RSS Twitter Facebook YouTube
Expand Menu

Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Talk about the Cleveland Indians, Major League Baseball, and other sports.

Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby hoof32 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:37 pm

So who will replace 'FAUSTO!' in the rotation ['cos he'll be rehabbing 'til August]?

Jeanmar Gomez
Zach McCallister
David Huff
Scott Barnes

Probably Gomez, eh... :clapping:
hoof32
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:41 pm

hoof32 wrote:So who will replace 'FAUSTO!' in the rotation ['cos he'll be rehabbing 'til August]?

Jeanmar Gomez
Zach McCallister
David Huff
Scott Barnes

Probably Gomez, eh... :clapping:


hmm, probably too early on that. I'd say McAllister based off the columbus rotation (he went yesterday so better matches up with Carmona's next start than gomez). Would be interesting to see if the Tribe would give McAllister his first big league taste against his former organization too in the Yanks....
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby entertheshoe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Probably Gomez. If I'm the Tribe, I make a move soon for another bullpen arm, especially with Talbot on the mound tomorrow. If it's going to be Gomez, they'll need to pull him from his next start, which I believe is tomorrow. If he ends up starting for Columbus tomorrow, I think by process of elimination that leaves Huff or McAllister. Barnes is deserving but he's probably 4th on the list behind Gomez, McAllister, and Huff (in whichever order they are) because of seniority.
entertheshoe
Rookie Baller
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Hermie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:51 pm

If Carmona goes on the DL after the game the move that would be made is Perez off the bereavement list. Judy would just stay in Cleveland then for a few more days.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby hoof32 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Hermie13 wrote:If Carmona goes on the DL after the game the move that would be made is Perez off the bereavement list. Judy would just stay in Cleveland then for a few more days.


I like the Deep Thinkers and Philosophers around here!! :biggrin:
hoof32
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby hoof32 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I still think Jeanmar would get the ball for Fausto, based on experience and nasty fastball.

Hopefully, Gomez has been working on his secondary pitches... could be another Carrasco. :clapping:
hoof32
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Chip Davis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:47 pm

It will be Huff or Gomez IMO. Both have already pitched with the Indians and are pitching well at the moment. I'd personally like to see Huff get the call and be lights out. That would dramatically increase his value which could be extremely useful. I'm not sure that's the way to go while in contention though.
Chip Davis
Draft Prospect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby indianinkslinger » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:07 pm

Hermie13 wrote:If Carmona goes on the DL after the game the move that would be made is Perez off the bereavement list. Judy would just stay in Cleveland then for a few more days.

I suspect you are right about Judy. He probaby will got go down until after the team recovers from all the RPs used in the game today, especially if tomorrrow is one of Talbot's shorter starts. We will have to wait and see what transpires but it would not shock me if he gets a few more days after the Yankee visit just so the BP is not overworked. The Yankees have a way of getting to the BP. :pleasantry:

Very surprised if someone other than Gomez makes the move if there is one. Also would not shock me if he is here to stay this trip but that's another story.
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:29 pm

One has to think that Gomez or McAllister are the likely call up for replacing Carmona (if he is DL bound).
That said, I like the idea another poster wrote - maybe this is the opportunity to see if Huff has it all together again (finally).
MadThinker88
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Tondo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Should be Gomez...more consistent AND much better lately...McAllister has 14 ER in his last 30IP (5 starts), Gomez has 11 ER in his last 48.3. Also, McAllister struggles against lefties in AAA (.296), he would get crushed in the Majors...the more I think about this log jam in AAA the more I think we should trade McAllister or Barnes....me thinks their value is at an all time high and both are fly ball pitchers (Gomez AO/GO is better)

Gomez doesn't have Carrasco uspide but I like his developing consistency...don't forget, guy is just 23yo
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Hermie13 wrote:hmm, probably too early on that. I'd say McAllister based off the columbus rotation (he went yesterday so better matches up with Carmona's next start than gomez). Would be interesting to see if the Tribe would give McAllister his first big league taste against his former organization too in the Yanks....

I would think Jeanmar Gomez, but McAllister wouldn't face the Yankees anyway -- Carmona's spot comes up next against Toronto, and even if they call up McAllister, they'd certainly give him an extra day of rest rather than push Masterson's start back (and Masterson get's extra rest after that due to the all-star break).
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby indianinkslinger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:33 am

Pork Chop Pough wrote:
Hermie13 wrote:hmm, probably too early on that. I'd say McAllister based off the columbus rotation (he went yesterday so better matches up with Carmona's next start than gomez). Would be interesting to see if the Tribe would give McAllister his first big league taste against his former organization too in the Yanks....

I would think Jeanmar Gomez, but McAllister wouldn't face the Yankees anyway -- Carmona's spot comes up next against Toronto, and even if they call up McAllister, they'd certainly give him an extra day of rest rather than push Masterson's start back (and Masterson get's extra rest after that due to the all-star break).

It would not surprise me too much if the Indians limited Gomez' start to 50 pitches as an abundance of caution in case Carmona goes DL or even if he is unlikely to make his start Thursday. :pleasantry:
indianinkslinger
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby ironmike » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 am

Glad Manny Acta removed Carmona yesterday before he killed himself. Besides being hyper, Carmona does not appear to be very coordinated or athletic.
User avatar
ironmike
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby homerawayfromhome » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 am

Maybe in the offseason Manny Acta can suggest a new rule: a pinch runner from home to first for AL pitchers such as Carmona who can't / don't know how to run. :good:
homerawayfromhome
Triple-A Stud
 
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby GeronimoSon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:52 am

The non-acrobatic face flop will be a clip that will live in Fausto's mind for the rest of his life..poor guy, he looks so bad... and may have strained a quad in the tumble..

..but the real bad part is the ball that hit his pitching hand split the webbing between his fingers.. he will not be able to make his next start and won't be able to pitch in the All Star game..and I was so much looking forward to seeing him back in Arizona (hint: where the Indians minor league complex is and where he can work on NOT THROWING THAT SLIDER OVER THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE..)..

As far as who gets called up if, indeed, FAUSTO goes on the DL.. Huff n puff and blow the Blue Jays away....
GeronimoSon
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 3900
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Pork Chop Pough » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:14 am

Just a bit of irrelevant trivia: I believe I heard a few weeks back that the Indians are already the only team in baseball that hasn't used a left-handed starter this year.
User avatar
Pork Chop Pough
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby TonyIBI » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:47 am

With Gomez going today, will be interesting if he is pulled from start. He could still start today, but be on a limited pitch count and come back on short rest on Thurs when Fausto next starts. I believe the Indians had Gomez up on short rest earlier this year or last year one time.
User avatar
TonyIBI
MLB Rookie
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:51 am

Tondo wrote:Should be Gomez...more consistent AND much better lately...McAllister has 14 ER in his last 30IP (5 starts), Gomez has 11 ER in his last 48.3. Also, McAllister struggles against lefties in AAA (.296), he would get crushed in the Majors...the more I think about this log jam in AAA the more I think we should trade McAllister or Barnes....me thinks their value is at an all time high and both are fly ball pitchers (Gomez AO/GO is better)

Gomez doesn't have Carrasco uspide but I like his developing consistency...don't forget, guy is just 23yo


Much better lately? meh, in their last 10 starts Gomez has a 2.69 ERA in 67 innings, and McAllister has a 2.91 ERA in 65 innings. McAllister has 8 quality starts in those 10 (and 1 start was cut short due to rain where he went 4 innings gave up 0 runs). Gomez has only 6 quality starts in those 10 games.

Personally have no issue either coming up. McAllister being a flyball pitcher doesn't worry me. Tomlin is a flyball pitcher too and has worked out fine. Barnes since coming to Cleveland has actually been a slight groundball guy (though a better way to describe him is a strikeout pitcher).

Have no issue with moving one in the right deal, but disagree on their value being at its highest. you're talking about 2 former top 10 guys (top 5 in McAllister's case). They are pitching like many scouts thought they'd be pitching.
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:51 am

TonyIPI wrote:With Gomez going today, will be interesting if he is pulled from start. He could still start today, but be on a limited pitch count and come back on short rest on Thurs when Fausto next starts. I believe the Indians had Gomez up on short rest earlier this year or last year one time.


Think his ML debut was on 3 days rest? or one of them was
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 am

Carmona officially to the DL and Chris Perez activated from the bereavement list.

With the AS break coming up, Fausto may only miss one start (this is conjecture on my part on the basis of him only being out the 15 days).
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Tondo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:10 am

I classified "lately" myself...and I think the last 5 starts are closer to "lately" than some starts 2-3 months back, the "latest" trend clearly has Gomez as the "hotter" arm at the moment...McAllister had a great May but before and after he's been just "ok"...Gomez was and is more consistent any way you look at those 2, especially LATELY :s_tongue

Look, I like all 3 of Barnes, McAll and Gomez...and think they're all ML SPs...but for this particular season we need a solid 1 and there's a lot going in Gomez' direction, experience too...I think he makes the most sense. I also would like to keep them all....but reality is: we don't have the room for all 3 the next years in Cleveland...and of the 3 I'd keep Gomez as my 5th/6th Inn eater man (lowest perception value to boot), by default that makes 1 of Barnes/McAllister expendable...and since everyone is so eager to get a LHP into the rotation....McAllister. All 3 of their value are at their "highest" imho, simply because all 3 have fabulous seasons so far...

Also, of all 3 Gomez is best at keeping the ball inside the park...if Gomez had McAllisters BB-rate he'd be a no brainer, that's McAllisters point right there
Tondo
Single-A Phenom
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:11 am

Actually looking at it, Fausto would be eligable to come back from the DL on July 18th.

If he is able to come back at that point it would be perfect. His replacement would only need to make the one start before that date and then, on that date, the Tribe has a DH with the Twins.

They could start Fausto's replacement in game 1 and then, between the games, option him to AAA and activate Fausto from the DL.

Obviously this is all dependent on him only needing the 15 days.
dazindiansfanuk
Double-A Hot Shot
 
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Carmona to DL (I guess...)

Postby Hermie13 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 am

Tondo wrote:I classified "lately" myself...and I think the last 5 starts are closer to "lately" than some starts 2-3 months back, the "latest" trend clearly has Gomez as the "hotter" arm at the moment...McAllister had a great May but before and after he's been just "ok"...Gomez was and is more consistent any way you look at those 2, especially LATELY :s_tongue

Look, I like all 3 of Barnes, McAll and Gomez...and think they're all ML SPs...but for this particular season we need a solid 1 and there's a lot going in Gomez' direction, experience too...I think he makes the most sense. I also would like to keep them all....but reality is: we don't have the room for all 3 the next years in Cleveland...and of the 3 I'd keep Gomez as my 5th/6th Inn eater man (lowest perception value to boot), by default that makes 1 of Barnes/McAllister expendable...and since everyone is so eager to get a LHP into the rotation....McAllister. All 3 of their value are at their "highest" imho, simply because all 3 have fabulous seasons so far...

Also, of all 3 Gomez is best at keeping the ball inside the park...if Gomez had McAllisters BB-rate he'd be a no brainer, that's McAllisters point right there


McAllister's point isn't just his better walk rate, but better K-rate. Also a better BAA. When you go just the last 5 starts you are right, Gomez has been a bit better. Then again, each has given up more than 3 ER in a start only once in those 5 starts (McA did get rocked for 7 though). Personally just want to see McAllister as I was a huge, huge fan of the deal when it was announced we got him. If you watched him pitch last year you could tell that it was just a bump in the road. Feel he's got a solid ML career ahead of him.


Fair enough on the 'value' being at it's highest. Strongly disagree though. If McAllister (or Barnes) came up and pitched well in the bigs, their value would be much higher than it is now.

Think we'll both agree though, good problem to have with so much starting pitching at AAA :drinks:
Hermie13
MLB All Star
 
Posts: 7120
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Cleveland, OH


Return to Beyond The Minors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron