RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

2013 Breakout Player Nominations

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

2013 Breakout Player Nominations

Postby GhostofTedCox » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:17 pm

What players will breakout this season and become a team statistical leader?

My nomination is Lonnie Chisenhall. Not a surprising choice as he has had a great spring so far.
But this could be sort of a perfect storm for Lonnie. He has a good blend of experience, talent, and opportunity.
While he will be the regular 3B, Francona will make sure he gets time off when needed. Also the fact that he won't bat 3-4 or 5 takes a little pressure off him. If he stays healthy, I believe he will be in the top 3 for HR and RBI on the team.

I also considered Santana as a breakout candidate. I think his experience and leadership in the WBC will prove valuable as he takes his game to the next level.

Any other nominations? Pitchers?
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: 2013 Breakout Player Nominations

Postby Prosecutor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Nice try, but I doubt anybody is going to nominate a pitcher. If Ubaldo makes it through the season with an ERA under 5.00 does that qualify as a "breakout" season?

OK, I'll bite. Hagadone. I think that incident last year knocked some sense into him and he's better able to control his emotions and his pitches.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby A.Zajac » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I'll vote Lonnie Chisenhall as well.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm going to say Michael Brantley. I just think he's ready to finally find his spot in the order, and just turn his excellent hitting mechanics into a solid year where his batting average soars. I can see him comfortably over .300 this season, and finally lock in and be the great contact guy that we've been waiting to see since we acquired him. This should be the year, IMHO.

Coming in a close second is Carlos Santana. I think he'll find a more comfortable spot in the batting order, and take and run with the solid second half he had last year. I can easily see him with a .280 25hr 100rbi type season..
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 am

danh8 wrote:I'm going to say Michael Brantley. I just think he's ready to finally find his spot in the order, and just turn his excellent hitting mechanics into a solid year where his batting average soars. I can see him comfortably over .300 this season, and finally lock in and be the great contact guy that we've been waiting to see since we acquired him. This should be the year, IMHO.

Coming in a close second is Carlos Santana. I think he'll find a more comfortable spot in the batting order, and take and run with the solid second half he had last year. I can easily see him with a .280 25hr 100rbi type season..

Michael Brantley is my runner up and was actually a guy who I mentioned as my first candidate for Wahoo's on First. Think he's going to have a huge year..
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:What players will breakout this season and become a team statistical leader?

My nomination is Lonnie Chisenhall. Not a surprising choice as he has had a great spring so far.
But this could be sort of a perfect storm for Lonnie. He has a good blend of experience, talent, and opportunity.
While he will be the regular 3B, Francona will make sure he gets time off when needed. Also the fact that he won't bat 3-4 or 5 takes a little pressure off him. If he stays healthy, I believe he will be in the top 3 for HR and RBI on the team.

I also considered Santana as a breakout candidate. I think his experience and leadership in the WBC will prove valuable as he takes his game to the next level.

Any other nominations? Pitchers?

Well this question is tough - simply because there are few players that I consider elligble for breakout status - and this question skews toward those that have less of sample size/base line. But throwing in the caveat of being a statistical leader adds another twist..
Considering a lack of ML playing time - if Chiz has a season that could be considered above average in almost any respect - he wins. Top 3-5 in HRs, RBI, SLG are certainly within his reach

Brantley - pretty damn good year last year.. To "breakout" he would have to be an all-star or really close to it. And thats totally possible - Santana is in this same boat - but he prolly has more ability and the room to pad those stats. Santana could end being a team leader or close to it in more statistical catagories than Brantley - but Brantley looks like he closer to "breaking out" than Santana

Kipnis is right there too. Last season it looked like he could go 25+HR/25+SB for a moment and be the best offensive player on team but he definitely faded, or did he?... How much better can he get, he is another guy who could end up on the all-star team this year, if he breaks out.

Pitching is a lot easier..... Starter you got McAllister, Bauer, Carrasco and I guess you could say Masterson but I don't think he qualifies really no matter how good his season is.

Relievers - tougher but who else besides Allen and Hagadone really qualify? Barnes does.

So I pick Santana... An uptick in Avg and power numbers this year propel him to team leader type numbers in HR's, RBI's OBP, SLG, OPS. I want to pick Brantley too though and Kipnis and.....

Pitcher, I pick McAllister - if he cuts down on his mistakes he could have decent stats across the board.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Although no longer in the Tribe organization, I'll take Hector Rondon for this category. Got a feeling we will rue the day he was lost...
Not sure what statistical category he will lead for the Cubs but there is a good chance on that pitching limited team Hector will break into top 3.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Santana. .280, 30HR/110RBI
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:12 am

So people think simply moving Santana from 4th to 6th in the order will result in a breakout season? I doubt it, but hope I'm wrong.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 am

Prosecutor wrote:So people think simply moving Santana from 4th to 6th in the order will result in a breakout season? I doubt it, but hope I'm wrong.

Again?

Carlos Santana gained a year of experience in 2012 and comes into the 2013 season off a stellar performance in the WBC. His confidence is high.. and so too should his BA/OBP/OPS. Having more fastballs to hit won't hurt, either..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am

Santana will turn 27 next week so if he doesn't "break out" this year he probably never will. He's a .247/.806 guy in about 1,200 major league at-bats; good but not great. Last year's numbers were right on his career norm so far. I'm not seeing an upward progression, and this year he'll be catching more and playing first base and DHing less, which won't help his hitting.

He had a strong second half last year, so if whatever adjustment he made after the All-Star break can be maintained, he could have a good year. Bill James showed that age 27 is the most common year for players to have career seasons. Hitting in the six hole with less pressure may help.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:06 am

Prosecutor wrote:Santana will turn 27 next week so if he doesn't "break out" this year he probably never will. He's a .247/.806 guy in about 1,200 major league at-bats; good but not great. Last year's numbers were right on his career norm so far. I'm not seeing an upward progression, and this year he'll be catching more and playing first base and DHing less, which won't help his hitting.

He had a strong second half last year, so if whatever adjustment he made after the All-Star break can be maintained, he could have a good year. Bill James showed that age 27 is the most common year for players to have career seasons. Hitting in the six hole with less pressure may help.

If the pitching staff improves, I'd mark that as the improvement I want to see from Santana. Moving down from 4 to 6 really takes the pressure off him offensively and maybe he won't take is frustrations behind the plate.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 am

Here's my breakout candidates:

Lonnie Chisenhall - I expect a big yr in terms of the jump in production. I'll predict...
.280 BA 22 hrs 28 dbls 90 RBI

Michael Brantley - Brantley is not really a breakout candidate as much as he reaffirms last yr, but grows on it.
.290 7hrs 30 dbls 18 sb

Bryan Shaw - Shaw, I think will eventually force his way into the pen. The Tribe will make a move at some point from the pen that opens a spot up for Shaw. 50g 55IP 70K 2.50 era.

Cody Allen - Allen has shown his wares already but firmly establishes himself in the pen.
60g 65IP 80 K 2.50 era
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm saying Chiz as well. Think he gets to 25 HRs.

Like Brantley's outlook this year too though. Great 2nd half last year.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 am

After his little temper tantrum and embarrassing injury, Nick Hagadone becomes the "go to" lefty the Bull Pen Mafia exploits throughout the year.. mid/upper 90's FB and command of two off speed pitches make Hags a force to be reckoned with...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

The guys we really need to have breakout seasons aren't even in the bigs. I'm talking about Bauer and Carrasco. They might be the two most important players in the org because they're the only ones that have shown realistic potential to be #1 starters. This will be a huge year for both and I'm predicting they'll both be in the rotation by the end of the season, replacing Myers and Kazmir or Ubaldo.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Prosecutor wrote:The guys we really need to have breakout seasons aren't even in the bigs. I'm talking about Bauer and Carrasco. They might be the two most important players in the org because they're the only ones that have shown realistic potential to be #1 starters. This will be a huge year for both and I'm predicting they'll both be in the rotation by the end of the season, replacing Myers and Kazmir or Ubaldo.

+1 or would that be +2?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby theshow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:40 pm

People are being optimistic on Chisenhall saying .280 and 25 home runs... If he does that that means he is essentially the same player as Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright... I hope you are right, but seems lofty to me

I like McCallister to just be a staple of the rotation, and do what the Tribe WANTS Brett Myers to do. I think ZMac wins 12-15 games, and has like a 3.80 ERA.

Conversely, my BUST guys are Kazmir gets DFA'd by June, Albers gets DFA'd, and Brett Myers ends up in the bullpen. Additionally, I think Ryan Raburn is sent down eventually, and Yan Gomes is called up.
theshow
Rookie Baller

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm

theshow wrote:People are being optimistic on Chisenhall saying .280 and 25 home runs... If he does that that means he is essentially the same player as Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright... I hope you are right, but seems lofty to me

I like McCallister to just be a staple of the rotation, and do what the Tribe WANTS Brett Myers to do. I think ZMac wins 12-15 games, and has like a 3.80 ERA.

Conversely, my BUST guys are Kazmir gets DFA'd by June, Albers gets DFA'd, and Brett Myers ends up in the bullpen. Additionally, I think Ryan Raburn is sent down eventually, and Yan Gomes is called up.

Essentially the same player...minus defense, OBP, speed, etc...

Aramis Ramirez and Edwin Encarnacion are really better examples of recent 3Bs with 25 HR and .280 ability IMO.

Think that's optimistic on McAllister but I do think its possible. More interested in how many innings he can give. Would be huge if he can get 30 plus starts and reach 200 innings.

Pretty pessimistic at the end. Not sure Raburn can be sent down? Francona really loves him too, though if he hits like last season he should be let go eventually.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GhostofTedCox » Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

After a month and a half, I'd say the Chisenhall picks aren't looking too good.

Among other names mentioned were Santana, Brantley, and McAllister.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Too early to pat myself on the back??.... :rolleyes
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Return to Beyond The Minors