RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 MLB Trade Deadline

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

2013 MLB Trade Deadline

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:29 pm

There's still more than a month until the July 31st trade deadline. There is already speculation and rumors swirling who goes where, who will be buyers and sellers, etc. There's still a lot of ball to be played between now and July 31 and anything can happen between now and then, so let the discussion begin...
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Re: 2013 MLB Trade Deadline

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 am

I'd like to see the Indians unload Cord Phelps. He's never going to get a shot here. He's a young, cost-controlled guy and could be used as part of a package to get back something from a rebuilding team. The Blue Jays and Marlins are teams that could use him. I don't know what we could get out of the Blue Jays, although they also could use some relief help, and given that they're a team that's looking to compete, we could get something substantial out of a Phelps/Smith or Phelps/Albers package. Maybe even Phelps/Perez. They've cycled through the likes of Justin Germano, Neil Wagner and Aaron Laffey this year. The Marlins would be a good fit for Phelps, but I don't know if I really want Ricky Nolasco on this team even if it's just for Phelps. They have a pair of decent lefty relievers, though, in Jennings and Dunn.

Of course, the team with probably the worst starting second baseman is the White Sox with Keppinger. But he's on a 3 year deal and they'll likely just ride it out (similarly, I don't think the D'Backs are going to look to replace Prado). And there's the usual reasons to not trade in-division.

Our trade chips:
Phelps
Right handed relief depth - Smith and Albers being one year away from free agency are obvious candidates. But consider that next year you pretty much have roles ready for Allen, Pestano, Perez and Shaw. You only need one other righty, and that could be any of Tomlin, Langwell, Lee, Wood, Herrman, Adams and Salazar. So any of those guys could be included as well if the Indians are dealing to a more rebuilding-focused team
Ronny Rodriguez/Jose Ramirez - Ronny is starting to come on as of late, similar to his season last year in Carolina. But ultimately we all know that Lindor is the future and Ronny is probably best getting a chance elsewhere. Similarly, with Kipnis manning 2B, Ramirez is expendable (although there isn't anyone behind him to get excited about at 2B). They're both attractive enough prospects to fetch something of value in a trade
Paulino/Lindor - I'd only be willing to include either of these guys in a trade for an ace-type pitcher
Zach McAllister - Again, only if we're talking an upgrade at starter. But if we get that kind of pitcher, and one that we can have control of beyond 2013, McAllister becomes expendable. Kluber, Masterson, Bauer, and Carrasco can round out the rotation just fine along with a free agent or two (also, Josh Tomlin). McAllister strikes me as the most tradeable as Carrasco is a headcase that other GMs will be wary of, Bauer has too much upside and Masterson/Kluber should be close to untouchable at this point
Lonnie Chisenhall - If the Tribe trade for a 3B that's more than just a year stopgap, Chis would logically be part of that deal.

Targets:
I'd like a more defensive-oriented backup catcher. Neither Gomes nor Santana are that good defensively, and Marson wasn't even that good himself. Having a guy who can be a late-inning defensive sub seems like a good idea to me. But I think the Indians are of the mind that they prefer getting offense from the position given their history, so maybe this isn't on their to-do list. Besides, there's a plenty good defensive catcher in AAA in Roberto Perez.

Left-handed reliever, obviously. Although I think Hill will balance out, Hagadone and Barnes are both sub-par and not showing signs of improving.

Starting third baseman - Focusing on the teams that are out of it except for the Mets, they're obviously not trading Wright (nor would you want him, signed through 2020 as he is). I wouldn't want Polanco from the Marlins, Dominguez and Gillaspie are just as bad as Chis if not worse. Uribe wouldn't be a terrible option from the Dodgers, as a one-year rental if the cost was low (similar thoughts on Michael Young from the Phililes). Seager from the Mariners would be a good pickup for us, but I don't think they're going to trade a productive young 3B in a rebuilding mode (similar thoughts on Plouffe). Aramis Ramirez would be a good candidate, controlled through next year as well. Luis Valbuena has somehow salvaged a major league career with the Cubs as a 3B, but I wouldn't want to trade anything of value to test whether that's just a mirage.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 am

Yesterday I read a rumor that the Tribe is willing to consider moving Chris Perez this summer as a bit of a salary dump move. Of course there is alot more moving parts to that than even implied. The assertion was pretty simple, Perez might perform better else where and needs a change of scenery and it would free the Tribe some money to pursue other needs. If anything it's something I think they should think about.

Btw, it's not something I think the Tribe ultimately ends up doing during the season unless they totally tail off in the next few weeks. I do expect the Tribe to move on from Perez sometime this offseason.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm not sure that CPerez will bring enough back (at the moment) to make the trade anything more than a salary dump. Until the legal issues have ran its course, there are too many ??? in Perez's future. Plus if he comes back and performs, the strong BP is the Indians' best path to being a contender late into the season and possibly make the play-offs. The BP gives the Indians an advantage over many of the contenders. And being in contention deep into September and maybe into the play-offs would do so much good for this team.

With that said, the team really needs to finish June/July strong or we may see them moving players for young MLB ready talent.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Here's a few names to watch as the trade deadline nears...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees ... 14872.html
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:34 pm

If were considering anyone off of the list form Homer's link, you would think that the only two real targets would be Garza and the Cuban Gonzalez. Honestly, I can't see the Indians making a major move considering they don't have any real big holes on offense and despite having questions with the rotation, they have been performing and we still have some depth with Myers, CarCar, and even Salazar. Not sure Bauer is gonna end up being an option this year with the work hes doing with his mechanics in Columbus.

Honestly, I would not want to trade for a starter unless I knew he was a sure fire #2-3 starter in our rotation. I don't want to go out and grab someone who would be similar to what we already have outside of Masterson. Garza fits that description, but with so many richer teams with holes in they're rotations the asking price could be a little steep, and he has the injury concerns.

Ricky Nolasco and Paul Maholm would interest me if the price was right, but they fit more of that 4-5 starter mold that I'm not sure we absolutely need. They do however present the same kind of upside that Ubaldo has shown the last few months. I've always like Nolasco. I would be very interested to see if he could perform similar to Anibal Sanchez when he was traded last year. He may just need out of Miami. If Travis Wood was available, he would certainly be an arm I would want to look in to.

I think were gonna be looking at one Bullpen addition, but I fear with so many teams in the race still, its going to be hard to come away with a reliable lefty without having to give up to much. Every team in the majors could use another reliable lefty in the bullpen. I don't know much about the lefty relievers around the league, but I would be curious to see how many of them would be upgrades, and how many of them would actually be available.

On a another trade related note, it is nice to see some of our better prospects playing so well this time of year. RRod certainly has upped his trade value this past month, and Moncrief, Aguilar, Ramirez, and Urshela certainly have good value as the 2nd player in a trade. LRod, Naquin, Santander, and a number of our relief pitchers should also carry nice value in a trade situation.

If you guys had to rank them, how would you rank our minor league players for the upcoming trade deadline?
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Here's a few names I think we could see get moved by the deadline....

Matt Garza - RHSP Cubs
Scott Feldman - RHSP Cubs
David DeJesus - OF Cubs
Nate Schierholtz - OF / 1b Cubs
James Russell - LHRP Cubs
Ricky Nolasco - RHSP Marlins
Steve Cishek - RHRP Marlins
Mike Dunn - LHRP Marlins
Ryan Webb - RHRP Marlins
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:32 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Here's a few names to watch as the trade deadline nears...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees ... 14872.html

The Indians don't need an outfielder or a 2B, so I'll ignore the speculation about Crawford, Ethier, Rios and Utley. Also ignoring Morneau.

Lee - It's been covered. There's too many sensible reasons (contract, he's old, he'll be really old at the end of the contract, the Phillies don't need to dump money) why this won't happen.

Stanton - As much as we don't need an outfielder, obviously an exception can be made for Stanton if he's made available. I don't think such a deal would get done, as I doubt we have the ammo to get him, but given the Marlins' historical cheapness I guess anything is possible. A package of Stanton/Nolasco for McAllister, Brantley or Stubbs, Phelps and a minor league piece of some sort would be a crazy deal, but there's good things there for both sides.

The Dodger's excess of utility guys and starters - Capuano, Punto and Uribe are the only guys that will be on the block that interest me. I wouldn't sink anything of great value into getting any one of them. If the Indians decide to pick up some one-year rentals, this is a good place to go, and we'll probably only have to trade a middle reliever/lower-tier prospect to do it.

Jesse Crain - Not really what the Tribe needs unless they work out trading Chris Perez.

Oliver Perez - A distinct possibility, as lefty relief is exactly what the tribe needs. No idea what we'd have to give up for him.

Garza - He'll generate a lot of interest, so the cost could be high. Unfortunately, the Cubs' biggest strength is their young middle infielders (although Castro has been bad, they've got him signed until 2019), so our biggest prospect trade chips wouldn't be enticing here. The Indians will likely have to involve a third team to get Garza (or Edwin Jackson or Scott Feldman) for our trade chips. Maybe McAllister to the Cubs and Ramirez/Rodriguez to the Cardinals so they can kick a young pitcher towards Chicago. Something like that might work.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah obviously, the Tribe will not be in on some of these guys BUT other teams like the Red Sox, Yanks, TIGERS, Rangers, Rays, and maybe the Royals will likely be in on some.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Would love to get Capuano, he's a LHP that can either start or work from the BP and he has a mutual option for 2014 at 8mil, though I'm not sure if it's still valid after a trade?

What would it take to get him? Merritt? Morimando? Packer? House?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm

The Indians have traded John McDonald to the Phillies for PTBNL or cash.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:24 am

The International Free Agent signing period begins July 2nd. Teams can now trade up to half of their allotted pool money. Rumor is the Chicago Cubs are looking to pick up some additional money. Btw, the Cubs have several pieces (Garza, Soriano, Feldman, etc) on the mkt available via trade.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:09 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The International Free Agent signing period begins July 2nd. Teams can now trade up to half of their allotted pool money. Rumor is the Chicago Cubs are looking to pick up some additional money. Btw, the Cubs have several pieces (Garza, Soriano, Feldman, etc) on the mkt available via trade.

Without a reasonable point of reference, the value of the IFA spending pool and the players acquired make this a risky proposition. For risk averse teams. it would be a perfect use of this 'asset'.(they aren't going to use it anyway, why not get something for nothing?). So, are you saying that these three guys (Garza?Sori/Feld) can be had for some IFA pool money or some of the IFA pool money can be part of the return for one of these three guys?..

Are there other guys that may be of interest from the cubs (outside of their top 5, let's say) for some of this IFA cash?..

I just don't know about this avenue for talent acquisition...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Christian Villenueva would be a nice get.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:32 pm

@ G' Son,

I really don't know where potential trades involving international spending pool money will go. How teams value say a $750K slot of their bonus pool money. That's a good VERY young prospect. Right now, there is simply no way to gauge the mkt on this cash, so anything I say will be pure speculation.

The question could be, "what does it really mean to the team trying to acq. the pool money." Lets say for instance Chicago really wants an IFA like Rafael Devers but are short $500K of signing him, it would mean more in that instance. OR... It could become about creating more creative opportunities. Turning a large chunk of change into multiple prospects for a team with a weaker system. That could go both ways, creating more prospects for a team. OR... In essence, more prospects (or higher level of talent) involved in the trade.

Lets say a team such as Texas, which is always aggressive on the international front wants more cash bc they were only allotted $1 M. The Rangers could look to acquire additional cash for (real) developed prospects already in their system or big league talent. For example, the Rangers could possibly turn a prospect or big league player into another $1M to spend. Point being, there are numerous routes a team could take to either add cash or acq. talent.

As for players I think the Cubs could move outside of their bigger names...

(this is pure speculation).
James Russell - LHRP
Nate Schierholtz - OF/1b

However, I think a team could build a pkg involving a large sum of the IFA spending pool money. Lets say for instance a team lacking real depth to their farm system (like the Tribe) really likes Scott Feldman the team could build a pkg involving something like: $750 K of their IFA spending pool, and a cpl prospects. Essentially, a good portion of the cash could be used as a priority prospect to offset the lack of talent from their system. Basically, the ability to trade this pool money gives teams the ability to turn this cash into some NOW results at the big league level.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:09 pm

July 17th the competitive balance lottery will be held. The Tribe will likely be eligible for one of these picks. FWIW, these picks are another trade option for teams. Two of these picks were traded last yr. One trade was a swap of picks by the Marlins and Tigers. The other involved Gaby Sanchez going from the Marlins to the Pirates. I expect we will see a few of these picks moved again as teams seek creative ways to enhance their draft capacity.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm

So... maybe trade some IFA cash and PaT BeNaL for a competitive lottery pick.. or two.. sounds like a good plan...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:37 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:So... maybe trade some IFA cash and PaT BeNaL for a competitive lottery pick.. or two.. sounds like a good plan...

Kind of a way of spending prospects (in trades) without ever spending a dime to develop them.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Rios is terrible in RF tonight
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Rios is terrible in RF tonight

Speaking of the White Sox word is everybody but Konerko and Sale can be had.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 pm

daingean wrote:I'm not sure that CPerez will bring enough back (at the moment) to make the trade anything more than a salary dump. Until the legal issues have ran its course, there are too many ??? in Perez's future. Plus if he comes back and performs, the strong BP is the Indians' best path to being a contender late into the season and possibly make the play-offs. The BP gives the Indians an advantage over many of the contenders. And being in contention deep into September and maybe into the play-offs would do so much good for this team.

With that said, the team really needs to finish June/July strong or we may see them moving players for young MLB ready talent.

I still think the Tribe could move Perez even if contention. Even though I am not a big fan he does make then pen better. That said, he is just way too expensive for his skill/production (or lack thereof). He is the 2nd highest paid guy on the team this year and likely is looking at around $10M next year in his fourth and final arbitration year. Teams could get desperate for back end bullpen help and overpay for Perez despite his bloated salary.

One wildcard that could play into dealing Perez is Brett myers (and to a lesser extent Blake Wood). Myers was terrible as a starter but may be effective when he (or if he) returns as a relivever as Francona has said he would.

If Perez's injury was more serious or he absuletly bombs the rest of the year I think he could have been looking at a non-tender actually. $10M for him just doesn't seem to fit the budget for next week year. Not with all the raises coming plus a possible Kipnis extension...
Last edited by Hermie13 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Edible14 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:29 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Rios is terrible in RF tonight

Speaking of the White Sox word is everybody but Konerko and Sale can be had.

They have some interesting assets, if Kenny Williams wants to deal. Rios is their best position player and could be traded, but Crawford, Ethier, and potentially Stanton complicate the market for Who deals for Peavy given his injury history and contract when you can get the same production (probably) out of Ricky Nolasco? Crain is almost sure to be dangled, but you're always limited in what you can get for just a reliever. They should get some decent prospects, but it's hard to get good prospects when everyone knows you should be selling and there are other options available.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

Hermie13 wrote:
daingean wrote:I'm not sure that CPerez will bring enough back (at the moment) to make the trade anything more than a salary dump. Until the legal issues have ran its course, there are too many ??? in Perez's future. Plus if he comes back and performs, the strong BP is the Indians' best path to being a contender late into the season and possibly make the play-offs. The BP gives the Indians an advantage over many of the contenders. And being in contention deep into September and maybe into the play-offs would do so much good for this team.

I still think the Tribe could move Perez even if contention. Even though I am not a big fan he does make then pen better. That said, he is just way too expensive for his skill/production (or lack thereof). He is the 2nd highest paid guy on the team this year and likely is looking at around $10M next year in his fourth and final arbitration year. Teams could get desperate for back end bullpen help and overpay for Perez despite his bloated salary.

One wildcard that could play into dealing Perez is Brett myers (and to a lesser extent Blake Wood). Myers was terrible as a starter but may be effective when he (or if he) returns as a relivever as Francona has said he would.

If Perez's injury was more serious or he absuletly bombs the rest of the year I think he could have been looking at a non-tender actually. $10M for him just doesn't seem to fit the not the budget for next week year. Not with all the raises coming plus a possible Kipnis extension...

IMO, they'll move on from Chris Perez this offseason. I thought they should sell high this past offseason. Maybe someone really likes him. IF a team like the Giants can handle some personalities that they have in the past I think they could be a taker. Honestly, I don't know how their pen is doing right now, but they did express interest in Perez last yr at the deadline. $10M is just too much for this club to sink into the Closer spot. Particularly, when the Tribe has depth in the pen.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

If Perez's injury was more serious or he absuletly bombs the rest of the year I think he could have been looking at a non-tender actually. $10M for him just doesn't seem to fit the not the budget for next week year. Not with all the raises coming plus a possible Kipnis extension...

IMO, they'll move on from Chris Perez this offseason. I thought they should sell high this past offseason. Maybe someone really likes him. IF a team like the Giants can handle some personalities that they have in the past I think they could be a taker. Honestly, I don't know how their pen is doing right now, but they did express interest in Perez last yr at the deadline. $10M is just too much for this club to sink into the Closer spot. Particularly, when the Tribe has depth in the pen.

Fully disagree with the sentiment expressed.. As long as the Indians intend to be in contention, a strength of the club has to be and continue to be the back of the pen. Chris Perez is that guy..

He stays..

He stays even for $ 10 MM/year.. which isn't too much for a club that intends to contend...

You ride the horse what brung you..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:51 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

im not sure how we have depth in the pen, Smith and Allen are the only ones who haven't been terrible at some point or another and you can count on them being solid. everyone else is 50/50 right now and our LHP are probably the worst in the league in the pen
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

Fully disagree with the sentiment expressed.. As long as the Indians intend to be in contention, a strength of the club has to be and continue to be the back of the pen. Chris Perez is that guy..

He stays..

He stays even for $ 10 MM/year.. which isn't too much for a club that intends to contend...

You ride the horse what brung you..

I disagree, simply bc I feel there's just too many "moving parts" with Chris Perez. I doubt it will be a salary dump type move and if you look at the payroll there will be flexibility to keep him. I just think, there's too much invested in Perez that could be used to upgrade the SP. That said, it is possible the Tribe decides to move ACab too or instead to upgrade the SP staff. I think that will continue to be a priority.

FWIW, personally, I am a Chris Perez fan, I'd love to see him perform and stick around at a discounted price. But realistically, I cant see them justify spending on $10M on the CL. It would best be spent else where.

There is some speculation in the media (cant remember where I saw that - mlbtraderumors link?) that he wants to move on from Cleveland or could use a change of scenery...which could lead to a trade. Regardless, I think the off field stuff and arm woes will certainly weigh down his trade value.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:17 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:

im not sure how we have depth in the pen, Smith and Allen are the only ones who haven't been terrible at some point or another and you can count on them being solid. everyone else is 50/50 right now and our LHP are probably the worst in the league in the pen

Looking at this season yes there are troubles in the pen. Obviously, the LHP has been woeful. My comments RE: depth in the pen... As for LHP, it seems likely TJ House, Gio Soto, Matt Packer and 2013 draftee Kyle Crockett could all have shots at being in the pen. That is not to mention Hagadone and Barnes who might actually get it together. No, they are not NOW answers, but I was referring to next yr.

On to the RHRP I suspect arms like, Blake Wood, CC Lee, Preston Guilmet, Austin Adams, Shawn Armstrong and maybe even Trey Haley (if he gets straightened out) could compete for spots outside of Cody Allen, Bryan Shaw and Vinnie Pestano. That is not to mention Matt Langwell, a prospect or two like Enosil Tejada and Jose Flores, or Frank Hermann and Josh Tomlin (if he is not a SP) both returning from TJ. I'm sure there are others I simply overlooked as well.

The point being these are all internal solutions or what Id call depth options going into next yr. Obviously, there will be changes and possibly a few arms brought in. Personally, I think they'll focus on upgrading the LHRP. Fact is, they have to add a cpl more options
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:42 pm

but i see it ias a diffrence between having depth in terms of talent, or just having alot of guys. you're refering too we just have alot of guys
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:23 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:but i see it ias a diffrence between having depth in terms of talent, or just having alot of guys. you're refering too we just have alot of guys

I somewhat agree, although I like Shawn Armstrong, Kyle Crockett, CC Lee and Blake Wood. I think Austin Adams could pan out too. I'm looking at that (what they have) and working with the thought they might resign Joe Smith and add a cpl LHRP.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 pm

The Orioles have DFA Jair Jurrgens. He is a guy I think the Tribe could kick the tires on.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:58 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Orioles have DFA Jair Jurrgens. He is a guy I think the Tribe could kick the tires on.

I used to really like Jurrgens, but if the O's couldn't use him, I don't think we're gonna have much use for him. They want some SP even worse than we do.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Just thinking a SP depth option type move, but I agree. Although I'd rather have Jurrjens than Joe Martinez.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Francour was DFA in KC too
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Francour was DFA in KC too

I have seen a lot of Francouer over the yrs, I liked him a cpl yrs ago but his bat seems to have fallen off. Maybe a platoon type. I think he is a bit pricey though??? I kind of like the Raburn / Stubbs mix in RF. Although, I would like to see the Tribe consider Nate Schierholtz. Although I'm not sure how he'd fit.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:35 pm

BrianM wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:The Orioles have DFA Jair Jurrgens. He is a guy I think the Tribe could kick the tires on.

I used to really like Jurrgens, but if the O's couldn't use him, I don't think we're gonna have much use for him. They want some SP even worse than we do.

Jurrjens was optioned to AAA. He could have declined as he has enough experience but accepted the demotion.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Dodgers looking to trade for Carlos Marmol, could take them out of Perez/Smith/Pestano if we choose to move one at the end of the month.

Yankees could look to move Granderson.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Dodgers looking to trade for Carlos Marmol, could take them out of Perez/Smith/Pestano if we choose to move one at the end of the month.

I sure hope you don't mean the Yankees would consider trading Granderson.. because that isn't happening. He's on the DL for starters.. but there's less than a one percent chance they would move him even if he was healthy.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Dodgers looking to trade for Carlos Marmol, could take them out of Perez/Smith/Pestano if we choose to move one at the end of the month.

I sure hope you don't mean the Yankees would consider trading Granderson.. because that isn't happening. He's on the DL for starters.. but there's less than a one percent chance they would move him even if he was healthy.

100% incorrect. according to multiple reports on MLBTR the Yankees are shopping him.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 pm

•The Yankees aren't planning a fire sale, but if they did, they'd have some of the most attractive trade chips in the game. The Yankees could part with Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes, however, and Rosenthal adds Curtis Granderson's name to the mix, assuming the injured outfielder gets healthy in time.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 am

ASUTribefan wrote:•The Yankees aren't planning a fire sale, but if they did, they'd have some of the most attractive trade chips in the game. The Yankees could part with Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes, however, and Rosenthal adds Curtis Granderson's name to the mix, assuming the injured outfielder gets healthy in time.

Rumors are just that... rumors. Wake me up when it happens because it won't.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:05 am

I could definitely see the heYanks moving Grandersdon. They'd have to call a lot further back though, but he is a free agent. If they get more than what a qualifying offer would bring...

Don't think he affects Cleveland though. Not a fit and would cost too much.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby ASUTribefan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:•The Yankees aren't planning a fire sale, but if they did, they'd have some of the most attractive trade chips in the game. The Yankees could part with Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes, however, and Rosenthal adds Curtis Granderson's name to the mix, assuming the injured outfielder gets healthy in time.

So in other words no sports news outside of Box scores exist? because thats all anything is rumors. but i thought you said they weren't lookin to move him? why is it being reported otherwise?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

So in other words no sports news outside of Box scores exist? because thats all anything is rumors. but i thought you said they weren't lookin to move him? why is it being reported otherwise?

How many "rumors" are reported around this time? Out of those, how many of those rumors actually happen?
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:09 pm

The Orioles have acq. Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger from the Cubs for Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop and $388,100 of their IFA pool money (2 slots).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby ASUTribefan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:57 pm

not that we need rios but he has a 6 team NTC with Oakland, New York, Colorado, Houston, Arizona and KC.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Edible14 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:42 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:The Orioles have acq. Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger from the Cubs for Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop and $388,100 of their IFA pool money (2 slots).

The Cubs went out and signed a ton of IFAs after that, including Eloy Jimenez. I like their strategy. Although they still have to acquire more of that money if they're going to sign Jimenez for what he's reported to have signed for and avoid penalties.

Indians also sign Willy Castro and Junior Soto for a combined $1.45M
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:24 am

Edible14 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:The Orioles have acq. Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger from the Cubs for Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop and $388,100 of their IFA pool money (2 slots).

The Cubs went out and signed a ton of IFAs after that, including Eloy Jimenez. I like their strategy. Although they still have to acquire more of that money if they're going to sign Jimenez for what he's reported to have signed for and avoid penalties.

Indians also sign Willy Castro and Junior Soto for a combined $1.45M

Yeah, expect the Cubs to make a few deals or one big one to get more pool money. IF the Cubs fail to get about $1M more they will be facing stiff limitations next yr. I just can't see the Cubs doing it...a huge pool again (probably $4.5M), but limitations to $500K or less signings won't work for the Cubs. The Cubs have several pieces they could move to get that money.

FWIW, Ben Badler of BA has speculated the Tribe will be one team willing to trade away IFA pool space allotments. The Tribe could trade away 3 pool allotments totaling $944,800. The Tribe would then be left with a total pool $2,692,100. The Tribe has already spent $1,450,000 on Castro & Soto, so they would be left with $1,242,100 to spend.

Personally, unless the Tribe turns pool allotments into controllable big league players, I'd rather see them spend all of it. It's likely the Tribe will have significantly less money next yr. So I think they need to seize the unique opportunity they have this yr. Like they did in FA.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:FWIW, Ben Badler of BA has speculated the Tribe will be one team willing to trade away IFA pool space allotments. The Tribe could trade away 3 pool allotments totaling $944,800. The Tribe would then be left with a total pool $2,692,100. The Tribe has already spent $1,450,000 on Castro & Soto, so they would be left with $1,242,100 to spend.

Personally, unless the Tribe turns pool allotments into controllable big league players, I'd rather see them spend all of it. It's likely the Tribe will have significantly less money next yr. So I think they need to seize the unique opportunity they have this yr. Like they did in FA.

The only guy on the Cubs that I'd be willing to part with pool money for is Garza, even though that would be a one-year rental. Reason being: Garza is a good enough starter that I wouldn't mind extending a qualifying offer for in the off-season. So while you'd lose out on a bit of pool money this year, you can turn it into a draft pick next year (and if he accepts that offer... then he basically takes up the money that we're paying Jimenez and Myers this year, and eliminates a big shopping need). He'd be a good short-term move, and you wouldn't be selling the future for him. Problem remains that we're not a good trading partner with the Cubs, and they'll want more than just the pool money.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Off the top of my head, I think the Tribe could use any of James Russell, Nate Schierholtz, Kevin Gregg, Carlos Villanueva and Edwin Jackson IF the Cubs paid him this yrs salary.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Edible14 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:04 am

homerawayfromhome wrote:Off the top of my head, I think the Tribe could use any of James Russell, Nate Schierholtz, Kevin Gregg, Carlos Villanueva and Edwin Jackson IF the Cubs paid him this yrs salary.

I don't really see how Gregg, Jackson or Villaneuva would help. Jimenez is having a better year than both Jackson and Villaneuva (and no thanks to paying either of those guys for the rest of their contract), and there's realistically nobody among our righties that Gregg would supplant. Schierholz is interesting, but he's the kind of guy we already have two of in the corner outfield spots, I don't see how he helps. James Russell would be a good option as a LOOGY, and he has some years of control left. I'm not sure I'd give up anything substantial for him, but he's intriguing. Not really sure he's the kind of guy they're looking to give up, either.
Edible14
Double-A Hot Shot

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors