RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Thome and 600

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Thome and 600

Postby GhostofTedCox » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Any day now Jim Thome will enter the elite 600 HR club. He is number 8 on the all-time HR list and has a chance to get to number 7 if he plays one more season. There may not be another 600 HR guy in our lifetime. Pujols has a shot, but that's about it.
I remember when he was coming up (I believe with Canton-Akron), he was just a skinny kid with a nice swing. Obviously he filled out quite a bit as an adult and has become one of the greatest power hitters in the game.

Of all the indians from the golden age (90's early 00's), I wouldn't have guessed he would be the first one in the HOF (as an Indian). Belle, Manny, Lofton, even Baerga briefly, all stated their cases. But one by one, they could not sustain it. Omar will make it, but not as fast as Thome.

Thome was the one that got away. I don't really blame the FO for not hanging on to him. They did make a legitimate offer, but there always will be somebody with more money. At the time I think there was pressure from MLBPA to always take the most money. I think it's time for Indian fans to move on, and give Jim a standing O for his achievements next time he comes to town. It may be his last.

Congrats, Jim. :clapping:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Re: Thome and 600

Postby daingean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:57 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Any day now Jim Thome will enter the elite 600 HR club. He is number 8 on the all-time HR list and has a chance to get to number 7 if he plays one more season. There may not be another 600 HR guy in our lifetime. Pujols has a shot, but that's about it.
I remember when he was coming up (I believe with Canton-Akron), he was just a skinny kid with a nice swing. Obviously he filled out quite a bit as an adult and has become one of the greatest power hitters in the game.

Of all the indians from the golden age (90's early 00's), I wouldn't have guessed he would be the first one in the HOF (as an Indian). Belle, Manny, Lofton, even Baerga briefly, all stated their cases. But one by one, they could not sustain it. Omar will make it, but not as fast as Thome.

Thome was the one that got away. I don't really blame the FO for not hanging on to him. They did make a legitimate offer, but there always will be somebody with more money. At the time I think there was pressure from MLBPA to always take the most money. I think it's time for Indian fans to move on, and give Jim a standing O for his achievements next time he comes to town. It may be his last.

Congrats, Jim. :clapping:

Thome was always one of my favorites ever since his breakout season at Burlington (would have won the triple crown that year but got promoted). I think his move to Philly was more of a better chance to win and Chawlie being there.

1. new stadium
2. Indians were starting a new rebuild

The Indians' offer for him was comparable but Philly just had more to offer then.
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby go_tribe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

We lucked out that he went to Philly, we brought in Hafner who ended up being much better during the years we woulda been stuck with Thome.
go_tribe
Undrafted Free Agent

Postby jellis » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 pm

as I recall it wasnt money it was years, philly offered more, which does in turn relate to money but salary wasn't as big as a 5th year I recall
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby daingean » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:18 pm

600 tonight......Congrats Jimmy
daingean
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby GhostofTedCox » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Congrats to Jim.

and against the Tigers no less! :clapping:
GhostofTedCox
Single-A Phenom

Postby jellis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:34 pm

GhostofTedCox wrote:Congrats to Jim.

and against the Tigers no less! :clapping:

He has been gone but he is still helping the Tribe
jellis
Triple-A Stud

Postby entertheshoe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

As nice as it would have been if it came in Cleveland and we gave him a standing ovation (a solo home run after the Tribe is leading 15-0 of course) doing it against Detroit is just as good.

:drinks: Cheers to Jim.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller

Postby criznit2009 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Great to see Mr. Thome reach some a tremendous milestone.... Beating up the tigers at the same time no less. Congrats Jim
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot

Postby osueddy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 pm

From Canton-Akron to Cooperstown. Fun watching that 20 year run. Congrats!
osueddy
Draft Prospect

Return to Beyond The Minors