RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Official 2013 Cleveland Indians game thread

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:54 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:if ACab and Lindor keep up their current pace this year im not going to be shocked if we trade ACab and use aviles for a month or 2 then pull Lindor to the bigs or even throw him in the fire right away, his D is MLB Ready right now and im sure he would hit over .240 or whatever Cabrera is at now

Completely agree with you and I think there's a good chance this could happen. I could see Lindor up in Cleveland by late May/early June IF all goes to plan next year.

Here's my thing with Cabrera.. I feel as if we kind of missed the boat with trading him before the deadline. At the same time, selling off a two-time All Star while your team is in contention is a tough sell, so the Indians were in a tough spot there. IMO, I would trade Cabrera in the off-season rather than the trading deadline next year. I think you'd get more value. Side note.. you can't ride Cabrera all next season... at least, I hope not.

In regards to tonight's game.. Asdrubal has a lot to blame for the way things went tonight, but I won't go as far to say he was the major reason. Asdrubal's head wasn't in the game tonight and easily cost Ubaldo probably 20-30 more pitches. That being said, Ubaldo just didn't have it tonight. His command was all over the place.

I guess we have to lose sometime and there's no shame in losing against Fernandez.. said it before the game that he's a stud. I hate saying tomorrow is a must win, but it kind of is. The pitching will be tough again tomorrow so hopefully they bring their bats to the ballpark tomorrow.

I'm not sure they missed it with ACab. The only rumors I heard were STL offering Carlos Martinez straight up for ACab. Martinez is very similar in talent and size to Danny Salazar albeit a few yrs younger. Unless the Tribe had made a parallel move to bring back a recognizable name, it would have looked like they were selling ACab off to the average fan. Furthermore, I think they didn't want to mess up the chemistry of the team either. I think they could still get a solid return this offseason...in fact I expect they will move ACab for a young controllable SP and maybe a prospect or two.

I completely agree, the game wasn't entirely on ACab. Jimenez was simply bad, he was all over the place with only 64 strikes in 107 pitches. Even with ACab and Jimenez being awful, it would have been hard to win with Fernandez pitching like he was.

Where did that rumor come from? I have a hard time believing St Louis offered anything let alone Martinez.

That's a few weeks old. I don't recall the original source of that rumor. I'm sure I wasn't the only one on here to hear or see that. Btw, there were also rumors they called the ChiSox offering Martinez and a cpl prospects for Alexei Ramirez. I don't recall the source of that rumor either...Just curious, did you hear about that? I read and discuss with innumerable people, and I don't make it a habit to repeat the source unless I intend to cite it. As I said it was a rumor (not wild speculation), from a legit website but recall which one. Can I say without a shadow of a doubt the discussion ever really happened, "no." And that's the reason I said it was a rumor. :rolleyes However, I will say it is a fact the Indians and Cards did have discussions prior to the trade deadline. :eek Btw, You'd have a hard time convincing me the Cardinals have (or had) no interest. I think you missed the point of the response entirely... there will be a market for ACab IF and when the Tribe decides to move him.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:
GoTribe028 wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:if ACab and Lindor keep up their current pace this year im not going to be shocked if we trade ACab and use aviles for a month or 2 then pull Lindor to the bigs or even throw him in the fire right away, his D is MLB Ready right now and im sure he would hit over .240 or whatever Cabrera is at now

Completely agree with you and I think there's a good chance this could happen. I could see Lindor up in Cleveland by late May/early June IF all goes to plan next year.

Here's my thing with Cabrera.. I feel as if we kind of missed the boat with trading him before the deadline. At the same time, selling off a two-time All Star while your team is in contention is a tough sell, so the Indians were in a tough spot there. IMO, I would trade Cabrera in the off-season rather than the trading deadline next year. I think you'd get more value. Side note.. you can't ride Cabrera all next season... at least, I hope not.

In regards to tonight's game.. Asdrubal has a lot to blame for the way things went tonight, but I won't go as far to say he was the major reason. Asdrubal's head wasn't in the game tonight and easily cost Ubaldo probably 20-30 more pitches. That being said, Ubaldo just didn't have it tonight. His command was all over the place.

I guess we have to lose sometime and there's no shame in losing against Fernandez.. said it before the game that he's a stud. I hate saying tomorrow is a must win, but it kind of is. The pitching will be tough again tomorrow so hopefully they bring their bats to the ballpark tomorrow.

I'm not sure they missed it with ACab. The only rumors I heard were STL offering Carlos Martinez straight up for ACab. Martinez is very similar in talent and size to Danny Salazar albeit a few yrs younger. Unless the Tribe had made a parallel move to bring back a recognizable name, it would have looked like they were selling ACab off to the average fan. Furthermore, I think they didn't want to mess up the chemistry of the team either. I think they could still get a solid return this offseason...in fact I expect they will move ACab for a young controllable SP and maybe a prospect or two.

I completely agree, the game wasn't entirely on ACab. Jimenez was simply bad, he was all over the place with only 64 strikes in 107 pitches. Even with ACab and Jimenez being awful, it would have been hard to win with Fernandez pitching like he was.

Where did that rumor come from? I have a hard time believing St Louis offered anything let alone Martinez.

That's a few weeks old. I don't recall the original source of that rumor. I'm sure I wasn't the only one on here to hear or see that. Btw, there were also rumors they called the ChiSox offering Martinez and a cpl prospects for Alexei Ramirez. I don't recall the source of that rumor either...Just curious, did you hear about that? I read and discuss with innumerable people, and I don't make it a habit to repeat the source unless I intend to cite it. As I said it was a rumor (not wild speculation), from a legit website but recall which one. Can I say without a shadow of a doubt the discussion ever really happened, "no." And that's the reason I said it was a rumor. :rolleyes However, I will say it is a fact the Indians and Cards did have discussions prior to the trade deadline. :eek Btw, You'd have a hard time convincing me the Cardinals have (or had) no interest. I think you missed the point of the response entirely... there will be a market for ACab IF and when the Tribe decides to move him.

I read multiple times that the Cardinals had labeled all of Miller, Rosenthal, and Wacha untouchable at the deadline this year. I'm sure most writers came to the conclusion that they would be willing to deal Martinez considering he was not labeled untouchable, thus his name being swirled around in some of the rumors. From what I've read, he is still capable of being the best of that bunch. I would be more than happy if we landed him for one year of ACab during the offseason. Sign Masterson long term, and all of a sudden we have the potential to have a very solid rotation for the next half decade with ZMaC, Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Salazar, Martinez along with Anderson, Morimando, and whatever other pitchers start to ascend through the minors.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 pm

At circa 100 pitches McAllister was obviously losing it. He was allowed to prove it. His pitches got high and wide. After weeks on the DL - it is no wonder his endurance would be limited.

More Grrrrrggggghhhhh!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Thrilling ending!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby ASUTribefan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 pm

9-1 last 10.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:51 pm

ahhh.. the drama of the ninth inning with CP Rage and the Aviles fakeout...

No idea what Aviles was doing with that ball.. none.. not a clue..fake to second?.. bad grip on the ball?.. get one out, any out???? Made little sense..

Z-Mac had a much better assortment of pitches & had much less endurance that usual.. TIme for those hours on the treadmill and bike to kick in.. Callaway handled this staff perhaps as well as he could have.. hats of to him..

Kipnis.. low bridge scorched single and two runs.. phew!!.. clutch !

Onto the rubber game of the series tomorrow..Nathan Eovaldi, former LA Dodger farm hand will be up against Kazmir.. Our Wahoo's need to score early and often..take the series and head back to the Motor City for a showdown with the tigers...Porcello, Sanchez Verlander should be who the Tigers send to the hill...perhaps in that order.. Anyway, they are the likely match ups...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Very interesting post on Indians.com tonight...

The Indians will have right-handers Corey Kluber (Monday) and Justin Masterson (Tuesday) start the first two games of the four-game series against the Tigers. Francona said he needed to go over some things with Antonetti before announcing the probable starters for Wednesday and Thursday.

If Cleveland's rotation stayed intact, Ubaldo Jimenez and Zach McAllister would be lined up for the last two games of the set against Detroit. Francona indicated that the team would most likely have more information prior to Sunday's game in Miami.

"We're talking over a few different things, and obviously one impacts another and things like that," Francona said Saturday. "We'll get to it. Kluber is the first day, and Masty is the second day. From there, we're kind of contemplating a few things."

Could be something minor, but why delay announcing Ubaldo as Wednesday's starter? Not like they can skip him or anything because there are no off days. Also interesting that Salazar started last night and would be in line for that start.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 am

The Tigers have hammered Ubaldo this year to the tune of a 6.92 ERA. He was ineffective his last start in a 10-0 loss. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought up Salazar to start in his place. Let's see if that 1-hit performance against Toronto was a fluke. Especially since he's coming off a 5-inning no-hitter with Columbus.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 am

Prosecutor wrote:The Tigers have hammered Ubaldo this year to the tune of a 6.92 ERA. He was ineffective his last start in a 10-0 loss. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought up Salazar to start in his place. Let's see if that 1-hit performance against Toronto was a fluke. Especially since he's coming off a 5-inning no-hitter with Columbus.

yes. the combination of ineffectiveness and match up could open the door for a second Salazar start.. the big question then becomes: who loses their roster spot?.. Rich Hill?... Mark Reynolds?... someone else?.. not an easy choice..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:09 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:The Tigers have hammered Ubaldo this year to the tune of a 6.92 ERA. He was ineffective his last start in a 10-0 loss. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought up Salazar to start in his place. Let's see if that 1-hit performance against Toronto was a fluke. Especially since he's coming off a 5-inning no-hitter with Columbus.

yes. the combination of ineffectiveness and match up could open the door for a second Salazar start.. the big question then becomes: who loses their roster spot?.. Rich Hill?... Mark Reynolds?... someone else?.. not an easy choice..

Albers with Ubaldo going to the pen.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 am

Jimenez pushed back to Friday against Angels. Salazar Wednesday. Roster move Tuesday.

Still think Albers could go with Salazar being moved to the pen after the Wednesday start.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:41 am

ChadS17 wrote:Jimenez pushed back to Friday against Angels. Salazar Wednesday. Roster move Tuesday.

Still think Albers could go with Salazar being moved to the pen after the Wednesday start.

Albers is out of options and has had some effectiveness over the course of the year so moving him out means waivers. My guess is Bryan Shaw heads out as he has options remaining. Salazar starts and after the game heads out for a reliever to come back. Pestano not out 10 days at that point so either CC Lee or another CBus arm get the call. That guy heads out once Pestano is able to return....
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:27 pm

I think Blake Wood could be an option too, assuming the Tribe calls up Salazar and then sends him back down.

Does Salazar have enough innings left to finish in the yr rotation?
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby A.Zajac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:36 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Blake Wood could be an option too, assuming the Tribe calls up Salazar and then sends him back down.

Highly unlikely Salazar would be able to finish the year in OUR rotation. You could keep him in Columbus and send him out 5-6 innings per start and maybe skip a start here or there for him to finish out the year.. but almost positive he wouldn't be able to stick in our rotation through the season's end.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Glad you understood that fumbled thought...

That's kind of what I was thinking...and try to work him in the rotation during Sept.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 am

A.Zajac wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:I think Blake Wood could be an option too, assuming the Tribe calls up Salazar and then sends him back down.

Highly unlikely Salazar would be able to finish the year in OUR rotation. You could keep him in Columbus and send him out 5-6 innings per start and maybe skip a start here or there for him to finish out the year.. but almost positive he wouldn't be able to stick in our rotation through the season's end.

The thought process, according to the Plain Dull (and their track record is what it is).. is that Salazar's return to the Indians starting rotation will be very short. (the information was not presented as a quote directly from Tito, so, who knows where the information came from).. If that is the case, and there is some likelihood that it is, then the Indians may promote Salazar for the Wednesday start while demoting someone like Blake Wood. When the start is over, Blake Wood will have to remain in Columbus for 10 days, during which time, Vinnie P or Preston Guilmet may take his spot.. There are several other possible moves the Indians can make...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am

Welp, biggest series of the year tonight for the Tribe. gotta take at least a split or we're chasing the WC. IMO we are really 4-5 games back instead of 3 as Detroit has played 2 less games
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

Four or five what?... smh..

The attendance for tonight's game should be a telling sign of the "interest" being generated by our Wahoos. The upper twenties to low thirty thousand for a Monday game (no fireworks.. no bobbleheads... no T-Shirts/Replica Anything) would be a significant increase of the fannies in the seats. The last Monday game like this, against the CWSox.. the Indians had just under 15k fans in the stands.. Double would be nice.. The Indian fans that come to the park will get to hear a 'mixed' crowd as there will be several Detroit fans coming down to see the games.. FWIW, fans in the stands are fans in the stands.. It's no wonder the Detroit fans want to come to the north coast, have you been to De-Toilet recently?..

All kidding aside.. This four game series will go a long way in deciding who rules the roost as far as the AL Central division title is concerned. As of this writing, the Texas Rangers trail the Indians for the second wild card spot by a half game. The Orioles, lost two in a row to the Mariners to fall 1 & 1/2 back. If the wild card play in game is the only way for the Indians to play meaningful games in October, then that's better than the alternative Make no mistake, I'd much rather see the Indians watching that game, waiting to see who their opponent will be..

The Tigers come to the North Coast with a couple of issues. They should be without Jhonny P..who may be suspended by MLB. There may be other players that aren't known at this time who may be part of this MLB witch hunt.. we'll see.. It doesn't look like Miguel Cabrera will be on the field for these games.. and he didn't look like he could run much. He may be used in crucial situations where Smokey needs a clutch hit.. In the interim, the Tigers will spit ball together a left side of the infield.. starting with Iglesias.. When you look at Iglesias' numbers..you might say "...mighty impressive...", however, his for the last three weeks, covering 54 AB's, he's hitting a buck twenty nine with only one XBH. His BA has plummeted nearly 70 points and his OPS has dropped by over a hundred points. This is who will replace Jhonny P.. His defense makes up for some of his offensive deficiencies, but not that much..

Beautiful weather is forecast for tonight's game.. so, the series should get off to a rousing start.. at least we hope so...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:39 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

The thought process, according to the Plain Dull (and their track record is what it is).. is that Salazar's return to the Indians starting rotation will be very short. (the information was not presented as a quote directly from Tito, so, who knows where the information came from).. If that is the case, and there is some likelihood that it is, then the Indians may promote Salazar for the Wednesday start while demoting someone like Blake Wood. When the start is over, Blake Wood will have to remain in Columbus for 10 days, during which time, Vinnie P or Preston Guilmet may take his spot.. There are several other possible moves the Indians can make...

How do you demote Blake Wood when he's not on the roster?
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Should be playoff level intensity baseball the next few days. I hope the crowds turn out. Should be a good matchup with Anibal Sanchez and Corey Kluber bringing it to the mound.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:41 pm

homerawayfromhome wrote:Should be playoff level intensity baseball the next few days. I hope the crowds turn out. Should be a good matchup with Anibal Sanchez and Corey Kluber bringing it to the mound.

Which would be worse?. a half empty house and the Indians winning three of four.. or a packed house because of the proximity of tigers' fans with the Indians winning three of four? A noisy crowd would be nice.. too regardless of who they're screaming for..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:52 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
homerawayfromhome wrote:Should be playoff level intensity baseball the next few days. I hope the crowds turn out. Should be a good matchup with Anibal Sanchez and Corey Kluber bringing it to the mound.

Which would be worse?. a half empty house and the Indians winning three of four.. or a packed house because of the proximity of tigers' fans with the Indians winning three of four? A noisy crowd would be nice.. too regardless of who they're screaming for..

I don't care, earn a split, or even better win 3 of 4 and let the whiny fans stare at their TV. If they come to the games great, if not, they're missing out on important baseball win or lose.

Im excited, nervous, anxious, and optimistic about this series.

Interesting stat I saw on The Twitter today

@JBirdman27: #Indians record on Aug. 5, 2013: 62-49
Indians record on Aug. 5, 2007: 62-49
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Lights on the stadium already, think the FO and team is ready for the game to be started?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby homerawayfromhome » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:

Three of four would be nice...doesn't matter what the crowd looks like. Just like to see a lot of Tribe fans in attendance, during this big home stand.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby nubballguy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Honestly, as much as I want a sweep, I think he have to realistically hope for a split here. I just think Kluber is the underdog tonight vs. Sanchez (and I love Kluber). Masty gives us our best shot at a win. Salazar, it's a LOT to ask the kid to pull it off for us (though not impossible). That leaves ZMach to potentially pull out a win for us last chance. Could be as tough as 1-3, but as good as good as 3-1 if all breaks our way. That's the odds as I see it, though would be delighted to be wrong.
Starts with Kluber tonight.
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:27 pm

At best, the Indians need to take 3 of 4. At worst, we need to earn a split. We CANNOT go 1-3 or 0-4 this series. CAN'T.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby BrianM » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Four or five what?... smh..

The attendance for tonight's game should be a telling sign of the "interest" being generated by our Wahoos. The upper twenties to low thirty thousand for a Monday game (no fireworks.. no bobbleheads... no T-Shirts/Replica Anything) would be a significant increase of the fannies in the seats. The last Monday game like this, against the CWSox.. the Indians had just under 15k fans in the stands.. Double would be nice.. The Indian fans that come to the park will get to hear a 'mixed' crowd as there will be several Detroit fans coming down to see the games.. FWIW, fans in the stands are fans in the stands.. It's no wonder the Detroit fans want to come to the north coast, have you been to De-Toilet recently?..

All kidding aside.. This four game series will go a long way in deciding who rules the roost as far as the AL Central division title is concerned. As of this writing, the Texas Rangers trail the Indians for the second wild card spot by a half game. The Orioles, lost two in a row to the Mariners to fall 1 & 1/2 back. If the wild card play in game is the only way for the Indians to play meaningful games in October, then that's better than the alternative Make no mistake, I'd much rather see the Indians watching that game, waiting to see who their opponent will be..

The Tigers come to the North Coast with a couple of issues. They should be without Jhonny P..who may be suspended by MLB. There may be other players that aren't known at this time who may be part of this MLB witch hunt.. we'll see.. It doesn't look like Miguel Cabrera will be on the field for these games.. and he didn't look like he could run much. He may be used in crucial situations where Smokey needs a clutch hit.. In the interim, the Tigers will spit ball together a left side of the infield.. starting with Iglesias.. When you look at Iglesias' numbers..you might say "...mighty impressive...", however, his for the last three weeks, covering 54 AB's, he's hitting a buck twenty nine with only one XBH. His BA has plummeted nearly 70 points and his OPS has dropped by over a hundred points. This is who will replace Jhonny P.. His defense makes up for some of his offensive deficiencies, but not that much..

Beautiful weather is forecast for tonight's game.. so, the series should get off to a rousing start.. at least we hope so...

My buddy's company has season tickets and we tried to score some tickets for Thursdays game. His CEO uncle told him hes been getting calls the last 4 weeks about this series and he gad already given them away.

Your exactly right GSON. Tonight is a big night for fans to prove their worth. Would love to see a couple packed houses.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Kluber not looking so hot, control is awful
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:35 pm

37 pitches in 2 innings, 14 missing the plate. Defense has saved his ass so far (Brantleys play in the 1st inning and Bourns in the 2nd) now we need to score here
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Well.. Kluber didn't have his good command to start the game.. and it was shaky through the first few innings.. but he settled in.. and got into the 8th inning..Not a bad effort at all.. Joe Smith with tremendous 8th inning.. One more insurance run from the Tribe and CP Rage willbe on in the 9th to close it out...

Onto the inning..and drama w/ CP Rage.. hmm..here is the play by play....

-Lead off double puts the tying run at the plate.. nothing like making it easy..

-Vmart with an 0-2 count..and Fielder scores on the Vmart single..

-So, one on.. no one out. one in and the lead is now one run..pinch runner as VMart is the slowest runner in the world

-Andy Dirks.. with a mighty swing and foul.. 1-1 count.. runner at first.. 2-1, count.. Crowd seems nervous.. How about a DP here?.. 3-1.. now it's time to come to papa.. must throw a strike.. there's ball four. .runners at first and second, no one out and Alex "I love hitting against the Indians" Avila at bat..

- Jam is still in place.. Three run homer..OUCH!>..

And they end the game with a wimper.. not a good start to this series.. not good at all...
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Bad managing Francona showed up tonight, this loss is on him and him alone. you do NOT pitch you're closer 4 days in a row and 6 in a week when he looked so tired yesterday in a game as important as this. Oh well he'll learn eventually
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:59 pm

next 3 are MUST wins or we will be as many as 7 back when you factor in detroit has 2 more games to play then we do and this team isn't good enough to make up for being 5 back let alone 7
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby Chiefroy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:Bad managing Francona showed up tonight, this loss is on him and him alone. you do NOT pitch you're closer 4 days in a row and 6 in a week when he looked so tired yesterday in a game as important as this. Oh well he'll learn eventually

3rd day in a row, not 4. and I think perez deserves at least a little of the blame....no?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_ ... hris-perez
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Chiefroy wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:Bad managing Francona showed up tonight, this loss is on him and him alone. you do NOT pitch you're closer 4 days in a row and 6 in a week when he looked so tired yesterday in a game as important as this. Oh well he'll learn eventually

3rd day in a row, not 4. and I think perez deserves at least a little of the blame....no?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_ ... hris-perez

Nope. you dont pitch a BP guy (3 days 4 days who cares the diffrence?) that often and over use him, thats how you lose ballgames like tonight.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm

If your closer can't pitch 3 days in a row for you, he's worthless.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:next 3 are MUST wins or we will be as many as 7 back when you factor in detroit has 2 more games to play then we do and this team isn't good enough to make up for being 5 back let alone 7

You need to explain your math. Even if Detroit wins those two games (no guarantee they will), those two games will account for one full game in the standings. You're assuming they will win both games and they are only worth a half game each.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:31 pm

ChadS17 wrote:If your closer can't pitch 3 days in a row for you, he's worthless.

:lol :lol :lol Wrong
if you're manager cant put you in a position to win like tonight by not using a tired pitcher he's worthless too
Last edited by ASUTribefan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:34 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:next 3 are MUST wins or we will be as many as 7 back when you factor in detroit has 2 more games to play then we do and this team isn't good enough to make up for being 5 back let alone 7

You need to explain your math. Even if Detroit wins those two games (no guarantee they will), those two games will account for one full game in the standings. You're assuming they will win both games and they are only worth a half game each.

ROTFLMAO
did you just try to say each game vs detroit is only a half game each? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol You should post less and go learn how baseball works. every game they play head to head counts towards a full game in the standings. you're just trolling at this point
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index. ... _standings

we were 3 games back before today and we are now 4 games back after ONE game.
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

ROTFLMAO
did you just try to say each game vs detroit is only a half game each? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol You should post less and go learn how baseball works. every game they play head to head counts towards a full game in the standings. you're just trolling at this point

No I was actually referring to the idiotic comment you made that I quoted regarding us being two additional games out because Detroit has played two less games. Now that you've embarrassed yourself, you go ahead and figure it out for yourself.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Chiefroy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 pm

ASUTribefan wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

C'mon, dude. You're embarrassing yourself. Tigers are 65-45(110 games) and we're 62-50(112). Two more wins by Tigers would even out the games played and make them 67-45. That's 5 more wins, 5 fewer losses than us. 5 games back. Those games count one half. :rolleyes
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Chiefroy wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

C'mon, dude. You're embarrassing yourself. Tigers are 65-45(110 games) and we're 62-50(112). Two more wins by Tigers would even out the games played and make them 67-45. That's 5 more wins, 5 fewer losses than us. 5 games back. Those games count one half. :rolleyes

Thank you. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby Chiefroy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 pm

This game is history, no need wondering what we should've done. It's safe to say Perez will be unavailable tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. I suppose Allen will get any save chance tomorrow, but he wasn't exactly inspiring tonight either. Masterson has had trouble with Detroit, so unless we hit Verlander, the point may be moot. Our bullpen has been a problem for most of the season and our one guy who had been rolling lately picked a bad time to falter.

Forget it and play 'em one at a time. If worse comes to worse and the Tigs sweep us, the last thing we can do is get down on ourselves. Winning the division would likely be out, but we'd still be in the wildcard race. The team can't focus too much on one game lost or one series lost. This is a good team and I think they'll play hard to the last out of the last game of the season. That's all I can ask for.
Chiefroy
Draft Prospect

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 pm

ChadS17 wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

No I was actually referring to the idiotic comment you made that I quoted regarding us being two additional games out because Detroit has played two less games. Now that you've embarrassed yourself, you go ahead and figure it out for yourself.

:lol :lol still dont understand how baseball works huh?
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ASUTribefan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:22 pm

Chiefroy wrote:
ASUTribefan wrote:
ChadS17 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

incorrect you count those games as FULL games, its been that way since baseball was created
ASUTribefan
Rookie Baller

Postby ChadS17 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Since there isn't an active Biogenesis conversation going, I'll put this here. Anybody think Nelson Cruz' value as a free agent will be hurt as a result of this? Hard to imagine Texas letting him go, but San Francisco set the precedent last year by not welcoming Melky back even as an offensively challenged team. The Rangers seem to have trouble keeping free agents as it is (Hamilton, Wilson, Napoli). Seems like he could be a valuable free agent with a lower price that would fit well in our lineup.
ChadS17
Rookie Baller

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46 am

Here's my take on the Perez situation.. generally speaking, pitching your closer three straight days isn't always the best idea BUT.. he worked pretty effortlessly the night before and didn't throw a whole lot of pitches, so to me, three days in a row here wasn't a huge deal.. Perez just flat out didn't have it tonight. Put it this way, Cody Allen didn't exactly light the world on fire either tonight.

Nevertheless, you have to give Perez tomorrow off and possibly the day after that, so bullpen needs to step up. Tomorrow is a MUST WIN. Tomorrow is a new day, so.. here's to hoping the sting of this loss doesn't have any lasting effects.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby Bearcatbob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 am

A.Zajac wrote:Here's my take on the Perez situation.. generally speaking, pitching your closer three straight days isn't always the best idea BUT.. he worked pretty effortlessly the night before and didn't throw a whole lot of pitches, so to me, three days in a row here wasn't a huge deal.. Perez just flat out didn't have it tonight. Put it this way, Cody Allen didn't exactly light the world on fire either tonight.

Nevertheless, you have to give Perez tomorrow off and possibly the day after that, so bullpen needs to step up. Tomorrow is a MUST WIN. Tomorrow is a new day, so.. here's to hoping the sting of this loss doesn't have any lasting effects.

This situation is where not having the old Vinnie around really hurts. Who now is the closer?
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby daingean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am

Bearcatbob wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Here's my take on the Perez situation.. generally speaking, pitching your closer three straight days isn't always the best idea BUT.. he worked pretty effortlessly the night before and didn't throw a whole lot of pitches, so to me, three days in a row here wasn't a huge deal.. Perez just flat out didn't have it tonight. Put it this way, Cody Allen didn't exactly light the world on fire either tonight.

This situation is where not having the old Vinnie around really hurts. Who now is the closer?

With Salazar pitching tomorrow (pitch limit) this really puts the BP in a precarious situation.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 am

Musings on a sad morning.. thinking about the ninth inning meltdown and loss by the Tribe...

-The Perez Meltdown.. The boo's were pretty bad... This game had a 2008 feel to it..you recall..the Indians would have a decent game going until the pen was summoned only to see Jensen Lewis or Joe Borowski or someone come into the game and throw a big bucket of gas on the fire they'd created.. Just a bad memory.. The best part of baseball, today is a new game.. Last night's debacle is ancient history.. Perhaps Chris Perez will get the day off because the Indians' bats went on the warpath?????

-Defense on the night.. Jason Kipnis..wow, tremendous defensive plays all night. He had at least three web-gem level plays... Same thing with Bourn-ey and Dr Smoooove.. IDK what the Stubber was doing on that liner directly at him.. His first instinct was to back up? The play worked out for the tribe (nailing Santiago straying off second base).. but, the way it was played by Stubbs was pretty bad..

-Big G & Dr Smooove... the Clutch Brothers.. more is needed.. from more than just them.. 2 runs?. Two runs will win a MLB game approximately 17% of the time or one game in six. Five or more runs are needed against these guys. Ragin Raburn to the Rescue?..

-Justin Time.. The only question remaining.. will the ACE of the Staff stand up and shut down the opponent & will that opponent have an old English D on their breast of their uniform?. If ever the Indians needed length and quality from a starter (like Corey Kluber gave last evening), tonight's the night..

Hanging in there.. knowing that it's "just another game".. but, oohh.. this one hurt...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am

Nevermind how Perez pitched in the 9th, it was pathetic enough on its own. If reports are true that he left without showering and refusing to talk to teammates and media alike then quite frankly I don't understand how anyone can support him anymore.

I get that he's pitched well of late and for that I'm happy he's doing for the Indians rather than against them, but last night he needed to step up the same way people are saying Masterson has too, and he didn't. He belly flopped like no other.

On the plus side, from the looks of things, the team was ready. Played great defense, and got to Sanchez as best they could for Kluber. And because of Perez, the Cleveland morning radio scene is thrilled to have something to talk about today.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors