RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Tigers at Indians, Aug. 9, 10 & 11

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Tigers at Indians, Aug. 9, 10 & 11

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Biggest series of the season to date, so let's get started...

Entering the series...
Indians: 56-56, 2nd place in AL Central, 4 GB the Tigers. 29-24 at home. 4-6 in last 10.
Tigers: 61-53, 1st place in AL Central, 4 games ahead of the Indians. 28-28 on the road. 6-4 in last 10.
...Normally, the Indians should probably be satisfied with going 3-4 on a road trip against 2 of the 3 best teams in the league, but all 4 losses came in their opponent's last time at bat. The Tigers gained 2 games in the standings during the Tribe's road trip. Detroit has a record of 25-14 within the division, despite dropping 4 of 6 against Cleveland so far. Since May 2nd, Detroit is 49-36 while Cleveland has gone 36-48, but the Tribe's season record hasn't dropped below .500 since April 3rd.

Tuesday, 7:05 ET
Justin Masterson, RHP (9-7, 2.63) vs. Doug Fister, RHP (4-12, 3.29)

Masterson has posted a 1.97 ERA over the past two months, holding opponents to a .557 OPS over 77.2 innings. He's also 4-1 since the start of July. Masterson is 0-1 in 2 starts against Detroit this season, but allowed just 4 earned runs in 13.1 innings (2.70 ERA). • Detroit acquired Fister at the trade deadline to shore up the back of their rotation, and he didn't disappoint in his first start, beating Texas by allowing just 2 earned runs in 7 innings. Fister was just happy to join a team that occasionally scores runs, as it was his first win since May 30th, and Seattle's offense has left him last in the AL in run support (2.5 runs/game). He's already been denied victory against Cleveland twice this year, despite allowing just 3 earned runs in 14 innings (1.93 ERA).

Wednesday, 7:05 ET
Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP (6-9, 4.64) vs. Rick Porcello, RHP (11-6, 4.49)

Jimenez will be making his second start for Cleveland, and his second start this year against Detroit. In his first with Cleveland, Jimenez allowed 5 runs in 5 innings, but did strike out 7 Rangers. However, he fared a bit better in his first start against Detroit, picking up a victory, although he did allow 3 runs on 8 hits over 5 innings. In his last start, Jimenez proved that he can he still throw his fastball hard (avg. over 94 mph), but now he has to control it (only 58% of his pitches were strikes). • Porcello's made great strides to salvage what had been a disappointing season. He's 5-0 with a 3.26 ERA since the start of July, allowing no more than 3 earned runs in any of the 6 starts. He's also 4-0 in 8 career starts against Cleveland, posting a 2.32 ERA. The Indians hope to take advantage of his struggles against left-handers, who have put up a line of .318/.363/.461 against him this season.

Thursday, 7:05 ET
Fausto Carmona, RHP (5-11, 5.19) vs. Justin Verlander, RHP (16-5, 2.30)

Carmona has also been working at turning his season around since the start of July, with a 2.60 ERA over his last 27.2 innings (holding opponents to a .297 OBP). He also defeated Detroit with 5 innings of 2-run ball earlier this season. He's 8-4 lifetime against the Tigers with a 3.48 ERA in 101 innings. • The Tigers are using the off-day on Monday to skip Brad Penny's spot in the rotation and go for the jugular -- getting Cy Young candidate Justin Verlander into this series against their top competitor. Verlander leads the league in starts, innings, strikeouts and WHIP, and is one of only two 16 game winners in the AL. One of those victories was a 2-hit shutout of the Tribe in June, when he struck out 12. He's won each of his last 4 starts, and has only failed to go at least 7 innings once in his last 14 games (his 117 pitches/start are an MLB-high). There's also no platoon advantage to be had against him, as lefties struggle to the tune of .170/.228/.268.

NOTES:
Shelley Duncan was only expected to spend the weekend with the Tribe while Jack Hannahan was on paternity leave. However, after going 3-for-6 with a double, home run, 3 walks and no strikeouts, Duncan isn't necessarily the player to be moved off the roster when Hannahan returns Tuesday. Ezequiel Carrera has 1 hit in his last 14 ab's and can simply be optioned out, but his absence would limit team flexibility in center field. Austin Kearns' lone hot streak of the season is over (2 hits in his last 26 ab's), but would need to be released.
• In the 4 games following his "golden sombrero" in Boston, Carlos Santana is 7-for-16 with 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 8 rbi.
Jason Kipnis has 5 home runs in his first 13 MLB games, but that's hardly been the guarantee of future success that one might hope. The last major leaguer to achieve that mark was Taylor Teagarden in 2008, and the last Indian to do it was Luis Medina in 1988. Kipnis also batted .321 on the 7-game road trip.
Carlos Carrasco has started serving his 6-game suspension for intentionally throwing at Billy Butler. With the addition of Ubaldo Jimenez, Carrasco is just as likely to be demoted in favor of David Huff after serving his suspension as he is to rejoin the rotation.
• Since being acquired to upgrade their 3rd base situation, Wilson Betemit has hit .282/.349/.410 in 12 games, although he continues to struggle defensively (.929 fld. pct. with Detroit).
Victor Martinez is day-to-day with a sprained left knee.
Jhonny Peralta had struggled over the past 2 weeks -- .239/.265/.283 in his last 13 games -- but that includes a 3-for-8 weekend in KC.
• Since returning from the DL back in June, Magglio Ordonez has put up a more respectable .271/.335/.354 line, but his OPS is still .597 for the season.

Cleveland is 4-2 against Detroit this season.
4/29 • W • 9-5. Win: C. Perez. Loss: Benoit.
4/30 • W • 3-2 (13). Win: Sipp. Loss: Villareal.
5/1 • W • 5-4. Win: Durbin. Loss: Benoit.
6/14 • L • 0-4. Win: Verlander. Loss: Masterson.
6/15 • W • 6-4. Win: Carmona. Loss: Furbush.
6/16 • L • 2-6. Win: Scherzer. Loss: Talbot.

SCOREBOARD WATCH
"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige
Last edited by Pork Chop Pough on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Re: Tigers at Indians, Aug. 9, 10 & 11

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:58 pm

A very early posting of the Series thread...ty for that, PCP...

A couple of other notes..

-The Indians have won 11 consecutive games against the Tigers at Progressive field..it seems as if the home field advantage is a home field advantage when these two clubs meet...

-Justin Masterson will be pitching on normal rest in the opener as Carlos Carrasco, who would normally be the next starting pitcher in line, is serving his suspension.

-The word out of Detroilet is that Victor Martinez will be in the starting lineup in Tuesday's opener.. It's just like Victor to want to be on the field in important games..

-Miguel Cabrera is hitting a "cool" .400 against the Indians this season, including two home runs and a double. He is the one batter in that lineup that the Indians need to make sure doesn't beat them. Cabrera has enjoyed a "career year" against the Indians pitchers during his time with both the Marlins and the Tigers..

-Both Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland have been resigned for the 2012 campaign for the Tigers. There is no lame duck or win one for the gipper motivation for the Tigers front office and field leadership in the offing for this series.

-It's been nearly three months since these two teams have faced each other.. my oh my, have times changed: no grady, no choo, carrasco suspended, carlos guillen back, ordonez back, furbush gone, fister in..etc.....but then again..the more things change.. the more they stay the same.

Both the winner and the loser of this series will have six more head to head games.. the last three to occur the last three games of the season...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Well Carrasco won't be demoted in favor of Huff any time soon. He was just placed on the DL with elbow inflamation.

With this move his suspension is on hold. Does keep Duncan around as Hannahan has been brought back from paternity leave.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby stoike » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am

Hermie13 wrote:Well Carrasco won't be demoted in favor of Huff any time soon. He was just placed on the DL with elbow inflamation.

With this move his suspension is on hold. Does keep Duncan around as Hannahan has been brought back from paternity leave.

This is obviously a move of convenience. Carrasco is not hurt! In his last start, he was throwing harder (mid-90s) then he has in awhile, and got stronger as the game went on. He finished very, VERY well. Hope the Tribe never gets in trouble for making up injuries such as this.....
stoike
Draft Prospect

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 am

I know there are a lot of parallels between this club and the 2004 Indians, so I'll just add to it:

The 2004 Indians had a showdown with the first place Twins at Jacob's Field in mid-August, took the first 2 games, got within a game of the Division, and then rattled off a 9 game losing streak.

Here's hoping the Indians take 2 of 3 (at least), but keep it together and make it interesting.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 am

stoike wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:Well Carrasco won't be demoted in favor of Huff any time soon. He was just placed on the DL with elbow inflamation.

This is obviously a move of convenience. Carrasco is not hurt! In his last start, he was throwing harder (mid-90s) then he has in awhile, and got stronger as the game went on. He finished very, VERY well. Hope the Tribe never gets in trouble for making up injuries such as this.....

There was a report that said that Carlos Carrasco left the Ballpark in Arlington with a compression cuff on his elbow..a sure sign that there is inflammation / swelling. This isn't a "made up injury".. it's real. The finish to his outing was very good, even if the game ended in an "L". There is something that made his elbow swell. Hopefully, it is nothing serious...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 am

Magneticnorth451 wrote:I know there are a lot of parallels between this club and the 2004 Indians, so I'll just add to it:

The 2004 Indians had a showdown with the first place Twins at Jacob's Field in mid-August, took the first 2 games, got within a game of the Division, and then rattled off a 9 game losing streak.

Here's hoping the Indians take 2 of 3 (at least), but keep it together and make it interesting.
It would be nice to start the series by taking game one. Fister was pretty nasty with the Indians when he was pitching for the M's. Hopefully, the Indians have figured him out a bit..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:I know there are a lot of parallels between this club and the 2004 Indians, so I'll just add to it:

Good comp series. To me the big difference is this team seems more focused/disciplined to me. If i had a nickel for every time I heard that this team was finished (especially after that last homestand) I'd be retired now with my own tropical island.

Yet this team came out and took 2 of 4 from the best team in the AL...in their park. We boucned back to win the last game despite not 1 but 2 heartbreaking walk off losses. We then blew the game Friday in similar fashion....and all looked lost when we blew a late lead again on Saturday (against another 1st place team mind you and the reigning AL champs)....yet they fought back and won that game in the 9th.

This team just won't go away no matter how many times they are pronounced dead. I don't see even a bad series here against the Tigers being the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Definitely hoping for at least 2 if not 3 wins here though against the Tiggers. Got the rotation set up for it :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby jellis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:33 pm

past 2 weeks I have felt the 2004 parallel, really hit me during the texas series as that year part of the 9 game losing stretch was texas
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby TonyIBI » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 pm

stoike wrote:

Actually, clubs can't make up injuries. Players, agents and the MLBPA would have a fit. It hurts the player if he is "hurt" when he isn't with getting paid down the road, etc. In the minors teams make up injuries all the time (the calf strain) but teams know those are bogus. No team diagnoses a guy with a sore elbow/shoulder publicly unless there is really an issue.

I mean, go back to Talbot's 2nd or 3rd start this year versus the Angels. He was great, throwing hard, pitched deep into the game....then somehow it was found it he was hurt after. It happens. Me personally, I don't think Carrasco has been right the last month, which may explain some of his issues since the very good June.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby indianinkslinger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:40 pm

TonyIPI wrote:
stoike wrote:

Actually, clubs can't make up injuries. Players, agents and the MLBPA would have a fit. It hurts the player if he is "hurt" when he isn't with getting paid down the road, etc. In the minors teams make up injuries all the time (the calf strain) but teams know those are bogus. No team diagnoses a guy with a sore elbow/shoulder publicly unless there is really an issue.

I mean, go back to Talbot's 2nd or 3rd start this year versus the Angels. He was great, throwing hard, pitched deep into the game....then somehow it was found it he was hurt after. It happens. Me personally, I don't think Carrasco has been right the last month, which may explain some of his issues since the very good June.

Pretty much agree, Tony. If they wanted to send him out without repurcussions they could have sent him down for 20 days. Not necessary at all to put him on DL. The injury report actually concerns me because no one wants to hear about a pitcher with a sore elbow/shoulder problems, especially when his overall performance this year has shown MOR potential and maybe even better. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Just over an hour to first pitch.. and the lineups are posted for Game one:

The Tiger starting lineup includes:

Jackson, A, CF
Boesch, B, LF
Dirks, A, RF
Cabrera, M, 1B
Martinez, V, DH
Peralta, J, SS
Guillen, C, 2B
Avila, A, C
Kelly, D, 3B

Fister D, P

While the Indians counter with

Brantley, M, LF
Kipnis, J, 2B
Cabrera, A, SS
Hafner, T, DH
Santana, C, C
Fukudome, K, RF
LaPorta, M, 1B
Chisenhall, L, 3B
Carrera, E, CF

Masterson J, P
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:55 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:
TonyIPI wrote:I mean, go back to Talbot's 2nd or 3rd start this year versus the Angels. He was great, throwing hard, pitched deep into the game....then somehow it was found it he was hurt after. It happens. Me personally, I don't think Carrasco has been right the last month, which may explain some of his issues since the very good June.

Pretty much agree, Tony. If they wanted to send him out without repurcussions they could have sent him down for 20 days. Not necessary at all to put him on DL. The injury report actually concerns me because no one wants to hear about a pitcher with a sore elbow/shoulder problems, especially when his overall performance this year has shown MOR potential and maybe even better. :pleasantry:

I'm very concerned with this latest injury for Carrasco. This is now the 2nd time this year he's had to go on the DL for elbow soreness....
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Nothing like a little rain delay to add to the anxiety..

Michael Brantley grimace looked like more than just a little soreness in his wrist.. that looked a LOT like a "go on the 15 day DL after waiting around for a couple of days to see if it gets better..

Kipnis's play may be seen again on Web Gems/plays of the day.. a great dive and grad of VMarts hot smash up the middle...

Good fundamental offensive execution for the Tigers getting the runs over and in..

Justin Masterson isn't getting hit hard.. we'll see if he settles and gives us a great show when the game begins again.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:58 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:Nothing like a little rain delay to add to the anxiety..

Michael Brantley grimace looked like more than just a little soreness in his wrist.. that looked a LOT like a "go on the 15 day DL after waiting around for a couple of days to see if it gets better..

Kipnis's play may be seen again on Web Gems/plays of the day.. a great dive and grad of VMarts hot smash up the middle...

Good fundamental offensive execution for the Tigers getting the runs over and in..

Justin Masterson isn't getting hit hard.. we'll see if he settles and gives us a great show when the game begins again.

Great diving grab by Kipnis. Now if only he grabs that easy ball the batter before. And gotta make a better effort on that bouncer up the middle. If he at least knocks it down. Yeah Masterson walked the next batter, but changed that inning.

Was really worried about the rain here tonight. Very tough break for the Tribe, especially if Masterson isn't able to come back out. Doesn't look pretty out here right now :s_mad
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Two hour rain delay and now we get Durbin. This is not good. Also Brantley got hurt and appeared to be in a lot of pain after swinging the bat. So far this series has gotten off to a horrible start for the Tribe.

At least the Tigers will have to go to their bullpen as well. Wonder how good their long man is?

OMG, Durbin got Miggy Cabrera out. If he gets Victor too it means God has decided to intervene in this game.

Wow, a 1-2-3 inning for Durbin including Cabrera and VMart. Who says God isn't an Indians fan?
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Darn, they brought in a lefty and we have eight left-handed hitters in the lineup. No fair, Leyland.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Darn, they brought in a lefty and we have eight left-handed hitters in the lineup. No fair, Leyland.

6, two switch hitters and a righty.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby criznit2009 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Chad Durbins best game as an indian.... Right there baby! :s_biggrin
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GeronimoSon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Raffy left flirted with danger..but worked his way out of the jam... Below is handcuffing the Indians hitters..this guy has mediocre stuff.. the Indians hitters need to jump on the first fastball and go the other way with it..

I don't know what LaPorta was doing on that hot smash..he either didn't see it off the bat or was going into "goalie" mode.. smh..

Great athletic play by Sipp to get off the mound to make that catch and whirl for the DP.. What was Avila thinking?

Onward to the seventh inning stretch...

Ever since Manny had that one way conversation in Texas with Vinnie..he has been attacking hitters without fear. Tonight, his victim was Miguel Cabrera, who he got to chase a patented Slinging Vinnie fastball off the plate.. NYCE!!!!!!!!!

Suicide squeeze.. kills the rally. It was a play that everyone seemed to be aware was coming and the Indians lost the gamble.. ah well, onto the next inning.. ugh..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 am

What the Fukudome?!
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby indianinkslinger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:57 am

Wonder how fast we can get Judy here from Columbus? Might even think about adding Putnam with all the tired arms. Hell of a relief job by the whole team. Sure could use more productive ABs though.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby go_tribe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:00 am

what a terribly boring game, the offense is pathetic but nice to see the bullpen rebound. Only 3 back now
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:34 am

indianinkslinger wrote:Wonder how fast we can get Judy here from Columbus? Might even think about adding Putnam with all the tired arms. Hell of a relief job by the whole team. Sure could use more productive ABs though.

About 5.5 hours....maybe 5 if he drives really fast (Clippers are in Louisville) :s_tongue

Agree though, hell of a job by the pen. Huge game for Ubaldo tomorrow. Not just against the Tigers and his first home start, but really needs to go 7 innings tomorrow (and more wouldn't hurt). One nice thing was Sipp only threw 11 pitches (despite going 1.2 innings) and CP only threw 13, so with the day off Monday both should be more than fine to bounce back and go again tomorrow.

Agree too on the ABs. Liked that a number of guys were working the count and fought back from being down in the count, but lack of results was troublesome.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 am

Brand new way to win a game: A bases loaded walk off HBP..this is the third game the Indians have walked off the tigers this season..

Close and late.. tough pitching.. ineffective hitting because of the pitching.. rain delay.. well. it sure made for an exciting game last night... Tonight is the home opening of the Ubaldo Show.. On the face of it, it looks like the match up favors the Indians, but, with the way Miguel Cabrera has been hitting, Ubaldo should walk him four times.. The lefty heavy lineup will be on full display for Manny..(btw..his new glasses are not an improvement.. go back to the Joe Maddon version).

Game two of this crucial series.... just 11 hours and 20 minutes away...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 am

GeronimoSon wrote:Brand new way to win a game: A bases loaded walk off HBP..this is the third game the Indians have walked off the tigers this season..

Close and late.. tough pitching.. ineffective hitting because of the pitching.. rain delay.. well. it sure made for an exciting game last night... Tonight is the home opening of the Ubaldo Show.. On the face of it, it looks like the match up favors the Indians, but, with the way Miguel Cabrera has been hitting, Ubaldo should walk him four times.. The lefty heavy lineup will be on full display for Manny..(btw..his new glasses are not an improvement.. go back to the Joe Maddon version).

The Tigers immediately brought in the lefties when the game resumed. On cue we stopped knowing what a bat is for. If I was opposing the Indians I would go as low as A ball to find a left for the game. I know - some miracle happened int Texas. The tribe came out hitting against the right handed starter - and then had spaghetti for bats. This is a severe vulnerability.

Also - for all those who "dislike" (dislike strongly) - Durban and Hermann - give those two a tip of the cap.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 am

Bearcatbob wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:Brand new way to win a game: A bases loaded walk off HBP..this is the third game the Indians have walked off the tigers this season..

The Tigers immediately brought in the lefties when the game resumed. On cue we stopped knowing what a bat is for. If I was opposing the Indians I would go as low as A ball to find a left for the game. I know - some miracle happened int Texas. The tribe came out hitting against the right handed starter - and then had spaghetti for bats. This is a severe vulnerability.

Also - for all those who "dislike" (dislike strongly) - Durban and Hermann - give those two a tip of the cap.

Bob
No bout a doubt it.. both Durbin and SUPE'Herrmann deserve a tip of the cap for last night's performance. Durbin with his longest outing of the season following the rain delay and SUPE'Herrmann with the finishing touches in the final two innings..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 am

Well, hopefully Leyland burned out all his lefty relievers last night so he won't have them available tonight. With Porcello starting and left-handed batters hitting .318 against him, the Tribe has a chance to score some runs off him and then keep it going against right-handed relievers. Hope it works out that way, but Porcello has been very successful against the Tribe in the past.

Time for Ubaldo to step up.

We're lucky Fuku couldn't get out of the way of that pitch. That inside fastball was thrown just to set up the breaking ball down and away on the next pitch, which Fuku would have struck out on.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Lineups starting the game are a bit different after the fourteen inning marathon last evening:

Dirks, A, CF
Boesch, B, LF
Ordonez, M, RF
Cabrera, M, 1B
Martinez, V, DH
Raburn, R, 2B
Avila, A, C
Betemit, W 3B
Santiago, R, SS

Porcello, R, P

Dirks moves from the third spot in the order to the lead off spot, giving Austin Jackson a night off. Ordonez takes Dirks spot in the Tiger's order. Jhonny P, Don Kelly and Carlos Guillen are also out of the lineup against Jimenez.

The Indians counter with:

Carrera, E, CF
Kipnis, J, 2B
Cabrera, A, SS
Hafner, T, DH
Santana, C, 1B
Fukudome, K, RF
Duncan, S, LF
Chisenhall, L,
Marson, L, C

Jimenez U, P

The game should be able to be played without a delay tonight. Should be a beautiful night for the ballgame..

Michael Brantley is being held out to give his wrist a chance to rest. This type of "hurt" can linger and will require adequate rest. In Brantley's lead off spot, Zeke the Streak will attempt to use his speed game to set the table for the Indians and Lou Marson takes his spot behind the plate. It's imperative that the Indians get Porcello out of the full wind up and into the stretch often and continuously. He is a much tougher pitcher when he's doesn't have to concern himself with the running game.

Both starters were only able to go two innings last night. Manny Acta has stated that Justin Masterson will be back on the hill Friday against the Twins.

Go Tribe !
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Chip Davis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Not playing LaPorta against a right handed pitcher is stupid and he's not going to get on any kind of hot streak playing everyother day. Meanwhile Duncan and Marson are in the lineup. I don't understand.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Not playing LaPorta against a right handed pitcher is stupid and he's not going to get on any kind of hot streak playing everyother day. Meanwhile Duncan and Marson are in the lineup. I don't understand.

Well Duncan is in LF.....Brantley looked lost at the plate and grimaced in pain a couple times. No problem with the day off for him to heal more. Only thing here you could argue is Kearns over Duncan....but personally not upset here.

Santana caught 14 innings yesterday and was drilled several times by foul tips. He needed some kind of rest so Marson starting was to be expected today. So it came down to Santana or LaPorta at 1B.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Hermie13 wrote:So it came down to Santana or LaPorta at 1B.

And Santana is now 4-for-7 in his career against Porcello, with 2 home runs.

Brennan Boesch just left the game... I'm starting to like the look of tonight's Tigers lineup.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:44 pm

This Kipnis guy is starting to grow on me. Fukudome - not so much.

This is looking very good. Porcello is having to throw a lot of pitches early and the Tiger bullpen is depleted. Meanwhile, the Tribe is up 4-0 and Ubaldo is dealing.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Kipnis is the real deal! I wonder what future Cord Phelps has in the Indians organization.
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:Kipnis is the real deal! I wonder what future Cord Phelps has in the Indians organization.

He and/or Donald will be excellent trade bait. Donald seems more likely to be the utility guy b/c he can play around the IF but that might mean he has more value to trade too
Lloyd Christmas
Draft Prospect

Postby GeronimoSon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 pm

...It's imperative that the Indians get Porcello out of the full wind up and into the stretch often and continuously....
They have their hitting shoes on tonight.. Now the Indians need to add on..

If that is a minor sprain to Asdrubal's ankle.. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put Donald at SS.. see how he, Chiz and the Kipper blend... The Indians need Drooobs healthy for the stretch run...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:If that is a minor sprain to Asdrubal's ankle.. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put Donald at SS.. see how he, Chiz and the Kipper blend... The Indians need Drooobs healthy for the stretch run...

I don't think it's a sprain for AC.... he was hit right on that foot in his earlier AB.... probably just bruised.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm

I repeat - Kipnis is the real deal!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Tribe has scored 51 runs in 9 games so far in August. The bats are starting to heat up. And now we have Ubaldo. Choo is playing in rehab games and is only about a week away. All systems are go.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 pm

" A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush."

Ubaldo is the bird in the hand! The next two years - plus the remainder of this one - are looking much much much much much better!
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby TonyIBI » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:10 pm

Right now the Indians did what they needed to do and are guaranteed to win this series and gain at least one game. Now the Indians have an opportunity to sweep AND beat Verlander. Wow, what a great win that would be to build confidence for the team and also a demoralizing loss for the Tigers. Here is hoping Carmona is on his A-game tomorrow and matches Verlander pitch for pitch.
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie

Postby nubballguy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:41 pm

TonyIPI wrote:Right now the Indians did what they needed to do and are guaranteed to win this series and gain at least one game. Now the Indians have an opportunity to sweep AND beat Verlander. Wow, what a great win that would be to build confidence for the team and also a demoralizing loss for the Tigers. Here is hoping Carmona is on his A-game tomorrow and matches Verlander pitch for pitch.

Not to mention what a massive boost it would be to Carmona if he were able to match or, better yet, best Jimenez' effort tonight AND outduel the Tigers ace and CY candidate. It's not easy but its all there for him and I think would really bring a lot around to believing he's found his form if he can pull off a clutch start like that. Here's hoping! :drinks:
nubballguy
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:35 am

Anyone hear anything about AsCab's foot? Sure would hate to have him miss tomorrow along with Brantley. Verlander is such a load and even tougher against RH hitters.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 am

Nice job by the boys tonight!! Kipnis man o man I am glad we are in the hunt this year, or else you still might be in Columbus. Fukudome is gonna bust loose too. The whole team is ready to/starting to burst offensively.... Carmona in a put up or sut up situation tomorrow.. Are you real or are you like you are sometimes? Big time game for him, his toughest test of the year obviously, if he nails it... The Tribe doesn't look good... The tribe IS good.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Tondo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 am

2 very good wins to start the series....hope it's not just a tease to get me back into PO thoughts, which I had given up on already after the BOS and TEX series....obviously big game tonight...hopefully Carmona proves me wrong

And Kipnis...oh boy, he didn't take long to adjust huh? After his 3 for 22 start, he's now 15 for 39 in August with 5 HRs...his ABs looked much better from the start compared to Chis, his bat looks to be much better, the MiLB track record probably didn't lie after all. I hope Chis becomes more than a LaPorta, because right now he's guessing a lot too...for his position I would take something between Kipnis and Laporta and I think that's where he'll settle at offensively
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:05 am

Justin Verlander versus Fausto Carmona.. this one could be a real tough one for the young Wahoos. Verlander pitched a two hit complete game shut out in his only start against the Indians earlier this year. Overall, the Indians have had some success against him over the years as Verlander, in 25 starts, has an 11-11 record & a 4.82 ERA. Only the Toronto Blue Jays in the AL have a higher ERA. Fausto has faced the Tigers one time this year, getting a W in an otherwise unremarkable game. Fausto's career numbers against the Tigers, 15 starts, 8-4 record and a 3.48 ERA is his best against intra-division rivals. It should be a beautiful night for baseball at the corner of Ontario and Carnegie.

Go Tribe..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

With two of the Tigers' top three hitters being right-handed (M. Cabrera and Honny), our right-handed staff matches up well against them, and that includes Fausto. Only VMart hits lefty among their top run producers. If Boesch is out tonight after aggravating a wrist injury in his first at-bat last night that's another break for the Tribe.

Could be a good pitcher's duel that may be settled by the bullpens. But I'll never be surprised to see Verlander go nine.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 am

Prosecutor wrote:With two of the Tigers' top three hitters being right-handed (M. Cabrera and Honny), our right-handed staff matches up well against them, and that includes Fausto. Only VMart hits lefty among their top run producers. If Boesch is out tonight after aggravating a wrist injury in his first at-bat last night that's another break for the Tribe.

Could be a good pitcher's duel that may be settled by the bullpens. But I'll never be surprised to see Verlander go nine.
Verlander is a HORSE. Unlike Porcello, Verlander seems to become tougher if he has runners on base.. and even tougher yet when they are in scoring position. The Tigers also seem to play with a higher degree of confidence, as it should be when a true ACE is on the hill. An early lead by their opposition doesn't seem to change the way the Tigers play when Verlander is pitching. Bottom line, he's the guy in their rotation that can and has won the game all by himself, just like Billy Chapel in the Movie "For Love of the Game" (btw Kelly Preston is quite easy on the eyes) It is a break that Boesch is not going to be available for the game tonight as he is one of the Tigers few left handed run producers.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:34 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Anyone hear anything about AsCab's foot? Sure would hate to have him miss tomorrow along with Brantley. Verlander is such a load and even tougher against RH hitters.

No news on AC. Been reports on both Brantley and Boesch for Detroit so assuming no news on AC means he'll play, but we'll see.

Side Note: Asdrubal is 5 for 30 (.167, all singles and 4 walks) in his career vs Verlander.....Donald is actually 3 for 6 with a double. Yeah, extremely small sample size on Donald....but if you were going to pick a day to get AC a lil extra rest and heal that foot, today may actually not be the worst time to do it...
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm

A little change to last night's game:

Ubaldo now charged with 0 Earned Runs. The non-catch by Santana at first has now been ruled an error.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Next

Return to Beyond The Minors