RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Is Mark Reynolds a keeper?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Is Mark Reynolds a keeper?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 am

I know it's a long way from April to September.
I know that history shows he's a streaky hitter.

But, you've got to be happy with what Mark Reynolds has brought to the team so far. I'm sure he will level off. But it seems likely that he will wind up with at least 30 HR.
Imagine; a DH that can play 1B and even 3B in a pinch. So far, I can live with the K's. Seems to be a valuable piece going forward.

If memory serves, he is on a 1 year deal. If we wait till season's end, and he has a good year, there is no chance he would sign before he hits the FA market.

I'm not saying to open negotiations today. But at some point it should be considered. As for the team payroll; remember we won't have to pay Myers or Ubaldo next year. So another high contract could still level out.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Is Mark Reynolds a keeper?

Postby daingean » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:50 am

Heard Frank Wren talking on the radio and he said about K's.......used to be 20/30 years ago the high K rates of these players would have been a concern but the game has changed....

He also talked about several of his guys having a 1 in front of their numbers (.i.e. BA's less than .200) ..... Even with the Braves off to a hot start they have some guys struggling too....
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

Could be. Obviously we're all high on him cause his home runs are more than welcome. He's going to be like this all year, go on stretches where he carries the team through a few games, and then stretches where we hope he gets benched.

Fact remains is he is a presence in the lineup we haven't had since maybe before Hafner's decline. Also the fact that power is such a premium now. Yes there are teams that have a lot of it, Angels, Rangers etc. but anyone who can slug you anywhere from 25-40 home runs is going to draw interest on the open market.

For me, I would consider him a keeper, if only because Matt LaPorta amounted to very little. Also because we simply don't have a lot to drawl from in the minors.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby MadThinker88 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

I think the question of extending Mark also depends other questions. How as he, Lonnie Chiz and a few others performed for example. I wouldn't look to extend till around the All Star break and then I am looking at how the 1st half went in general.

Considering the track record for Mark (up one year, down the next, then back up) this will be a very important data point.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am

Reynolds is a guy I had hoped the Tribe would sign - I was hoping for a 2 yr deal with a team option or at least a 1 yr deal with an option. Obviously he didn't get it, I think 1. the Tribe sought to protect themselves in case he was falling off, 2. Reynolds wanted to hit the market again to re-establish value. Either way I think the Tribe should look to extend Reynolds around AS break... At least 1 yr and preferably an option yr. IF the Tribe is out of the running come late July and he is not re-signed Reynolds could net a solid return...not hoping for that, but it's the reality of the situation, he'd make a great power RH rental.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 am

The Indians desparately needed a couple of right-handed power bats to balance the lineup and Reynolds has been exactly what they needed. They have nobody in the minors that will be realy to take over that job next year if Reynolds leaves, so I would try to extend him. In fact, we don't have anybody in the minors at any level who projects to be a 30 HR guy and is a reasonably sure bet to make it to the Show.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby ChadS17 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm not a sabermetrics person, but I was recently looking at Reynolds's career numbers in comparison to Adam Dunn. Bottom line is Reynolds has hit 34 homeruns every 550 at-bats. Dunn has hit 38 homeruns every 550 at-bats. IMO their value is exclusively from the homerun ball. Dunn walks more than Reynolds and Reynolds strikes out slightly more than Dunn does. Look at the average season from both based on 550 ABs. Dunn got the same contract we gave Swisher, Reynolds got 6 million.

Dunn .238 38 HR 95 RBI
Reynolds .236 34 HR 94 RBI

In this organization, Santana is the only player that can realistically dream of hitting 34 HRs in a year. I'm not trying to say they are equal in value. If nothing else, I'm saying Dunn is overrated and Reynolds is underrated. Long story short, Reynolds is a keeper. Lock him up.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I think this is the reality of the game financially for the Tribe, Reynolds has his worts for sure but he is valuable piece. Reynolds holds more value for the Tribe than other teams who can afford more 'complete' players iMHO. As I suggested earlier they should watch him through the AS break and then reconsider extending him...I think the money will be there it's just a question of how long and at what price. If they don't get something worked out I think it's reasonable that they could net a nice piece or two in return at the trade deadline assuming that they are out of contention.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:43 am

There's a decent chance the Indians won't be out of contention. The AL Central is extremely weak so far. The Royals are in first place with a W-L record that is 6th out of 15 teams (10-7). The whole division looks like a sea of mediocrity, although I expect the Tigers will get going eventually like they did last year.

However, it will be interesting if the starting pitching implodes and the Tigers get on a roll in May and June and run away with it. Let's say we're out of contention and Reynolds is having a career season. In that case you have to move him, especially if you can get a good starting pitcher prospect in return. It would be like when we traded Austin Kearns for McAlister, or Mark DeRosa for Rage. Both Kearns and DeRo had strong first halves and we took advantage of that to add important pieces to the pitching staff.

If Reynolds keeps this up we should be able to get more than we got for Kearns and DeRo.

We can always sign Reynolds again next off-season if we're willing to ante up.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 pm

What a blast tonight. Good Greif !

At the very least, Reynolds should make the All Star Game Home Run Derby. (If not the game itself.)

Who was the last Indian in the Home Run Derby? Thome?
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 am

GhostofTedCox wrote:What a blast tonight. Good Greif !

At the very least, Reynolds should make the All Star Game Home Run Derby. (If not the game itself.)

I would think that "...at the very least.." Mark Reynolds, with his superb start to the 2013 season, has raised his value as a trade chip for the Indians going into the second quarter of the season.. While there is no reason to consider moving / trading him, the value is there. He could be the guy the Indians move to bring that young FOR SP prospect to our Wigwam..

Now, after I've stated the above..I HATE THE IDEA.. but know the reality..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:51 am

I love the way Reynolds flipped the bat, took a step, stopped and spit on the ground, then eyeballed Parker as he started his home run trot. Now that's what I call payback. It got the guys in the dugout jacked up. Swisher was flipping out. They all kept looking up at the left field bleachers even after Reynolds got back to the dugout. Or maybe they were watching the replay.

A guy hitting a home run like that after nearly getting beaned makes a statement and fires up the whole team.

After the game Reynolds was talking about how he's not taking as many big swings as he did earlier in his career and is trying to put up more quality at-bats. It really shows in that he has driven in a lot of runs with singles up the middle on pitches down and away. He says there's no reason he can't have a better batting average than he's put up so far in his career. He feels he's still improving as a hitter.

His average is up, his strikeouts are down, and the power is still there. In fact, he's on a pace to hit over 50 HR's this year. He might be a guy they consider signing to a long term deal, especially given the lack of right-handed power hitters in the farm system. Reynolds can play 1st or 3rd base, so he's got some versatility, which is huge. We may have gotten him right when he's figuring it out and entering the most productive years of his career.

The same could be said for Drew Stubbs, but that remains to be seen. But the early returns are encouraging.

It will be extremely interesting if the Indians are out of contention at the trading deadline, Reynolds is still on track for 50 HR's, and multiple teams are offering quality pitching prospects for him.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:What a blast tonight. Good Greif !

Grady Sizemore in 2008 I believe. Whichever year Josh Hamilton hit his 900 batting practice home runs.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Reynolds with his 11th HR today....

It's definitely too early to make a decision on extending him IMO but gotta love the results. One out there idea is to not extend him but rather hold on to him all year, ride out this hot year, and offer him arbitration after the year. With how he has hit is a 1yr/$13M deal that crazy? Is on the high side but guys like Youk got near that, Lance Berkman got $10M from the Rangers plus a $12M option.

And if Reynolds declines....you have a shot at a first round pick....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu May 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Hermie13 wrote:Reynolds with his 11th HR today....

It's definitely too early to make a decision on extending him IMO but gotta love the results. One out there idea is to not extend him but rather hold on to him all year, ride out this hot year, and offer him arbitration after the year. With how he has hit is a 1yr/$13M deal that crazy? Is on the high side but guys like Youk got near that, Lance Berkman got $10M from the Rangers plus a $12M option.

And if Reynolds declines....you have a shot at a first round pick....

Mark Reynolds is 30 years old.. going to be 31 before the season is over.. it's his time to get the biggest and best contract he'll ever see for the rest of his life.. A one year deal at $ 13 MM?.. IDK about that.. but stranger things have happened. As a guess, it would seem unlikely he'd sign for anything less than a 4 year deal.. the dollar value should be in the Swisher or Bourn Range..

and if he declines the one year.. draft picks work.. if he's traded (like I hated above).. then that's better long term...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm

The way I see things the tribe will have to consider resigning Reynolds. That said if he finished with 30 hrs yeah I'd be disappointed after the way he started but that's what I think most educated Tribe fans would expect from day one.

If for some reason the Tribe is holding middle of the pack in the AL Central come July they will have to begin consider making some difficult moves RE: the future of several players...Masterson, ACab, Perez, Reynolds and Smith. I'll defer...

Right now though I'm more inclined to watch (when I can) and hope & pray they really make a run at the AL Central crown.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby indians1 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:46 pm

wAit and see how the year ends up before we talk about a long term deal. We don't need to make the same mistake we did on hafner when we had data to show he was on a decline.

If at the end of the season he is still around .280 and leading the team in HR's, i think you have to consider a long term deal. Reynolds seems to be a guy that has an OBP at least .80 points higher than his BA. A guy that could have an OPS around .850-.900 this year would be huge for contending this year.

Reynolds and Santana are the only 2 guys that teams fear when they come up to the plate. We have other good players but i don't think they strike fear like reynolds and santana. With absolutely nothing in the minors except for Lindor, to keep this team competing, they might have to overpay some for him.

It sucks, but that is the consequence of having a lousy farm system.
indians1
Draft Prospect

Postby TonyIBI » Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm

I think Reynolds is a keeper.....but he won't come cheap. Especially if the Indians try to lock him up right now. The Indians would probably have to significantly overpay for him to sign now and not test free agency at this point. Adam Dunn signed a few years ago with the White Sox for 4 years and $56 million, and that's kind of the area I think Reynolds is looking at right now. Obviously he is not as accomplished as Dunn was as a free agent, but he is also a little younger, can play better defense, has some versatility, and teams covet right-handed power and will overpay for it.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

The good out of this is that the Tribe could trade him if they are out of the playoff chase come late July, and if they hold him they could offer him the 1 yr deal and get a draft pick if he doesnt accept it. I'd like to see him extended as well as Masterson. The Tribe will be in a hard spot come July if they are treading water...do they hold on to a number of these guys or simply move them. Like Msterson, ACab and Perez and FA to be like Reynolds, Jimenez, Myers, Smith, Albers, Kazmir and maybe Marson too (I think he's traded or not offered a deal this winter - but that's way ahead).
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Fri May 10, 2013 7:31 pm

IMO, it's a tiny bit early to start talking about an extension for Reynolds. If he keeps it up and ends the season well, I put all I can into re-signing him. That said, I think he'll want a 3 or 4 year deal worth $55-60 million. I'd give it to him, though.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 am

Reynolds has changed his hitting approach. Last night was just the latest example. He got down in the count with two strikes on him, so he shortened his swing and punched a breaking ball into left field for the game-winning hit with two outs in the 10th.

This is just a continuation of what he was doing in the second half of last season with the Orioles.

He's matured as a hitter. He's hitting up the middle and to the opposite field when the situation dictates. He had an opposite field double and home run in the same game last week. He's not Shelley Duncan on a hot streak.

I'm not that high on first round draft picks unless it's a top five pick. The names Jeremy Sowers, Beau Mills, Alex White, Trevor Crowe, and Lonnie Chisenhall come to mind. Even Pomeranz hasn't justified his top five selection - yet. He's still in AAA at age 24. Lindor seems like the only recent first round pick who has not disappointed, although the jury is still out on Nyquin.

We have nobody in the farm system with that kind of right-handed power and also the ability to get the run home with a base hit when necessary. Chisenhall is blowing yet another opportunity to lock down the third base job. We have no third basemen in the system that have shown the potential to hit at the level required of a major league corner infielder.

Pay the man.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 am

Reynolds has been the most pleasant of surprises for the Indians during the start of the 2013 season. He's well liked, he's a team leader.. he's versatile and he's been successful at the plate and in the field. The indication that he was a butcher at third base appears to be, excuse the pun, the same errors found in the defensive matrices that has Asdrubal being a poor defensive player.. (The Indians need six more poor defenders just like Mark and Droobs..queue Hermie to talk about range factor and UZR150..)

Now, the question becomes.. can Reynolds sustain his start throughout the season?. If he does or doesn't, will that matter with respect to extending him? The two schools of thought offered on this subject include.. why mess with what's working. Let the season play out and have substantial extension talks AFTER the season.There is no reason to create a "change" during the season as the BASEBALL GODS get upset with that.. The second school of thought is captured in the answer to the question: Who benefits from an extension?. The player?, obviously gets security, but at the risk of a MUCH higher pay day once he hits free agency.. The team? will, perhaps, get a discount as opposed to competing financially with 29 other clubs for this player's services.. Does this represent a "win, win" or does it represent a change to the karma that is permitting this player with a history of returning to his more normal production?.

The answer is IDK.. either..but it's an interesting topic, none the less..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 am

If the Indians could get Reynolds on a deal similar to Michael Bourn's I think it would solid. It's early and I get that, but they need to engage Reynolds in discussions before its deep into summer and the opportunity to extend him is gone. Who knows, he may be determined to test the market but I think 4 yrs / $48 M might get him signed long-term.

I've suggested if they fall out of the AL Central competition they could use him as a valuable trade chip. I get the feeling they'll remain competitive based on what I've seen so far. Personally, I'd prefer to see the Tribe lock him up regardless. He's a guy I've always liked and I think the Tribe were fortunate to net Reynolds at the right time, coming off a subpar yr due to some lingering injury issues.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby Prosecutor » Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am

I found this at mlbtraderumors.com, dated 12/14/2012:

Cleveland bowed out of the Youkilis chase on Sunday when they inked Mark Reynolds to a one-year contract worth $6MM. Prior to that, the Tribe reportedly offered Youkilis a two-year deal worth approximately $18MM.

Sometimes you just have to be lucky. Youkilis was the Tribe's #1 off-season target to fill the right-handed power hitter hole, but Youk wanted to play for a team that had a chance to win the World Series, so he narrowed his choices to the Yankees and Red Sox. So the Indians went to Plan B and signed Reynolds for $6 million.

Youkilis is on the DL after driving in 7 runs in 17 games.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby criznit2009 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am

Prosecutor wrote:I found this at mlbtraderumors.com, dated 12/14/2012:

Cleveland bowed out of the Youkilis chase on Sunday when they inked Mark Reynolds to a one-year contract worth $6MM. Prior to that, the Tribe reportedly offered Youkilis a two-year deal worth approximately $18MM.

Sometimes you just have to be lucky. Youkilis was the Tribe's #1 off-season target to fill the right-handed power hitter hole, but Youk wanted to play for a team that had a chance to win the World Series, so he narrowed his choices to the Yankees and Red Sox. So the Indians went to Plan B and signed Reynolds for $6 million.

Youkilis is on the DL after driving in 7 runs in 17 games.

One cost us 1 million dollars more than we gave Grady in 2012.. I think it is safe to say this has been money well spent so far. :biggrin
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ChadS17 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Anyone have a different opinion now? :cry
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 pm

ChadS17 wrote:Anyone have a different opinion now? :cry

The question now is should Reynolds be simply released? We have Aviles and Rayburn on the bench while Reynolds is a simple black hole. Is there any question why Baltimore let him go?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I'd try to trade him. Never know, someone might offer a decent prospect hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. Considering the pop he has when he is on, and his relatively low cost...I think someone would bite. At the very least the Tribe could reallocate the funds elsewhere.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby danh8 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:I know it's a long way from April to September.
I know that history shows he's a streaky hitter.

But, you've got to be happy with what Mark Reynolds has brought to the team so far. I'm sure he will level off. But it seems likely that he will wind up with at least 30 HR.
Imagine; a DH that can play 1B and even 3B in a pinch. So far, I can live with the K's. Seems to be a valuable piece going forward.

If memory serves, he is on a 1 year deal. If we wait till season's end, and he has a good year, there is no chance he would sign before he hits the FA market.

I'm not saying to open negotiations today. But at some point it should be considered. As for the team payroll; remember we won't have to pay Myers or Ubaldo next year. So another high contract could still level out.

I think the resounding answer to the question posed in this thread is ..NO. It's now easy to see why Baltimore fans weren't wallowing in sorrow over the loss of Mr. Reynolds ..He should face lefties...and when he starts should be batting no higher than the eight hole, preferably ninth.
danh8
Rookie Baller

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 am

His OPS right now is .682 which is about 100 points below his career average. You'd expect him to have a better second half. He's a streaky hitter who should be about due to emerge from a long slump. He's 29 years old so there's no reason for him to be in decline. Since his trade value is probably minimal there's nothing to do but stick with him and hope he gets going again. Remember, he had nine HR's for Baltimore during their playoff drive in September.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GhostofTedCox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:23 pm

It doesn't look like there is any help coming on the trade front. So unless we bring up Jesus Aguilar, Reynolds will be the man.

He caught fire this time last year and led the O's to the playoffs.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Return to Beyond The Minors