. The good arm action was augmented with a ball that tumbled or dropped about a half foot.. The few breaking balls he threw...definitely need some work on spinning them to get more bite and could become more of a weapon. He'll need that pitch to become an elite SP.. The Fastball / Change / Cut was working like he has been on a baseball diamond in the major leagues for ten years... For the Jays, it wasn't even close. The only Jay that seemed to have good at bats was Rajai Davis... no one else seemed to be able to figure him out..

It was an exceptional outing in a Major League debut..

Salazar was fantastic. I feel we have another arm in AA now that will be very similar, and that is Adams. I actually expect Adams to be in the Tribe bullpen before seasons end. The additions of him and Lee add 2 more power arms to go with Allen and Shaw. While I have lost all confidence in Bauer, I still hold Carrasco dear. For a system baron of SP, things are really coming together. If they trade Cabrera for more, then it has become a system with great SP and MI depth. Now if Frazier, Naquin, Santander, and Moncreif get their due respect then this system is definately on the way up. It is definately exciting times in Tribeville.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby ASUTribefan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Salazars velcoity was down if anyone noticed, was only sitting 94-97 range. Arm getting tired?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Salazars velcoity was down if anyone noticed, was only sitting 94-97 range. Arm getting tired?

Fastball averaged 95.1 against Toronto in his first start and averaged 95.1 against the Twins. Was at 97.2 against the Tigers. Could have been an adrenaline bump as it was a bigger game (or the gun could have been amped up for the bigger crowed).
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:18 am

Hermie13 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Salazars velcoity was down if anyone noticed, was only sitting 94-97 range. Arm getting tired?

Fastball averaged 95.1 against Toronto in his first start and averaged 95.1 against the Twins. Was at 97.2 against the Tigers. Could have been an adrenaline bump as it was a bigger game (or the gun could have been amped up for the bigger crowed).

FanGraphs has another story about the Salazarian.. it was posted before yesterday's Masterson outing, but, still relevant. The article describes Salazar's fastball velocity:

..Salazar has thrown his fastball at an average velocity of either 96.4 mph (according to BIS data) or 95.9 mph (according to PITCHf/...

So, we'll just split the difference and call it 96 and leave it at that..The key to Salazar's outings will be his control and command of the split change. The pitch is sooo good from a mechanic's perspective.. That is, it comes out of his hand just like his fastball.. It's indistinguishable. Even when you slow down the videos of his throwing the pitch, until you see the ball rolling off / through his fingers, you can't tell. Where ever he learned that pitch or who ever taught him that pitch should introduce themselves to Corey Kluber and Zach McAllister..

Anyway.. the rest of the article can be read at: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-no ... 3-innings/
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Return to Beyond The Minors