RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Changes for Friday?

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:36 pm

Wow what a differenc a year makes....... Good luck Jared! Would have liked to see ya atleast once in a CLE uni..Hopefully you get a another shot somewhere.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby A.Zajac » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Is it possible that Kipnis sees some time in the OF??? I know it is against everything in the "plan" - but short on OFers for the moment and he is easily BETTER than Valby is in the OF.. I am sure he is being brought up to play 2B but - I for one would not be surprised to see him start a game or 2 in the OF.... Until we bring in the trade...


Why? If Brantley is alright, we'll still have 4.... Brantley, Buck, EZ, Kearns.. Granted those aren't great options, but options nevertheless.
Follow me on Twitter!
@AndrewIPI
User avatar
A.Zajac
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 am
Location: Struthers, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby criznit2009 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:53 pm

A.Zajac wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Is it possible that Kipnis sees some time in the OF??? I know it is against everything in the "plan" - but short on OFers for the moment and he is easily BETTER than Valby is in the OF.. I am sure he is being brought up to play 2B but - I for one would not be surprised to see him start a game or 2 in the OF.... Until we bring in the trade...


Why? If Brantley is alright, we'll still have 4.... Brantley, Buck, EZ, Kearns.. Granted those aren't great options, but options nevertheless.


My bad - I though Buck was out - he's not.... Should be though lol.
criznit2009
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Flat-out released Goedert?!

I find that hard to believe... DFA him, perfect understandable.... but release him?

Surely the wording has to be wrong there.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Nevermind, Jordan Bastian tweeting that Goedert was in fact DFA'd.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:05 pm

criznit2009 wrote:Wow what a differenc a year makes....... Good luck Jared! Would have liked to see ya atleast once in a CLE uni..Hopefully you get a another shot somewhere.


It's hard to feel sorry for Goedert..... because of the roster crunch at the start of the year (adding Hannahan, Kearns, etc) he spent a large portion of the year on the Major League 60-day DL picking up a ML salary!

I'm sure he'll pass thru waivers and stay with the Clippers.... it's hard to see anyone wanting to add him to their 40-man when he's a .200 hitter in AAA.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby ACrank » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:15 pm

entertheshoe wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:If indeed Little Luis is heading back to Columbus (GOOD).. then welcome back Shelly Duncan.. He's not very good defensively in the OF..nor does he hit for much of an average.. etc.. but he's still way better than Valmalo.. If it's not Shelly, then the weekend could become the major league debut of Jason Kipnis.. at least we know that if an emergency exists and an OF'er is needed.. Kipnis has been out there more than 15 games in his life...

As far as the KC guys go, Frenchy / The Melk Man.. no chance on Frenchy (GOOD).. and there is an outside chance the Melk Man has Chief Wahoo on his sleeve.. doubt it on both.. doubt is times two for Frenchy.. Trades of this type aren't necessarily a good thing for the Indians.. It wouldn't be a surpise to see the Royals ask for one of the Indians catching prospects in trade..


If Valbuena is heading down I don't know if we would leave the infield depth at OCab, ACab, Chis, and Hannahan, unless Hannahan has some 2nd base skills that I don't know about.


Hannahan played second when he was in the Mariners system.
ACrank
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:30 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:If indeed Little Luis is heading back to Columbus (GOOD).. then welcome back Shelly Duncan.. He's not very good defensively in the OF..nor does he hit for much of an average.. etc.. but he's still way better than Valmalo.. If it's not Shelly, then the weekend could become the major league debut of Jason Kipnis.. at least we know that if an emergency exists and an OF'er is needed.. Kipnis has been out there more than 15 games in his life..


Well it obviously was never going to be Shelly Duncan since that would have been against ML rules.

Remember, Duncan was optioned to AAA after Satruday's game (or was it on Sunday?) to make room for Gomez. He has to stay down for 10 days (unless someone goes on the DL). Only way Duncan can be brought up right now is if Buck is put on the DL.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
criznit2009 wrote:Wow what a differenc a year makes....... Good luck Jared! Would have liked to see ya atleast once in a CLE uni..Hopefully you get a another shot somewhere.


It's hard to feel sorry for Goedert..... because of the roster crunch at the start of the year (adding Hannahan, Kearns, etc) he spent a large portion of the year on the Major League 60-day DL picking up a ML salary!

I'm sure he'll pass thru waivers and stay with the Clippers.... it's hard to see anyone wanting to add him to their 40-man when he's a .200 hitter in AAA.


Yeah, hard to feel sorry for anyone who's job is to play a game.


I agree, I think he passes thru waivers. Bad defensively and not hitting a lick, lots of those guys around. Then again, was surprised the Rockies grabbed Hodges last year (though we got him back), so guess you never know.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Bearcatbob » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 pm

We have change. Now we need an OF.

Bob
Bearcatbob
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:10 am

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby indianinkslinger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:41 pm

The Indians can retty much make changes at will just by moving Choo and Sizemore to the 60 not to mention the getting rid of Buck, Kearns or Duncan each creates another spot. Same for Durbin.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:52 pm

indianinkslinger wrote:The Indians can retty much make changes at will just by moving Choo and Sizemore to the 60 not to mention the getting rid of Buck, Kearns or Duncan each creates another spot. Same for Durbin.


Recent reports have Choo possibly back before 60 days. Probably why Goedert was DFAed instead of Choo being moved for Kipnis. Though may just be wishful thinking.

But 4-6 weeks means Grady should be back before 60 days, so not likely that move is made (6 weeks is less than 60 days by the way, even if you add in time missed before the surgery it's less than 60 days).

The other 4 make sense, but don't think we get rid of Kearns (though I'd be glad to).
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby GeronimoSon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:If indeed Little Luis is heading back to Columbus (GOOD).. then welcome back Shelly Duncan.. He's not very good defensively in the OF..nor does he hit for much of an average.. etc.. but he's still way better than Valmalo.. If it's not Shelly, then the weekend could become the major league debut of Jason Kipnis.. at least we know that if an emergency exists and an OF'er is needed.. Kipnis has been out there more than 15 games in his life..


Well it obviously was never going to be Shelly Duncan since that would have been against ML rules.

Remember, Duncan was optioned to AAA after Satruday's game (or was it on Sunday?) to make room for Gomez. He has to stay down for 10 days (unless someone goes on the DL). Only way Duncan can be brought up right now is if Buck is put on the DL.
Well it obviously could have been an injured player being DL'd thereby making Shelly a viable candidate to be recalled.. Buck with concussion symptoms?.. Brantley with more than just the stomach flu.. Durbin with a nasty splinter in his ass from being glued to the bench for the foreseeable future..

It's obvious this rule has been used and abused in MLB for years... The more obvious something is..the less likely it remains obvious...
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm

GeronimoSon wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:
GeronimoSon wrote:If indeed Little Luis is heading back to Columbus (GOOD).. then welcome back Shelly Duncan.. He's not very good defensively in the OF..nor does he hit for much of an average.. etc.. but he's still way better than Valmalo.. If it's not Shelly, then the weekend could become the major league debut of Jason Kipnis.. at least we know that if an emergency exists and an OF'er is needed.. Kipnis has been out there more than 15 games in his life..


Well it obviously was never going to be Shelly Duncan since that would have been against ML rules.

Remember, Duncan was optioned to AAA after Satruday's game (or was it on Sunday?) to make room for Gomez. He has to stay down for 10 days (unless someone goes on the DL). Only way Duncan can be brought up right now is if Buck is put on the DL.
Well it obviously could have been an injured player being DL'd thereby making Shelly a viable candidate to be recalled.. Buck with concussion symptoms?.. Brantley with more than just the stomach flu.. Durbin with a nasty splinter in his ass from being glued to the bench for the foreseeable future..

It's obvious this rule has been used and abused in MLB for years... The more obvious something is..the less likely it remains obvious...


Um, you said if it is luis Valbuena heading back to Columbus (um, if he was going to the DL, he wouldn't be going back to C-bu) then welcome back Shelly. What's obvious is that you forgot the rule (no biggie), but don't act like you thought Duncan was coming up for someone going on the DL.
Last edited by Hermie13 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby bmonnig » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Tondo wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:The latest Jason Kipnis tweet

ITS TIME!!!!


http://twitter.com/#!/TheJK_Kid


Does that say it all?!


Strange timing, he's in a slump at the plate right now...still exciting, can't wait to see his ABs


They did the same thing with Phelps. Do they place much stock in how a guy is playing at the time of a call up?
bmonnig
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 am

bmonnig wrote:
Tondo wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:The latest Jason Kipnis tweet

ITS TIME!!!!


http://twitter.com/#!/TheJK_Kid


Does that say it all?!


Strange timing, he's in a slump at the plate right now...still exciting, can't wait to see his ABs


They did the same thing with Phelps. Do they place much stock in how a guy is playing at the time of a call up?


You'd have to think the Indians would have loved having Jason Kipnis coming to Cleveland riding a 15 game hitting streak while collecting his third minor league player of the week award.. but, after the disaster in Minnesota with Valbuena on the field in ANY capacity (hitting, fielding, running, executing any play...etc..) the Indians may be reacting just a bit. Well, truth be told, the Indians, like everyone (except for at least one person who shall remain anonymous) who has ever watched a Major League Baseball game could see, they had to do something So, the "stock in how a guy is playing".. has to be considered, but so should what the intended role he's going to play.. If you recall, when Phelps came up.. he had one hit (and his first MLB RBI) against the Yankees in six games he appeared over a ten day stretch.. It was after that, when he was started five of the next six games ( 8 for 25 including his first major league homer) that he was hitting a bit.. It didn't last..as he got only one game with multiple at bats before being sent down..

Was Cord pressing?.. yes..

Was Cord ready?.. no..

His defense was not at all like what we've seen in Columbus. He needed more time to regain his confidence.

The way Manny Acta uses Kipnis in THIS, his first exposure to the BIG LEAGUES, needs to be watched closely. The ideal situation would be if Kipnis understands that he's here to platoon with long time vet Orlando Cabrera. He's here to learn the game at the highest level.. this should be a very interesting weekend and start to the new week against the CWSox and the Angels respectively.. five righties in a a row including Dan Haren & Weaver on Monday and Tuesday....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 am

bmonnig wrote:
Tondo wrote:Strange timing, he's in a slump at the plate right now...still exciting, can't wait to see his ABs


They did the same thing with Phelps. Do they place much stock in how a guy is playing at the time of a call up?


Timing actually makes some sense. Off day today, so promote the kid, let him soak it in, then get to Cleveland and get ready for the ChiSox. Odds are the Tribe had this day in mind for a while for a Kipnis callup. He had all the travel of the Futures game and the AAA All-Star game a week ago. Let him settle in at Columbus the numbers weren't great but still looked fine at the plate.

Indians needed a boost to the starting lineup. Orlando can now move to the bench (against against all righties). :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby entertheshoe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:47 am

GeronimoSon wrote:
bmonnig wrote:
Tondo wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:The latest Jason Kipnis tweet

ITS TIME!!!!


http://twitter.com/#!/TheJK_Kid


Does that say it all?!


Strange timing, he's in a slump at the plate right now...still exciting, can't wait to see his ABs


They did the same thing with Phelps. Do they place much stock in how a guy is playing at the time of a call up?


You'd have to think the Indians would have loved having Jason Kipnis coming to Cleveland riding a 15 game hitting streak while collecting his third minor league player of the week award.. but, after the disaster in Minnesota with Valbuena on the field in ANY capacity (hitting, fielding, running, executing any play...etc..) the Indians may be reacting just a bit. Well, truth be told, the Indians, like everyone (except for at least one person who shall remain anonymous) who has ever watched a Major League Baseball game could see, they had to do something So, the "stock in how a guy is playing".. has to be considered, but so should what the intended role he's going to play.. If you recall, when Phelps came up.. he had one hit (and his first MLB RBI) against the Yankees in six games he appeared over a ten day stretch.. It was after that, when he was started five of the next six games ( 8 for 25 including his first major league homer) that he was hitting a bit.. It didn't last..as he got only one game with multiple at bats before being sent down..

Was Cord pressing?.. yes..

Was Cord ready?.. no..

His defense was not at all like what we've seen in Columbus. He needed more time to regain his confidence.

The way Manny Acta uses Kipnis in THIS, his first exposure to the BIG LEAGUES, needs to be watched closely. The ideal situation would be if Kipnis understands that he's here to platoon with long time vet Orlando Cabrera. He's here to learn the game at the highest level.. this should be a very interesting weekend and start to the new week against the CWSox and the Angels respectively.. five righties in a a row including Dan Haren & Weaver on Monday and Tuesday....


I disagree with the bolded statement. The ideal situation is to hand Jason Kipnis the starting job, trade Orlando Cabrera, and have Jason Donald or Luis Valbuena be the backup/utility player. I don't think that a platoon benefits Jason Kipnis long term at all. And if we can base what will happen off of what already happened, Orlando won't react well to becoming a platoon player.

Besides, in AAA Kipnis was technically better versus lefties. Would be dumb to have him only face righties.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby Hermie13 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 am

entertheshoe wrote:I disagree with the bolded statement. The ideal situation is to hand Jason Kipnis the starting job, trade Orlando Cabrera, and have Jason Donald or Luis Valbuena be the backup/utility player. I don't think that a platoon benefits Jason Kipnis long term at all. And if we can base what will happen off of what already happened, Orlando won't react well to becoming a platoon player.

Besides, in AAA Kipnis was technically better versus lefties. Would be dumb to have him only face righties.


I agree and disagree. I agree, Kipnis shouldn't be in a straight up platoon with Cabrera. Should play 5-6 days a week regardless of the pitchers. Do think you should ease him in against some tougher lefties and still give OC at-bats. Plus, you could also give Kipnis some DH at-bats (been under the radar, but Hafner's righty/lefty splits are pretty big yet again).

While Kipnis was hitting lefties better, not sure that's the norm for him or just a fluke (though maybe it is the norm?)
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby hoof32 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 am

I have a hard time warming up to OCab... he hits a lot of weak ground balls, often for double plays... His fielding is inconsistant and about average, at best. Doesn't have any range...

Most troubling of all, is a suspect attitude. I sometimes wish the team would just drop him. I'm reminded of Brandon Phillips batting .165 and laying claim to second, based on his so-so fielding chops and gradual hitting improvement.

I'd like to see Kipnis playing 5-6 games a week. Kipnis can square up a baseball, OCab, not-so-much.

I don't care what the Tribe does with OCab. I'd be just fine with them moving on.

Cheers,
hoof32
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Changes for Friday?

Postby GeronimoSon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 pm

hoof32 wrote:I have a hard time warming up to OCab... he hits a lot of weak ground balls, often for double plays... His fielding is inconsistant and about average, at best. Doesn't have any range...

Most troubling of all, is a suspect attitude. I sometimes wish the team would just drop him. I'm reminded of Brandon Phillips batting .165 and laying claim to second, based on his so-so fielding chops and gradual hitting improvement.

I'd like to see Kipnis playing 5-6 games a week. Kipnis can square up a baseball, OCab, not-so-much.

I don't care what the Tribe does with OCab. I'd be just fine with them moving on.

Cheers,
I think the kid can learn from OCab.. learn a lot..learn how to be a ML'er..learn batters, pitchers, positioning.. etc etc.. For this purpose, he has a chance to be invaluable to Kipnis.. but, it's one of those two to tango kind of things.. if O-cabby has no desire to share.. then I'm with you.. I don't care what the Tribe does with OCab..I'd be just fine with the Indians moving on.... Nice drive way (nostrovia)..
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3904
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Previous

Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests