RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

ST Games Thread

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: ST Games Thread

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
daingean wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Zmac's effort = $$.. Nice way to start his Spring..

Sad news about Curtis Granderson.. boo hoo...

Carlos did struggle out of the gate.. but Scott Kazmir picked him up.. maybe Tito's enthusiasm was warranted.. lot of baseball yet to be played this spring..

Raburn <== is NOT more than likely to anything....

Rich Hill extricated himself from a jam.. good for that.. not so good for creating the jam (two walks)..

It's pretty obvious Raburn has been a favorite to win a job out of ST and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Players who sign Minor league contracts are not favorites to win anything.. if you believe that, you're deluding yourself... & that's the only thing that's obvious...

So enlighten me who on the roster was a favorite ahead of Raburn? I mean seriously.

Carrera is out of options and is better then putting a utillity guy like Aviles or Raburn in the OF

Right, but Raburn isn't just strictly an OF guy. He can play in the INF too and his versatility is what makes him valuable. I mean at one point, there was some thought Carrera could get DFA for an incoming FA/trade to make room on the roster.

I think it's too early to award anyone a roster spot. Raburn has certainly taken a lead but the first few weeks of ST guys often face NRI and pitchers destined for AA or AAA. Raburn's versatility vs. Carrera's speed but I see that both could make the roster especially if Gomes is sent down and Giambi doesn't cut it. I for one would like to have Carrera's speed on the bench as that could squeeze a 1-5 extra wins.

Serious candidates for the last one or two spots on the 25 man roster.. at this stage of spring training, roster construction is all that can be used to determine the make up:

Catchers: 2 and possibly three: Carlos Santana, Lou Marson, (Yan Gomes)
c-Infielders: 3 and possibly four: Lonnie Chisenhall, Nick Swisher, Mark Reynolds (Mcdade, McGuiness, Aguilar)
m-Infielders: 3 and possibly four: Asdrubal Cabrera, Jason Kipnis, Mike Aviles (Cord Phelps, Ryan Raburn, Juan Diaz)
Outfielders: 3 and possibly four: Michael Brantley, Michael Bourn, Drew Stubbs (Carrera, Francisco, Fedroff)
DH: possibly 1: (Jason Giambi)

The roster consists of 13 position players. Eleven spots are virtual locks (assuming health and trades). The two remaining spots appear to be one outfielder and one infielder. GUESSING (as right now is ALL that can be done) my choices would be Zeke Carrera and Jason Giambi taking the last two spots but I could see the last spot going to Cord Phelps, Ryan Raburn and or Ben Francisco. Three weeks from now.. that can change..

Guessing is all that can be done at this point.. I'd also guess that Ben Francisco could be of minor interest to the NYY's after losing Curtis Granderson. This is the kind of trade that might include a low level A player the Indians like (and conversely, the Yankees dislike) or cash considerations. Not really much more than that..

I would think it's safe to assume that Marson and Aviles are on the bench. After that I would say Carrera is a safe bet to make it as well.

I don't think Chris McGuinness has a shot, who knows if he's offered back to Texas or just "acquired" so he can be optioned out? I think the odds are against him as I can see one of the NRI between Raburn or Giambi making it.

Could definetly see one or two of those "player A traded for PTBNL or cash" deals. Most likely as the team allowing the Ben Fransisco types to go to a team that shows a little interest.
Follow me on Twitter @GoTribe028 for useless and random tweets.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 am

A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Carlos did struggle out of the gate.. but Scott Kazmir picked him up.. maybe Tito's enthusiasm was warranted.. lot of baseball yet to be played this spring..

Rich Hill extricated himself from a jam.. good for that.. not so good for creating the jam (two walks)..

It's pretty obvious Raburn has been a favorite to win a job out of ST and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Players who sign Minor league contracts are not favorites to win anything.. if you believe that, you're deluding yourself... & that's the only thing that's obvious...

So enlighten me who on the roster was a favorite ahead of Raburn? I mean seriously.

Carrera is out of options and is better then putting a utillity guy like Aviles or Raburn in the OF

Right, but Raburn isn't just strictly an OF guy. He can play in the INF too and his versatility is what makes him valuable. I mean at one point, there was some thought Carrera could get DFA for an incoming FA/trade to make room on the roster.

My Point-
Your Head-

Carrera fits better then Raburn because he's a legit 4th OF while Raburn is a utillity guy which we already have 1 in Aviles, dont need 2
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GoTribe028 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Carrera is- out of options and is better then putting a utillity guy like Aviles or Raburn in the OF

My Point-
Your Head-

Carrera fits better then Raburn because he's a legit 4th OF while Raburn is a utillity guy which we already have 1 in Aviles, dont need 2

What do you need a "legit 4th OF" for when you have 4 outfielders already on the roster in Swisher, Bourn, Brantley, and Stubbs? The way the roster is constructed the Indians can put any combination of players in the OF. So really the idea about Carrera being the better fit isn't as relevant as the fact that he's on the roster over someone like Raburn. Even that won't mean much if the Indians feel someone else helps the team more than Carrera can.

Is there even a difference in a 4th OF and a utility player? Neither is good enough to start and their value comes from their ability to play multiple positions on the field.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

Carrera is- out of options and is better then putting a utillity guy like Aviles or Raburn in the OF

My Point-
Your Head-

What do you need a "legit 4th OF" for when you have 4 outfielders already on the roster in Swisher, Bourn, Brantley, and Stubbs? The way the roster is constructed the Indians can put any combination of players in the OF. So really the idea about Carrera being the better fit isn't as relevant as the fact that he's on the roster over someone like Raburn. Even that won't mean much if the Indians feel someone else helps the team more than Carrera can.

Is there even a difference in a 4th OF and a utility player? Neither is good enough to start and their value comes from their ability to play multiple positions on the field.

Because Swisher isn't playing OF, there that was pretty simple answer. He was even told when he signed here he was signed to play 1B not OF. and yes theres a huge diffrence between a 4th OF and a utility player, one plays the OF the other one isn't a good enough to play any single position hence "utility"
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Here's how I tend to view the roster (bench) right now.. in terms of non-pitchers:

Lou Marson a lock to be the backup catcher.
Mike Aviles a lock to be used in utility role.
Yan Gomes will be sent to AAA so he can play every day. We could see him called up mid-season, but at least initially, think he's sent to AAA.
Juan Diaz sent to AAA.
Chris McGuiness and Mike McDade long shots to make the Opening Day roster.
Eze Carrera will make the Opening Day roster.
Ryan Raburn or Jason Giambi will be awarded the other spot on the roster. I tend to believe Raburn will win over Giambi, but Francona has mentioned a lot of positives about Giambi.
Tim Fedroff will be sent to AAA.
Ben Francisco and Jeremy Hermida also will be sent to AAA.

By the way, SwisherBuck.. Francona has mentioned already Swisher will see sometime in the OF. Not every day, but Swisher won't simply be a first baseman and that's it.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 pm

My biggest issue with Raburn making the squad out of Spring Training is his past history... Over the last three years.. Raburn has just lit it up in Spring Training.. He was Ty Cobb reincarnate.. Nothing he did said anything but this guy is a star!!.. Then the regular season started.. and he turned into a Hermie.. All bluff and bluster and no substance.. His .171 BA made Luis Valmalo look like a slugger..

Perhaps the change in scenery might help him.. but the Tigers decided.. this guy aint worth it.. and let him go.. If that isn't a pretty good indication (the tigers middle infield is perhaps their weakest part of their entire team.. and perhaps the weakest in all of MLB), then you're not paying attention..

Can Tito & Cash find the magic that allows Raburn to bring his Spring Training game to the show?.. or should spring training be one of two hurdles that keeps Raburn in the Indians system where he'll be given the 'first' shot for a middle infield spot if a need arises. The second hurdle being that he'll have to prove that he can accomplish what he's accomplishing in spring training in the regular season in C-Town for the Clippers.. Perhaps 100 AB's? IDK

That's what I believe the Indians should do.. regardless of Ryan Raburn's success in Spring Training.. (and not the first time I've posted this thought)..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

On another note.. today's game can be listened to on line.. no charge..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:On another note.. today's game can be listened to on line.. no charge..

Where at G'son? And thanks in advance
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

criznit2009 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:On another note.. today's game can be listened to on line.. no charge..

Where at G'son? And thanks in advance
mlb.com
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:14 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Here's how I tend to view the roster (bench) right now.. in terms of non-pitchers:

Yan Gomes will be sent to AAA so he can play every day. We could see him called up mid-season, but at least initially, think he's sent to AAA.
Juan Diaz sent to AAA.
Ryan Raburn or Jason Giambi will be awarded the other spot on the roster. I tend to believe Raburn will win over Giambi, but Francona has mentioned a lot of positives about Giambi.

By the way, SwisherBuck.. Francona has mentioned already Swisher will see sometime in the OF. Not every day, but Swisher won't simply be a first baseman and that's it.

he might play the games vs NL so Reynolds can play 1B and Stubbs gets benched but i doubt he plays more then those in the OF
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:Here's how I tend to view the roster (bench) right now.. in terms of non-pitchers:

Juan Diaz sent to AAA.

he might play the games vs NL so Reynolds can play 1B and Stubbs gets benched but i doubt he plays more then those in the OF

You're probably correct.. with the Indians current roster, there would be only limited chances for Swisher to be in the outfield. The fewer times he's there.. the better for the trio of Brantley, Bourn and Stubbs.. Swisher also seems to be mroe than thrilled with being the primary 1B.. Concurrently, Mark Reynolds seems to be just as happy not having to worry much about finding a glove to wear... so, it's all good...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Masterson rolling, 6 up 6 down 5 Ground outs 1 K
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:34 pm

I just looked and the Indians play 37 ST Games, A little much no?
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:I just looked and the Indians play 37 ST Games, A little much no?

This year's ST is longer for all teams.. in part because of the WBC I believe.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Ho Hum Brantley with another double, 6 in 5 games now i think?
althought he must have been bored with Doubles as he was tagged out trying to make it a triple
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:Ho Hum Brantley with another double, 6 in 5 games now i think?
althought he must have been bored with Doubles as he was tagged out trying to make it a triple
He ran to third because the base was uncovered.. Josh Donaldson, a former catcher (hint) had his head up and beat Brantley to the bag.. btw..a cardinal rule that was violated.. don't ever make the first or last out of an inning at 3rd base....btw.. the Tribe has a 3 run lead going to the bottom of the 4th..

Aight.. who substituted the Browns and Raiders for the Indians and A's.. two touchdowns (w/ extra points) for thr Brown while only giving up two field goals.. ugh.. The Indians got their 11 runs again.. game over..... This offense just doesn't quit..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 am

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

Based on the comments from Francona and Antonetti it sounds to me like Raburn was/is a favorite to make this team. Agree, don't need a 4th OFer with Swisher at 1B. Plus have 3 CFers already so Carrera is pretty redundant. His speed is nice but that's mostly it. I am not sold he makes this club. Giambi could be the lefty on the bench and platoon with Stubbs at times.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:46 am

Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

Based on the comments from Francona and Antonetti it sounds to me like Raburn was/is a favorite to make this team. Agree, don't need a 4th OFer with Swisher at 1B. Plus have 3 CFers already so Carrera is pretty redundant. His speed is nice but that's mostly it. I am not sold he makes this club. Giambi could be the lefty on the bench and platoon with Stubbs at times.
Commenting on the Indians outfield situation.. the Indians do have three CF'ers.. and a question mark regarding a left handed platoon partner for Mark Reynolds. Ezequiel Carrera could, indirectly, be that platoon partner. One thing is certain, if Ezequiel is placed on waivers, he'll be snatched up in milliseconds.. My best guess would be a sooner rather than later trade of Zeke the Streak to either the Rangers or Yankees.. With the Yankees I would hope the return could be a very young prospect, not a soon to be MiLB free agent.. With the Rangers, the Indians could get Chris McGuiness' minor league transfer rights and or a very young prospect.. Hard to say at this time..

W/R to Francona.. he's the proverbial "cup half full" skipper.. everyone looks good.. everyone has a chance.. yada yada..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:45 am

Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

Im not concerned with Franconas comments 5 games into ST, way to much of time left for decisions to be made
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GoTribe028 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Commenting on the Indians outfield situation.. the Indians do have three CF'ers.. and a question mark regarding a left handed platoon partner for Mark Reynolds. Ezequiel Carrera could, indirectly, be that platoon partner.

Not sure a platoon really helps Reynolds as much as it would Stubbs. Both have better numbers vs lefties over righties obviously, but it's a more extreme split career wise for Stubbs. In his career at least he has an OPS vs lefties of .821 but just .655 against righties. Reynolds has a .789 OPS vs righties and a .857 against lefties.

Either way, I wouldn't expect to see Drew Stubbs (let alone both) in the lineup when they face Justin Verlander or Felix Hernandez.
GoTribe028
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby BrianM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:49 am

I did not really wanna see stubbs in the lineup when we faced guys like anibal sanchez. I love having his D out in right field, but he has proven he stinks against righties. As someone else mentioned, I'm not convinced Swisher doesnt get more than a handful of starts in right.
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm

BrianM wrote:I did not really wanna see stubbs in the lineup when we faced guys like anibal sanchez. I love having his D out in right field, but he has proven he stinks against righties. As someone else mentioned, I'm not convinced Swisher doesnt get more than a handful of starts in right.

Yes.. Stubbs against RHP's is not going to be pretty....not pretty at all.. That's why having a LH platoon partner at OF/DH/util makes a lot of sense. The partner might not platoon in the strictest sense, it will put him on the bench from time to time. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see an OF of Brantley Bourn and Swisher, left to right & both Swisher and Reynolds' will be moved to accommodate what makes the most sense against that day's pitcher.....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Matt Albers for some reason is starting vs KC
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby daingean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:Matt Albers for some reason is starting vs KC

Francona mentioned today was a bullpen day.....no starters to pitch...
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:39 pm

GoTribe028 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Commenting on the Indians outfield situation.. the Indians do have three CF'ers.. and a question mark regarding a left handed platoon partner for Mark Reynolds. Ezequiel Carrera could, indirectly, be that platoon partner.

Not sure a platoon really helps Reynolds as much as it would Stubbs. Both have better numbers vs lefties over righties obviously, but it's a more extreme split career wise for Stubbs. In his career at least he has an OPS vs lefties of .821 but just .655 against righties. Reynolds has a .789 OPS vs righties and a .857 against lefties.

Either way, I wouldn't expect to see Drew Stubbs (let alone both) in the lineup when they face Justin Verlander or Felix Hernandez.

Yeah Stubbs is the guy I am more worried about against righties too. Could definitely see Giambi making the club and platooning at times (Swish moving to RF and Reynolds to 1B).
Last edited by Hermie13 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

Im not concerned with Franconas comments 5 games into ST, way to much of time left for decisions to be made

The comments weren't from Spring Training. They were from a conversation Antonetti and Francona had back in October. Francona said he was a big fan of Raburn and if he was let go by Detroit was a guy he wanted Antonetti to target. Antonetti said the front office liked him too.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

The comments weren't from Spring Training. They were from a conversation Antonetti and Francona had back in October. Francona said he was a big fan of Raburn and if he was let go by Detroit was a guy he wanted Antonetti to target. Antonetti said the front office liked him too.

Even more reason to put absolutley no weight into the comments
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

That makes no sense but fair enough if that's how you feel.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby A.Zajac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

Hard to argue logic with some folks, Hermie. I'll attempt to explain what you mean... this further proves how he's a favorite to win a roster spot over others. If this was a guy in particular that both Francona and front office decided to target, it's for a specific reason. Swisher, you're logic is that since this comment came in the off-season, it has no value.. but I disagree with you. Whether the comment was made in the off-season, ST, or during the season.. they knew what they liked in Raburn and wanted to sign him if he were released.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am

Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

it makes all the world of sense. Roster spots unless its a key player are not decided the october of the previous year before the season starts, especially for a guy for Raburn, but keep you're hopes up if you want but what they say in october means nothing
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 am

SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
SwisherBuck11 wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
A.Zajac wrote:

My Point-
Your Head-

it makes all the world of sense. Roster spots unless its a key player are not decided the october of the previous year before the season starts, especially for a guy for Raburn, but keep you're hopes up if you want but what they say in october means nothing

Two schools of thought.. the Indians FO/Field Management (FO/FM) wouldn't bring a guy in that they didn't believe would help them win or improve the club.. and the Indians FO/FM would only offer a guy a minor league deal with an invite to spring training if they thought he wasn't good enough to make the club.. The trading of Jason Donald coupled with the addition of Mike Aviles took any urgency away.. Organizational depth from a guy the FO/FM liked could be Ryan Raburn's role to start his career with the Indians.. The Spring Training MVP performances followed by miserable results in the regular season may have had more to do with the FO/FM's reluctance to provide Raburn with any guaranteed money is clear..

btw..The thought that Raburn would NOT make the club out of spring training regardless of what he accomplished... still makes sense to me..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am

Raburn could be the utility man if Aviles has to play SS everyday. No speculation here, just saying there was talk about moving Asdrubal.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Raburn could be the utility man if Aviles has to play SS everyday. No speculation here, just saying there was talk about moving Asdrubal.
..or Juan Diaz could move in as the starter and keep Aviles as the primary utility guy?
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Chip Davis wrote:Raburn could be the utility man if Aviles has to play SS everyday. No speculation here, just saying there was talk about moving Asdrubal.
..or Juan Diaz could move in as the starter and keep Aviles as the primary utility guy?

Juan Diaz is not ready to be a big league starter. Aviles would definitely be the starter if Asdrubal was dealt, at least from the guys currently in camp. Maybe a guy like Theriot is brought n then or a SS option is brought back in the trade.

Seems like Asdrubal is staying put for now, though still think he could be moved in the right situation.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Juan Diaz is not ready to be a big league starter. Aviles would definitely be the starter if Asdrubal was dealt, at least from the guys currently in camp. Maybe a guy like Theriot is brought n then or a SS option is brought back in the trade.

Seems like Asdrubal is staying put for now, though still think he could be moved in the right situation.

Juan Diaz is more than ready to be a ML starter.. Aviles would best serve the needs of the Indians in the capacity of a super utility guy.. but it is likely Asdrubal is staying put.. unless the Indians get an offer they can't refuse...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Juan Diaz is more than ready to be a ML starter.. Aviles would best serve the needs of the Indians in the capacity of a super utility guy.. but it is likely Asdrubal is staying put.. unless the Indians get an offer they can't refuse...

Aviles >>> Diaz. And it's not even close.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:

Aviles >>> Diaz. And it's not even close.

Fortunately, it's not a comparison.. too bad for you and whether it's close or not.. rme...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Not a great day for the pitching staff.. giving up nine runs in five innings = ouch..McAllister, Vinnie and Dick-K didn't do themselves any favors.. Oh.. and by the time Bauer came in, the regulars were all heading for their tee times. Bauer did hold up his end of the bargain.. one k, 24 pitchers, two innings, and nothing across.. A very nice "ML" effort. Also, Francisco Lindor got into the game.. his first at bat was one pitch..he grounded into the fielder's choice, forcing Tyler Holt at 2nd base on a grounder.. Nice to see Lindor getting some BIG LEAGUE exposure...

Oh.. and he's not being compared to Mike Aviles, either... rme...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Offense struggling 3 days in a row, McCallister got hit pretty hard today, so did Pestano

Bauer threw 2 no hit innings
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 pm

SwisherBuck11 wrote:Offense struggling 3 days in a row, McCallister got hit pretty hard today, so did Pestano

Bauer threw 2 no hit innings

I didn't look at it that closely.. I knew it was two innings.. but not the no hits.. even better..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby martyinnewyork » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm

GSon has never been wrong...
martyinnewyork
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:29 am

martyinnewyork wrote:GSon has never been wrong...

Flattery will get you a cookie.. sniff, sniff..I smell sarcasm....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Masterson for the start vs Chicago today

threw 3 Shutout innings in his last apperance
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Masterson getting hammered here early on. :sad
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Indians in regular season form, red hot start then it dies off, getting blown away for the 4th game in a row
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby A.Zajac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Kazmir strikes out three consecutively and pitches two scoreless. Think we might have an early favorite for our #5.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Nice come from behind W for the Tribe, McDade has 9 RBIs in the 9 games so far in ST
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby BrianM » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:31 pm

A.Zajac wrote:Kazmir strikes out three consecutively and pitches two scoreless. Think we might have an early favorite for our #5.

Somebody else mentioned how Francona was being really positive about everything in camp, and that can make it hard for us to believe everything, but maybe he wasn't foolin when he said he really thought Kazmir was throwing well.

Man, how awesome would it be if Kazmir...
BrianM
Rookie Baller

Postby SwisherBuck11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Bauer is off to a good start as well

the only diffrence between Bauers number and Kazmir is Kazmir has 1 more K but Bauer has a W, they have the exact same IP, hits allowed, BAA, WHIP and BBs
SwisherBuck11
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:14 am

SwisherBuck11 wrote:Bauer is off to a good start as well

the only diffrence between Bauers number and Kazmir is Kazmir has 1 more K but Bauer has a W, they have the exact same IP, hits allowed, BAA, WHIP and BBs

Agree, Bauer has been very good in the early going.

I still believe the plan behind the scenes is for him to open in Columbus though and spend 6 weeks or so down there, but if he keeps this up he could really force his way onto the roster...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

PreviousNext

Return to Beyond The Minors