RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Cleveland Indians At Texas Rangers, August 5-7, 2011

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Cleveland Indians At Texas Rangers, August 5-7, 2011

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Cleveland Indians at Texas Rangers, August 5th to August 7th, 2011
Posted by GeronimoSon » Friday, August 5, 2011 2:01 pm

Entering the series...
Indians: 55-54, 2nd place in AL Central with a 3 game deficit. 25-30 on the road 4-6 in last 10
Rangers: 62-50, 1st place in AL West, 1 game ahead of the surging Angels 35-21 at home 4-6 in last 10
The Indians come into this series against the Rangers after splitting a four game series against the First Place Red Sox. This marks the second first place club the Indians will be facing during a 10 game span. The First Place Detroit Tigers are next on the schedule. The Rangers just finished losing a four game mid week series against those Tigers, salvaging the last game of the series. The Rangers have the hard charging Angels right in their rear view mirror and are being pushed for the lead in the AL West. This weekend series could go a long way in determining who controls the AL West as the Dog Days of Summer set in. Here is what we'll be seeing in this sure to be hotter than a firecracker weekend series:

Friday, 8:05 ET
Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP (0-0, 0.00) vs. Derek Holland, LHP (10-4 4.14)

Today marks the start of the Ubaldo Jimenez Era in Cleveland Indians history. Ubaldo comes to the Indians after a gutsy trade engineered by Chris Antonetti at the trading deadline. Ubaldo started the season with the Rockies and a pair of minor injuries that set his season into a negative spiral, going 0-5 during that time. He has righted his ship, has raised the velocity on his fastball from the "high 80's/low 90's" to a devastating mid 90's to upper 90's range. He is clearly a front of the rotation 'staff ace' type of pitcher. The Ranger's Derek Holland has been on an incredible roll himself. In his last five starts, he is 4-0 with a 1.64 ERA and that includes three shutouts of his team leading four shutouts. Holland is also responsible for a shutout against the Indians on June 4 in Cleveland. This match up screams PITCHER's DUEL !!.. should be a good one with Ubaldo and the Indians having a slight edge as the Rangers have never faced Ubaldo in the past..

Saturday, 8:05 ET
Fausto Carmona, RHP (5-10, 5.31) vs. CJ Wilson, LHP (10-5 3.37)

On paper, this looks like a battle of bad versus ace. Good thing the games aren't played on paper.. In the last five starts, 26 IP, Fausto has pitched very well, allowing nine earned (however tainted) runs. Fausto has shown maturity and command of his pitches. He appears to have turned his season around. In Fausto's last start against the Rangers in Cleveland, Fausto pitched into the seventh inning, giving up four runs while his Wigwam mates were shut out. This game marks the biggest test of the year, so far, for Fausto. C J Wilson comes off Wilson his worst outing of the year. He pitched only 3 2/3 innings before the onslaught that included seven runs given up to the Toronto Blue Jays was mercifully ended. This marks his second poor outing (followed the jays outing with a four inning six run disaster against the weak hitting Twins) So, it appears Fausto is moving in the right direction.. while CJ Wilson is heading in the wrong direction. The intrigue for this series continues to build...

Sunday 8:05 ET
Josh Tomlin, RHP (11-5, 4.16) versus Colby Lewis (10-8, 4.14)

Josh Tomlin has continued his success as the Indians most reliable starting pitcher. His last outing, while not a thing of beauty, resulted in his 11th W for the season. Tomlin continues to pound the strike zone and attack hitters with his pitch to contact, reduce/eliminate free passes approach to pitching. His streak of five plus inning starts to begin his major league career continues. Lewis' last outing against the Tigers was less than stellar. He was able to pitch into the fifth inning, but was pulled after allowing five runs on 10 hits including a homer. Lewis has been better on the road than in the friendly confines of the Ballpark in Arlington where he is only 4-4 with a 5.32 ERA. Neither pitcher has faced their opponents in the 2011 season.

NOTES:
• Outfielder Michael Brantley, who has missed the last two games with a sore right wrist, will take batting practice with the team on Friday. Manager Manny Acta will wait until then to see if Brantley can play or if he needs more time off.
• Michael Young is five hits from 2,000 for his career.
• The Rangers have a .511 slugging percentage at home. They are also hitting .294 in Arlington. They are tied with the Yankees for homers at home, with 85
• Cleveland's rookie Jason Kipnis has a five-game hitting streak, including four straight games with a home run, a stretch that ended on Thursday. The homer run tied the franchise rookie record (Al Rosen, 1950) and made Kipnis the first player in Major League history to homer in four consecutive games within two weeks of his debut.
• The Ranger's Josh Hamilton(notes), who went 2 for 5 on Thursday, has gone 11 for 26 with three homers and eight RBIs during a six-game hitting streak against the Cleveland Indians.

Central Division Watch:
-Detroit visits Kansas City for a three game series starting Friday. The Tigers Rick Porcello will face off against Felipe "I don't get no runs scored for me" Paulino. Justin Verlander and Danny Duffy go in Saturday's tilt, and Mad Max Scherzer faces Bruce Chen in the Sunday matinee.
-the CWSox visit the Twins for a three game AL Central battle for third place. The CWSox need to sweep and get the Indians and Tigers to get swept for them to regain a foothold in the AL Central race as it enters the dog days of August.
Last edited by GeronimoSon on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Re: Cleveland Indians At Texas Rangers, August 5-7, 2011

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks, I was just about to start a series thread, but it seems like I've been working just about all of the 48 hours since I got back in town. I'll be happy to just stay awake for all of Jimenez's innings tonight.

The Indians have played the Rangers 4 times this season and are still looking for their first win against them. In fact, they didn't even score in either of the last two games against Texas. They're going to have find a way to win a couple games this weekend, because the Tigers-Royals series looks about as lopsided as it gets.

With the injuries and ineffectiveness of the offense, the Indians need to see more of the Pronk who showed up last night. In his prior 11 games, Hafner hit .154/.195/.282, and he's still only hitting .213/.308/.350 over his last 22 games.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Pork Chop Pough wrote:Thanks, I was just about to start a series thread, but it seems like I've been working just about all of the 48 hours since I got back in town. I'll be happy to just stay awake for all of Jimenez's innings tonight.

The Indians have played the Rangers 4 times this season and are still looking for their first win against them. In fact, they didn't even score in either of the last two games against Texas. They're going to have find a way to win a couple games this weekend, because the Tigers-Royals series looks about as lopsided as it gets.

With the injuries and ineffectiveness of the offense, the Indians need to see more of the Pronk who showed up last night. In his prior 11 games, Hafner hit .154/.195/.282, and he's still only hitting .213/.308/.350 over his last 22 games.
Yeah.. I've been busier than a one footed butt kicker this week.. when I had the chance to post a series thread..it was too late.. I dropped the ball.. and there it remained.. :nea:
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby Prosecutor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Not looking good with two quality lefties to start off with, both of whom could easily shut out the Tribe. Then on Sunday it's Josh Tomlin and his propensity to give up dingers pitching against the team that leads the AL in home runs. I'll be more than happy if the Tribe gets out of this with one win.

If the Tribe is to win the Central this year, they need to beat up on the Tigers, Twins, and White Sox. But any games they can steal from the Red Sox and Rangers will be valuable, so let's get another one.

Jimenez has only pitched one inning in the last ten days or so. I'm expecting he'll be amped up for his first start and, along with the layoff, it might affect him negatively. Wish I could be more optimistic, but the Rangers scare the crap out of me. I can see why they were in the WS last year.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:22 am

A few note/ observations on the game...

-Both Asdrubal Cabrera's & Matt Laporta's lack of focus was what ended the game.. Andrus never broke stride as he rounded third base on Hamilton routine grounder (should have been an easy out, but, Droobs waited back for a hop & Hamilton really busted his ass to get to first base)..

-Rick Manning couldn't be more wrong about the wild pitch by Raffy Perez in the dirt. YES, is was a wild pitch, not a passed ball.. It wasn't even a close call. He stated that Carlos was attempting to block the ball incorrectly. Well, anyone who's ever been behind the plate knows that a ball that hits the dirt can deflected anywhere.. Getting any part of you body, hands, arms, the umpire's legs, etc... is a factor of technique and luck. Santana moved to his left as Raffy's slider bore down and to his left..the ball bounced up and toward the first base side of the plate, caught Carlos in the inside of his right thigh and rolled about 15 feet away.. A lesser catcher would be going to the back stop to pick that one up..it was a wicked nasty bounce..

-Jason Donald needs to play more. PERIOD

-Toooo many missed opportunities by the Tribe, again & taking advantage of the opportunity that presented itself in the 9th inning by the Rangers... Michael Young's two out two run blast was a good hitter taking advantage of a mistake pitch. Chris Perez did what he's done all season.. He challenged Young, and Young won that time. Part of the game..

-Ubaldo had a "meh" type game.. he really didn't dominate or get shelled.. It was surprising to see him throw as many sliders, changeups and splitters. His gas is there. 97-96 mph fastballs are a rare and wonderful thing. It would be interesting to see how Lou Marson calls a game with Ubaldo on the hill. Perhaps in his next outing..

-Brutally warm in Texas. Look for some of the regulars to have the night off. That kind of heat is soooo debilitating to player's energy level.. We should see another classic Indians/Rangers battle tonight.. FAUSTO!! on the hill.
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Santana is lacking behind the plate. I'm not so fast as Tom Hamilton to say he's lazy especially with that heat. From what I saw Santana looked lackadaisical in his response, that's 2 nights in a row too. Btw I have played C and P too. Getting your body behind the ball is essential to keeping the ball in front of you as a C pretty basic fundamentals block the ball with your entire body.

Wasn't overly impressed with Jimenez but not disappointed either. It was easy to see his stuff, definately an interesting arm to have in the top of the rotation. I kept thinking while Jimenez was pitching that Marson could be a difference as a battery mate with Jimenez. Jimenez allows alot of stolen bases too and Marson guns about half down. Marson doesn't offer much with the stick but has gotten better and is very solid on D. Santana however is the clubs primary C so there is good reason for Santana to be behind the plate with Jimenez on the mound.
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 pm

really sad if an error costs Carmona. He has been excellent tonight
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Dumbest team in baseball right now....losing yesterdays game the way they did was the back breaker for me already...if they manage to lose this 1 too I'm about ready to give up in my mind (my stupid heart never does though, lol)

Seriously, anyone know how many losses despite QS from SP teams have? The Indians HAVE TO be top5 there, right?
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby ndog » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Chiz, Brantley and Kipnis coming through bigtime tonight in the 9th.
ndog
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 pm

It was nice to watch the top of the 9th tonight. This team has so much resilence I have to wonder if Detroit realizes this race will be going until late in the final week of the season.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby jellis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 pm

so glad we kept the bats, sad to see the arms go but glad Chiz and Kip were kept untouchable
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Perez just got screwed
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 am

Wow, for once the luck swings our way. I don't think we could have won that game if Nelson Cruz didn't drop that flyball.

And boy is Chris Perez really wild. After the wild pitch I think I would have just put Young on (1st was open anyways) and have Joe Smith come in. All's well that ends well I guess.

This was almost the straw that broke the camel's back. Finally we catch a break.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:10 am

entertheshoe wrote:Wow, for once the luck swings our way. I don't think we could have won that game if Nelson Cruz didn't drop that flyball.

And boy is Chris Perez really wild. After the wild pitch I think I would have just put Young on (1st was open anyways) and have Joe Smith come in. All's well that ends well I guess.

This was almost the straw that broke the camel's back. Finally we catch a break.

Honestly I think hes getting rattled,and after getting screwed on what should have been the third out he came unwound a little worried about him and high pressure
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:19 am

[quote="GeronimoSon"]-Jason Donald needs to play more. PERIODquote]

I agree, but where? He's the starting 2b for alot of teams and one hellava utility guy for the Tribe.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 am

Tribe scores 14 runs in two games against top lefties Holland and Wilson and their closer Perez. Wow. I never saw that coming.

Santana was embarrassd by striking out four times against Boston so he came in for some early BP and really turned things around. In the last week or so I've noticed him going to the opposite field more. That 3-run homer to right off Holland was a great example. If he can continue to wait longer on the ball and take it the other way, using the entire field, his production will skyrocket.

Carmona was extremely impressive last night shutting out the Rangers for six innings in 106 degree heat. He got out of two early jams with no damage by making good pitches with runners on base. He was victimized in the 7th by a bloop single, a ground ball that found a hole, the error by ACab, the questionable call on the steal of second, and then his decision to take the sure out at first rather than throw the runner out at 3rd, which set up the sac fly. But overall his off-speed pitch was working and his fastball was alive and he kept it down.

I've been saying all along that if the Tribe is to make a run they need Santana and Carmona to step up, and it's definitely happening. And Kipnis - five HRs in seven games from a rookie 2nd baseman! I think his hitting success is starting to rub off on Chiz.

I won't believe it if the Tribe sends Shelly Duncan back to the minors instead of DFA'ing Kearns when Hannahan gets back.

3-3 so far on this brutal road trip with all three losses by one run. Not to mention Choo and Sizemore are out and Brantley missed a few games. That's the entire starting outfield. AFAIC, this trip has been a success no matter what happens today. Tomlin is going to have to bring his A game against this lineup in this ballpark, and we're going to need some more runs.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby Chip Davis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, I have a bad feeling about Tomlin starting tonight. It could get ugly real quickly, but then again maybe he throws 7 innings of shutout ball.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Tribe scores 14 runs in two games against top lefties Holland and Wilson and their closer Perez. Wow. I never saw that coming.

Santana was embarrassd by striking out four times against Boston so he came in for some early BP and really turned things around. In the last week or so I've noticed him going to the opposite field more. That 3-run homer to right off Holland was a great example. If he can continue to wait longer on the ball and take it the other way, using the entire field, his production will skyrocket.

Carmona was extremely impressive last night shutting out the Rangers for six innings in 106 degree heat. He got out of two early jams with no damage by making good pitches with runners on base. He was victimized in the 7th by a bloop single, a ground ball that found a hole, the error by ACab, the questionable call on the steal of second, and then his decision to take the sure out at first rather than throw the runner out at 3rd, which set up the sac fly. But overall his off-speed pitch was working and his fastball was alive and he kept it down.

I've been saying all along that if the Tribe is to make a run they need Santana and Carmona to step up, and it's definitely happening. And Kipnis - five HRs in seven games from a rookie 2nd baseman! I think his hitting success is starting to rub off on Chiz.

I won't believe it if the Tribe sends Shelly Duncan back to the minors instead of DFA'ing Kearns when Hannahan gets back.

3-3 so far on this brutal road trip with all three losses by one run. Not to mention Choo and Sizemore are out and Brantley missed a few games. That's the entire starting outfield. AFAIC, this trip has been a success no matter what happens today. Tomlin is going to have to bring his A game against this lineup in this ballpark, and we're going to need some more runs.

Looks about right to me. Don't know how good my memory is but isn't this the first time Texas has seen Tomlin? He has consistently pitched better against teams facing him for the first time from what I see. Other than that, his proclivity for giving up HRs does not bode well in this park against this lineup. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Chip Davis wrote:Yeah, I have a bad feeling about Tomlin starting tonight. It could get ugly real quickly, but then again maybe he throws 7 innings of shutout ball.

He might just take over the HR lead, just thankful its not a day game
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:22 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:Looks about right to me. Don't know how good my memory is but isn't this the first time Texas has seen Tomlin? He has consistently pitched better against teams facing him for the first time from what I see. Other than that, his proclivity for giving up HRs does not bode well in this park against this lineup. :pleasantry:

Yes, this will be the first time the Rangers face Tomlin. Oddly enough, after tonight, the one team in the AL that will still have never faced Tomlin is the White Sox. Another reason for optimism tonight is that Colby Lewis has a case of gopheritis much worse than Tomlin. The 27 home runs that Lewis has allowed are 6 more than other pitcher in the league.
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:08 pm

I like our chances to put some runs up against Colby Lewis. His home ERA is 5.32 and he's given up 8 earned runs in his last two starts, lasting only 10.1 innings.

Lefties are hitting .290/.879 against him versus .229/.599 for right-handed hitters, so Manny will definitely load up with lefties tonight. Since his weak points are pitching in Arlington against left-handed hitters, we should be able to get to him.

Could be a high scoring game, but like inkslinger pointed out, Tomlin usually does well against teams who haven't seen him before.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Detroit has lost the finale to the Royals in KC. Frenchy gunned down a not so fast Jhonny P at 3rd base & dirks made the last out.. so the Indians enter the finale with the Rangers with a chance to gain a full game entering the series after the off day on Monday for both clubs.

Santana has been on fire in the last two series (with the exception of the Wakefield start). He continues to mature into a slugger that also plays catcher and first base..

While Colby Lewis has pitched poorly at Arlington, he does have a pretty good record against the Indians. The Indians will need to score early and often.. wouldn't it be nice to actually have a game that doesn't go to the last at bat for a change?..

Go Tribe... :s_thumbsup
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:45 pm

With Detroit losing today, it would be HUGE to get a win tonight and go from 2 games back on August 1st (with 4 games @ Boston and 3 games @ Texas) to just 3 games back (especially with Detroit playing Texas at home and KC on the road in that stretch). Go Tribe!!
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Magneticnorth451 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm blocked from watching tonights game on MLB.TV, probably because the Yankees and Red Sox are playing on ESPN.

That's what I get for living in New England.
Magneticnorth451
Draft Prospect

Postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Magneticnorth451 wrote:I'm blocked from watching tonights game on MLB.TV, probably because the Yankees and Red Sox are playing on ESPN.

That's what I get for living in New England.

I was wondering why it wasn't on Extra Innings. I guess I'll just follow it on Gameview. Tomlin is pitching one hell of a game. I thought the Tribe would be able to do more against Lewis, though.
Prosecutor
Single-A Phenom

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 pm

God I love Josh Tomlin. 23 batters faced out of a minimum 21 through 7 innings. Two things that I love about him which I don't think get enough attention are his fielding and his ability to hold the running game. 85 pitches, let's hope he can close this one out, he deserves it.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:23 pm

entertheshoe wrote:God I love Josh Tomlin. 23 batters faced out of a minimum 21 through 7 innings. Two things that I love about him which I don't think get enough attention are his fielding and his ability to hold the running game. 85 pitches, let's hope he can close this one out, he deserves it.

something about a 3 run lead in this series has never held
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:27 pm

pen is really evening out of late
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:29 pm

This sucks so hard :shout:
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:30 pm

entertheshoe wrote:God I love Josh Tomlin. 23 batters faced out of a minimum 21 through 7 innings. Two things that I love about him which I don't think get enough attention are his fielding and his ability to hold the running game. 85 pitches, let's hope he can close this one out, he deserves it.

7 innings were enough. Smith should have been allowed to start the inning with no one on.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Bearcatbob wrote:

7 innings were enough. Smith should have been allowed to start the inning with no one on.

Bob

he was dominating no way you pull him there
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:35 pm

jellis wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:

Bob

Agreed. That was the 1st time that ANYONE on the Rangers got to 2nd base. No reason to hit the panic button and make it worse. If there's anyone that I trust with men on base, it's Tomlin. He at least would have gotten ONE out.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby Tondo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Always the HR risk with Josh, so Im ok with pulling him...I screamed to pull Smith though after the wild pitch walk to Kinsler....he CLEARLY didn't have it...Acta or Belcher should have intervened right there

What a waste of another brilliant QS by Tomlin...BOR my ass :s_tongue
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Tondo wrote:Always the HR risk with Josh, so Im ok with pulling him...I screamed to pull Smith though after the wild pitch walk to Kinsler....he CLEARLY didn't have it...Acta or Belcher should have intervened right there

lets wait till he can do it twice in a row
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby Tondo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:46 pm

jellis wrote:
Tondo wrote:Always the HR risk with Josh, so Im ok with pulling him...I screamed to pull Smith though after the wild pitch walk to Kinsler....he CLEARLY didn't have it...Acta or Belcher should have intervened right there

He did it in 16 of his 23 starts, that's a 70% QS...by simple math, he already did it back to back

Anyway, we've been there before....just when you thought there couldn't be any more devastating losses...man this is a real bummer...gotta win the DET series now or it's over
Tondo
Single-A Phenom

Postby MadThinker88 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Tondo wrote:
jellis wrote:

He did it in 16 of his 23 starts, that's a 70% QS...by simple math, he already did it back to back

Anyway, we've been there before....just when you thought there couldn't be any more devastating losses...man this is a real bummer...gotta win the DET series now or it's over

Considering the Tribe is throwing Masterson, Jimenez & Carmona against Detroit and not-Verlander, not-Verlander & Verlnder, I like the Tribe's chances to win the series.
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby Bearcatbob » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:06 pm

jellis wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:

Bob

When one walks the lead off hitter late in a game - it is a solid indication of time for a change.

bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom

Postby GeronimoSon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am

MadThinker88 wrote:
Tondo wrote:
jellis wrote:

Considering the Tribe is throwing Masterson, Jimenez & Carmona against Detroit and not-Verlander, not-Verlander & Verlnder, I like the Tribe's chances to win the series.

The phrasing of the result of the series finale against the Rangers & Tomlin's performance, "..a.waste of a brilliant QS.." doesn't really set well. A starting pitcher who goes seven plus innings while giving his team a chance at a W, is never a waste. Perhaps it's just semantics and hyperbole...

As far as BOR or MOR or FOR go, they're just labels. The Indians will be sending Masterson, Jimenez, and Fausto against the Tigers in this crucial mid week, late season match up. These three pitchers are 1,2, and 3, respectively on the pecking order. Tomlin represents the fourth spot..or a MOR/BOR SP label.

Winning the series would mean a single game gained. Losing the series would mean a single game lost in the standings. A sweep would mean gaining three games.. getting swept would mean devastation. Let's hope for at least a series win.. Verlander is going to be tough..

Regarding when Joe Smith should have been pulled.. there are times when a Manager wants to see if a pitcher can work their way out of a jam.. there are other times, like last night, when it's too late in the season to be seeing what a pitcher can or can't do.. Joe Smith entered the game with a three run lead and a runner on first base..as soon as the tying run got on base, imho, he should have been sitting in the dugout hoping one of his Bullpen Mafia Mates were able to clean up his mess.. ahh.. but second guessing always has the advantage of hindsight..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie

Postby hoof32 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 am

Bearcatbob wrote:

Bob

This is complete BS, Bob. Manny Acta's a good manager, but Tomlin could've worked out of that jam.

That said, we did well just to take 1 out of three from this crew. They're pretty good.
hoof32
Draft Prospect

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Tondo wrote:gotta win the DET series now or it's over

Last time I looked at the calender (which I admit, was a whole 5 seconds ago) it was August 8th, not September 8th. While this is a huge series, still have 9 games left after this against the Tigers. If we lose this series, the season is FAR from over.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Postby Hermie13 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:07 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
jellis wrote:
Bearcatbob wrote:

Bob

Agreed. That was the 1st time that ANYONE on the Rangers got to 2nd base. No reason to hit the panic button and make it worse. If there's anyone that I trust with men on base, it's Tomlin. He at least would have gotten ONE out.

Tomlin very likely does get one out there if left in....then again, he very easily could have given up a 3-run HR. Tomlin pitched very well, but did walk 3 guys (tied for season high). Acta and Belcher obviously saw that Tomlin was tiring (102 degree temps will do that).

I agree with the decision to start Tomlin that inning, but also agree with the decision to pull him. Smith has to do his job there.
Hermie13
MLB All Star

Return to Beyond The Minors