RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Snow Days over; What would you like to see next winter?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Snow Days over; What would you like to see next winter?

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Snow days are officially over. Over 25,000 showed up for the U of M - Buckeyes game. Reports are it was a good atmosphere and well run by everyone involved. Shapiro said the game was profitable, but Snow Days overall lost money due to bad (good) weather.

As far as improving Snow Days; I believe it's all about getting kids there. Maybe shuttle buses from shopping centers might be a good idea. Shapiro also mentioned this was a strain on the building that is normally winterized. I would hate to see problems develop with the building. I think it looks as good today as when it opened almost 20 years ago.

Other ideas;
Move Snow Days to the plaza between the stadium and the Q. Scale it back, but add some X-Game type competitions. One big advantage; If you can see it from Ontario, it builds interest.

Some teams have a winterfest weekend that is more baseball related. Player and alumni appearances, seminars, and clinics are included. Sponsors could also buy tables at the event to reach the crowd. One problem, I don't think this could be done at Progressive Field, unless it's underneath.
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Snow Days over; What would you like to see next winter?

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Snow days are officially over. Over 25,000 showed up for the U of M - Buckeyes game. Reports are it was a good atmosphere and well run by everyone involved. Shapiro said the game was profitable, but Snow Days overall lost money due to bad (good) weather.

As far as improving Snow Days; I believe it's all about getting kids there. Maybe shuttle buses from shopping centers might be a good idea. Shapiro also mentioned this was a strain on the building that is normally winterized. I would hate to see problems develop with the building. I think it looks as good today as when it opened almost 20 years ago.

Other ideas;
Move Snow Days to the plaza between the stadium and the Q. Scale it back, but add some X-Game type competitions. One big advantage; If you can see it from Ontario, it builds interest.

Some teams have a winterfest weekend that is more baseball related. Player and alumni appearances, seminars, and clinics are included. Sponsors could also buy tables at the event to reach the crowd. One problem, I don't think this could be done at Progressive Field, unless it's underneath.

Unfortunately this isn't really possible. Dan Gilbert would have a field day if there was a huge ice ramp clogging up space around his arena, not to mention the congestion you'd have there when snow days and a Cavs game are going on. As far as the X-games thing....think you're getting into some issues with insurance there. Too much 'extreme' stuff and you're just asking for injuries.

Agree though, need to get the kids there. Went down to it this year and it was actually a lot of fun (had a 12 year old with me and she had a blast as did I). I hope they can keep it going...but all comes down to money.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors